Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE SUN YESTERDAY...

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:21 am

When reporting that cardiff was in the top 10 travel destinations described cardiff as a rugby loving city :twisted:

Re: THE SUN YESTERDAY...

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:23 am

We do have a rather big rugby stadium in the town center. Easy assumption to make from an outsiders perspective :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:52 am

let the rest of the world think whatever they want about us. Aslong as i think cardiff is a football city im happy :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:12 am

You know all Welshmen and a lot of Welsh women are all Rugby fanatics (just check out the Blues attendances), It's our national sport ffs and Cardiff is our Capital City, I can't believe people on this board consider football as more popular than rugby!!

Had you all going there for a minute. :lol: Unfortunately people from places other than Wales are under the impression that all of us lovvvvvvvvve our egg, it's the impression that the media gives to the outside world and to be honest it's probably one of the few things that we're reasonably good at, so it's a good sales pitch to bring in egg followers from around the world. Personally I can't be arsed with the egg but if it brings in money to our economy then let the dreamers have their dream.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:40 am

Its all about exposure aint it.

When it comes to Club Support Football smashes Rugby to pieces.

When it comes to the Country, Rugby smashes Football to pieces.

And what do people in France, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Argentina, South Africa etc etc etc see, they see Wales playing sell out Rugby Matches at the MillStad which is beamed all over the world. It all looks very romantic, the place is full, land of my fathers belting out with 15 huge blokes running out wearing the red of wales proud as punch belting out the anthem with their arms round eachother in line.

If any sod is unlucky enough to see a Wales Football International they will probably see us lose to Belarus in from of 14,000 in a 72,000 seater stadium or watch us be outnumbered by Jocks at the CCS or watch us half fill the CCS against Bulgaria, whilst a few Welshmen and the rest made up of Englishmen who's Nan had a pet Welsh Rabbit stand in silence or mumble away.

Then it comes to the away support, when Wales Rugby go away they take thousands and when Wales Football play away it can be anything from as little as 100-1000 with the odd exception, thats what the people on the streets in other nations see, next year Dublin will be full of thousand of Taffs over for the Six Nations and when Wales played in Dublin in the Football Tournament recently we took 200 over.. :lol:

Now I know as much as the next man that the majority of these people are daytrippers and not proper Rugby Fans but its the reason why Wales is seen as a Rugby Loving Nation outside of our land.

The only time this will start to change is when Cardiff and Swansea are BOTH in the Premiership and Welsh Club Football Sides are beamed around the world on a regular basis.

:ayatollah: