Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CITY STARS OF THE FUTURE

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:28 pm

CITY SIGN UP STARS OF THE FUTURE
Posted on: Fri 24 Jun 2011

Cardiff City Football Club is pleased to announce that our Academy has signed up a host of young talent to form the Bluebirds 2011/12 u18 squad.

Here are brief introductions to those players who have made the step up from u16 level this summer. In addition, we re-introduce some of our second-year players who were part of last season's squad. Keep an eye on the Academy section of this website (under the 'Team' tab) as we continue to build towards the 2011/12 Academy season.

Jaye BOWEN

Jaye was involved in the Welsh Victory Shield Squad last season and has shown great potential. The son of former Bluebird Jason Bowen, Jaye will prove a great asset to the u18 squad.

Dane GRIFFITHS

Dane is a strong and pacey centre forward who has been plagued by injuries in recent seasons. But he has proven that he has the ability to compete at u18 level and, having already been involved in the full-time programme over the past year, will now be pushing to lead the line at the start of the coming season.

Gethyn HILL

Gethyn is a tall striker with quick feet, who has impressed over the past few seasons by scoring many important goals at u16 level. His height will add a new dimension to the team and he'll be hoping to continue his goalscoring record at u18 level.

Rhys JAMES

Barry-born Rhys is a pacey centre forward with an eye for goal, who impressed in last year's Welsh Victory Shield Squad.

Declan JOHN

Born and bred in Merthyr, Dec has progressed through the age groups within our Academy over the years. Superb Victory Shield performances attracted huge attention for the tricky left winger, although he has now committed himself to an Apprenticeship with the Bluebirds.

Liam MATTHEWS

Liam is a big, commanding and brave goalkeeper who is very vocal on the pitch. Will hope to follow in cousin Adam's footsteps and one day play for the first team.

Tommy O'SULLIVAN

A clever, laid-back forward who always finds space for himself, Tommy is a product of the Academy system and also a member of this year's successful Victory Shield Squad.

Kane OWEN

A solid left-back who thrives on attacking, Kane has been in the Academy programme for many years. His forward thinking play will bring an exciting dimension to our game.

David RICHARDS

Dave was with the u18s last season and recently signed a two year Apprenticeship with the Club. A promising goalkeeper who has already established himself in the u18 team.

Theo WHARTON

Theo is an athletic central midfielder who has progressed well in his three seasons with the Club. He has already played a number of u18 matches and will now be looking to establish himself as a starting figure in the team.

Bradley WILLIAMS

A versatile midfielder who can also play defence. Bradley is a former Hereford United schoolboy player, who has adapted well to Academy football. His flexibility will be greatly beneficial to the squad.

Josh YORWERTH

Josh is a dominant centre-half who possesses leadership qualities, bravery and good technical ability. A good Victory Shield tournament proved Josh has all the potential to become a top-class defender and he will be looking to compete for a starting spot in the u18 squad this summer.

Re: CITY STARS OF THE FUTURE

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:33 pm

You can tell by the names who will be class and who wont :lol: :lol:

Theo Wharton - gonna be class
Dane Griffiths - gonna be class
Jaye Bowen - next Ramsey or Bale IMO - got the haircut
Tommy O'Sullivan - gonna be class IMO

Stick Kane Owen left back now. Probably already better than Naylor :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to them all. Quite possibly, our future. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:57 pm

It's got to be the way forward,love seeing youngsters coming through the ranks and into first team.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Know the lads well the talent is a Theo ,Josh and Declan They have along way to go but if these kids don't make it I would be suprused

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:22 pm

It looks good to see our youth players on here ..

It would be nice in years to come if we can develop the next Rambo ;)
Anyone on here know any of these players, and think they have what it takes to be our next superstar? :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Are Jaye Bowen and Tommy O`Sullivan twins with different surnames,...........LOL

Cant tell the difference

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:59 pm

I know tommy o Sullivan he was in my primary and my old secondary school he's a class striker :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Todgers Ccfc <3 wrote:I know tommy o Sullivan he was in my primary and my old secondary school he's a class striker :ayatollah:

is he from mountain ash area?

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:56 pm

yes his father paul used to play for mount town

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:28 pm

evans above wrote:yes his father paul used to play for mount town

Belonging to Stuart?

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:43 pm

Theo & Gethyn are brothers :lol:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:46 pm

tomCCFC wrote:Theo & Gethyn are brothers :lol:

They're not brothers, I played in the same team as them back in U9-U14's :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:52 pm

ccfc10- wrote:

They're not brothers, I played in the same team as them back in U9-U14's :ayatollah:

Where you from mate? :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:01 pm

tomCCFC wrote:
ccfc10- wrote:

Where you from mate? :ayatollah:

Pontypool, and you? :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:11 pm

Nt to Far then mate. Im frm Blaenavon, Live in Abergavenny now :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:53 am

evans above wrote:yes his father paul used to play for mount town

yeah his grandfather is Don. Hopefully he'll make it :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:49 am

I know both:

David RICHARDS

Dave was with the u18s last season and recently signed a two year Apprenticeship with the Club. A promising goalkeeper who has already established himself in the u18 team.

Theo WHARTON

Theo is an athletic central midfielder who has progressed well in his three seasons with the Club. He has already played a number of u18 matches and will now be looking to establish himself as a starting figure in the team.

Both dedicated people know Theo from school in cwmbran comes from a footballing family all talented to be fair but Theo is great for his age.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:18 am

Some background on the players a I have k ow the lads very well

Theo he is a very talented player and a great passer of the ball and would not be surprised if he makes it He is a timid person and needs to get a bit more of a rough side to himself but at 14 I said he could be a star

Josh if this kid does not become a professional I would be nightly surprise big and strong and a good ball player He will have to to keep his feet on the ground as he can become a bit cocky which I see as his only down fall that he may get distracted but a great talent

Declan talent lad another who will make the grade many clubs after him He is very quick and has a real nasty side to him when playing but in a good way Again another if he keeps his feet on the ground will be a top player

Jaye Bowen a double of his dad as a player great feet but he lacks pace and why's away from the tackle
Tommy not only looks like Jaye but plays like Jaye lacks pace but gets stuck in

Gethin was big and strong at a young age I think others will over take him as his size it not such advantage now and not the quickest

Rhys very quick and finishes well but poor ball control but give him a chance and he usually finishes

Dane was big an strong for his age I am afraid he has not got enough talent for where city want to be

The goalkeepers I can't comment on as really not my field but both seems very good but all seem to be very good at this level

Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:33 am

Milkybarkid wrote:Some background on the players a I have k ow the lads very well

Theo he is a very talented player and a great passer of the ball and would not be surprised if he makes it He is a timid person and needs to get a bit more of a rough side to himself but at 14 I said he could be a star

Josh if this kid does not become a professional I would be nightly surprise big and strong and a good ball player He will have to to keep his feet on the ground as he can become a bit cocky which I see as his only down fall that he may get distracted but a great talent

Declan talent lad another who will make the grade many clubs after him He is very quick and has a real nasty side to him when playing but in a good way Again another if he keeps his feet on the ground will be a top player

Jaye Bowen a double of his dad as a player great feet but he lacks pace and why's away from the tackle
Tommy not only looks like Jaye but plays like Jaye lacks pace but gets stuck in

Gethin was big and strong at a young age I think others will over take him as his size it not such advantage now and not the quickest

Rhys very quick and finishes well but poor ball control but give him a chance and he usually finishes

Dane was big an strong for his age I am afraid he has not got enough talent for where city want to be

The goalkeepers I can't comment on as really not my field but both seems very good but all seem to be very good at this level

"The Milky Bar kid is strong and tough, and only the best is good enough, the creamiest white, the milkiest bar, the goodness that's in Milky Bar!"

I have to comment that I think its wrong to be grading young lads , especially negatives on them in a public " fans" forum

It's of bad taste as they may well read it whilst punching their guts out trying to earn a Pro contract. Whats worse is that if you work at the Club in some shape or form - as you have indicated you should hang your head in shame and stick to white Choclate.

Cant you just wish them all well and congratulate them so far ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:24 pm

I know the local scout, he scouts for Cardiff, Swansea, Bristol city/rovers and bath. He is an Ex Pro footballer.
He is always telling me how poor the set up is at Cardiff, and how poorly run it is, sad as it is. He also says Swansea City is streets ahead of any other team in the area when it comes to there acadamy and developing there youngsters. :cry:

Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:46 pm

swansea don't even have an academy, its a centre of excellence. no indoor facilities of their own etc. so quite how they have a better set up i don't know. while our lads play other top academies their play garden village lol

Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:21 pm

i'm telling you know that tommy o sullivan is a great player ! hes a different class he runs the midfield id describe him as a mixture of a deco and a lampard ! true quality player defo one too look out for in the future !

Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:20 pm

I know Josh, very talented, but as mentioned above very cocky. Around school he's a bit of a nob, bully type.

but here's a great goal he scored v Scotland..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlUriQ8Hx6k not bad for a centre half.

here's a video of him fighting too.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTzd0shw ... re=related

Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:10 pm

Bloody Arsenal have an academy a stones throw from the CCS :o :o This has to be sorted like pronto. Sort our academy out.
I know not many liked Sam but you have to agree that he did wonders to our academy and since then they have destroyed it.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:59 pm

where is this arsenal academy?

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Bloody Arsenal have an academy a stones throw from the CCS :o :o This has to be sorted like pronto. Sort our academy out.
I know not many liked Sam but you have to agree that he did wonders to our academy and since then they have destroyed it.

No they haven't. - total bollocks.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:36 pm

Arsenal have a crap coaching academy down at GOL, about 4-5tiers away from the london area sort of academy, will never find a player there.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:39 pm

CCFC 24 wrote:Arsenal have a crap coaching academy down at GOL, about 4-5tiers away from the london area sort of academy, will never find a player there.

Arsenal Soccer School , which is a business franchise playing off the name thats all. It's shite too. The one i saw was hilarious with the inflated goals having a puncture and some yts kid having to pump them up every 2 minutes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:43 pm

http://www.playthearsenalway.com/ukcourses/holiday.html

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:04 am

milly44 wrote:I know the local scout, he scouts for Cardiff, Swansea, Bristol city/rovers and bath. He is an Ex Pro footballer.
He is always telling me how poor the set up is at Cardiff, and how poorly run it is, sad as it is. He also says Swansea City is streets ahead of any other team in the area when it comes to there acadamy and developing there youngsters. :cry:

I heard that when a youngster and his parents are deciding wether to join our Academy or not Cardiff actually encourage them to go and have a look at the facillities in Swansea and Bristol before they decide where to go.

We almost certainly have a better set up than Swansea because Toozy's (Steroid freak and all round Swansea bad boy :D ) Son has apparently joined our Academy :ayatollah: