Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Could you support a TEAM GB??? "

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:47 pm

There will be a team GB at the olympics next year. Wales, Scotland, Northen Ireland and England.

There is talk now that Scotland and Wales dont want want to be involved!!

Do you agree with this?

Could you get behind a team Great Britain?

I would find it hard to support a team GB!! but it could be the only chance for Welsh players to compete at a major tournament!!

Not sure on this one but would defo feel weird supporting team GB

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Could you support a TEAM GB???

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Canton stand baz wrote:There will be a team GB at the olympics next year. Wales, Scotland, Northen Ireland and England.

Do you agree with this?

I would find it hard to support a team GB!! but it could be the only chance for Welsh players to compete at a major tournament!!

Yes Without a Doubt I will SUPPORT THEM. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:51 pm

ill support them, im not that patriotic towards my country (wales), im wondering if welshcitydragon will :D

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:54 pm

only Rambo and Bale.

Hopefully they get a gold medal. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:55 pm

It would seem a bit strange, but yes why not. Probably the only chance for Welsh/Scottish/Ulster players to compete in a proper tournament.

Probably the only chance for English players to be in a competitive side

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Wouldnt be suprised if Giggs all of a sudden would want to play :roll: :roll: :roll:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:03 pm

yes i would one billion %

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:06 pm

I have been campaigning against it since 2006 and will always say...shove it up your arse...It is a publicity stunt to try to attract fans to the football in the Olympics...nothing more...when did we last have a team GB in the Olympics..who were the two finalists at the last two Olympics...how many people can honestly answer those two simple questions?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Yes, i'd support them.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:09 pm

corky wrote:I have been campaigning against it since 2006 and will always say...shove it up your arse...It is a publicity stunt to try to attract fans to the football in the Olympics...nothing more...when did we last have a team GB in the Olympics..who were the two finalists at the last two Olympics...how many people can honestly answer those two simple questions?

meh britain will make money from it so they dont care.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:12 pm

No interest in GB whatsoever

Welsh & proud

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:12 pm

corky wrote:I have been campaigning against it since 2006 and will always say...shove it up your arse...It is a publicity stunt to try to attract fans to the football in the Olympics...nothing more...when did we last have a team GB in the Olympics..who were the two finalists at the last two Olympics...how many people can honestly answer those two simple questions?

Last competed 1960, i think.
Lost to Brazil ?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:14 pm

I wrote this piece in May since then FIFA has become even more of a worry...Today I hear agreement has been made.....????????????????

WELL NOT ACCORDING TO THE SCOTTISH OR WELSH FA's who are both opposed to it...so who has come to this agreement?

The NoTeamGB.com campaign is run by fans organisations from England (FSF), Northern Ireland (Amalgamation of Northern Ireland Supporters Clubs), Scotland (Association of Tartan Army Clubs) and Wales (FSF Cymru) and we are united in our opposition to the creation of a Great Britain football team for the purposes of the 2012 Olympics or beyond.

There is a real and present threat to the very existence of our international teams if a Team GB competes at the London Olympics. This would set a dangerous precedent of competing as Team GB which may endanger our special status within FIFA.

England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are members of FIFA due to special statutes endorsed in 1947 as a direct result of saving FIFA from bankruptcy after the war. The Home nations hold 4 of the 8 votes on the International Committee (the guardians of the rules of football) as well as automatic Vice-Presidency of FIFA.

This power within FIFA is looked on with envious eyes and our special status has been called into question several times over the last 30 years. All it would take is a 2/3rds majority vote at any FIFA General meeting for our international teams to disappear forever.

The aim of the NoTeamGB.com campaign is to educate the public and fellow fans as to the dangers involved and to expose the false statements from non-football people. Our objective is to have the BOA and UK Government drop this futile campaign which puts at risk the future of our national teams.

Is the opposition to a Team GB just confined to Scotland, Northern Ireland and Welsh Football fans?

No! England fans (the Football Supporters Federation) also voted against participating as Team GB at the Olympics and are opposed to any of the parties putting forward any team under the guise of Team GB.

Britain previously had an Olympic Football Team, which I believe ran up till 1979 what is the difference between then and now? Why not opposition to such an idea when it was in action?

Britain last qualified for the Olympics in 1960, and the last failed qualifying campaign was for the 1972 Olympics. At this time, Olympic football was an amateur competition for UEFA based teams but professionals were allowed to play for countries from other federations.

The Olympic Football competition was fully opened to professionals at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics to attract more interest in the competition, however a compromise was agreed with FIFA to make it an U23 competition so as not to rival the world cup.

GB stopped competing after 1972 when the English FA abolished the distinction between Amateur and Professional. The home nations had a gentlemen's agreement not to compete in the Olympics even if a qualification place was secured by the performances of the U21s. This very scenario has happened 3 times with Scotland qualifying for the 1992 and 1996 Olympics and England qualifying for the 2008 Olympics.

FIFA President Sepp Blatter recently gave assurances that the Home Nations would not be forced to merge even if they established a Team GB and allowed it to compete in the 2012 London Olympics is he not to be trusted?

Neither Sepp Blatter nor Jerome Valcke are in any position to give any such assurances. FIFA operates as a democracy, and it would be 2/3rds of the FIFA members that would decide on the future of the home nations teams, not any one individual. Absolutely no official (from FIFA or otherwise) is in any position to make any guarantees as to how any of the member states may vote in the future.

Sepp Blatter actually released a completely contradictory statement in March 2008 when he said:
"If you start to put together a combined team for the Olympic Games, the question will automatically come up that there are four different associations so how can they play in one team.
If this is the case then why the hell do they have four associations and four votes and their own vice-presidency?

This will put into question all the privileges that the British associations have been given by the Congress in 1946."
This warning, from the most powerful man in football, should leave every football fan in no doubt as to what is at stake here, the very existence of our International Football Teams.

Former Scotland Boss Craig Brown has came out publicly backing the campaign who else has endorsed it?

The NoTeamGB.com campaign is a fans campaign, however we completely endorse Craig Brown petition.

This is not an election looking for celebrity endorsements; this is a fight for the future of our International Teams.

Michel Platini recently demanded Gordon Brown to butt out of the Team GB argument is this 'Olympic Football Team' purely a Political PR Stunt by the Westminster Government?

It is a commonly held belief that there is political pressure from both the UK Government and the BOA being placed on the English FA to enter a Team as Team GB into the football team. FC Britain does not exist. It has no home, no strip, no manager, no players and certainly no fans.

Lord Coe, one of the biggest advocates of Team GB, recently admitted that he couldn't issue any guarantees that playing as Team GB would not affect the future of our international football teams.

Why are the BOA, the FA and other bodies that back the idea of a Team GB so hell bent on doing it even without the backing of the other Home Nations?

The Olympic credo is;
"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well"
The BOA has lost its way and forgotten that the Olympics is about participation, not winning at any cost. It's simply about medals, sponsorship and money these days. Just ask the athletes from sports that didn't do so well in 2008 that have just had their budgets slashed. Just ask all the good causes throughout Great Britain that have had lottery money taken from them to support this London Olympics. In a country where football is the most popular sport, it is seen as guaranteed source of income for the 2012 Olympics and the BOA and Olympic Organising Committee remain keen to exploit this.

The BOA has insisted that it will enter a team for 2012 Olympics, however, this is not simply "lacking endorsement" from the SFA, FAW and the IFA, it is absolutely opposed to the very public and unequivocal stance taken by all three associations and neither the BOA, The FA or the UK Government has any moral or governance right to do so.

The BOA and UK Government are looking for guarantees and special dispensation from FIFA for Team GB to take part. The sensible way forward would be to look for special dispensation from the IOC to allow all 4 home nations to enter the football team under their own banner. This would create even more of the much needed revenue and TV interest which seems to be at the heart of this relentless campaign.

If the BOA are determined to bend existing rules to ensure a British footballing presence, then it would seem logical for them to bend the IOC rules, and not those of a completely separate organisation (FIFA) over which they have no control, influence or governance and which places the future of all four home nations at risk for the sake of a one off under 23 tournament which remains a nonentity in the world of football.

The "No Team GB" campaign started in May 2006 as a result of the inaugural meeting at Easter Road, Edinburgh of the Scottish, English, Welsh and Northern Ireland official Fans Groups.

Back in 2006 it was comments from Lord Coe and Simon Clegg that mainly appeared in the newspapers and internet, stating a GB football team would be entered in 2012 and possibly 2008. It was increasingly difficult to get responses printed from the NoTeamGB.com campaign, especially on the BBC, the Olympic broadcaster.

Political interference:
Prime Minister Gordon Brown has had meetings with FIFA supremo Sepp Blatter, in a bid to keep up the pressure on the 3 dissenting associations. Secretary of State for Scotland, Jim Murphy MP, had a meeting with FIFA's Jerome Valcke without inviting or even talking to the SFA, FAW and IFA first.

In a surprise development, the SFA, FAW and IFA released a joint letter to the BOA, FIFA, the UK Government stating in no uncertain terms that they will be having nothing to do with an Olympic team.

There are Fans of all 4 countries that are behind this decision not just Wales, and they feel strongly about this issue..there is no campaign in support of it just mutterings from a few saying they are not bothered or let the players play etc....the consequences seem to be missed by these people?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:15 pm

would deff back team gb

rule britannia

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:16 pm

As a general rule, no. But for the Olympics....YES!! I'll be supporting GB in every other competition too. So why should it be different for football.

BRITISH AND PROUD :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:17 pm

politics and football should never mix corky! people in the welsh fa frightened they might lose their cushy little jobs i expect .... i would always love to see a great britain side in the olympics! ... the reason i dont know who won the last olympics is because of my lack of interest due to us not competing!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:21 pm

Never in a million years.

Some of my best times watching football have been with Wales and I am immensely proud to be able to stand and sing Hen Wlad fy Nhadau.

Team GB would not give me the opportunity to do that and so I would not support them.

As it is, FIFA have said our status would be protected... and I do not believe a word they say.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:22 pm

ok then....how bout supporting the welsh boys? :roll:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:22 pm

PhatFrog wrote:As a general rule, no. But for the Olympics....YES!! I'll be supporting GB in every other competition too. So why should it be different for football.

REMEMBER WHEN THERES A WAR WE ARE ALL UNITED AS ONE
WELL SAID Hannah :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:23 pm

I am really not interested in a few jobs at the FAW...rather the real threat of us losing our national team over a Micky mouse tournament that nobody would give a rats arse about if it was not being played here.

Its all about money...There is the world cup and Euros for football players to reach their heights in football if Bale or Ramsey want an Olympic gold perhaps they want to enter the high jump or something that really is in the spirits of the Olympics...not a contrived team that will be mainly under 24 and not the BEST in the UK so what is the point? Feck me Beckham wants to play in it now lol

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:25 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:Never in a million years.

Some of my best times watching football have been with Wales and I am immensely proud to be able to stand and sing Hen Wlad fy Nhadau.

Team GB would not give me the opportunity to do that and so I would not support them.

As it is, FIFA have said our status would be protected... and I do not believe a word they say.

if they are giving their word then why not believe them? ... why is everyone so paranoid? .... dont tell me its because of the world cup voting!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:26 pm

corky wrote:I am really not interested in a few jobs at the FAW...rather the real threat of us losing our national team over a Micky mouse tournament that nobody would give a rats arse about if it was not being played here.

Its all about money...There is the world cup and Euros for football players to reach their heights in football if Bale or Ramsey want an Olympic gold perhaps they want to enter the high jump or something that really is in the spirits of the Olympics...not a contrived team that will be mainly under 24 and not the BEST in the UK so what is the point? Feck me Beckham wants to play in it now lol

Corky We will Never Lose Our Identity. The Olympics are Totally Different, COME ON SUPPORT THEM, WE ARE WELSH BUT WE ARE ALSO ALL BRITISH :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
PhatFrog wrote:As a general rule, no. But for the Olympics....YES!! I'll be supporting GB in every other competition too. So why should it be different for football.

totally agree with you both , you can be proud of being Wesh and British at the same time :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I think oeople need to get over their bitterness. We are BRITISH. End of. None of this Welsh not British bullshit. IT SAYS British on your passport!!

Im British AND Welsh. Proud to he both :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:28 pm

PhatFrog wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I think oeople need to get over their bitterness. We are BRITISH. End of. None of this Welsh not British bullshit. IT SAYS British on your passport!!

Im British AND Welsh. Proud to he both :ayatollah:

here here (still think we should do what the french did and kill off the royals ;) )

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:29 pm

corky wrote:I am really not interested in a few jobs at the FAW...rather the real threat of us losing our national team over a Micky mouse tournament that nobody would give a rats arse about if it was not being played here.

:lol: i love you answer here corky! ... you are correct ... the olympics is about ATHLETICS and not football, hockey, boxing, shooting etc etc! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: but if there is a football tournament then we should be in it!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:29 pm

I've said it a thousand times and i'll say it again. Football should not be in the Olympics! The Olympics should only be track and field in my opinion, plus the other proper olympic sports like gymnastics, judo, fencing, diving, swimming, archery etc. Putting football into the Olympics isn't right, it's not an Olympic sport, simple as that.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Canton stand baz wrote:There will be a team GB at the olympics next year. Wales, Scotland, Northen Ireland and England.

Do you agree with this?

yep,why not,its for the olympics thats all,we support g.b in athletics etc. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:ill support them, im not that patriotic towards my country (wales), im wondering if welshcitydragon will :D

Basically this, though I support Wales/England/ScotlandIreland/whatever if i'm not doing anything and the match is on BBC/ITV/Sky etc.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:44 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I've said it a thousand times and i'll say it again. Football should not be in the Olympics! The Olympics should only be track and field in my opinion, plus the other proper olympic sports like gymnastics, judo, fencing, diving, swimming, archery etc. Putting football into the Olympics isn't right, it's not an Olympic sport, simple as that.

they mite aswell make darts and olympic sport.

on a serious note bring back tug of war at the olympics. would create great interest