Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

IF GOODWILLIE DOES SIGN

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:05 am

would he score more goals or less?
he scored 19 last season and was voted young player of the year three years running. ( not sure if that just for united or all the spl)
but as the spl is a less competitve league than the championship and less physical (or so ive heard) would he top 19?
on the other hand he surrounded by better players on his team (if he did come) and he with conway who from my understanding linked up well with each other.
thoughts?

Re: IF GOODWILLIE DOES SIGN

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:07 am

ROB CCFC wrote:would he score more goals or less?
he scored 19 last season and was voted young player of the year three years running. ( not sure if that just for united or all the spl)
but as the spl is a less competitve league than the championship and less physical (or so ive heard) would he top 19?
on the other hand he surrounded by better players on his team (if he did come) and he with conway who from my understanding linked up well with each other.
thoughts?

i think he may score just under, he will have good midfielders providing decent crosses and good through balls. Also him and Conway could devestate the oppositions defence as they've played with eachother and know how they both play :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:09 am

ROB CCFC wrote:would he score more goals or less?
thoughts?

i think 20 gaols would be great from him, if were signing him to be our number 1 striker. yes he was in a shit league against shit players but he also has crap players setting him up. pottentially being assited by bellamy conway and whitts.

dear me he could even get 30

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:09 am

catch 22 situation perfect example being kris boyd last season he was banging them in for fun for rangers in the spl then struggled badly at boro so i think alot depends on the way the team plays and if the system suits his style of play :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:13 am

he will defo find the championship a step up to what he's used to thats obvious as the spl is shit but the boy is good enuff for it. he scored the winner against the gers at ibrox and has just had his best season and he's still a younsgter.

him and conway will have an instant understanding. get him signed up i say. :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:45 am

the SPL is div 1-2 standard at best bar celtic and rangers the whole scotish football is gash and i doubt them two big teams would get out of are league lets be fair :lol:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:35 am

I think he is a good replacement for Chopra, He does not have lightning pace but is an intelligent player who gets into good positions, if you have the right footballing brain to get into scoring positions then that's a natural ability, he could definately do that in the championship!

I'd say 15-20 league goals would be a good return if he did sign! :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:40 am

not sure if you've heard of ross mccormack. but that guy has nothing on goodwillie :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:41 am

£2million his price tag what about his wages?

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:43 am

ROB CCFC wrote:£2million his price tag what about his wages?

2million for rangers we will pay around 1 i think. his wages probs be around 8-9k im guessing hes not going to be on much up in the spl. :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:45 am

bluebird7291 wrote:

2million for rangers we will pay around 1 i think. his wages probs be around 8-9k im guessing hes not going to be on much up in the spl. :ayatollah:

how come you think we would pay less than rangers?

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:48 am

ROB CCFC wrote:
bluebird7291 wrote:

dundee dont like rangers to put it nicelly lol. basically dont want to sell to a rival so they put a stupid price tag. i think they have accepted he wants to leave so they are going to sell him. :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:52 am

fingers crossed then

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:02 am

another prob with goodwillie we sign him then he gets banged up for rape at his court case bit of a gamble

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:08 am

tomo wrote:another prob with goodwillie we sign him then he gets banged up for rape at his court case bit of a gamble

tbh im not reading to much into that. this was going on in jan and nothing has been done so i doubt its true. also mm and rangers would not be after him if there was a chance this was true

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:09 am

He scored 17 goals in 37 SPL games which isn't a bad return. In the 8 games Dundee United played against the old firm he scored 3 goals which again is not bad.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:15 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:He scored 17 goals in 37 SPL games which isn't a bad return. In the 8 games Dundee United played against the old firm he scored 3 goals which again is not bad.

Granted Dundee United aren't Rangers, but look at Kris Boyd's record in SPL and in the Champ.

Scottish strikers can look like Graeme Hick - flat track bullies.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:20 am

nerd wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:He scored 17 goals in 37 SPL games which isn't a bad return. In the 8 games Dundee United played against the old firm he scored 3 goals which again is not bad.

Granted Dundee United aren't Rangers, but look at Kris Boyd's record in SPL and in the Champ.

Look at his age though ;)

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:32 am

nerd wrote:

kris boyd played for rangers though. f**k, eddie johnson would reach double figures playing for rangers coz they create so many chances against piss poor opposition. kris boyd never scored against the big teams. goodwilie does.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:17 pm

Cardiff Daft! wrote:
nerd wrote:

kris boyd played for rangers though. f**k, eddie johnson would reach double figures playing for rangers coz they create so many chances against piss poor opposition. kris boyd never scored against the big teams. goodwilie does.

Unless I've missed a season, soccerbase gives 4 goals in 23 games vs Celtic and Rangers.

Who are these big teams Goodwillie has scored against again?

Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:41 pm

nerd wrote:Unless I've missed a season, soccerbase gives 4 goals in 23 games vs Celtic and Rangers.

Who are these big teams Goodwillie has scored against again?

4 in 23 games!!!!!! thats over about 5 seasons! :lol: so less than one a season on average against celtic and they play 4 times a season at least. never scores against the big teams! if your gonna be a dick about it then hardly ever would have been more accurate! so what other big teams did he score against then???? :roll:

goodwillie scored 2 v celtic and 1 v rangers last season alone off the top of my memory so thats an average of 3 goals against big teams to kris boyds average of less than 1 :roll:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:44 pm

A lot of nonsense on this thread, Kris Boyd is not a 'perfect example' at all. This is a post I made yesterday:

Completely different type of player to Boyd and quite a few years younger as well. Boyd is a poacher, he'll score goals if you give him service. Middlesbrough didn't, Nottingham Forest did. He's always been a pretty shite footballer at SPL level.

I'd say a more accurate comparison is with Steven Fletcher who has scored a decent amount of goals in the English Premier League since moving from Hibs (10 goals last season despite being 2nd choice behind Doyle and 8 the season before despite being used on the wing quite a few times). Fletcher didn't score half as many as Boyd in the SPL. The difference is that Fletcher is a good footballer and had the ability to make the step up. Funny how Boyd is always mentioned when the subject of Scottish strikers comes up but not Fletcher or even McCormack who had a brilliant first season for Cardiff without scoring that many for Motherwell.

IMO Goodwillie is a better player than all of those I've mentioned above. Don't forget that, as well as scoring 17 league goals, he also had 10 league assists - the best in the SPL. He's young, skilful, and composed in front of goal. If Fletcher can make the step up to being a 10-15 goalscorer in the EPL then Goodwillie certainly can. He has the potential to star in the championship and be an EPL standard player. If he doesn't it will be more down to attitude rather than ability.

That's not to mention Jason Scotland and Stephen Dobbie (who both played in the first division in Scotland) and have done as well/better in the championship.

I'd say there have been more successes than failures. Kris Boyd (who, as I've said, has always been shite at everything other than scoring goals) is regarded as a failure - he scored 6 goals in 10 games for Forest.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:51 pm

I tHINK its a positive sign that the manager is not chasing the same old players who lets be honest are only available because nobody else wants them.he thinks he can sign these young talented players and mould them into a side........lets back him and the team and not expect too much too early. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:06 pm

I think the best gauge as to how good-Willie is :D ...

Is the rave reviews from all the Dundee Utd supporters about him.
So many positive comments? they cant all be wrong, and i doubt
they are.

Whoever gets this lad is getting a future star in my opinion

Could be the best £2m this club will ever spend :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Him Bellamy and Conway up there sounds quite exciting.

Goodwillie apparently has bigger 'tougher' defenders bouncing off
him. He's fearless. Me likey!!!

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:11 pm

hes 22.

he still has a lot to learn as a striker and in the championship he'll learn more.

it also depends who we bring in.

if someone like bellamy and whitts can supply him, or maybe a routledge now QPR have pulled out, then who knows? he could be clinical, yet never got the service as much at Dundee.

Beckford has done well going from League One to the Premiership. Roger Johnson and Scott Dann have both been down in the lower leagues, look at them now.

Until he comes here and tests himself no one knows.

1) he could struggle and not be as influential
2) he could be a good signing and grow as a player

Also, stop comparing him to Boyd. Boyd is lazy, doesn't chase anything down, expects to get supplied left right and centre and acts as if the ball should be a magnet that is attracted to him. Goodwillie hassles defenders, will be a nuisance. Hes basically the scottish version of Shane Long. At Dundee his work rate is exceptional from what i've seen and I hope its the same when he comes here. To me, when i've watched him, I see glimpses of Bellamy in him and maybe that explains his attitude off the pitch too. Maybe he just needs to channel his passionate ways and put them in effect on the pitch rather than off the pitch. I believe Malky is the perfect manager to do that whereas Jones would have put him on the scrap heap.

I've watched the SPL, Goodwillie in my opinion is too good for the SPL. He's better than any players Rangers have and the only reason they want him cheap is because

1) Its Dundee and they think the lure of a champions league club will turn his head - Rangers and Celtic always try to rip off other SPL clubs then later sell players to the English leagues or foreign leagues for profit.
2) The trial and the fact they want to use that to get a bargain.

They're trying to pull a fast one and rip off Dundee. At £2m hes a bargain. Im not just saying that because hes linked with us. Im saying it because hes easily worth £5-7m in my opinion.

I really hope we sign him.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:13 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:the SPL is div 1-2 standard at best bar celtic and rangers the whole scotish football is gash and i doubt them two big teams would get out of are league lets be fair :lol:

What a load of rubbish, teams in the top half of the SPL would hold their own in the championship no problem, they may not be contenders for promotion but would easily be mid table. You lot sound as arrogant as the english.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:16 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:
ROB CCFC wrote:
bluebird7291 wrote:2million for rangers we will pay around 1 i think. his wages probs be around 8-9k im guessing hes not going to be on much up in the spl. :ayatollah:

dundee dont like rangers to put it nicelly lol. basically dont want to sell to a rival so they put a stupid price tag. i think they have accepted he wants to leave so they are going to sell him. :ayatollah:

He wont leave for anything less than 2 million, our chairman has stated this many times. If he goes to you, rangers or someone else it will be for NO LESS than 2 million.

Obviously we would prefer he headed to you guys or another team down south but if Rangers were to come in with a 2 million offer then we would accept.