Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Dundee Utd thoughts on Goodwillie

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Looks like a bargain if we get him. Heres a few of their thoughts -

http://www.eastfootball.co.uk/forum/sho ... hp?t=33647

Re: Dundee Utd thoughts on Goodwillie

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:02 pm

good news if we get him. I watched the scottish cup final and was impressed by his work rate. Always thought he'd go to Rangers because they've been after him for months. I agree with some of them, if we get him for £2m then thats a steal.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:09 pm

Bloobirds101 wrote:good news if we get him. I watched the scottish cup final and was impressed by his work rate. Always thought he'd go to Rangers because they've been after him for months. I agree with some of them, if we get him for £2m then thats a steal.

Bear in mind the Scottish Cup Final was equal to us playing Port Vale :lol:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:11 pm

GarethGardner wrote:Looks like a bargain if we get him. Heres a few of their thoughts -

http://www.eastfootball.co.uk/forum/sho ... hp?t=33647

I had just signed up to post a link to that thread for you, had to wait on my account activating and then you have beat me to it :lol:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Highly rated but then so was Boyd. He is young and seems enthusiast though... In malky I trust.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:15 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Highly rated but then so was Boyd. He is young and seems enthusiast though... In malky I trust.

He is a completely different player to Boyd.

Boyd is a poaching lazy bugger who only scored so many goals at Rangers because he played in a team who probably created the most amount of chances per season.

Goodie is better technically than Boyd and will go on to be 5 times the player.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:19 pm

goodie wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Highly rated but then so was Boyd. He is young and seems enthusiast though... In malky I trust.

Boyd is a poaching lazy bugger who only scored so many goals at Rangers because he played in a team who probably created the most amount of chances per season.

Agree. Once Boyd moved down to Boro I think everybody kind of guessed he would struggle :lol:

Welcome though :ayatollah: Cheers for your thoughts on the guy ! I haven't really followed his off the field antics, so what exactly has he done ?

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:32 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
goodie wrote:

Agree. Once Boyd moved down to Boro I think everybody kind of guessed he would struggle :lol:

Welcome though :ayatollah: Cheers for your thoughts on the guy ! I haven't really followed his off the field antics, so what exactly has he done ?

Well he was accused of statutory rape last year but nothing has been said about a possible court date even just for a plea. He was also involved in a drunken fight in Glasgow last November but at the time he was not charged but two of our other players were as he was seemingly acquitted due to CCTV footage. However this appeared yesterday on bbc news

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-13883757

It has confused us arabs as we thought that was the end of it and it is hard to imagine that some kind of evidence from a police case as low as a drunken fight has come to light 7 months later :?

I would not be surprised though if it were biased reporting from BBC Scotland since Rangers have came out and said he is not worth 2 million. The Old Firm have a habit of unsettling clubs and players in order to get our best players on the cheap. Then they have the hard neck to moan in the media how there is no competition for them in Scotland. The old firm are everything that is wrong with Scottish football and that is why I am clad Conway turned the huns down and hopefully the same with goodie

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Completely different type of player to Boyd and quite a few years younger as well. Boyd is a poacher, he'll score goals if you give him service. Middlesbrough didn't, Nottingham Forest did. He's always been a pretty shite footballer at SPL level.

I'd say a more accurate comparison is with Steven Fletcher who has scored a decent amount of goals in the English Premier League since moving from Hibs (10 goals last season despite being 2nd choice behind Doyle and 8 the season before despite being used on the wing quite a few times). Fletcher didn't score half as many as Boyd in the SPL. The difference is that Fletcher is a good footballer and had the ability to make the step up. Funny how Boyd is always mentioned when the subject of Scottish strikers comes up but not Fletcher or even McCormack who had a brilliant first season for Cardiff without scoring that many for Motherwell.

IMO Goodwillie is a better player than all of those I've mentioned above. Don't forget that, as well as scoring 17 league goals, he also had 10 league assists - the best in the SPL. He's young, skilful, and composed in front of goal. If Fletcher can make the step up to being a 10-15 goalscorer in the EPL then Goodwillie certainly can. He has the potential to star in the championship and be an EPL standard player. If he doesn't it will be more down to attitude rather than ability.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:02 pm

AC- wrote:Completely different type of player to Boyd and quite a few years younger as well. Boyd is a poacher, he'll score goals if you give him service. Middlesbrough didn't, Nottingham Forest did. He's always been a pretty shite footballer at SPL level.

I'd say a more accurate comparison is with Steven Fletcher who has scored a decent amount of goals in the English Premier League since moving from Hibs (10 goals last season despite being 2nd choice behind Doyle and 8 the season before despite being used on the wing quite a few times). Fletcher didn't score half as many as Boyd in the SPL. The difference is that Fletcher is a good footballer and had the ability to make the step up. Funny how Boyd is always mentioned when the subject of Scottish strikers comes up but not Fletcher or even McCormack who had a brilliant first season for Cardiff without scoring that many for Motherwell.

IMO Goodwillie is a better player than all of those I've mentioned above. Don't forget that, as well as scoring 17 league goals, he also had 10 league assists - the best in the SPL. He's young, skilful, and composed in front of goal. If Fletcher can make the step up to being a 10-15 goalscorer in the EPL then Goodwillie certainly can. He has the potential to star in the championship and be an EPL standard player. If he doesn't it will be more down to attitude rather than ability.

I agree with all this. Good first post. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I watch SPL and its easy to spot talent up there because players either have it or they're crap.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Better than Chopra - more guts than Bothroyd - bring him on

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:31 pm

bon jovi wrote:Better than Chopra - more guts than Bothroyd - bring him on

Well said Pete

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:58 pm

In my previous post I spoke about how good I think Craig Conway is and the potential he has.

However, if there is one lad in the SPL that you would want, it is David Goodwillie. United fans are resigned to losing him this summer. We'd be delighted if this was to an EPL team as the majority of us think that is the level of his talent. However, we'd be very happy to see him go to Cardiff as the last thing we'd want is to see him end up at Celtic or Rangers where he could harm us and potentially stunt his development.

I have not been this excited about a Dundee United prospect since Duncan Ferguson (coincidently, they played at the same boys club).

David Goddwillie has the pace, power, eye for goal and most importantly complete confidence (perhaps arrogance) you need from a top centre forward.

The above comparisons are wide of the mark in my opinion. He is as close as you'll get to Craig Bellamy anywhere in the UK.

If he signs for Cardiff I can see him having a long legendary career in Wales. Master stroke signing him and Conway as they know each others game inside out. If only Goodwillie had the same mentality as Conway. As I say... head screwed on like Bellamy.

Zippy

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:02 pm

The point about point wasn't meant literally.

Goodwille sounds like he had something and it's a name I'd have on my shirt lol

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:15 pm

AC- wrote:Completely different type of player to Boyd and quite a few years younger as well. Boyd is a poacher, he'll score goals if you give him service. Middlesbrough didn't, Nottingham Forest did. He's always been a pretty shite footballer at SPL level.

Interesting, cheers :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:20 pm

Cheers also goodie for clearing up the stuff about his off the pitch stuff !
zippy wrote:In my previous post I spoke about how good I think Craig Conway is and the potential he has.

However, if there is one lad in the SPL that you would want, it is David Goodwillie. United fans are resigned to losing him this summer. We'd be delighted if this was to an EPL team as the majority of us think that is the level of his talent. However, we'd be very happy to see him go to Cardiff as the last thing we'd want is to see him end up at Celtic or Rangers where he could harm us and potentially stunt his development.

I have not been this excited about a Dundee United prospect since Duncan Ferguson (coincidently, they played at the same boys club).

David Goddwillie has the pace, power, eye for goal and most importantly complete confidence (perhaps arrogance) you need from a top centre forward.

The above comparisons are wide of the mark in my opinion. He is as close as you'll get to Craig Bellamy anywhere in the UK.

If he signs for Cardiff I can see him having a long legendary career in Wales. Master stroke signing him and Conway as they know each others game inside out. If only Goodwillie had the same mentality as Conway. As I say... head screwed on like Bellamy.

Zippy

Thanks for that great insight Zippy, great to have you on here :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:44 pm

Alright lads, hope you take Goodie cos don't want him at Rangers playing against us and them selling him on for a huge profit. Since you signed Craig Conway (LEGEND) would love you to take Goodie too and then with two of our legends playing together again it will be very exciting for us United fans to see. I will be very interested in cardiff city next season . ;)

Anyway the money quoted (£2m) is a fraction of his value, seriously. He is too good for rangers or celtic, they would only sell him on and make cash . He needs to get away from Scotland and make a fresh start , glasgow would be the worst possible move for him . Would love goodwillie to stay for our europa game though , its going to be a tough game to win without .

Anyway im excited for this new season not only for my club , but for my new welsh team . Already got my eye on the shirt with conway's name on the back ! Is there any chance of a tangerine away shirt any time soon???? :lol:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:50 pm

CardiffCity_DundeeUtd wrote:Alright lads, hope you take Goodie cos don't want him at Rangers playing against us and them selling him on for a huge profit. Since you signed Craig Conway (LEGEND) would love you to take Goodie too and then with two of our legends playing together again it will be very exciting for us United fans to see. I will be very interested in cardiff city next season . ;)

Anyway the money quoted (£2m) is a fraction of his value, seriously. He is too good for rangers or celtic, they would only sell him on and make cash . He needs to get away from Scotland and make a fresh start , glasgow would be the worst possible move for him . Would love goodwillie to stay for our europa game though , its going to be a tough game to win without .

Anyway im excited for this new season not only for my club , but for my new welsh team . Already got my eye on the shirt with conway's name on the back ! Is there any chance of a tangerine away shirt any time soon???? :lol:

Welcome :ayatollah: Agree with the away kit,after all DJ loved his ex wolves players,so most of our team have put on the tangerine ;)

Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:06 pm

CardiffCity_DundeeUtd wrote:Alright lads, hope you take Goodie cos don't want him at Rangers playing against us and them selling him on for a huge profit. Since you signed Craig Conway (LEGEND) would love you to take Goodie too and then with two of our legends playing together again it will be very exciting for us United fans to see. I will be very interested in cardiff city next season . ;)

Mate, we signed Bellamy last year but we still werent as excited as we are for this season!
Reason being, Dave Jones had a vast array of talent at his disposal but could not get them
to play together.

Mackay is like a breath of fresh air, his training methods, attitude towards diet, discipline
and his philosophy of pressing hard when you dont have the ball... and hit hard and fast
when you do is modern, and the way forward.

Conway is a great start, i'm wondering whether Malky has already spoken to 'the goody'

What i cant figure out though is this rape thing? its very very serious, yet he still got all
those awards, and was still picked for Scotland... are we missing something here???

GOODYYYYYYY - GOODY GOODY YUMMM YUMMMMM!!!

Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:46 pm

taffyapple wrote:

Mate, we signed Bellamy last year but we still werent as excited as we are for this season!
Reason being, Dave Jones had a vast array of talent at his disposal but could not get them
to play together.

Mackay is like a breath of fresh air, his training methods, attitude towards diet, discipline
and his philosophy of pressing hard when you dont have the ball... and hit hard and fast

Conway is a great start, i'm wondering whether Malky has already spoken to 'the goody'

What i cant figure out though is this rape thing? its very very serious, yet he still got all
those awards, and was still picked for Scotland... are we missing something here???

Taffy, take this how you want but I just spoke to my neice who used to live in Dundee and is the best friend of Goodies fiance who's name is Chelsi. The girl that initially reported the so-called rape that Goodie was supposed to have commited has dropped all charges, I find that a bit strange to be honest. That might be the reason why Goodie, as you so rightly mentioned, got all the awards and got picked for Scotland because maybe he NEVER did the crime, so maybe we are missing something. My neice also asked Chelsi in a text might she be coming to Cardiff to live and Chelsi text her back and said we might be with a wink smillie after it so make of that what you wish also.
She also knows Conway and said that Conway and Goodie comes as a package, all sounds positive to me.
I hope we get him, would be an absolute gift for Cardiff City tbh. Her's to wishing and hoping.
I think we could be having a lot of Dundee Utd fans following us next season, watch this space :D

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:56 pm

struggling to contain the excitement right now!!! :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:01 pm

tenerife_blu wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

to play together.

Taffy, take this how you want but I just spoke to my neice who used to live in Dundee and is the best friend of Goodies fiance who's name is Chelsi. The girl that initially reported the so-called rape that Goodie was supposed to have commited has dropped all charges, I find that a bit strange to be honest. That might be the reason why Goodie, as you so rightly mentioned, got all the awards and got picked for Scotland because maybe he NEVER did the crime, so maybe we are missing something. My neice also asked Chelsi in a text might she be coming to Cardiff to live and Chelsi text her back and said we might be with a wink smillie after it so make of that what you wish also.
She also knows Conway and said that Conway and Goodie comes as a package, all sounds positive to me.
I hope we get him, would be an absolute gift for Cardiff City tbh. Her's to wishing and hoping.
I think we could be having a lot of Dundee Utd fans following us next season, watch this space :D

I hope your right. He's a brilliant prospect!

If the charges have been dropped then SHE should be thrown in Jail!!

Lets get him here!!!!

Sounds like the hottest Scottish prospect for twenty years

£2m now could mean £20m in a years time :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:49 pm

[quote="taffyapple[/quote]

I hope your right. He's a brilliant prospect! Well this is what my neice has told me so I hope its right also.

If the charges have been dropped then SHE should be thrown in Jail!! I totally agree with you, if she dont want to pursue the alleged crime then they should investigate why she accused him in the first place.

Lets get him here!!!! Again I totally agree

Sounds like the hottest Scottish prospect for twenty years. yes I have been reading up on him and the only negative thing that I read about him is his lack of pace but he makes up for that in everything else

£2m now could mean £20m in a years time. I think we can safely say we agree on everything about David Goodwillie :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:[/quote]

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:17 pm

tenerife_blu wrote:[quote="taffyapple

I hope your right. He's a brilliant prospect! Well this is what my neice has told me so I hope its right also.

If the charges have been dropped then SHE should be thrown in Jail!! I totally agree with you, if she dont want to pursue the alleged crime then they should investigate why she accused him in the first place.

Lets get him here!!!! Again I totally agree

Sounds like the hottest Scottish prospect for twenty years. yes I have been reading up on him and the only negative thing that I read about him is his lack of pace but he makes up for that in everything else

£2m now could mean £20m in a years time. I think we can safely say we agree on everything about David Goodwillie :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:[/quote]

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

If however, he turned out to be guilty, id happily chop off his cock myself!!

But there are far too many of these slappers now, getting pissed out their
heads on champagne, think they've pulled a 'big fish'... then when he tells
them thanks but no thanks the next day... they cry rape! they deserve
jail cos it makes it all the more harder to convict the genuine sick bastards!!

I hope he does come here and in three months we are only talking about his
footballing skills and "whats Ferguson doing here again?" :ayatollah: