Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

OUR LACK OF ATTACKERS NOW IS DISGUISING THE REAL ISSUE...

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:20 pm

...our defence.

The fact that most of our attacking players that we had last season have gone (Burke, Koumas, JET, Chopra, Bothroyd, Bellamy) has left us with a huge whole in our squad that obviously needs addressing, any old fool can see that we NEED to sign atleast 6 attacking players this summer.

However...
I think that focussing on finding attacking replacements is disguising a real issue with our club...

In my opinion, it was our defence last season that cost us promotion, on the pitch, and if we fail to recognise that this summer, the same will just happen again next season. In Burke, Bothroyd, Chopra and Bellamy, we had the best attacking talent i have seen down Cardiff in many years and it wasnt on many occasions last season that our team failed to score in a match. The amount of times scoring 1 or 2 goals in a match wasnt enough to win im not exactly sure of, but i can guess it was a fair few times.

If we had a central defensive pairing, for example, of Johnson and Loovens or Collins and Gabbidon, last season, does anyone here genuinely believe we wouldnt have gone up?

Nobody needs me to tell them how good a player Super Kev is, but him aside, is our current defence REALLY good enough?
Sure, Hudson is a very good Championship defender, and most of you will argue that we have Gerrard coming back to steady the ship and show some commitment, but those two as a pairing werent good enough 2 years ago, what makes you think they will be now?

Keinan is a decent defender, but again, after his idiocy against Reading, and the fact that he seems pretty reckless in general does worry me. Just compare Hudson, Keinan, Gerrard and Gyepes to the 4 I already mentioned (Johnson/Loovens/Collins/Gabbidon) all players that we have had in our side previously, and just think about whether they are really good enough.

Mark my words, if we do not find a brand new central defensive pairing in time for next season, or atleast ONE of real quality to partner, for me, Hudson... then we will once again fail to get the promotion we all want so much, no matter who our attackers are.

In being an ex defender himself, I really hope that Malky Mackay recognises this.

Re: OUR LACK OF ATTACKERS NOW IS DISGUISING THE REAL ISSUE...

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:21 pm

THE TRANSFER WINDOW HASNT OFFICIALLY OPENED YET....PATIENCE :roll:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:25 pm

poor man still on hols mun give him chance :lol: :lol:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:28 pm

Im happy with our defence --money needs 51 goals conceded was good last year
Malkeys Watford conceded 71

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:02 pm

gerrard and hudson not a bad centre back pairing kev on the left need a right back and please dont say blake :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:05 pm

The things is the defenders we've got arent bad at all gezza,huds,super kev,keinan,quinny etc they just need a bit of work and some consitency

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:06 pm

blake :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:45 pm

I would like to see how keinan and gerrard got on as a pairing. Both individually all you would want in a centre back! strong, athletic ad imposing.

But as far as im concerned last year our defence wasn't coached right at all, as all emphasis was on our attack.

As previously said before, malky mackay being a former defender himself could bring out the best of our back line. :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:46 pm

scott_w_ccfc wrote:...our defence.

The fact that most of our attacking players that we had last season have gone (Burke, Koumas, JET, Chopra, Bothroyd, Bellamy) has left us with a huge whole in our squad that obviously needs addressing, any old fool can see that we NEED to sign atleast 6 attacking players this summer.

However...
I think that focussing on finding attacking replacements is disguising a real issue with our club...

In my opinion, it was our defence last season that cost us promotion, on the pitch, and if we fail to recognise that this summer, the same will just happen again next season. In Burke, Bothroyd, Chopra and Bellamy, we had the best attacking talent i have seen down Cardiff in many years and it wasnt on many occasions last season that our team failed to score in a match. The amount of times scoring 1 or 2 goals in a match wasnt enough to win im not exactly sure of, but i can guess it was a fair few times.

If we had a central defensive pairing, for example, of Johnson and Loovens or Collins and Gabbidon, last season, does anyone here genuinely believe we wouldnt have gone up?

Nobody needs me to tell them how good a player Super Kev is, but him aside, is our current defence REALLY good enough?
Sure, Hudson is a very good Championship defender, and most of you will argue that we have Gerrard coming back to steady the ship and show some commitment, but those two as a pairing werent good enough 2 years ago, what makes you think they will be now?

Keinan is a decent defender, but again, after his idiocy against Reading, and the fact that he seems pretty reckless in general does worry me. Just compare Hudson, Keinan, Gerrard and Gyepes to the 4 I already mentioned (Johnson/Loovens/Collins/Gabbidon) all players that we have had in our side previously, and just think about whether they are really good enough.

Mark my words, if we do not find a brand new central defensive pairing in time for next season, or atleast ONE of real quality to partner, for me, Hudson... then we will once again fail to get the promotion we all want so much, no matter who our attackers are.

In being an ex defender himself, I really hope that Malky Mackay recognises this.

I reckon the defenders we've got have the makings of a strong back line. Cardiff City were
not 'weak in talent' last season... we were 'weak in mind'...

We played like a team with their hands in their pockets

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:02 pm

We will have one of the strongest defence in the league if Gerard has another season like the one just gone. Don't think we need any defenders this year. It's the only place in the team we don't need players, Don't know why anyone would think we need to buy any.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:10 pm

However...

DJ was also an ex defender, didn't really help us much

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:24 pm

miguel comminges ftw wrote:

However...

DJ was also an ex defender, didn't really help us much

yeah spose so, but i think dj got so caught up in the whole 'you score, and we'll score more than you' mentality.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:36 pm

bluebirds23 wrote:poor man still on hols mun give him chance :lol: :lol:

oh yeah im definitely not saying he should have got someone in by now or anything :ayatollah:

i just hope he does strengthen the defence over the summer, personally :)

i REALLY think we need it

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:37 pm

Kanester wrote:We will have one of the strongest defence in the league if Gerard has another season like the one just gone. Don't think we need any defenders this year. It's the only place in the team we don't need players, Don't know why anyone would think we need to buy any.

i really dont think we have mate, sorry

if we had a strong defence last season, i do think we'd have gone up

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:45 pm

GERRARD !! Hudson etc we wil be ok - give MM a chance , he knows whats needs strengthening

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:51 pm

It may have missed your attention but many people have pointed out on this forum that a midfield that gives the ball away easily and frequently puts a defence under undue pressure and I think we saw that a lot last season.
On the few occasions our midfield played well our defence looked solid.
Keep in mind it's a team game and all parts have to function in unison.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:56 pm

NIBluebird wrote:GERRARD !! Hudson etc we wil be ok - give MM a chance , he knows whats needs strengthening

yeah, i repeat, this is in no way directed as a criticsm of Malky Mackay of course, or saying that he's focussing on attacking players

just that we on here, in talking about attacking replacements, are forgetting that we need new defenders (in my opinion) :ayatollah:

i trust Malky to do the right thing :ayatollah: