Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

GUNNARSON and WHITTINGHAM

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Will they work together in the center?

Are they too lightweight in midfield?
Would you want a hard nut to accompany one of them instead?

Opinions please :D

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: GUNNARSON and WHITTINGHAM

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:28 pm

Oli then Aron and Whitts can swap..

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:36 pm

I personally think that they're both good players but they won't be played at the same time..

Definitely need a strong holding midfielder like Olifinjana to allow Whittingham or Gunnarson to push up in behind the strikers in a centre attacking midfield role :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:39 pm

^ Play more of a 4-1-2-1-2 :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:42 pm

Olifinjana is shit. :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:46 pm

brilliantbluebirds09 wrote:Olifinjana is shit. :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:48 pm

I dont think so. I think hes a confidence player and when the team collapsed, he did big time. In the games we played well, he thrived and bossed games earlier on in the season, especially alongside Drinkwater. I honestly think he wasn't allowed to form a solid partnership in CDM just like neither of our defenders were under Jones. We need to be playing the same team week in, week out (injuries aside) so the players can gel properly and know how to play with each other. Alongside Drinkwater, he looked great.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Bloobirds101 wrote:

I dont think so. I think hes a confidence player and when the team collapsed, he did big time. In the games we played well, he thrived and bossed games earlier on in the season, especially alongside Drinkwater. I honestly think he wasn't allowed to form a solid partnership in CDM just like neither of our defenders were under Jones. We need to be playing the same team week in, week out (injuries aside) so the players can gel properly and know how to play with each other. Alongside Drinkwater, he looked great.

Seem to remember some Hull fan gave his two cents that he would start brightly and then fade as the season went on.

He was played further forward than maybe he preferred, Whitts was always utilised behind him, but for me he lived of the reputation of his first few games.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Surely Whittingham will be deployed on the right wing once again considering that Craig Conway is stronger with his left although I'm told equally at home on either wing. Gunnarsson and McPhail or maybe another new signing in the centre, maybe Nick Montgomery? We were linked with him last season and I've heared Leeds are keen too, may be worth a shout? :)

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:02 pm

Bloobirds101 wrote:

Thoroughly agree ! Them two alongside Whittingham was a dream combination !

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:06 pm

RFMH wrote:

It is not often that I agree with your posts but you are spot on here. Olifinjana was excellent when he first arrive playing alongside Drinkwater.When Drinkwater go injured it seemed to me that he did not have the same confidence in his midfield partners. Only my opinion.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:09 pm

RichBluebird wrote:Surely Whittingham will be deployed on the right wing once again considering that Craig Conway is stronger with his left although I'm told equally at home on either wing. Gunnarsson and McPhail or maybe another new signing in the centre, maybe Nick Montgomery? We were linked with him last season and I've heared Leeds are keen too, may be worth a shout? :)

So where is Bellers going to play,if he is here on your team sheet :?:

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:11 pm

Oops! Just shows us old timers can get used to this new technology. I meant to quote bloobirds post. Ah well I said what I wanted.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:37 pm

ccfc10- wrote:I personally think that they're both good players but they won't be played at the same time..

Definitely need a strong holding midfielder like Olifinjana to allow Whittingham or Gunnarson to push up in behind the strikers in a centre attacking midfield role :ayatollah:

Frimpong

Haven't heard anything about him for a while but let's wait and see

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:57 am

algy wrote:
RFMH wrote:

It is not often that I agree with your posts but you are spot on here. Olifinjana was excellent when he first arrive playing alongside Drinkwater.When Drinkwater go injured it seemed to me that he did not have the same confidence in his midfield partners. Only my opinion.

:shock: :shock: Did you go to the Jacks game at the Liberty in February :?: That was one of the best defensive midfiel performances I've seen in a City shirt since Kav was in his pomp :ayatollah:

There clearly was an issue in how Oli was being asked to play towards the end of the season but in all the games where his role was clear (behind Drinks or Ramsey) he was outstanding :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:10 am

ccfc10- wrote:I personally think that they're both good players but they won't be played at the same time..

Olifinjana was crap last season. Hope he's not coming back.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:28 am

To many times he was a nothing player for me. Ok when he was good he was brilliant but the rest of the time he was a ghost in midfield.
i guss its a question of will mm get the best out of ollie :?:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:29 am

also i think he got high wages. not 100% certain

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:07 am

Is Gunnarsson not the holding midfielder we've been looking for?

he's also comfortable at right back and hardly ever scores, so if
we are looking at him, surely it will be to shore up the holes left
when Whittingham, Conway and whoever else we sign pushes
forward. One promising thing, I thought for some reason he was
about 30!!... He's only 22!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:33 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:
RichBluebird wrote:Surely Whittingham will be deployed on the right wing once again considering that Craig Conway is stronger with his left although I'm told equally at home on either wing. Gunnarsson and McPhail or maybe another new signing in the centre, maybe Nick Montgomery? We were linked with him last season and I've heared Leeds are keen too, may be worth a shout? :)

I'd play him as a striker, that's where I thought he played best all season :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:51 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:

I don't think we'll end up getting Bellamy back myself, just think Man City are asking for too much for him and I'd be suprised if a deal could be agreed by the end of the transfer window. I'd love to see him back though and maybe would play him as a striker if he did return. For me though I think this team could be there or thereabouts next season: Marshall, McNaughton, Hudson, Gerrard, Taylor, Whittingham, Gunnarsson, McPhail, Conway, Earnshaw, Parkin. That's as good as any in the championship, well maybe not West Ham and Birmingham but no reason why this starting line-up along with a few extra new faces can't challenge for a play-off spot which for me in Malky's first season as manager would be a success. :) :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:22 am

Midfield general wrote:Whitts is rubbish. Too slow and lightweight in my opinion plus he goes missing in big games. GET RID

It depends where you play him, as the season before last, when he played out wide left, he was absolutely class!

DJ played him all over the place last season and IMO, he'd be better off moving back to the left!

The problem we have now however, is that Conway tends to play wide left, although he can play on the right as well!

Could be a big decision for Malky! :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:27 am

Midfield general wrote:Whitts is rubbish. Too slow and lightweight in my opinion plus he goes missing in big games. GET RID

All about the work ethic.

We had half a team that went missing in big games last season. I agree with
you about Whitts to an extent but he is one of the few players in this division
who can conjure something out of nothing. Keep him, just make sure he puts
a full shift in every game!!!

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:36 am

Midfield general wrote:We should have cashed in when Forest were looking at him. Everyone apart from the deluded knew that he would never have another season like he did two years ago.

As Ive said, too slow and goes missing too much over the season.

Well he didn't go missing the previous season and if he had been played out wide like he had the previous season, then he may well have chipped in with something like the 20 goals, he scored in the 2009-2010 season!

To be fair to him as well, he still managed to score 10 goals last season, which isn't bad for a midfield player and which would have been even better, if he'd not missed so many penalties! :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:39 am

Midfield general wrote:We should have cashed in when Forest were looking at him. Everyone apart from the deluded knew that he would never have another season like he did two years ago.

OK.......

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:41 am

Midfield general wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:

Well he didn't go missing the previous season and if he had been played out wide like he had the previous season, then he may well have chipped in with something like the 20 goals, he scored in the 2009-2010 season!

To be fair to him as well, he still managed to score 10 goals last season, which isn't bad for a midfield player and which would have been even better, if he'd not missed so many penalties! :ayatollah:

Many of those goals were penaltys and free kicks so I disagree and would say that he did go missing during that season too.

He scores 20 goals and he went missing? :shock:

Clearly there's no pleasing some people! :) :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:47 am

Midfield general wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:He scores 20 goals and he went missing? :shock:

Clearly there's no pleasing some people! :) :ayatollah:

Just because someone scores a penalty does is that enough over a 90 minute game..? It isn't for me as when he goes missing we may as well play with 10 men

He scored quite a few goals from open play during that season, including a hat trick at Sheffield United (1 penalty)!

I'm not saying that he's the world beater that we would all like him and all our other players to be, but he's still a quality player and as I said, DJ played him all over the place last season and he still chipped in with 10 goals! That's a decent return for a midfield player IMO! :ayatollah: