Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff and Dundee Utd in talks about David Goodwillie

Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:22 pm

By Jim Spence

BBC Scotland

Cardiff City are in discussions with Dundee United as they bid to sign Scotland striker David Goodwillie.

Rangers owner Craig Whyte this week told United they were asking too much after being quoted £2m for the player.

But new Cardiff manager Malky Mackay is understood to have a large transfer budget and is believed to be a big admirer of the 22-year-old.

A United spokesman told BBC Scotland that, after a tentative enquiry, Cardiff had now entered discussions.

The Bluebirds, who missed out on promotion to England's top flight via the play-offs, on Thursday signed Craig Conway after the Scotland winger rejected a new contract with United and was also courted by Rangers.

It is thought that an English Premier League club had also contacted United, but the Welsh club and the Ibrox outfit appear to have made the strongest moves for Goodwillie.

However, after United counterpart Stephen Thompson named his price, Whyte told Rangers' website: "I think, for that individual player, £2m is too steep.

"But I am sure there are more conversations to be had with Dundee United."

The Tayside club rejected two bids for Goodwillie in January because they did not match their asking price.

Scotland's young player of the year and United's top scorer last season with 18 goals is under contract at Tannadice until 2013.

Continue reading the main story If he goes, it'll allow me to strengthen the team, but I'd be foolish to want rid of him
Peter Houston

Dundee United manager
He received his first call-up for Scotland in November 2010 in a friendly against the Faroe Islands, coming on as a 76th-minute substitute.

United manager Peter Houston is reluctant to lose his top scorer but would dearly love some extra funds to bolster his squad.

"I'm caught between a rock and a hard place with Goody," he told BBC Scotland.

"If he goes, it'll allow me to strengthen the team, but I'd be foolish to want rid of him. He scores between 15 and 20 goals a season.

"But we're a provincial club and, if somebody offers the right money for him, he'll be off.

"Rangers enquired about what his valuation was. The chairman told them what that is and I think Rangers felt it was a bit too much for them.

"So far, there has been no bid and no money on the table from them.

"I think the feeling from whoever spoke to the chairman was 'it's a bit too rich for us'."

Although Rangers may be scared off by the asking price, Ibrox midfielder Lee McCulloch reckons the striker would be a great addition to manager Ally McCoist's squad.

"He had a fantastic season last season," McCulloch told BBC Scotland.

"He caused us problems. He's got great ability, great pace and obviously he scores goals."

Re: Cardiff and Dundee Utd in talks about David Goodwillie

Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:52 pm

seems a very good player who has a lot of potential, but again his off the field problems are fairly concerning

Re: Cardiff and Dundee Utd in talks about David Goodwillie

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:51 pm

Surely Houston would prefer him come to us than rivals.

Hopefully they sell him to us. Good work by Malky if he pulls it off.

He's class and i've been a fan of his for some time.

I dont care what he does off the pitch, as long as puts in 100% on it.