Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Atkins diet

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:27 pm

Gotta lose some for the summer and new season im fatter than Chopra and Parkin put together 15 and half stone.
Starting tomorrow -Anyone join me in the best blokes diet going

Forget those girly salad and veg diets

Atkins is the king --eat plenty of meat , Cheese ,Eggs but cut out the evil Carbs--i.e chips, bread ,potato
even have a few pints--

Done it years ago and lost easy--cant be doing with the Rabbit food.

Re: Atkins diet

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:41 pm

mate i have lost over 2 stone and i'm 12 stone 10 now, been running & eating healthy since march!!

running every day, eating a banana in the morning or cereal, lots of water through the day, and chicken for dinner and also fish or chicken for tea, changing it up with salmon on riveta, gammon, mushrooms, brocoli, tuna!! no crisps or chocolate or alcohol in the week and it will fly off!! :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:43 pm

you need carbs cause it gives you energy

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:you need carbs cause it gives you energy

dont have any carbs after 6pm i say!! or so i've been told!!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:54 pm

no you dont mate.

i've been on Atkins for last 3 days and energetic :D

you're body goes into ketosis once you're on low carb and it runs on ketones. Don't need carbs to be honest.

When you think about it, The Atkins diet or similar is probably the diet cavemen had. Meat, vegetables and so on, fruit now and then.

I doubt they were popping in Tescos and getting sweets, crisps and chips on the way home :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Bloobirds101 wrote:

no you dont mate.

i've been on Atkins for last 3 days and energetic :D

you're body goes into ketosis once you're on low carb and it runs on ketones. Don't need carbs to be honest.

When you think about it, The Atkins diet or similar is probably the diet cavemen had. Meat, vegetables and so on, fruit now and then.

I doubt they were popping in Tescos and getting sweets, crisps and chips on the way home :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I personally would prefer to have a balanced diet.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:45 pm

No you don't, the whole point of the Atkins Diet is that you burn off fat instead of carbs.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:56 pm

I done a strict No carbs diet for 2 months in this time I lost 2 and a half stone running and swimming, for the first 2 weeks i was a total bitch mood swings,withdrawal symptoms, my body was drained, i when from needing as little as 5-6 hours sleep to needing 10-12 hours carbs are not essential but the body, brain needs carbs in the rite form, The best sources of carbs, whole grains, vegetables, fruits and beans—promote good health by delivering vitamins, low carb diets can cause constipation witch can lead to serious problems, drink loads and loads of water as your diet will be high in protein, you need to keep you kidneys flushed out or this can lead to further problems, go and see you doctor before doing the Atkins it can be dangerous, i got checked out by mine twice over the 2 months all was well. hope this helps and good luck. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:00 pm

What was your typical meals bloo

Im thinking of having two scrambled eggs each morning with bacon

then i will nibble on cheese and Pepparami for Lunch with something like Fish Pork chop etc for dinner with a few Mushrooms and two more Eggs

Also is diet coke ok

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:14 pm

I started training 2 years ago coz I got chunky so I started running and jumped on the Atkins diet it soon falls off. 2 years on ive become obsessed with running and nutrition. I find what works best is eat protein most of the time but take in lots of carbs 2 hours before training ur body needs it and u go harder. Gud luck gents and keep up the gud work brew :]

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:17 pm

Mafor wrote:What was your typical meals bloo

then i will nibble on cheese and Pepparami for Lunch with something like Fish Pork chop etc for dinner with a few Mushrooms and two more Eggs

Also is diet coke ok

yeah, make sure your bacon isn't cured with sugar.

don't have too much cheese either, check the carbs and sugar levels.

Basically, during the induction phase keep your carb/sugar count below 20g. Ideally, go for about 15g and if you go over slightly then so be it.

for breakfast I just have eggs boiled.

In between then I have a whey protein shake thats very low carb.

I then have meet in the evening - chicken breast with spices on or whatever. Or minced lamb make it into a beef burger etc. :ayatollah:

Just eat meet throughout the day continuously. As you've said, fish is good too but I hate it :lol: :lol:

Basically, you want to stop your body looking for carbs and looking for fat as an energy source, its called ketosis.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Also is diet coke ok

literally, morning 4 eggs 1 yolk and a tin of tuna in sunflower oil.
pure protein shake inbetween.
dinner a whole chicken.
pure protein shake inbetween.
evening meal stake,
get some udo's oil 2 spoons of that a day too, WARNING its expensive and tastes like shit, but very good for you.
that's it I lived on meat, fish and eggs very boring very dry and plain but it the way to lose weight fast but like i said it dose come with risks, don't do it for to long! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:24 pm

Also is diet coke ok

Also, you got an email address?

I can email you recipes if you like with the carb content etc.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:44 pm

I'm no nutritional expert, but common sense would seem to suggest that cutting out a major food type probably isn't the best way to go, at least not long term.

A quick Google throws up plenty of results for various arguments against the Atkins diet, if you wanted to learn a bit more about it.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:04 pm

Ste_W wrote:I'm no nutritional expert, but common sense would seem to suggest that cutting out a major food type probably isn't the best way to go, at least not long term.

A quick Google throws up plenty of results for various arguments against the Atkins diet, if you wanted to learn a bit more about it.

yes because people bang on about 'carbs' for your brain blah blah blah. The fact is, you don't need carbs to survive.

Excess protein gets turned into glucose to use as energy and extra fat will be used by the body.

Atkins is the way to go to get ripped. I've lost over a stone in a couple of months but that wasn't strict no carbs, that was 30-40g carbs per day.

I went off it for a bit now I just started again. Going all out this time, less than 20g carbs per day.

The only thing you miss out on is your vitamins from fruits which you can get pills for anyway.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:06 pm

Atkins is no good, might get the weight off you but its no good in the long run

I have lost around a stone in the last 3 and half weeks by exercising and eating healthy its common sense really, i just cut out the junk food(pasties, pies, pizza, kfc, maccy d's, kebabs, chips, crisps ect) and go for a little run during the night or go on the bike for half hour nothing too extreme, i feel the best i have since i was a teenager its well worth it. Still have a day usually a Saturday where i treat myself to a Chinese or domino's and ten pints :lol:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:11 pm

NinianParkWasMyWife wrote:Atkins is no good, might get the weight off you but its no good in the long run

I have lost around a stone in the last 3 and half weeks by exercising and eating healthy its common sense really, i just cut out the junk food(pasties, pies, pizza, kfc, maccy d's, kebabs, chips, crisps ect) and go for a little run during the night or go on the bike for half hour nothing too extreme, i feel the best i have since i was a teenager its well worth it. Still have a day usually a Saturday where i treat myself to a Chinese or domino's and ten pints :lol:

Atkins is the way my friend. Ditch the chinese and pizza's and booze and get on the Atkins for a month or two. Then once you've done that, slowly reintroduce carbs into your life as well as increased exercise levels.

Stop being a pansy, man up, get on the Atkins.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 pm

I did the Atkins diet about 10 years ago and I lost 2 and a half stone quite rapidly, but I got sick and tired of the meat and low carbs regime and as quick as I lost it I put it back on.

These days I just cut out sugar, bread, junk food, fizzy drinks and take in lots of water throughout the day as well as nuts, pulses and fruit. Breakfast is super important and it's rare I feel hungry within an hour of waking up so I grab a smoothie and some cereal when I get in to work. I eat a lot of fish and chicken with plenty of veg each day.

I go out on my mountain bike 3 times a week and tend to do big trips on the weekend - great way of keeping your body in shape and it's not boring like the gym either!

Now and again I treat myself on the weekends to something nice - but heck you got to live a little sometimes! It's hard when the season starts though and you can smell those burgers, especially after a few beers :D

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:13 pm

Bluebird1993 wrote:

No you don't, the whole point of the Atkins Diet is that you burn off fat instead of carbs.

you can burn off carbs too :L

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:17 pm

Forget about the Atkins its bad news IMO; temporary answer and not tackling the root cause, very difficult to sustain.

Just aim for a simple calorie deficit. Exercise and small meals but often with a bias towards protein.

Plenty of water and away to go.

Get active.........running, walking etc and the weight will fly off mate.
I find Judo really good too.

Good luck :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 pm

Crunches, sit ups and squats - 10-15 mins each day keeps the beer belly away! :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:50 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
Bluebird1993 wrote:

you can burn off carbs too :L

Obviously. The point of the Atkins diet is that your burning fat not carbs.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Breakfast - Steel cut Oats & Mixed fruit and nuts or bacon, egg & sausage + cod liver oil capsule + vitamin pill
Mid morning - Protein shake, banana & apple
Lunch - Fish, pear & nectarine
Mid aftenoon - banana & peach
Dinner- lean meat, chicken, turkey plus salad or bacon & egg
evening - protein shake

No Bread or Potatoes or junk food (I found that by giving up potatoes & bread, I didn't crave junk food)

Saturday night 8 pints of bow or beer

Exercise push-ups: Good book to follow 7 weeks to 100 push-ups Time commitment 10 mins x 3 times a week
Static bike with 8 gears 1 minute in each gear flat out x 3 times a week

Lost a stone in a month
You get the results on the effort you put in.
I do an hour of weights twice a week but don't beat myself up if I miss a session. Drink plenty of water, so called energy drinks a complete waste of money.
Do 3 sets of each exercise: x15, x8, x6 no rest in between, your rest is just to increase the weight on bar or dumbbells.
No more than 7 excercises: Leg raises, leg curls, squats, seated rows, bent over rows, incline dumb bell presses and decline pullovers.
I am 55, if I can do it anybody can do it.
One thing I have found out. Running long distances complete waste of time, much better to do blocks of sprints full out.
Twice a week: 4 x 25 metres, 3 x 50 metres, 2 x 75 metres, 1 x 100 metres walkback recovery
or 6 x 60 metres walkback recovery, 5 minutes break stretch then 4 x 40 metres walkback recovery
remember to warm up properly and stretch and warm down at the end.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Didnt Atkins die of heart attack at the age of 49.........?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:49 pm

RichardBluebird wrote:Didnt Atkins die of heart attack at the age of 49.........?

I'm not 100% but i recall him dying because of his diet!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:52 pm

spike ferndale wrote:Breakfast - Steel cut Oats & Mixed fruit and nuts or bacon, egg & sausage + cod liver oil capsule + vitamin pill
Mid morning - Protein shake, banana & apple
Lunch - Fish, pear & nectarine
Mid aftenoon - banana & peach
Dinner- lean meat, chicken, turkey plus salad or bacon & egg
evening - protein shake

No Bread or Potatoes or junk food (I found that by giving up potatoes & bread, I didn't crave junk food)

Saturday night 8 pints of bow or beer

Exercise push-ups: Good book to follow 7 weeks to 100 push-ups Time commitment 10 mins x 3 times a week
Static bike with 8 gears 1 minute in each gear flat out x 3 times a week

Lost a stone in a month
You get the results on the effort you put in.
I do an hour of weights twice a week but don't beat myself up if I miss a session. Drink plenty of water, so called energy drinks a complete waste of money.
Do 3 sets of each exercise: x15, x8, x6 no rest in between, your rest is just to increase the weight on bar or dumbbells.
No more than 7 excercises: Leg raises, leg curls, squats, seated rows, bent over rows, incline dumb bell presses and decline pullovers.
I am 55, if I can do it anybody can do it.
One thing I have found out. Running long distances complete waste of time, much better to do blocks of sprints full out.
Twice a week: 4 x 25 metres, 3 x 50 metres, 2 x 75 metres, 1 x 100 metres walkback recovery
or 6 x 60 metres walkback recovery, 5 minutes break stretch then 4 x 40 metres walkback recovery
remember to warm up properly and stretch and warm down at the end.

good post, cheers. Similar to my plan but without the bacon and sausages. If I eat them, I would crave them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:53 pm

morph1927 wrote:
RichardBluebird wrote:Didnt Atkins die of heart attack at the age of 49.........?

I'm not 100% but i recall him dying because of his diet!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

too many carbs I heard. He went off track like a pussy and couldn't handle being a man.

A real man = only eats meat.

Wimps eat processed stuff because they can't cope with real men's food.

I go hunting my animals, strip them and eat them. Best way. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:07 pm

Just cut out sugar and processed food. Eat simple healthy food, meat & veggies etc, a balanced diet with regular excercise and I'm sure you will notice the difference.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:12 pm

Mafor wrote:Gotta lose some for the summer and new season im fatter than Chopra and Parkin put together 15 and half stone.
Starting tomorrow -Anyone join me in the best blokes diet going

Forget those girly salad and veg diets

Atkins is the king --eat plenty of meat , Cheese ,Eggs but cut out the evil Carbs--i.e chips, bread ,potato
even have a few pints--

Done it years ago and lost easy--cant be doing with the Rabbit food.

You need carbs its one of the worst diets cause it will eat away at your muscles for energy so half the weight you do lose is actually muscle not fat...

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:13 pm

A good tip I once heard is that you only need to shop around the edges of the supermarket. Meat, Veggies, fruit, dairy products etc. All the shit is when you go up and down the aisles.