Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Conway is a Bluebird !!

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Yes its now official ....... welcome aboard :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah:

Club News

CONWAY RELISHING CITY CHALLENGE

READING BOOK PLACE AT WEMBLEY
CRAIG CONWAY SIGNING CONFIRMED
Posted on: Thu 23 Jun 2011

Cardiff City Football Club can confirm the signing of Scottish international Craig Conway on a three year deal, subject to Football League approval.

The former Dundee United winger - who's deal at Tannadice expired at the end of last season - becomes new manager Malky Mackay's first signing for the Bluebirds. He joins the Club as a free agent.

Speaking exclusively to cardiffcityfc.co.uk, twenty-six year old Craig told us: "It's really exciting to be coming in at this time and to be the manager's first signing at the Club.

"I would imagine there's a few more to follow, so I'm just really looking forward to settling in here, starting pre-season training and getting to know the boys."

Read Craig's first Bluebirds interview in full this afternoon on this website. To watch the interview, go to Cardiff City Player or click on the link below.

Re: Conway is a Bluebird !!

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:22 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:22 pm

happy days :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:23 pm

brilliant first signing, hope theres a few more equally as good :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Last edited by CarmarthenBluebird on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

was waiting for the official post...

happy days.. will be a great replacement for burke..

keep em coming malkay!

Class signing there

lets hope we can now get earnie by the end of the week aswell :D :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:25 pm

Good signing first one for MM more to come :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:32 pm

My mate is a gutted Dundee Utd fan but he sent me this message

Conway on his day is one on the best wide wingers in Scotland.
Scored 2 goals in the cup final last year and propelled us from bottom to 4th in the league when he came back from injury.

He is better than Burke.
He'll do a job for you boys no problem, great crosser and on dead ball, prob score 5-10 goals and set up twice that

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:33 pm

brilliant signing - does that mean if Bellamy signs he is going to be playing upfront from the get go? because Conway first and foremost is a left sided midfielder/winger :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:38 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: 8-)

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:38 pm

Great News lets hope he's the first of many more quality signings :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Welcome aboard the roller coaster Craig :D :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:39 pm

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:41 pm

That's an awesome signing, a great replacement for Burke IMO :P
Welcome to Cardiff Craig :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

He plays on the left,
He plays on the riggghhhttttt,
that boy Craig Conway,
makes Routledge look shite. :D :lol:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:45 pm

cant wait to see him in action good first signing :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:54 pm

I also have it on good authority that he is
better than Chris Burke

Chuffed to bits

Great start Malky

Don Cowie now please???? :D :D :D :D

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:17 pm

24 hrs later

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50994 :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:19 pm

I would find it hard to compare him to Burke, just glad to see the Jock numbers kept steady :lol:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:21 pm

We cant really compare him to Burkey untill we see him for about 5 games in a city shirt though

We all know how easy the scotish league is :lol: :lol:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:25 pm

This isn't a dig by any means but until I heard about your interest in him I'd honestly never heard of the lad and I follow UK football as much as possible.

Is he a late developer or something as he's already 26? All the best in any case.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:26 pm

glammy74 wrote:We cant really compare him to Burkey untill we see him for about 5 games in a city shirt though

We all know how easy the scotish league is :lol: :lol:

Burke struggled to get into the Rangers team yet for me he would be one of my first picks. He's one of those players who needs a steady run of games, not in and out and bit part as he got at times.

Conway stuck out for a decent Dundee United side, but every team has a player like that hwo when he gets the big move they disappear.

Steve Sidwell and Scott Parker are two off the top of my head who stuck out but didn't do at the biggest clubs. I reckon Conway has what it takes but I think him and Burke are different types of players.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:49 pm

Great news !

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:56 pm

SCFC10 wrote:This isn't a dig by any means but until I heard about your interest in him I'd honestly never heard of the lad and I follow UK football as much as possible.

Is he a late developer or something as he's already 26? All the best in any case.

To be fair, Stephen Dobbie and Dorus de Vries didn't roll of the tongue either and bith have done you well, I'm as stunned as anyone that Dobbie has done anything having seen him stru about Dumbarton looking as overweight as I do.

Conway was playing lower league up here, United took a gamble and it worked out well for them. They're gutted to lose him for nowt.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:59 pm

I was never a big fan Of Burke, so if Conway is his replacement its a big improvement as far as I'm concerned....

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Hello lads. First time post, but look in from time to time as always had a soft spot for Cardiff.

I'm a Dundee United fan and I can assure you that you have signed a a very good player.

Conway has been a bit of a late bloomer, but has been a stand out player for Dundee United for the past 2 and a half years (although he did miss a couple of months last season- where our form greatly dipped0

He made huge progress under Craig Levein as Levein really made him work on his strength and sent him on conditioning courses at Dundee Uni. He is now a powerful, direct wide man who thrives on working hard. In my opinion, he is a better player than Chris Burke. He has a better end product and an excellent strike. If I was to compare to player you may know more about it'd Jarvis as Wolves. To answer a previous question- his market value is probably 2 mil as has been quoted for our other stand out player David Goodwillie. Reckon that will double in 12 months.

He is predominantly right footed, but plays better on the left as normally defenders are so worried about his pace down the outside they show him inside, where he can let fly. More unpredictable down the left.

I have nothing but good things to say about him. He'll always be a United legend due to his goals in the Scottish Cup final in 2010. Treat him well, as like most wingers, he's very much a confidence player.

All the best CC and CC

Zippy

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:10 pm

zippy wrote:Hello lads. First time post, but look in from time to time as always had a soft spot for Cardiff.

I'm a Dundee United fan and I can assure you that you have signed a a very good player.

Conway has been a bit of a late bloomer, but has been a stand out player for Dundee United for the past 2 and a half years (although he did miss a couple of months last season- where our form greatly dipped0

He made huge progress under Craig Levein as Levein really made him work on his strength and sent him on conditioning courses at Dundee Uni. He is now a powerful, direct wide man who thrives on working hard. In my opinion, he is a better player than Chris Burke. He has a better end product and an excellent strike. If I was to compare to player you may know more about it'd Jarvis as Wolves. To answer a previous question- his market value is probably 2 mil as has been quoted for our other stand out player David Goodwillie. Reckon that will double in 12 months.

He is predominantly right footed, but plays better on the left as normally defenders are so worried about his pace down the outside they show him inside, where he can let fly. More unpredictable down the left.

I have nothing but good things to say about him. He'll always be a United legend due to his goals in the Scottish Cup final in 2010. Treat him well, as like most wingers, he's very much a confidence player.

All the best CC and CC

Zippy

Thanks mate, all the best to DUFC next season.

Have you heard anything about Goodwillie coming down to Cardiff?

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 pm

GOOD NEWS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:56 pm

SCFC10 wrote:This isn't a dig by any means but until I heard about your interest in him I'd honestly never heard of the lad and I follow UK football as much as possible.

Just proves you Jacks know jack shit about football then doesn't it? he scored two goals in the cup final and has tore teams apart.

You obviously dont follow football as much as you claim.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:24 pm

corky wrote:My mate is a gutted Dundee Utd fan but he sent me this message

Conway on his day is one on the best wide wingers in Scotland.
Scored 2 goals in the cup final last year and propelled us from bottom to 4th in the league when he came back from injury.

He is better than Burke.
He'll do a job for you boys no problem, great crosser and on dead ball, prob score 5-10 goals and set up twice that

Your pal is lying, Conway is not a goal scorer, granted he got a double in the cup but that only took his tally to 13 goals in 137 games for us.

What you do have though is a player who will win a lot of freekicks and not in a diving cheating way. He just seems to draw the opposition into him hard. He is a great crosser of the ball and can play on either wing. We will miss him next season as he was our only natural wide player and I wish him every success at you boys as he will always be a united legend for his two goals in the final :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:27 pm

Just seen the last sign of your signature, :roll:

You surely must have heard of him ? He played in the SPL, not exactly an unknown league !

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Welcome to the Capital :ayatollah: :ayatollah: