Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " Could you support a TEAM GB??? "

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:07 pm

SCFC10 wrote:
llangainbluebird wrote:Very uneasy about this. I'm Welsh and British, like most of us here, but don't agree with a GB team for a number of reasons.

Firstly, despite what anybody says, there is an element of risk here, and we could lose our national side. Wales, that is.

Secondly, I'm not keen on non-football people (the BOA) getting involved in footballing matters.

Thirdly, football is not about individual players, but about our teams. The enemies of football, like egg-chasers, call us 'tribal', but that's what it's all about. Do we want Swansea to do well because they are Welsh? Do all the Rangers fans on here want Celtic to do well in Europe because they are a Scottish club, and by reason, British as well? Thought not!

So overall, no. Cardiff City and Wales for me. Happy enough to support England in the World Cup, but that support does not extend to Scotland and Northern Ireland. :ayatollah:

I want Cardiff to do well because you're a Welsh club, however my only gripe with you (And many other clubs for that matter) is your overspending, which admittedly isn't the fault of the supporters. But the fact the 2008 FA Cup final was contested between Cardiff City & Portsmouth FC IMO highlights how farcical finance rules are in British football. What incentive is there to live within your means? F*ck all by the looks of it.

I don't like seeing the likes of yourselves spending what you can't afford whilst small, local clubs such as Scunthorpe United try to live within their means and get relegated and lose millions of pounds as a result I find this to be unfair and I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot you'd see it from their point of view.

But what you've done isn't illegal, so in that sense there's nothing wrong with it, but it just seems morally wrong, in Germany this wouldn't be allowed to happen, and they know the score when it comes to controlling finances in football. I wish we'd follow their model in the UK, in terms of their ticket prices, safe standing, controls on finances, etc. I think we'd be better off for it.

i think you should get off your high horse
fair play your club is in the black at the moment but ffs scfc have gone bust twice in the past
people in glass houses

Re: " Could you support a TEAM GB??? "

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:48 pm

SCFC10 wrote:
llangainbluebird wrote:Very uneasy about this. I'm Welsh and British, like most of us here, but don't agree with a GB team for a number of reasons.

Firstly, despite what anybody says, there is an element of risk here, and we could lose our national side. Wales, that is.

Secondly, I'm not keen on non-football people (the BOA) getting involved in footballing matters.

Thirdly, football is not about individual players, but about our teams. The enemies of football, like egg-chasers, call us 'tribal', but that's what it's all about. Do we want Swansea to do well because they are Welsh? Do all the Rangers fans on here want Celtic to do well in Europe because they are a Scottish club, and by reason, British as well? Thought not!

So overall, no. Cardiff City and Wales for me. Happy enough to support England in the World Cup, but that support does not extend to Scotland and Northern Ireland. :ayatollah:

I want Cardiff to do well because you're a Welsh club, however my only gripe with you (And many other clubs for that matter) is your overspending, which admittedly isn't the fault of the supporters. But the fact the 2008 FA Cup final was contested between Cardiff City & Portsmouth FC IMO highlights how farcical finance rules are in British football. What incentive is there to live within your means? F*ck all by the looks of it.

I don't like seeing the likes of yourselves spending what you can't afford whilst small, local clubs such as Scunthorpe United try to live within their means and get relegated and lose millions of pounds as a result I find this to be unfair and I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot you'd see it from their point of view.

But what you've done isn't illegal, so in that sense there's nothing wrong with it, but it just seems morally wrong, in Germany this wouldn't be allowed to happen, and they know the score when it comes to controlling finances in football. I wish we'd follow their model in the UK, in terms of their ticket prices, safe standing, controls on finances, etc. I think we'd be better off for it.

How have you turned a topic about team GB into having a dig at our club for overspending ? :?

And like has been said above, you've been in deep trouble before !