Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

we cant afford to bring big names in anymore

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:20 am

the players being mentioned on here,maybe free but command a large weekly wage,i think the club have to forget £10-20,000 players and try and build a team that we as a club can afford :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: we cant afford to bring big names in anymore

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:32 am

Midfield general wrote:I thought we had £20 million to spend..?

do we,is it a fact and how far does £20 million go these days £20,000= £1,000,000 a year,thats without paying bonuses and transfer fees:ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:39 am

Midfield general wrote:
krab wrote:

do we,is it a fact and how far does £20 million go these days £20,000= £1,000,000 a year,thats without paying bonuses :ayatollah:

well I would very much doubt that the Malaysians are going to put £20 million spending money to stay in the Championship because they aren't going to hang around throwing money at this project if there's no progress being made.

they along with me cant have many expectations this year surely

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:52 am

its not all about the money in getting promoted, swansea and norwich did it on the cheap.

it all depends on malkay and who he signs

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:05 am

jezzy666 wrote:its not all about the money in getting promoted, swansea and norwich did it on the cheap.

it all depends on malkay and who he signs

Exactly, I'd rather to it that way than keep throwing money at it.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:19 am

We can afford to sign anyone we like!!

The budget is MASSIVE for this division

But we dont need all that money.

Malky Mackays side last year would have been on a fraction of what our
players were earning, they had no 'big' players, I bet the highest earner
would have been on around 6k a week. Yes, they faded, but they didnt
have the strength in depth, and Mackay had young lads playing out of
their skins.

Imagine if Malky had been given a transfer kitty of 5m in the January window!!!

I believe there was something fundamentally wrong at Cardiff City during the last
managers reign. Which is why i also think there will be a big clear out of the
backroom staff!!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:33 am

I believe there was something fundamentally wrong at Cardiff City during the last
managers reign. Which is why i also think there will be a big clear out of the
backroom staff!!

I think this statement is stating the bloody obvious, Mackay will want his own team . I would think! anyway!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:09 am

This is a difficult one really. Firstly is the combined transfer and wages budget actually £20,000,000? is it a definate or is it hearsay? I believe at the moment it's hearsay.

Are TG and VT expecting us to be pushing for promotion or are they realistically considering a top 6 finish as "above expectations"? There are a few clubs this season what I would call "planning to push the boat out" e.g Leicester and Forest, plus you have The Ammers and Brum with the parachute payments. Realistically if we aim to be challenging with these other teams then we need to be a little ambitious with our signings as well.

Our manager has a mammoth task ahead of him and whether or not he gets good backing from our board will go a long way towards to how we perform this season, Do we go for it like last season in the knowledge that our new manager could probably get a little more from his players than the last incumbent and possibly take us to the promised, or do we be more restrained with the finance and hope he can perform miracles and get us up to the expense of Brum or Forest etc, or would they be happy to except that a rebuilding job is needed and consolidate but have a good go the season after this?

Being realistic a mid table finish would be job done IMO, to virtually rebuild a team from scratch and expect to be pushing at the top would be over ambitious on our part, so being able to afford big name players will depend entirely on TG and VT's thought on how quickly they want us in the top league.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:22 am

CF64 BLUE wrote:This is a difficult one really. Firstly is the combined transfer and wages budget actually £20,000,000? is it a definate or is it hearsay? I believe at the moment it's hearsay.

Are TG and VT expecting us to be pushing for promotion or are they realistically considering a top 6 finish as "above expectations"? There are a few clubs this season what I would call "planning to push the boat out" e.g Leicester and Forest, plus you have The Ammers and Brum with the parachute payments. Realistically if we aim to be challenging with these other teams then we need to be a little ambitious with our signings as well.

Our manager has a mammoth task ahead of him and whether or not he gets good backing from our board will go a long way towards to how we perform this season, Do we go for it like last season in the knowledge that our new manager could probably get a little more from his players than the last incumbent and possibly take us to the promised, or do we be more restrained with the finance and hope he can perform miracles and get us up to the expense of Brum or Forest etc, or would they be happy to except that a rebuilding job is needed and consolidate but have a good go the season after this?

Being realistic a mid table finish would be job done IMO, to virtually rebuild a team from scratch and expect to be pushing at the top would be over ambitious on our part, so being able to afford big name players will depend entirely on TG and VT's thought on how quickly they want us in the top league.

Last season, at the start, Jones brought in:

Heaton, Naylor, Olifinjana, Drinkwater, Bellamy, Koumas, Keogh...

This season, Mackay still has Heaton, Hudson, Keinan, McNaughton, Quinn,
Blake,Whittingham, McPhail, Parkin,

So... actually, we arent in that much of a different position to last season

We need 2-3 strikers, and 3-4 midfielders

...We reached the Play-offs last season so I dont see why we cant improve on
it to be honest ( i bet Malky aint thinking top ten finish ;) )

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:25 am

I suspect Darcy Blake could turn into a bloody exciting player under
Mackay. His distribution has been poor at times, but his touch,
his tackling, his reading of the game are first rate... work on his
stamina and diet.... we might just have a gem there

Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:05 pm

taffyapple wrote:I suspect Darcy Blake could turn into a bloody exciting player under
Mackay. His distribution has been poor at times, but his touch,
his tackling, his reading of the game are first rate... work on his
stamina and diet.... we might just have a gem there

yeah I strongly agree, he has the makings to be a top class player but someone needs to get that into his head.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:32 pm

taffyapple wrote:
CF64 BLUE wrote:This is a difficult one really. Firstly is the combined transfer and wages budget actually £20,000,000? is it a definate or is it hearsay? I believe at the moment it's hearsay.

Last season, at the start, Jones brought in:

Heaton, Naylor, Olifinjana, Drinkwater, Bellamy, Koumas, Keogh...

This season, Mackay still has Heaton, Hudson, Keinan, McNaughton, Quinn,
Blake,Whittingham, McPhail, Parkin,

So... actually, we arent in that much of a different position to last season

We need 2-3 strikers, and 3-4 midfielders

...We reached the Play-offs last season so I dont see why we cant improve on
it to be honest ( i bet Malky aint thinking top ten finish ;) )

But I feel that the league is much stronger this season, plus clubs like Leicester, Forest and Ipswich are going for it in the transfer market this time around, plus Burnley and Reading will be up there as well, big ask for us to be in the mix but I would love to be proved wrong.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:42 pm

yes we can

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Do we?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:yes we can

explain :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm

krab wrote:

20mil and £14mil of it is wages. Surely that would be enough :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
krab wrote:

20mil and £14mil of it is wages. Surely that would be enough :ayatollah:

what did we spend last year on wages :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:12 pm

krab wrote:[quote="20mil and £14mil of it is wages. Surely that would be enough :ayatollah:

what did we spend last year on wages :ayatollah:[/quote]

no idea :lol:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
krab wrote:[quote="20mil and £14mil of it is wages. Surely that would be enough :ayatollah:

no idea :lol:[/quote]
well thats alot of help,your a young computer whizz kid,find out :D :D :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:20 pm

krab wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:

no idea :lol:

well thats alot of help,your a young computer whizz kid,find out :D :D :ayatollah:[/quote]

im also a bone idol teenager who cant be arsed :D :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:14 pm

16 million on wages last year :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:27 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:16 million on wages last year :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:o :o :o ,and this is why we cant afford big names :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:28 pm

krab wrote:
troobloo3339 wrote:16 million on wages last year :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:o :o :o ,and this is why we cant afford big names :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

you can just gotta be careful