Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: STUDENTS OVER ON CCMB

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:35 pm

Dafydd wrote:I'm learning to build computer games for a living.

Enjoyable, relatively easy (for me), and gives a good job at the end of it (with a viable portfolio of work, of course).

That will in time turn out to be a very good choice. As computer chip technology develops and the programming techniques catch up we will see an increase in computer simulations for training purposes in some of the more dangerous industries, fire fighting for example. There are scenarios which you simply cannot train for in "real life" due to the inherent danger but full 3D computer simulations can provide that training at no risk to the trainee whatsoever. Make a mistake in the real world and you die, train on a 3D simulation and if you screw up just reset the system.

I don't know too much about the current technology but I wouldn't have thought we are too far away from the 3D holographic systems now. As something of hobby back in the olden days I did see my fortune in using 3D matrix analysis as a programming tool but got bored so went down the pub. :D

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:44 pm

chris_ccfc wrote:I have no regrets about leaving school at 16 and making my own way in life. If I had gone to university I would have graduated last year with a large debt and possibly still looking for employment. Instead I have worked hard from 16 and have found myself creating a good career and enjoying a great lifestyle.

It could have course backfired on me and no doubt I had a bit of luck along the way but I believe that its a myth that you need to go on to higher education to gain a better career for yourself. Many people I know in top positions at companies didn't bother with higher education at all and they have done alright.

Anyone who gets a decent degree and researches the sector before making their choice will get a job within 6 months of graduation. It depends how much you want it, how much effort you put in on your degree etc. Thats why I laugh when i hear Oxford big wigs banging on about stuff, doesn't mean anything unless you're going to put it to use in the real world and learn from that. A lot of them know how to fill in exams but when the real world comes calling, haven't got an answer. Then there is those that choose idiotic degrees and then complain they haven't got a job. What do they expect?

Someone with a degree in a respected subject is going to be respected by a prospective employer. Its very simple to work out. With some students, I honestly don't understand what goes through their heads when they pick their courses as they clearly haven't researched the sector, the employability rates, whether the sector is growing, what jobs are in demand and what skills are needed. Its all well having a dream but to achieve it you need a plan of action.

On average, graduates earn £100,000 more during their lifetime than someone who didn't go to university. If they got rid of stupid degrees then that figure would be a lot higher. Unfortunately, these degrees are still around, students take up daft degrees to get free loans so the state pays for their free ride partying and then they complain when they haven't got a job.

Do a decent degree, enjoy yourself whilst your at it and get the benefits from it afterwards. Work hard, play hard, earn hard!

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:46 pm

Enjoyable, relatively easy (for me), and gives a good job at the end of it (with a viable portfolio of work, of course).

You seem a very sensible lad by adding that.

Thats one thing many people miss out on during education. They think 'I have a degree, i should get a job'. A degree isn't a magic pass into the working world. You still need to separate yourself from the rest. Thats where a portfolio comes into play.

Good luck :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:48 pm

f**k me you lot sound a right bunch of Rodneys :lol: :lol:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:49 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:f**k me you lot sound a right bunch of Rodneys :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Willy the Wombat wrote:

That will in time turn out to be a very good choice. As computer chip technology develops and the programming techniques catch up we will see an increase in computer simulations for training purposes in some of the more dangerous industries, fire fighting for example. There are scenarios which you simply cannot train for in "real life" due to the inherent danger but full 3D computer simulations can provide that training at no risk to the trainee whatsoever. Make a mistake in the real world and you die, train on a 3D simulation and if you screw up just reset the system.

I don't know too much about the current technology but I wouldn't have thought we are too far away from the 3D holographic systems now. As something of hobby back in the olden days I did see my fortune in using 3D matrix analysis as a programming tool but got bored so went down the pub. :D

Agreed.

Artificial Intelligence within the next 15 years is going to boom for the exact reasons you just said, to avoid the risk of human injury or death.

Its already used in hospitals to pick out medicines and so on and will only continue to improve. The Computing industry is definitely one to get into and its better to do a respected degree like Software Engineering/Comp Sci/AI and Robotics than IT, which isn't as maths/physics based as the others.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:22 pm

Can't wait to hopefully study English :D

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:26 pm

whilst we are on the subject, my partner just finished her masters. Very proud...roll on the big pension!! haha

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:43 pm

Willy the Wombat wrote:That will in time turn out to be a very good choice. As computer chip technology develops and the programming techniques catch up we will see an increase in computer simulations for training purposes in some of the more dangerous industries, fire fighting for example. There are scenarios which you simply cannot train for in "real life" due to the inherent danger but full 3D computer simulations can provide that training at no risk to the trainee whatsoever. Make a mistake in the real world and you die, train on a 3D simulation and if you screw up just reset the system.

Personal opinion is that 3D technology in its current form (e.g. 3D televisions) are just a phase - it'll soon be gone. However, I believe holographic technology will be the way forward.

The good thing about the course I'm doing is that it's C++, C# and even F# programming (different programming languages) which aren't only helpful in computer games - C++ is a language that most software (on a pc) is written in, so my course could lead me into any software development role as well as games development.

Artificial Intelligence is a growing industry in itself, whether it be A.I in computer games (I had to write an essay on that and can specialize on it in my final year should I want to) or A.I in general (used in all industries and walks of life).

I'm not really that good at computer graphics (my worst subject), but then thats more design than development so it doesn't really bother me :D

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:45 pm

Dafydd wrote:
Willy the Wombat wrote:That will in time turn out to be a very good choice. As computer chip technology develops and the programming techniques catch up we will see an increase in computer simulations for training purposes in some of the more dangerous industries, fire fighting for example. There are scenarios which you simply cannot train for in "real life" due to the inherent danger but full 3D computer simulations can provide that training at no risk to the trainee whatsoever. Make a mistake in the real world and you die, train on a 3D simulation and if you screw up just reset the system.

Personal opinion is that 3D technology in its current form (e.g. 3D televisions) are just a phase - it'll soon be gone. However, I believe holographic technology will be the way forward.

The good thing about the course I'm doing is that it's C++, C# and even F# programming (different programming languages) which aren't only helpful in computer games - C++ is a language that most software (on a pc) is written in, so my course could lead me into any software development role as well as games development.

Artificial Intelligence is a growing industry in itself, whether it be A.I in computer games (I had to write an essay on that and can specialize on it in my final year should I want to) or A.I in general (used in all industries and walks of life).

I'm not really that good at computer graphics (my worst subject), but then thats more design than development so it doesn't really bother me :D

f*cking :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:47 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:f*cking :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wheres the middle finger smiley when you need one :knob: :thefinger: :D

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Dafydd wrote:

Spot on. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: