Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " Could you support a TEAM GB??? "

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:53 pm

CaerphillyBluebird wrote:No never, I strongly oppose the formation of team GB. **** the queen.

Welsh not British !

You support Cardiff City who play in the ENGLISH League.

We currently have 17 players on our books and 10 of them are ENGLISH.

Why dont you support a Welsh League Team such is your passion for Wales rather than Support a Team that doesnt even play in the country it is from.

After all, **** the queen we dont want to play in their League to we.

Welsh not British, except when it suits us.. ;)

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Mmm interesting thread!!! I feel a poll is required!!
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:39 pm

On way! And your all crazy if you think any welsh players would get in the side. It would be Team GB = England with their argument being "Oh well we need to put out best 11 that we can" No thank you!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:44 pm

Canton stand baz wrote:There will be a team GB at the olympics next year. Wales, Scotland, Northen Ireland and England.

There is talk now that Scotland and Wales dont want want to be involved!!

Do you agree with this?

Could you get behind a team Great Britain?

I would find it hard to support a team GB!! but it could be the only chance for Welsh players to compete at a major tournament!!

Not sure on this one but would defo feel weird supporting team GB

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Yes I have no problem with it.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:06 pm

Would love it.

The SFA and Welsh FA need to pull their fingers out, Bale is supposed to be one of the greatest players in the World, yet in all honesty Wales will probably never reach a major tournament so Bale would not be able to test himself in a big tournament.

The olympics would be a great opportunity, if I was Bale i'd tell the Welsh FA to shove it and turn up for the GB team.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:24 pm

I would never support a GB football team.

The Olympics is for stuff like athletics and swimming, not football and tennis :roll:

For athletes and swimmers, the Olympics is to them what the World Cup is to football.

And for those saying it's the only proper tournament Wales players could realistically play in, how many Welsh players would be good enough to play and it's not a proper tournament anyway. That's the World Cup, or the European championships.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:48 pm

FUUUUCK THAT..............NO THANKS!!!!

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:38 am

funny thing is, that all the other big nations dont care about sending a proper team to an olympic football tournament. it's usually a "B" team or an U21s team...

olympics is prob the only chance to actually win something... :lol:

but I see a danger for wales in participating, as it will be the first step to a united GB team, and guess how many welsh boys will be chosen in future?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:41 am

I'm welsh and catholic. f**k britain

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:32 am

corky wrote:In 2006 myself and Gwyn davies went to Scotland to a meeting with the fans organisations of the other 3 countries at Hibernian Football club...we listened to all the arguments for and against the GB team

Since then I have researched the subject and been to many more meetings all over Europe and this has cropped up many times based on the information I got and feedback from fans organisations throughout Europe I came to the conclusion that this GB Olympic football team was not being formed for the correct reasons morally or rationally but purely to attract spectators to the tournament...the fact that it could spell the end of the four National teams of the United Kingdom means nothing to Seb Coe and his organising committee...they are under pressure to justify the POSSIBLE 5 billion,yes BILLION pounds it is costing our country...and it could be even more than that.

If it was a guaranteed case of a one off..team...picked from the very best players from the 4 countries with another guarantee that their clubs would release them(THERE IS ALSO THE euro 2012 IN POLAND /UKRAINE) then yes maybe I could accept that we are putting the best of the best into the Olympics rather than a team of players who are not the best in their field but fit the criteria of being from these islands)

I fully support the British Olympic team in OLYMPIC events but not the football...football has its own major tournaments that we should be trying to participate in the finals of...any caps or glory any players would get out of winning a medal in this Olympics would be hollow and shallow...what have they done to earn it compared to others whose pinnacle in sport is the games?

I am Welsh and I am British...proud to be both...but this GB football team is a mock up only and not the real thing at all

I want a Welsh football team that my grandson can support...why take the risk?

We know we are crap at the moment but I would rather support a crap Welsh team at the World cup than a token Welsh player in a future GB team...believe me it is what the huge African continent are asking for...a combined team...so three extra places become available

I agree 100% with this and even if there is only a minimal chance of Wales losing their individual status within FIFA then in my opinion it's just not worth puting 135 years of our proud history at risk for 2 weeks of football which will be soon be forgotten about :(

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:38 am

There are a number of sports that i don't agree with participating at an Olympic games, & association football is one of them.
I don't want it what so ever!

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:15 pm

"What flag are they going to put up if they win it? [The] Union Jack? It's not my flag. My flag's a Dragon." (Neville Southall)

full story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13867792.stm :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:30 pm

I am not Anti-English or Anti-British - but I do regard Welsh as being my Nationality.

I respect other peoples views but I simply dont "feel" British whereas I do "feel" Welsh.

So in answer the the question if Team GB were playing Germany I would probably cheer on Team GB. However, if I was watching Germany-v-Japan I would probably support Germany.

I wouldnt support Team GB just because my passport deems me to be British.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:36 pm

on the new passports it states nationality and part of the European Union... so I guess we'll be all cheering France and Holland now as well??? Ahmmm.... NO!!! :shock:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:36 pm

Yes of course, why has this even been posted, look at the front of your passport and you will see you and we are all BRITISH :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:41 pm

I will be a coach on team GB in London and I fully support it.
Welsh and British. :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Rule Britannia. CCFC = British And Proud.

F*ck the Welsh nationalist cottage burners.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:59 pm

maesteg bluebird wrote:I'm welsh and catholic. f**k britain

You're British whether the f*ck you like it or not. If you have a problem with it f*ck off to another country.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:38 pm

I think we should definitely do it!! It would give british internationals the chance to actually win something! Its a shame though that we wont see the best players in britain playing together as big clubs wont let their players go and the team would only be allowed 3 over 23 year old players!

Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:15 pm

no supporters of the wales team, or england, scotland, norn iron for that matter, could support a gb team

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:18 pm

I could never support a GB team, can't really see how any Welshman who knows his history could! We were conquered by the English in 1282 ans since them they've systematically tried to get rid of us-our language and our culture and have succeeded by and large. It's a miracle that we are still here and that we have a football team representing our nation at all! Team GB is just another phase of the Anglicization of our minds!

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:49 pm

no for me,

just not interested in football at the olympics... on a world stage in should be the world cup... every four yrs and exciting..

i thought that the olympics was about amateur sports not paid pros ..

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:39 pm

Midfield general wrote:
Hofmeister wrote:on the new passports it states nationality and part of the European Union... so I guess we'll be all cheering France and Holland now as well??? Ahmmm.... NO!!! :shock:

You have a 'anti-fasict' avatar but surely it can be seen as fasict if welsh nationalists stop 'outsiders' to buying propoerty in rural wales..?

who said I support those who try to stop people from outside Wales buying property?

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:03 am

NEVER NOT IN A MILLION YEARS, THEY WILL WANT US COMPETING IN THE WORLD CUP NEXT. WELSH SUPPORTERS DONT GET ON WITH EACH OTHER I.E CARDIFF and swansea, HOW THE HELL ARE THE WELSH AND ENGLISH GOING TO MIX? SEGGREGATION FOR THE HOME FANS, I WONDER :?:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:45 am

I wouldn't want it if it put our position as our own national team in danger, however if it didn't I'd be all for it. Why can't someone from FIFA just sign a contract stating that we won't have to become a GB team in the future and then it'd be sorted.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:01 pm

CardiffYOURCapitalCity wrote:
maesteg bluebird wrote:I'm welsh and catholic. f**k britain

You're British whether the f*ck you like it or not. If you have a problem with it f*ck off to another country.

It's up to him. A passport is just a piece of paper, it's in the heart what matters.

In blood I'm half Welsh & half English. I regard myself as being 110% Welsh hence the 'Cymru Am Byth' tattoo on my left arm. ;)

I don't feel at all "British" regardless of what a piece of paper says. I will however acknowledge that I am from the UK. I am Welsh, from Wales, in the United Kingdom. If you know what I mean.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:17 pm

Canton stand baz wrote:There will be a team GB at the olympics next year. Wales, Scotland, Northen Ireland and England.

There is talk now that Scotland and Wales dont want want to be involved!!

Do you agree with this?

Could you get behind a team Great Britain?

I would find it hard to support a team GB!! but it could be the only chance for Welsh players to compete at a major tournament!!

Not sure on this one but would defo feel weird supporting team GB

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

of course...

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:37 pm

Very uneasy about this. I'm Welsh and British, like most of us here, but don't agree with a GB team for a number of reasons.

Firstly, despite what anybody says, there is an element of risk here, and we could lose our national side. Wales, that is.

Secondly, I'm not keen on non-football people (the BOA) getting involved in footballing matters.

Thirdly, football is not about individual players, but about our teams. The enemies of football, like egg-chasers, call us 'tribal', but that's what it's all about. Do we want Swansea to do well because they are Welsh? Do all the Rangers fans on here want Celtic to do well in Europe because they are a Scottish club, and by reason, British as well? Thought not!

So overall, no. Cardiff City and Wales for me. Happy enough to support England in the World Cup, but that support does not extend to Scotland and Northern Ireland. :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:54 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:Very uneasy about this. I'm Welsh and British, like most of us here, but don't agree with a GB team for a number of reasons.

Firstly, despite what anybody says, there is an element of risk here, and we could lose our national side. Wales, that is.

Secondly, I'm not keen on non-football people (the BOA) getting involved in footballing matters.

Thirdly, football is not about individual players, but about our teams. The enemies of football, like egg-chasers, call us 'tribal', but that's what it's all about. Do we want Swansea to do well because they are Welsh? Do all the Rangers fans on here want Celtic to do well in Europe because they are a Scottish club, and by reason, British as well? Thought not!

So overall, no. Cardiff City and Wales for me. Happy enough to support England in the World Cup, but that support does not extend to Scotland and Northern Ireland. :ayatollah:

I want Cardiff to do well because you're a Welsh club, however my only gripe with you (And many other clubs for that matter) is your overspending, which admittedly isn't the fault of the supporters. But the fact the 2008 FA Cup final was contested between Cardiff City & Portsmouth FC IMO highlights how farcical finance rules are in British football. What incentive is there to live within your means? F*ck all by the looks of it.

I don't like seeing the likes of yourselves spending what you can't afford whilst small, local clubs such as Scunthorpe United try to live within their means and get relegated and lose millions of pounds as a result I find this to be unfair and I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot you'd see it from their point of view.

But what you've done isn't illegal, so in that sense there's nothing wrong with it, but it just seems morally wrong, in Germany this wouldn't be allowed to happen, and they know the score when it comes to controlling finances in football. I wish we'd follow their model in the UK, in terms of their ticket prices, safe standing, controls on finances, etc. I think we'd be better off for it.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:09 pm

only if they had to have a certain number of players from each country in the starting 11