Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Will the Swans be top of the Premier League by Christmas?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:19 am

Jokes, of course. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxZKJ5Xi ... ideo_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psSlR2du ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHRmNkrEO_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OpQcctpnGY

Great times though, but It's sad that something like the above could never happen again, unless you are bankrolled to the full 17th place seems to be the best you can hope for. The "Prem dream" ain't all it's cracked up to be. The only thing I care about regarding our promotion is the financial security it'll give us and the possibility of expending on our limited fanbase. As for sharing the field with tosspots like Rooney & Torres that doesnt appeal to me at all. As the song goes "We're only here to watch the Swans"

In response to the new ST holders being plastic arguments, perhaps a small minority are but I just can't imagine prawn sandwich types people standing there in the wind and rain throughout the night. The main reason (IMO) for the increase in ST sales isn't because we've all of a sudden doubled our fanbase it's because supporters who previously didn't buy ST's (As there was no need to get one, due to demand) are now buying them to ensure they get to see Premier League football season.

Re: Will the Swans be top of the Premier League by Christmas?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:24 am

i realistically think that if you finish around 10-17 then that would be a great acheivement... your run in is very tricky and you dont want to be looking for 6 points at the end of the season to stay up..

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:31 am

SCFC10 wrote:Jokes, of course. :lol:

Great times though, but It's sad that something like the above could never happen again, unless you are bankrolled to the full 17th place seems to be the best you can hope for. The "Prem dream" ain't all it's cracked up to be. The only thing I care about regarding our promotion is the financial security it'll give us and the possibility of expending on our limited fanbase. As for sharing the field with tosspots like Rooney & Torres that doesnt appeal to me at all. As the song goes "We're only here to watch the Swans"

In response to the new ST holders being plastic arguments, perhaps a small minority are but I just can't imagine prawn sandwich types people standing there in the wind and rain throughout the night. The main reason (IMO) for the increase in ST sales isn't because we've all of a sudden doubled our fanbase it's because supporters who previously didn't buy ST's (As there was no need to get one, due to demand) are now buying them to ensure they get to see Premier League football season.

Did you say you'd DOUBLED your fanbase all of a sudden??

I'm not knocking you here but the Liberty Stadium will be shite if its full of plastic part-time
rugby fans every week! The atmosphere will die just as quickly as your gates go up. Its a
concern i have for the CCS, WHEN we get promoted and the ground is extended to hold 35,000
... how many of those will be so plastic that they cannot go out in the sun for fear of melting

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:24 am

taffyapple wrote:

Nah ...

... "The main reason (IMO) for the increase in ST sales isn't because we've all of a sudden doubled our fanbase it's because supporters who previously didn't buy ST's (As there was no need to get one, due to demand) are now buying them to ensure they get to see Premier League football season."

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:27 am

I can't stand the Jacks, but it would be very impressive if they stayed up next season.

Have got a lot of time for Brendan Rodgers.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:29 am

taffyapple wrote:

I'm not knocking you here but the Liberty Stadium will be shite if its full of plastic part-time
rugby fans every week!
The atmosphere will die just as quickly as your gates go up. Its a
concern i have for the CCS, WHEN we get promoted and the ground is extended to hold 35,000
... how many of those will be so plastic that they cannot go out in the sun for fear of melting

What is it with this anti-rugby obsession I really don't get it. As far as I can see most people in the Swansea area couldn't give a toss about rugby, the crowds for the Cardiff Blues are higher than both the Swansea Ospreys and Llanelli Scarlets. Does that mean Cardiff is a rugby town? I don't think so.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:31 am

we stayed down and have a massive amount of ST holders, impressive, when we get to the prem, we will show a lot of teams up. english claim wales is a rugby nation, i disagree, we get crowds of 23/24 usually and cardiff blues get what? 11k? i know a lot of fans didnt want to go to the new stadium but still...they only come out for 6nations.
if i recall correctly...when wales played at the millenium stadium (football) we were getting massive crowds, it's only due to results that we don't get big crowds anymore. disappointing but i just disagree with wales being a rugby nation.
swansea's "fan base" if you will call it that, is only increased in numbvers due to the fact they went up, if they didn't they would continue to get 13k crowds, i know ours would also go up but we do have a lot of fans who genuinely do support the city but just don't go to games at the moment.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:43 am

swansea wont be top by christmas, you'll be lucky to be outside the bottom 3. Anything more than that is good for you.

In response to the rugby nonsense, no one cares.

Our clubs are not so different. Fans at Cardiff only turn up when they want too. Heck, i know people who are only interested in bubble games so they can have a scrap. This season has seen an increase in this. I know a select group who are now only interested because we'll play the likes of

Millwall
Pompey
West Ham
Leeds
Birmingham

all in one season.

Now, I know we played 3 of them clubs last year but the 2 who've come down have a rep off the pitch as well. Everyone knows that.

Every club is the same. Leeds would have had the same when they come up because of the prospect of playing Sheffield and so on.

Swansea would have had the same when they came to the Championship because of the prospect of playing us, more people will genuinely be interested.

If we go up, I expect our season tickets to go up but after a year or two if we stay up they'll level off or decrease. Why? because fans will be complaining tickets cost too much, fans will be moaning every game is in the eye of the media and the police are everywhere.

When Pompey went down, thousands of their fans loved it because it meant ticket prices come down. Some fans are only as loyal as whats in their wallet.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:47 am

I have an ST so I have a seat regardless who we play. Sorry but I dont buy into this "last season I did not need one as I could get into the ground regardless". If you are a true fan and you can afford it you will buy a ST.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:49 pm

Should have been will the Rat Eaters still be premier League by Chritmas ........ answer no fooking chance at all :lol: :lol:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:15 pm

:lol:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:40 pm

they sure were great days for swansea city! i was 15 in those days and even i thought it was great stuff! .... things like that though will never happen again and i find that very very sad!

Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:09 pm

Bloobirds101 wrote:swansea wont be top by christmas, you'll be lucky to be outside the bottom 3. Anything more than that is good for you.

Our clubs are not so different. Fans at Cardiff only turn up when they want too. Heck, i know people who are only interested in bubble games so they can have a scrap. This season has seen an increase in this. I know a select group who are now only interested because we'll play the likes of

Millwall
Pompey
West Ham
Leeds
Birmingham

all in one season.

Do every normal, law abiding, right thinking Cardiff City supporter a favour and make sure those people are unable to enter those cities on the days we play them could you? We don't need people who are "only interested so they can have a scrap".

Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:41 pm

The very worse case scenario at the end of next season is we will be playing Championship football
Our little ole capital can't say that :cry:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:45 pm

Morriston Monkey wrote:The very worse case scenario at the end of next season is we will be playing Championship football

Your powers of observation are truly an inspiration to us all.

Revolutionary thinker.

A veritable modern day Plato.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:50 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:
Morriston Monkey wrote:The very worse case scenario at the end of next season is we will be playing Championship football

Your powers of observation are truly an inspiration to us all.

Revolutionary thinker.

A veritable modern day Plato.

Oh don't be like that mun when you mam said you were special she really did mean it you know

Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:53 pm

[quote="Bloobirds101"]swansea wont be top by christmas, you'll be lucky to be outside the bottom 3. Anything more than that is good for you.

Millwall
Pompey
West Ham
Leeds
Birmingham

all in one season.

I don't know whats worse you thinking it's 1984 or you using words like Heck
:o

Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:52 pm

Couldnt give a f**k.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:20 pm

i feckin hate them but i think the gypo's will surprise everyone

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:04 pm

I think the main problem you lot will have is your playing style, yes very neat and good on the eye, but teams in the Prem will be better at it than yourselves. I think Stoke had the best idea of how to stay up when they went up and that was to play route 1 hoofball, loads of big players, loads of high balls into the area, not good for the football purists but it kept them in the Prem.

No you won't be top by Christmas :lol: but my fear would be will you be bottom? :( Not trying to be a smart arse, just trying to be realistic.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:44 am

Hate to admit it but I think everyone is actually writing the Jacks off too soon they aint even kicked the ball yet or finished building their team ready for their challenge of the premiership ! I hope we meet them in cup action this year though ! Question is Will Cardiff be top of the championship by Christmas ?

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:57 am

I see your best squad member Di Vries has left Swansea on a free Transfer to wolves :lol: imo i think Swansea will go straight back down, i also hear that a few more may be leaving :lol: Big wages will be a downfall for you Jacks imo :lol: after all your not that big a club. Lets be honest what big name would fancy going there ?? :lol: enjoy your honeymoon while it lasts :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:41 am

Warren of Merthyr wrote:I see your best squad member Di Vries has left Swansea on a free Transfer to wolves :lol: imo i think Swansea will go straight back down, i also hear that a few more may be leaving :lol: Big wages will be a downfall for you Jacks imo :lol: after all your not that big a club. Lets be honest what big name would fancy going there ?? :lol: enjoy your honeymoon while it lasts :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

But just remember, we lost Jordi Gomez, Ferrie Bodde through injury, Jason Scotland, Trundle, Paul Anderson, Andy Robinson (When he was still half decent) yet we've still progressed season after season despite your fans claims that we will without doubt struggle.

Remember, we had no chance of staying up in our first season in the Championship, but almost made the play-off's, then once Martinez left and a few key players left that was it for us, we were f*cked, wrong again. Then under Sousa we were tipped to once again struggle, and although our style of play was boring as f*ck we did well results wise once again given our budget, then we appointed Rodgers, you all laughed, "looks like relegation for the Jacks" was the general consensus on here. And guess what? We're in the Premier League.

Yes a few players are leaving, that was always on the cards. De Vries WANTED to stay here but he wasn't prepared to accept a drop in wages should we be relegated, so thanks for your service over the last 4 years and turn the light off on the way out, good keeper no doubt in a team that plays football in the correct way like the Swans, but not worth crippling our club financially for, the prospect of De Vries competing with the likes of Kenwyn Jones didn't fill me with much excitement anyway to be honest, we need some right hard b*stard of a goalkeeper.

Should Neil Taylor leave it'll be on our terms only, Rodgers is a aware of many left backs of similar or better ability to the lad and would be able to attract them here with Premiership football.

And perhaps you haven't noticed but on top of losing 1 or 2 players we're also bringing players into the club. I.e We signed the Championship's top goalscorer from last season our record transfer fee in the last week or so, on the verge of signing Marcos Senna (By all accounts) amongst a few others.

Sorry mate if your comments weren't intended as I think they were but they just come across as a bit bitter toward us, and it's not as if Cardiff haven't had any players leaving them recently is it? So don't see why you're pointing and laughing.

My final world : Write us off all you want, laugh at us all you want. Laugh at all our signings, such as "rubbish Wrexham players" like Neil Taylor (Who 12 months on is wanted by Newcastle United FC & Everton FC) just keep talking in general.

SCFC will attempt to do our talking on the pitch only.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:50 am

SCFC10 wrote:
Warren of Merthyr wrote:I see your best squad member Di Vries has left Swansea on a free Transfer to wolves :lol: imo i think Swansea will go straight back down, i also hear that a few more may be leaving :lol: Big wages will be a downfall for you Jacks imo :lol: after all your not that big a club. Lets be honest what big name would fancy going there ?? :lol: enjoy your honeymoon while it lasts :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

But just remember, we lost Jordi Gomez, Ferrie Bodde through injury, Jason Scotland, Trundle, Paul Anderson, Andy Robinson (When he was still half decent) yet we've still progressed season after season despite your fans claims that we will without doubt struggle.

Remember, we had no chance of staying up in our first season in the Championship, but almost made the play-off's, then once Martinez left and a few key players left that was it for us, we were f*cked, wrong again. Then under Sousa we were tipped to once again struggle, and although our style of play was boring as f*ck we did well results wise once again given our budget, then we appointed Rodgers, you all laughed, "looks like relegation for the Jacks" was the general consensus on here. And guess what? We're in the Premier League.

Yes a few players are leaving, that was always on the cards. De Vries WANTED to stay here but he wasn't prepared to accept a drop in wages should we be relegated, so thanks for your service over the last 4 years and turn the light off on the way out, good keeper no doubt in a team that plays football in the correct way like the Swans, but not worth crippling our club financially for, the prospect of De Vries competing with the likes of Kenwyn Jones didn't fill me with much excitement anyway to be honest, we need some right hard b*stard of a goalkeeper.

Should Neil Taylor leave it'll be on our terms only, Rodgers is a aware of many left backs of similar or better ability to the lad and would be able to attract them here with Premiership football.

And perhaps you haven't noticed but on top of losing 1 or 2 players we're also bringing players into the club. I.e We signed the Championship's top goalscorer from last season our record transfer fee in the last week or so, on the verge of signing Marcos Senna (By all accounts) amongst a few others.

Sorry mate if your comments weren't intended as I think they were but they just come across as a bit bitter toward us, and it's not as if Cardiff haven't had any players leaving them recently is it? So don't see why you're pointing and laughing.

My final world : Write us off all you want, laugh at us all you want. Laugh at all our signings, such as "rubbish Wrexham players" like Neil Taylor (Who 12 months on is wanted by Newcastle United FC & Everton FC) just keep talking in general.

Good reply, as a club you've probably done things the right way for the last 2 or 3 seasons and have been rewarded by promotion to the top flight, I don't wish your club bad luck and for you to be able to survive your first season in the Prem would be a massive achievement IMO. Credit where credit's due. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:18 am

CF64 BLUE wrote:
SCFC10 wrote:

Good reply, as a club you've probably done things the right way for the last 2 or 3 seasons and have been rewarded by promotion to the top flight, I don't wish your club bad luck and for you to be able to survive your first season in the Prem would be a massive achievement IMO. Credit where credit's due. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Nice one fella. That's very gracious of you. All the best to you lads next season. Believe it or not I have no problem whatsoever with Cardiff, the only reason I want the Swans to do better than Cardiff is to expand on our small & limited fanbase, not to "get one over on Cardiff" that doesn't interest me at all.

Most Cardiff supporters are genuine lads unlike most of the plastic tosspots I encounter on a daily basis. Obviously I don't speak for most Swans supporters here but I wanted you to do both Portsmouth & Blackpool and was disappointed when you didn't make it.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:49 am

lewis91 wrote:it's only due to results that we don't get big crowds anymore. disappointing but i just disagree with wales being a rugby nation.

It's not just the fact we're shit. It's also due to the fact we're continually playing rubbish opposition. See in Rugby you're always seeing & competing against by default some of the world's best players and teams & are competing for trophies in the 6 nations, then fixtures against the world's best in NZ, SA & Aus, rugby's equivalent of Spain, Argentina & Brazil. When we play Fiji or Samoa, Rugby's equivalent of Estonia, the place is half empty at best.

Contrast that with Wales who after 2 games of a 9 game qualification campaign are more often than not out of it already so it's not really a surprise we can't punt next to f*ck all tickets at £20+ a time to see us get outplayed by the likes of Belarus. The Millennium Stadium is a lovely stadium visually but it doesn't give us any home advantage at all, look at Northern Ireland at Windsor Park, 15K capacity but the fans are close to the pitch and are hostile as f*ck. Look at their results in the meantime compared to ours, they've beaten the likes of Spain & England with players like Warren f*cking Feeney, our only decent result in a decade was beating the Italians 2-1, and our squad is MUCH better than there's.

When we had a strong chance of qualifying for Euro 2004 the Welsh national team had the highest average attendance in Europe, shows that the interest is there when we have something to play for.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:07 am

SCFC10 wrote:

No not bitter but all this Swansea gloating stuff is boring tbh. Do you honestly think that Danny Graham is going to succeed in the premiership next season at 3 to 3.5 million ?? imo he is over priced !!!! Do you honestly think he would be a success in the premiership :lol: ??? Senna another one ?? for the record ive supported city since 86- 87 so no plastic fan ere :ayatollah: Im just giving my opinion that Swansea will be in the bottom 3 by xmas :lol: which they will i can guarantee why Rodgers hasnt signed any big names yet i do not now !!!!