Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Could you support a TEAM GB???

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:45 pm

personally i don know y the us and the scots are making so much of it we are all british at thee end of the day!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:56 pm

no1bluebird wrote:personally i don know y the us and the scots are making so much of it we are all british at thee end of the day!!!!!!!!

SPOT ON and GOOD ON RAMSEY and BALE FOR SAYING YES :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

WERE IN AN ENGLISH LEAGUE, DOES ANYONE WANT TO LEAVE IT ?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Of course. I am British. No small minded bureaucrat is going to stop me doing that...or any Welsh nationalist. Besides the way Welsh, scottish and northern irish football is going in 50 years i reckon a GB team will take over.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:00 pm

RFMH wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:ill support them, im not that patriotic towards my country (wales), im wondering if welshcitydragon will :D

Basically this, though I support Wales/England/ScotlandIreland/whatever if i'm not doing anything and the match is on BBC/ITV/Sky etc.

SAME HERE :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " Could you support a TEAM GB??? "

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:20 pm

In 2006 myself and Gwyn davies went to Scotland to a meeting with the fans organisations of the other 3 countries at Hibernian Football club...we listened to all the arguments for and against the GB team

Since then I have researched the subject and been to many more meetings all over Europe and this has cropped up many times based on the information I got and feedback from fans organisations throughout Europe I came to the conclusion that this GB Olympic football team was not being formed for the correct reasons morally or rationally but purely to attract spectators to the tournament...the fact that it could spell the end of the four National teams of the United Kingdom means nothing to Seb Coe and his organising committee...they are under pressure to justify the POSSIBLE 5 billion,yes BILLION pounds it is costing our country...and it could be even more than that.

If it was a guaranteed case of a one off..team...picked from the very best players from the 4 countries with another guarantee that their clubs would release them(THERE IS ALSO THE euro 2012 IN POLAND /UKRAINE) then yes maybe I could accept that we are putting the best of the best into the Olympics rather than a team of players who are not the best in their field but fit the criteria of being from these islands)

I fully support the British Olympic team in OLYMPIC events but not the football...football has its own major tournaments that we should be trying to participate in the finals of...any caps or glory any players would get out of winning a medal in this Olympics would be hollow and shallow...what have they done to earn it compared to others whose pinnacle in sport is the games?

I am Welsh and I am British...proud to be both...but this GB football team is a mock up only and not the real thing at all

I want a Welsh football team that my grandson can support...why take the risk?

We know we are crap at the moment but I would rather support a crap Welsh team at the World cup than a token Welsh player in a future GB team...believe me it is what the huge African continent are asking for...a combined team...so three extra places become available

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:24 pm

corky wrote:In 2006 myself and Gwyn davies went to Scotland to a meeting with the fans organisations of the other 3 countries at Hibernian Football club...we listened to all the arguments for and against the GB team

Since then I have researched the subject and been to many more meetings all over Europe and this has cropped up many times based on the information I got and feedback from fans organisations throughout Europe I came to the conclusion that this GB Olympic football team was not being formed for the correct reasons morally or rationally but purely to attract spectators to the tournament...the fact that it could spell the end of the four National teams of the United Kingdom means nothing to Seb Coe and his organising committee...they are under pressure to justify the POSSIBLE 5 billion,yes BILLION pounds it is costing our country...and it could be even more than that.

If it was a guaranteed case of a one off..team...picked from the very best players from the 4 countries with another guarantee that their clubs would release them(THERE IS ALSO THE euro 2012 IN POLAND /UKRAINE) then yes maybe I could accept that we are putting the best of the best into the Olympics rather than a team of players who are not the best in their field but fit the criteria of being from these islands)

I fully support the British Olympic team in OLYMPIC events but not the football...football has its own major tournaments that we should be trying to participate in the finals of...any caps or glory any players would get out of winning a medal in this Olympics would be hollow and shallow...what have they done to earn it compared to others whose pinnacle in sport is the games?

I am Welsh and I am British...proud to be both...but this GB football team is a mock up only and not the real thing at all

I want a Welsh football team that my grandson can support...why take the risk?

We know we are crap at the moment but I would rather support a crap Welsh team at the World cup than a token Welsh player in a future GB team...believe me it is what the huge African continent are asking for...a combined team...so three extra places become available

What a great post. I was undecided before but everything in this post rings true.
For that reason Im out.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:40 pm

corky, so does every other sport have their own world championships! .... the olympics is different ... to be an olympian is a dream for every child with sporting ambitions ..... if i was a young footballer [cause its an under 23 tournament] id love the chance to compete for my nation with a possibility of winning a medal and if YOU were a young footballer YOU would too! .. its very easy to be against something if youve no chance of doing yourself! [btw i`m not knocking you i`m just stating a fact!]

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:54 pm

corky, so does every other sport have their own world championships! .... the olympics is different ... to be an olympian is a dream for every child with sporting ambitions ..... if i was a young footballer [cause its an under 23 tournament] id love the chance to compete for my nation with a possibility of winning a medal and if YOU were a young footballer YOU would too! .. its very easy to be against something if youve no chance of doing yourself! [btw i`m not knocking you i`m just stating a fact!]

Look you are entitled to your opinion...its great we can debate this and at the end of the day our views won't be taken into account...but if I was able to enter something and then went on to win it...it would feel shallow if I was not competing against the best opponents...that is why an Olympic football team is a mockery...it will generate a bit of interest for British fans seeing GB play France but without Rooney, Gerard,Guillaume Hoarau,Franck Ribéry etc but it is a false tournament only having a GB team because we are holding the event...we never had one for the last 30 years and the one we have now will be made up of players clubs are willing to release and token players from Northern Ireland Wales and Scotland.

Its all about opinions

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:58 pm

I'm suprised that a lot of people on this board don't seem to understand the facts on this one. I honestly believe if you'd support a team GB you don't deserve the Welsh, English, Scottish side you've taken claim to in the first place. Although each to their own, on us as individuals to make our own opinions on these things.

Many at FIFA hate the home nations, pretty sure as recent as the 1980s South American fifa members protested to have a Team GB instead. Because, as collectively Britain, we get 4 members in FIFA instead of one like every other country so have more of a say. That extends to UEFA who have more member nations than everyone else at FIFA (Because they let none European countries like Kazakhstan and Israel into their governance) so are the most powerful. Angering the South Americans and everyone else even more. Consolidation of power if you will. Many at FIFA don't want the home nations and instead a collective GB team, it's a fact. A simple vote amongst FIFA members could result in the expelling of Wales, Scotland, England from FIFA and the invitation of a GB team only.

So why on earth would we prove to them that a Team GB is actually possible? We are just proving their argument. And all for a glorified Under 23s football tournement! Which is the grand scheme of football means sweet f**k all. :lol:

Now of course you could go ahead and say, it's all hearsay, it might not even happen, and probably won't. Maybe! But on the flipside it could too. We have the third oldest football association in the entire World! Our own national football team to be proud of (and being part of Britain we aren't afforded much to be proud of as Welshmen), I love my nation and it's football team. I don't even want to RISK losing 135 years of Welsh football Association history for what is a novelty football tournament at best. Simple.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:05 pm

A GB team involving Wales and Scotland will end up with

NO WELSH INTERNATIONAL TEAM WITHIN FIVE YEARS,

AND NO SCOTLAND TEAM.....and

as the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish players woud have to play for the UK/GB team.......the ENGISH players would also have to play in the UK/GB team.

So THIS WOULD BE END OF THE ENGLAND TEAM .....have the English supporters of the GB team thought of that ?

FIFA has said that the Wales & Scottish team will not be affected in any way by the GB team playing in the Olympics,
and I believe that came from Blatter himself....

Hands up who trusts him ?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:19 pm

I will, especially cos the footy is in the mill stadium for the olympics! Don't believe me, check it.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:25 pm

Yes 100% I support any British team I want the British Lions to Win so why not a British football team i will support England/Scotland and / Ni I will not support the republic of Ireland as they are just foreigners as far as I am concerned
The only problem I have with the British lions is it is the British and Irish lions but I still support it because of the British element

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:34 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:Yes 100% I support any British team I want the British Lions to Win so why not a British football team i will support England/Scotland and / Ni I will not support the republic of Ireland as they are just foreigners as far as I am concerned
The only problem I have with the British lions is it is the British and Irish lions but I still support it because of the British element

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So what you are effectively saying is, because the English weren't upto the task of invading Southern Ireland properly and taking control - it makes the Southern Irish foreign, and the Northern Irish un-foreign. So you only support the nations of whipping-boys who got conquered and made the English's bitch like Wales, Northern Ireland & largely Scotland? :lol:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:44 pm

McMurdo wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:Yes 100% I support any British team I want the British Lions to Win so why not a British football team i will support England/Scotland and / Ni I will not support the republic of Ireland as they are just foreigners as far as I am concerned

So what you are effectively saying is, because the English weren't upto the task of invading Southern Ireland properly and taking control - it makes the Southern Irish foreign, and the Northern Irish un-foreign. So you only support the nations of whipping-boys who got conquered and made the English's bitch like Wales, Northern Ireland & largely Scotland? :lol:

I must be we got kicked out of France India and many other countries and I do not support them I however do have an affection for countries that help the British during the 2nd world war from the tyrant Hiltler and I think the Irish did not help out there So why should I support the South Irish would have killed our troops and civilians in larger numbers in the 20th and 21 st century than any other english speaking nation

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:47 pm

No I wouldnt

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:48 pm

corky is spot on, i just can't believe the alarm aren't ringing for some people. why would you risk it all for a poxy 2 week u23 tournament?! the fact that fifa have given assurances means sod all as any new committee holds the right to overturn it! out of interest corky - what are the views from the Welsh assembly if any?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:
McMurdo wrote:

I must be we got kicked out of France India and many other countries and I do not support them I however do have an affection for countries that help the British during the 2nd world war from the tyrant Hiltler and I think the Irish did not help out there So why should I support the South Irish would have killed our troops and civilians in larger numbers in the 20th and 21 st century than any other english speaking nation

What about the 27 thousand Irish men that died fighting for Britain in World War One? Oh and the French invaded England (Normans) it wasn't really the other way around. That and the Saxons who came after and are the British we know today are Germans, much like them Nazis were Germans. The point im getting at, is, why distinquish between them as ''foreign''?

We, the Welsh, are Celts, so more like the Irish and the Scottish than the English, Saxons. Still I don't class the English as foreigners, they are the same as me. Even if they do class me as foreign (Wales means Foreign in English). This is getting confusing aint it? :lol:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:57 pm

As a man who is proud to be Welsh, but equaly proud to be from Great Britain yes I would support a
GB Football Team at the Olympics.

To deprive any Welsh Young Footballer of taking part would I believe, be utterly spiteful and if I were Ramsey/Bale or whoever I would stick 2 fingers up to the Welsh FA and say Im playing.

There is no way that FIFA would make England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland lose their right to play International Football as lone countries, it would cause uproar and would be the straw that broke the camels back for FIFA.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Canton stand baz wrote:There will be a team GB at the olympics next year. Wales, Scotland, Northen Ireland and England.

There is talk now that Scotland and Wales dont want want to be involved!!

Do you agree with this?

Could you get behind a team Great Britain?

I would find it hard to support a team GB!! but it could be the only chance for Welsh players to compete at a major tournament!!

Not sure on this one but would defo feel weird supporting team GB

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I think it'll be good. Only chance players like Bale and Rambo will have to play in a major tournament, internationally!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:12 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:No interest in GB whatsoever

Welsh & proud

Welsh & Proud
Cardiff & Proud
but also British and Proud.

I'd like to see it

(also fat and proud, and bald and proud but thats for another day)

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:16 pm

Well said Corky.

Loads of facts from Corky and none of the "I want to be able to say I was there" hype.

I can't believe so many on here are supporting that Wales be in GB team.....don't they see the acute danger to the Welsh National Teams. Not just the "A" team but all of the age groups.

The olympc football is being played in large stadiums which they are desperate to get at least half full.

IF THE WELSH AND SCOTTISH TEAMS WERE TO BE SCRAPPED - if the worst happened and FIFA renaged on their "pledge" - THE ENGLAND TEAM WOULD BE SCRAPPED TOO.

I am amazed that the English FA are not against the GB scheme. If the FAW, and SFA go up the swanny, then so shall they.
I am amazed that they are taking the risk after the Blatter splatter they got at the World Cup 2018 vote fiasco. :shock:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:17 pm

Yes I would support them 100% :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:18 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:As a man who is proud to be Welsh, but equaly proud to be from Great Britain yes I would support a

To deprive any Welsh Young Footballer of taking part would I believe, be utterly spiteful and if I were Ramsey/Bale or whoever I would stick 2 fingers up to the Welsh FA and say Im playing.

There is no way that FIFA would make England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland lose their right to play International Football as lone countries, it would cause uproar and would be the straw that broke the camels back for FIFA.

Uproar ???? it would not cause uproar, it would cause celebration in 95% of the countries.

Dream On.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:29 pm

I will support a team GB football team at the Olympics.

I wish that the north of Ireland wasn't part of it though as I'd like to see a United Ireland ultimately.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:41 pm

i've got my pick n shovel! wrote:
Canton stand baz wrote:There will be a team GB at the olympics next year. Wales, Scotland, Northen Ireland and England.

There is talk now that Scotland and Wales dont want want to be involved!!

Do you agree with this?

Could you get behind a team Great Britain?

I would find it hard to support a team GB!! but it could be the only chance for Welsh players to compete at a major tournament!!

Not sure on this one but would defo feel weird supporting team GB

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I think it'll be good. Only chance players like Bale and Rambo will have to play in a major tournament, internationally!

The trouble is though it IS NOT a major tournament!

Like Corky has said, the Olympics should be the pinnacle of the participating sport. Football shouldn't be in it !!!!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:56 pm

barry boy wrote:
MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:As a man who is proud to be Welsh, but equaly proud to be from Great Britain yes I would support a

Uproar ???? it would not cause uproar, it would cause celebration in 95% of the countries.

Dream On.

Plenty of countries have already said they would not support Fifa taking away the individual status of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Why on earth would 95% of countries celebrate us having our individual right to compete as individual nations. If anything, it would have a bad effect on the top countries in Europe and the World, as England would basicly have their team plus the pick of the best and would be a force to be reckoned with thus making things more difficult for themselves to win tournaments.

The argument against a Team GB in the Olympics is based on the theory that we will lose the right to compete alone.

It wont.

End of argument.

Secondly, if the argument is that we dont want to play in a GB Team as people dont class themselves as British and dont want to play in a Team with England I seriously suggest we consider the position of Cardiff City Football Club.

I am sick to death of the anti British, anti English feeling that runs through the place and some of our fans.

It might be an idea to withdraw from the English Football League and English Cup Competitions and join the League of Wales or perhaps support Conahs Quay Nomads.

Wales forever.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:33 pm

No I wouldnt support them

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:44 pm

No never, I strongly oppose the formation of team GB. **** the queen.

Welsh not British !

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:46 pm

I would support them :ayatollah: I really can't see the argument that we will loose our national team just because we'll have a team in the olympics.Would never happen! maybe im being nieve but I really can't see it

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland and England make up the Olympic team together and always have, and I've always supported them in whatever sport the respective individual or team compete in. It'll be no different for the football team.

Go Team GB!!