Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

OUR WAR

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:56 pm

One of the lads posted a thread about this the other day. Iv'e just watched no3 of the documentary series 'our war' and I have to say it almost got me going. :( We do admittedly become forgetful about what those boys actually go through out there, after all its been a long arse war and we see it on the news daily. This programme is a BIG reminder in the most realistic way of how f*cking terrfiying it must be to have death tapping you on the shoulder every day, it really helps you feel the emotions they must be going through. I was very proud to watch the part about the heroics of the Royal Welsh 2nd Battalion to secure a school for local kids and the sacrifices they made.

Brilliant programme that raises awareness. Politics aside, we have brave boys and girls out there trying to make a difference and to just simply survive...that for me is all that matters and it earns my ever lasting compassion and respect for each and everyone of them.

Bit deep but it had to be shared. :oops:

Re: OUR WAR

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:04 am

i have full respect for the forces :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:49 am

It certainly was an eye opening series. Im glad and surprised the M.O.D allowed the films to be released.

Fully agree with what they're doing over there and our boys and girls are doing us proud. :ayatollah: to all the serving lads and lasses.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:22 am

Mate, if lastnights episode almost got you going, don't watch the 1st one then.

Fook me it's hard. Shows how the families react, very very moving.
I'm sure I had someone chopping onions next to me :cry:

Also another one is the look at "Royal" Wootton Bassett. Extremely well made.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:25 am

It was touching but when they said about how they opened up that school it put a smile on my face :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:41 am

KyleV wrote:Mate, if lastnights episode almost got you going, don't watch the 1st one then.

Yeah that first episod was very powerful, how they lied to the family saying their son died instantly when he didnt and died a bit later and that first CPR attempts got him breathing again only to be told this by letter by the platoon leader!

Brilliant series though, really opens your eyes!

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:44 am

math_robz878 wrote:
KyleV wrote:Mate, if lastnights episode almost got you going, don't watch the 1st one then.

Yeah that first episod was very powerful, how they lied to the family saying their son died instantly when he didnt and died a bit later and that first CPR attempts got him breathing again only to be told this by letter by the platoon leader!

Brilliant series though, really opens your eyes!

that platoon leader is a f*cking good leader! especially for writing that fantastic letter explaining what happened. Me and my step dad have total respect for the leader (we do for all armed forces but this was a speicial occasion :lol: ) :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:54 am

baseboy007 wrote:One of the lads posted a thread about this the other day. Iv'e just watched no3 of the documentary series 'our war' and I have to say it almost got me going. :( We do admittedly become forgetful about what those boys actually go through out there, after all its been a long arse war and we see it on the news daily. This programme is a BIG reminder in the most realistic way of how f*cking terrfiying it must be to have death tapping you on the shoulder every day, it really helps you feel the emotions they must be going through. I was very proud to watch the part about the heroics of the Royal Welsh 2nd Battalion to secure a school for local kids and the sacrifices they made.

Brilliant programme that raises awareness. Politics aside, we have brave boys and girls out there trying to make a difference and to just simply survive...that for me is all that matters and it earns my ever lasting compassion and respect for each and everyone of them.

Bit deep but it had to be shared. :oops:

Respect feller :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:09 am

We forget very easily.

When the Falkands war broke out I was doing my trade training with the RAF. We were told that we were all on standby to go to war. Infact everyone in the military was told that. At the time I was not worried about going because the chances of me being put on a boat was literally zero as I had no idea how to point a gun. However the fact that I was on a list made me realise how serious it was. So much so that when I went down town and saw all the civvies going about their daily lives without a care in the world it made me feel like shout " Don't you ignorant c**ts realise we are at war?". Of course I never did that thank God but alot of my services mates said they felt the same at the time.

So now 30 years later I just wonder how many of these young military lads feel like shouting that at me because I have to admit I dont give it much of a thought about these wars. Phatfrog said above she is surprised that the MOD have realised these films. Well perhaps I am one of the reasons why they have.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:12 am

Bakedalasker wrote:We forget very easily.

When the Falkands war broke out I was doing my trade training with the RAF. We were told that we were all on standby to go to war. Infact everyone in the military was told that. At the time I was not worried about going because the chances of me being put on a boat was literally zero as I had no idea how to point a gun. However the fact that I was on a list made me realise how serious it was. So much so that when I went down town and saw all the civvies going about their daily lives without a care in the world it made me feel like shout " Don't you ignorant c**ts realise we are at war?". Of course I never did that thank God but alot of my services mates said they felt the same at the time.

So now 30 years later I just wonder how many of these young military lads feel like shouting that at me because I have to admit I dont give it much of a thought about these wars. Phatfrog said above she is surprised that the MOD have realised these films. Well perhaps I am one of the reasons why they have.

I agree, I do realise that we're in war but I wonder why are we in there? I saw a documentary (not Our War) and some British soldiers asked..."why are we here?" (rhetorical ofcourse), and that was the afghan war.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:34 am

Trouble is we are told to go, don't have a choice on that one.
The lads that join up now know that there is a very realistic chance they are going to one of these places.

The fact this war is on our screens everyday helps.
When I came back from Iraq in 2003 I had my head smashed in on the 1st night back. In hospital for a few days.

Few lads started calling me a murderer and the likes. But it's refreshing to see so many people now come out and welcome the lads and lasses home.

It helps a hell of a lot.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:37 am

KyleV wrote:Trouble is we are told to go, don't have a choice on that one.
The lads that join up now know that there is a very realistic chance they are going to one of these places.

When I came back from Iraq in 2003 I had my head smashed in on the 1st night back. In hospital for a few days.

Few lads started calling me a murderer and the likes. But it's refreshing to see so many people now come out and welcome the lads and lasses home.

The soldiers are not the murderers.....the politicians are the ones who tell em what to do. And I'm going in to the army knowing that aswell.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:38 am

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:

The soldiers are not the murderers.....the politicians are the ones who tell em what to do. And I'm going in to the army knowing that aswell.

I know fella, but there was alot of ignorant twats out there then.

Have you got a date of joining up?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:39 am

KyleV wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:

I know fella, but there was alot of ignorant twats out there then.

Have you got a date of joining up?

Nope but I wanna enjoy the holidays (I turn 18 in two weeks tomorrow) so I'll prolly join shortly after the West Ham game :ayatollah: What regiment are you in? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:43 am

Not mate, I'm in the RAF.

I'm used to hotels and the likes, so a bit of a culture shock when sent to Iraq and living in tents and getting shot at.

Wouldn't change anything for the world tho. Loved every minute of being in.

Only advice I'd give you is make sure you get a trade.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:45 am

KyleV wrote:Not mate, I'm in the RAF.

I'm used to hotels and the likes, so a bit of a culture shock when sent to Iraq and living in tents and getting shot at.

Wouldn't change anything for the world tho. Loved every minute of being in.

Only advice I'd give you is make sure you get a trade.

Aye I've been told bout getting a trade. I applied for Painting & Decorating next year as a back up, the lecturer said to apply but let him know if 'I decide to do something else which is fair enough. But I was thinking of joining the Royal Welsh :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:55 am

similar thing happened to me came back from iraq out on the pop with my mates and called every name under the sun, i was shocked at the time that people can be so ignorant. If you dont agree with a paticular war im not going to tear your head off for your views, you never know i might share them, but dont tear my head off for serving my country. I ended up in a cell over night for being called a baby killer, but programmes like these show people that its not politics our servicemen are worried about its each other.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:06 am

JONNY012697 wrote:

similar thing happened to me came back from iraq out on the pop with my mates and called every name under the sun, i was shocked at the time that people can be so ignorant. If you dont agree with a paticular war im not going to tear your head off for your views, you never know i might share them, but dont tear my head off for serving my country. I ended up in a cell over night for being called a baby killer, but programmes like these show people that its not politics our servicemen are worried about its each other.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:31 am

JONNY012697 wrote:

Exactly Jonny :ayatollah:
Certainly was difficult. I didn't get the chance to have a go. Smacked from behind and just kicked to fook.

But I'm glad the public are getting to see the conditions and restraints our men and women are having to deal with.
It's fooking hard to not fire back when rounds are buzzing past your ears, until you can identify the shooter.
I know it sounds daft, but you really don't think of yourself in those situations, it's your mates that you want to keep safe.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:38 am

JONNY012697 wrote:

Where the f**k was this? I cannot imagine a City/town or village in Wales where
ANYBODY would even contemplate coming out with shite like that? Unless it was
a University Campus full of middle-class brainwashed fuckers

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:00 am

I got done walking home from Blackwood mate.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:29 pm

as an ex 1 rrw 1978 1988 seen a bit but still give full support to the lads well done lads . never forgoten . as in the going down of the sun we will remember them . :old: forces day sat 25 th spend a thought for the lads an lasses . :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:34 pm

KyleV wrote:I got done walking home from Blackwood mate.

Disgusting cunts

I just watched the programme.

The Sgt who was SUPPOSED to be in the lead vehicle when the officer
got killed is a very good mate of mine

sent a bit of a shiver down my spine

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:18 pm

taffyapple wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:

lol porthcawl mate bunch of rich university kids thought they new everything about the world. Thats not to stay everyone there has the same attitude there is alot of support for the forces, just as my luck i happened to bump into the 3 idiots who disagreed with everything the forces were doing.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:26 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:
taffyapple wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:The lads that join up now know that there is a very realistic chance they are going to one of these places.

lol porthcawl mate bunch of rich university kids thought they new everything about the world. Thats not to stay everyone there has the same attitude there is alot of support for the forces, just as my luck i happened to bump into the 3 idiots who disagreed with everything the forces were doing.[/quote]

wankers mate. id wanna nail em too

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:52 pm

it still goes on mind you wont change peoples ideology over the wars we have been involved in and they cant seem to be able to see the difference between an mp in parliament and a soldier on the front line somewhere. Only last week i over heard a conversation saying that troops in afghanistan are no better than the german guardsmen protecting auschwitz. It made my blood boil so got involved saying how can you say that, the response i got was, every soldier knows that afghanistan is an illegal war and if they had any sense they would drop their weapons and go on strike. I laughed saying has it ever occured to you that the forces cant strike and they dont get a choice as to where they serve. I was blanked after that with his last words saying they are all scum. I said ill remember that and when the military are digging you out of your house after a natural disaster or something ill tell them not to bother because he thinks your all scum.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:33 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:it still goes on mind you wont change peoples ideology over the wars we have been involved in and they cant seem to be able to see the difference between an mp in parliament and a soldier on the front line somewhere. Only last week i over heard a conversation saying that troops in afghanistan are no better than the german guardsmen protecting auschwitz. It made my blood boil so got involved saying how can you say that, the response i got was, every soldier knows that afghanistan is an illegal war and if they had any sense they would drop their weapons and go on strike. I laughed saying has it ever occured to you that the forces cant strike and they dont get a choice as to where they serve. I was blanked after that with his last words saying they are all scum. I said ill remember that and when the military are digging you out of your house after a natural disaster or something ill tell them not to bother because he thinks your all scum.

Afghanistan is a load of bollocks.

We shouldnt have gone in, Blair just sucked Americas dick.

The lads out there are just fighting for the lad next to him in the trenches
not for a political ideal or anything else. I know this for a fact. There are
plenty think we are doing some 'good' over there, but the majority think
its a waste of time and are sick of it, the ragheads will kill each other
forever over there, its what they do!

If i heard anyone calling our soldiers scum id hospitalise them

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:41 pm

taffyapple wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:it still goes on mind you wont change peoples ideology over the wars we have been involved in and they cant seem to be able to see the difference between an mp in parliament and a soldier on the front line somewhere. Only last week i over heard a conversation saying that troops in afghanistan are no better than the german guardsmen protecting auschwitz. It made my blood boil so got involved saying how can you say that, the response i got was, every soldier knows that afghanistan is an illegal war and if they had any sense they would drop their weapons and go on strike. I laughed saying has it ever occured to you that the forces cant strike and they dont get a choice as to where they serve. I was blanked after that with his last words saying they are all scum. I said ill remember that and when the military are digging you out of your house after a natural disaster or something ill tell them not to bother because he thinks your all scum.

Afghanistan is a load of bollocks.

We shouldnt have gone in, Blair just sucked Americas dick.

The lads out there are just fighting for the lad next to him in the trenches
not for a political ideal or anything else. I know this for a fact. There are
plenty think we are doing some 'good' over there, but the majority think
its a waste of time and are sick of it, the ragheads will kill each other
forever over there, its what they do!

If i heard anyone calling our soldiers scum id hospitalise them

ill agree with you i dont think we should have touched afghanistan with barge pole, i always had a feeling that something didnt sit right with iraq and dont get me started on libya lol but why blame the troops its not their choice, its small mindedness and not looking at the bigger picture. Whether i agree with a war or not ill support the men and women serving our country.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:20 pm

To be honest I think we should go out to Syria....or atleast let the SAS and SBS have fun there. Their Prime minister needs to step down or to be taken out.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:57 pm

Did any of you watch tonight's programme on BBC ONE called 'afgan, war without end?' It just summarises the catalogue of catastrophic errors of judgement made by the bush & blair administration. It fills me with rage to watch that programme of our brave soldiers yesterday and then the other part of the war today, where wrong decisions time and time again killed some of those men I saw yesterday and more. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

If they made the right decision and decided not to declare war, then there would have been no other wrong decisions to make.