Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: PLASTIC FANS/GLORY SUPPORTERS/NOT SUPPORTING YOUR LOCAL TEA

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:54 pm

CF64 BLUE wrote:
Wash DC Blue wrote:To put people in South Wales who support Cardiff in the same bracket as those from South Wales who support the big premiership clubs is insulting.

But they all ATTEND games just support different teams. For me there's only one team "The Blooooobirds" but I respect another proper fan who by his own choice supports a big 5 team, if he goes to games rather than watch on telly then I have no problem with him and he's certainly not a plastic.

That puts me out as being a proper fan then as I have only attended 3 games in the last few years lol.
I do take time off from work though for midweek fixtures to listen on CC World.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:02 am

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:So to summarise.

If you are from Merthyr, Newport, Gwent Valleys, Upper Rhymney Valley, Abergaveny, Usk, Porthcawl, North Wales, Neath, Port Talbot, Maesteg, Pontpool, The Rhondda, Aberdare, Abercynon, Mountain Ash, Nelson, or anywhere north of Fiddlers Elbow you are a Glory supporter because you chose to support Cardiff City Football Club over, delete as applicable.

Merthyr Tydfil, Newport County, Swansea City, Hereford United, Wrexham.

Same as someone from Walsall, Reditch, Hednesdord, Shrewsbury, Telford, Wednesbury, Willenhall, Smethwick
Dudley, Brierly Hill, Oldbury, Hilltop, Halesownen, Cannock would be a Glory Supporter for supporting for suporting Aston Villa over delete as applicable

WBA, Wolves, Shrewsbury Town, AFC Telford, Walsall.

you are either on a really big wind up mate or you consider yourself a better class of supporter or a better bluebird than everyone else. If i wanted to be a glory supporter i think i could have done a little bit better than cardiff city, i think manchester united or liverpool would have been my choice, tell you what why settle for a british team i may have picked barcelona. My choice to support Cardiff City is mine and mine alone and regardless of where i come from i chose cardiff city, not for glory, but because it is my fathers team and my grandfathers team and im certainly not a plastic or a glory supporter if i was id be purchasing a season ticket for the liberty stadium. Football is my religion Cardiff City is my religious chapter and ill leave my chapter on pain of death.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:10 am

Wash DC Blue wrote:To put people in South Wales who support Cardiff in the same bracket as those from South Wales who support the big premiership clubs is insulting.

Its not insulting mate its evening the balance.

If your going to say at least they support a Welsh Club then that is shocking.

Explain to me the following, .. for what reason does somebody from Newport, Merthyr, Neath/Port Talbot, Wrexham or North Wales support Cardiff City Football Club.

If Notingham Forrest under McLaren get into the Premier League and people from Mansfield start following them they woukd be abused for not supporting their local team. Mansfield Town.

What is the difference between that and people from Newport following Cardiff City.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:17 am

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Going on from the Glasgow Rangers thread I would ask the following.

Given the fact that possibly over 50% of Cardif City Supporters come from outside of Cardiff
and many of these fans ignore/have ignored teams on their doorstep, ie Newport County, Swansea City, Merthyr Tyfil, Hereford United and to some extent Wrexham, do you not think that we are sometimes a tad hypocrtical in brandishing the 'Plastic Fans, Support your Local team argument out.

I was on an away trip back in 2005 where our bus picked up a load of lads in Cwmbran, we saw some Villa Fans in Frankley Services with a Walsall Villa Flag, the lads from Cwmbran proceded to give them a rendition of we support our local team.

Thing is, they dont do they. Walsall is 8 miles from Villa Park, Cwmbran is 18 Miles from Cardiff City Stadim, Newports Ground is 7.3 Miles from Cwmbran, neither set of lads support their local team do they.

Now lets take the argument, the point is, people from Walsall should support Walsall right? but people from Cwmbran are ok to ignore County and follow Cardiff, 11 Miles futher away. Dont tell me? County are shit,

Hypocracy at its finest.

Im not being funny here.

I am very glad that Cardiff City has so many fans from various places, but in the cold light of day, someone from Merthyr who supports Cardiff is just as bad as someone who supports Liverpool from Merthyr are they not?

Lads in Merthyr support Cardiff cos Merthyr are shit, lads in Newport support Cardiff cos Newport are shit, some people in Cardiff support Liverpool cos they reckon Cardiff are shit, every single one of these people turns there back on their local team to support someone higher up the league.

Look at my name bro..... :D I lived in Tenerife for 9 years and then in Canada for a year and a half, I've been supporting the City for 40 years and been a season ticket holder for 15 years+ and still am to this day, I used to fly back for various games when I could but it didnt matter if I couldnt because my tickets were paid for the whole season so I supported the team I love by buying a season ticket every year. I used to go and watch Tenerife, "(my local team :roll: )" everytime they were home unless of course I flew back to watch a City game. For the record, where I lived in Tenerife is approx. 2018 miles from the CCS. In Canada the nearest professional football (soccer) team to me is Toronto FC which is approx 4325 miles away from where I lived so instead I went to watch Calgary Flames ice hockey unless of course I flew back to watch the City when I could and if I couldnt then it didnt matter because the tickets were paid for the whole season. Does that make me plastic??? :o Does that make me a glory supporter??? :? I think not. :lol: My point is....it doesnt matter where you live, it has got more to do with history, ie. who your family support etc etc, your team is your team and thats that. I do understand though what you mean in some of your post. You should be glad and grateful of the support we have for Cardiff no matter where they live or indeed come from. :mrgreen:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:24 am

JONNY012697 wrote:

If you are from Merthyr, Newport, Gwent Valleys, Upper Rhymney Valley, Abergaveny, Usk, Porthcawl, North Wales, Neath, Port Talbot, Maesteg, Pontpool, The Rhondda, Aberdare, Abercynon, Mountain Ash, Nelson, or anywhere north of Fiddlers Elbow you are a Glory supporter because you chose to support Cardiff City Football Club over, delete as applicable.

Same as someone from Walsall, Reditch, Hednesdord, Shrewsbury, Telford, Wednesbury, Willenhall, Smethwick
Dudley, Brierly Hill, Oldbury, Hilltop, Halesownen, Cannock would be a Glory Supporter for supporting for suporting Aston Villa over delete as applicable

you are either on a really big wind up mate or you consider yourself a better class of supporter or a better bluebird than everyone else. If i wanted to be a glory supporter i think i could have done a little bit better than cardiff city, i think manchester united or liverpool would have been my choice, tell you what why settle for a british team i may have picked barcelona. My choice to support Cardiff City is mine and mine alone and regardless of where i come from i chose cardiff city, not for glory, but because it is my fathers team and my grandfathers team and im certainly not a plastic or a glory supporter if i was id be purchasing a season ticket for the liberty stadium. Football is my religion Cardiff City is my religious chapter and ill leave my chapter on pain of death.

Im not on a wind up mate, and I dont consider myself a better fan than anybody else in the world.

Im just stating facts, like black is black, white is white.

You do not support your local team mate.

Your local team is Swansea City Football Club, You support Cardiff City Football Club.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:29 am

tenerife_blu wrote:
MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Going on from the Glasgow Rangers thread I would ask the following.

Given the fact that possibly over 50% of Cardif City Supporters come from outside of Cardiff
and many of these fans ignore/have ignored teams on their doorstep, ie Newport County, Swansea City, Merthyr Tyfil, Hereford United and to some extent Wrexham, do you not think that we are sometimes a tad hypocrtical in brandishing the 'Plastic Fans, Support your Local team argument out.

I was on an away trip back in 2005 where our bus picked up a load of lads in Cwmbran, we saw some Villa Fans in Frankley Services with a Walsall Villa Flag, the lads from Cwmbran proceded to give them a rendition of we support our local team.

Thing is, they dont do they. Walsall is 8 miles from Villa Park, Cwmbran is 18 Miles from Cardiff City Stadim, Newports Ground is 7.3 Miles from Cwmbran, neither set of lads support their local team do they.

Now lets take the argument, the point is, people from Walsall should support Walsall right? but people from Cwmbran are ok to ignore County and follow Cardiff, 11 Miles futher away. Dont tell me? County are shit,

Hypocracy at its finest.

Im not being funny here.

I am very glad that Cardiff City has so many fans from various places, but in the cold light of day, someone from Merthyr who supports Cardiff is just as bad as someone who supports Liverpool from Merthyr are they not?

Lads in Merthyr support Cardiff cos Merthyr are shit, lads in Newport support Cardiff cos Newport are shit, some people in Cardiff support Liverpool cos they reckon Cardiff are shit, every single one of these people turns there back on their local team to support someone higher up the league.

Look at my name bro..... :D I lived in Tenerife for 9 years and then in Canada for a year and a half, I've been supporting the City for 40 years and been a season ticket holder for 15 years+ and still am to this day, I used to fly back for various games when I could but it didnt matter if I couldnt because my tickets were paid for the whole season so I supported the team I love by buying a season ticket every year. I used to go and watch Tenerife, "(my local team :roll: )" everytime they were home unless of course I flew back to watch a City game. For the record, where I lived in Tenerife is approx. 2018 miles from the CCS. In Canada the nearest professional football (soccer) team to me is Toronto FC which is approx 4325 miles away from where I lived so instead I went to watch Calgary Flames ice hockey unless of course I flew back to watch the City when I could and if I couldnt then it didnt matter because the tickets were paid for the whole season. Does that make me plastic??? :o Does that make me a glory supporter??? :? I think not. :lol: My point is....it doesnt matter where you live, it has got more to do with history, ie. who your family support etc etc, your team is your team and thats that. I do understand though what you mean in some of your post. You should be glad and grateful of the support we have for Cardiff no matter where they live or indeed come from. :mrgreen:

I am glad that you support Cardiff mate, I am glad that everyone supports Cardiff.

I am just sick of people saying oh, Liverpool fans, plastic, Man Utd fans, plastsics, Rangers Fans, Plastics, Chelsea Fans Plastis.

When the fact is, over 50% of Cardiff fans dont support their local team and support Cardiff over nearer lower league clubs, tell me Im wrong?

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:33 am

@ WashBlue and Tenerife Blue

There is a fella on this thread who is from Merthyr, he has said he started supporting Cardiff in the same season Merthyr Tyfill FC won the Welsh Cup and beat Atalanta at Pennydarren Park in the European Cup Winners Cup..how does that make sense.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:36 am

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:
tenerife_blu wrote:

Hypocracy at its finest.

Im not being funny here.

I am glad that you support Cardiff mate, I am glad that everyone supports Cardiff.

I am just sick of people saying oh, Liverpool fans, plastic, Man Utd fans, plastsics, Rangers Fans, Plastics, Chelsea Fans Plastis.

When the fact is, over 50% of Cardiff fans dont support their local team and support Cardiff over nearer lower league clubs, tell me Im wrong?

No you are not wrong and neither are you right. There are "proper" fans of Liverpool, Man Utd, Celtic, Chelsea etc etc from many parts of the UK but there are also many "plastic" fans of those teams too and that is the case with Cardiff, you can not do anything about it mate, people will support who they want.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:37 am

JONNY012697 wrote:

Im not on a wind up mate, and I dont consider myself a better fan than anybody else in the world.

Im just stating facts, like black is black, white is white.

You do not support your local team mate.

Your local team is Swansea City Football Club, You support Cardiff City Football Club.

but i dont consider swansea city as my local team geographically swansea are closer to where i live than cardiff i cant argue that point. my local pub has more swansea fans in it than cardiff fans, in my street im the only bluebird who lives there, the guy who lives across the road from me is a huge swansea fan and he winds me up from day to day but its just banter he drinks in the same pub as me and we regularly watch live football over a few pints when our respective teams arent playing and we enjoy some good debates together. This question has been asked by him why i support cardiff and i gave him the same answer as ive given you about it being my family team and he can accept it and he respects me for it, why cant you.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:45 am

quote]

but i dont consider swansea city as my local team geographically swansea are closer to where i live than cardiff i cant argue that point. my local pub has more swansea fans in it than cardiff fans, in my street im the only bluebird who lives there, the guy who lives across the road from me is a huge swansea fan and he winds me up from day to day but its just banter he drinks in the same pub as me and we regularly watch live football over a few pints when our respective teams arent playing and we enjoy some good debates together. This question has been asked by him why i support cardiff and i gave him the same answer as ive given you about it being my family team and he can accept it and he respects me for it, why cant you.[/quote]

I can mate, I do respect you.

I wanted to make a pont and Iv probably gone to far now, i dont mean any offence fella.

I know somebody on these boards who is constantly sniping about people in South Wales supporting Liverpool and the Mancs etc and Im just trying to make the point that the same thing happens in south wales, I dont mean to disrespect you and I appologise for using you to make my point, its a bit naughty.. :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:46 am

Explain to me the following, .. for what reason does somebody from Newport, Merthyr, Neath/Port Talbot, Wrexham or North Wales support Cardiff City Football Club.

If Notingham Forrest under McLaren get into the Premier League and people from Mansfield start following them they woukd be abused for not supporting their local team. Mansfield Town.

What is the difference between that and people from Newport following Cardiff City.

forest already got a good support from mansfield.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:52 am

murphy wrote:

forest already got a good support from mansfield.

I know mate, same as Cardiff get support from Merthyr and Newport,

BUT, you can bet your bottom dolar, if we bumped into Forest Fans in a service station with 'Mansfield Reds' on their flag, our lot would be up and at them with 'why dont you support mansfield' 'we support out local team' etc etc. and the people doing it would probably be from Merthyr, or Cwmbran or a bus from Neath.

As i said in the threads opening post, I honestly watched 10 lads from Cwmbran sing we support our local team at some young kids with a walsall villa flag in frankley services.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:01 am

The op has got this plastic lark all wrong.

The reality is that as someone born and bred in Bridgend, I support my local professional football team.

As for Newport - they are non-league. I can totally understand someone wishing to watch a professional standard of football. And now the gap is closing (slowly) I'd expect the locals of Newport to take more of an interest, especially when the club turns pro (if it isn't already).

However, I simply cannot understand why any Welsh person living in Wales would want to claim to "support" an English club side. What these imbeciles do cannot be classed as support - and even more deluded are the ones who travel to the games involving said clubs (there aren't many, so it's not too bad) when they would be far better off in the pocket by following their local teams who frankly play to a similar if not more exciting standard than the Premiershit teams these days.

That is plasticism in its purest form, especially when the same people will claim to "luvs Wayuls" when the 6 nations come round.

I get what you're saying, but as far as I'm concerned if the money and the support stays in Wales then it is guaranteed to be more beneficial to Welsh football than a bunch of plastics going down the pub in their Gilesports bought Liverpool replica kit. Guaranteed.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:05 am

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:quote]

but i dont consider swansea city as my local team geographically swansea are closer to where i live than cardiff i cant argue that point. my local pub has more swansea fans in it than cardiff fans, in my street im the only bluebird who lives there, the guy who lives across the road from me is a huge swansea fan and he winds me up from day to day but its just banter he drinks in the same pub as me and we regularly watch live football over a few pints when our respective teams arent playing and we enjoy some good debates together. This question has been asked by him why i support cardiff and i gave him the same answer as ive given you about it being my family team and he can accept it and he respects me for it, why cant you.

I can mate, I do respect you.

I wanted to make a pont and Iv probably gone to far now, i dont mean any offence fella.

I know somebody on these boards who is constantly sniping about people in South Wales supporting Liverpool and the Mancs etc and Im just trying to make the point that the same thing happens in south wales, I dont mean to disrespect you and I appologise for using you to make my point, its a bit naughty.. :ayatollah:[/quote]

i accept your apology, i can understand peoples gripes towards welsh people supporting liverpool and man united, beacuse there are decent welsh teams in the area which you could go and watch and i always ask when i see a liverpool or man united why they suport them and i get varied answers some i agree with some i dont, this has led to some heated arguements. Ill give you an example, cardiff were playing bristol city away i couldnt make the game because of work commitments and it wasnt on sky but it was being shown on s4c i asked my local if they would show the game instead of showing whatever premiership game would be on that evening on sky, they agreed so i turned up with my city shirt in tow there was me and 6 other city fans, the swansea supporting locals were there aswell probably to wind me up and put the pressure on me. We were having a good night with alot of banter going on around the bar. At half time two blokes in liverpool shirts walked in announced what are you watching this shit for put the liverpool game on. I piped up saying were already 45 minutes into this game and i had asked if the landlord would show it, at which point the bloke got a bit nasty with me thinking im going to be in a fight soon till two of the jack locals jumped infront of me saying i quote 'let the scum watch his match and you can f**k off somewhere else'. The sentiment about being welsh and following an english team isnt something i agree with but respect id rather see you in a swansea shirt than a liverpool shirt or man united shirt, but each to their own let them support liverpool and man united means more seats available at cardiff stadium for real fans. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:08 am

@Davefromsheffield

Hello mate.

WarrenfromMerthyr summes it up perfectly mate when he proudly stated that he supported Cardiff City since 1987.

Warren from MERTHYR, started supporting a team 20 miles away in the same year that his local team, Merthyr Tydfill had won the Welsh Cup and beaten Atalanta in the European Cup Winners Cup at Pennydaren Park.

Luckily for Cardiff City we can call on such support, but as I said, to them turn round and abuse Andy from Merthyr who posts on here and follows Leeds is a tad hypocritical.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:21 am

i think you've made some good points to be fair,but surely the argument is about supporting your nearest professional league team not a non league side,why would anyone from the Rhondda go to watch Merthyr ?...they're non-league,so that's not really a valid team to offer up as an alternative...as it happens i go to watch ton and gelli amateurs when i don't watch the City,to be honest i enjoy it just as much...

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:38 am

i regard plastics as someone who doesnt go and watch their team
my boss is a big utd fan, you could think he's a prick but he's got a season ticket so i say thats fair

im from barry yet supporting city as theres a certain buzz and a way of life you dont get following the town
and my house is only 6 and a half miles from CCS :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:41 am

I`m 200 miles away and support City.

Moved away from cardiff yrs ago, and they were for 13 yrs my local team, but if i was to support my local team now I`d be going to a Blue Square Premier match week in week out!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:42 am

maybe its all about supporting your local Football League team and in my case also who your Dad decides you should follow .... I live 24 miles from Swansea and 22 miles from Cardiff but luckily my old man saw sense the opt for the Bluebirds :old: :D :old:

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:59 am

Should i stop supporting cardiff becouse i live in dublin?
Should i have stopped watching port talbot when i moved to cardiff?
Should i become an inbred rent boy gypo tw*t just becouse i was brought up in port talbot?

I support cardiff becouse i want to and the reason im not plastic is becouse i spend a poxy fortune when i can afford to attend games as do the lads who travel from london and every other far flung outpost of blue.

Does that make the exiles better fans than the locals?
Of course not
we are cardiff
no matter where we happen to be living

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:20 am

Warren of Merthyr wrote:No thats Bollox !!! ive supported Cardiff Since 86-87 during the 3rd and 4th division days so plastic fans i dont think so !!! :ayatollah: Hereford utd ??? jeeez thats a bit extrme aint it and even more extreme in supporting the Jacks and Newport

Are you winding me up mate,

WARREN FROM MERTHYR, started supporting Cardiff in 86-87!

Merthyr Tydfill won the Welsh Cup in in 1987 and played in the European Cup Winners Cup beating Atalanta at in Merthyr yet you supported Cardiff and your from Merthyr?

Chaos.

Actually Merthyr Born raised in Treharris. Living in Merthyr now tho, My father supported Cardiff all his life and started taken me down there from a young age during the Jimmy Gilligan days week in week out. Got some great memorys following the mighty Cardiff City over the years so No plastic supporter here its just i was born with Blue Blood in me end of. Thanks for the history lesson however i already know that Merthyr won the welsh cup and yes they played Atalanta. And ill never forget either that Merthyr beat Cardiff 4-1 and who did i support CARDIFF CITY WHY BECAUSE CARDIFF CITY WHERE MY SIDE AT A YOUNG AGE. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: however i still hope Merthyr will do well and hopefully one day get back into the conferance or higher but Cardiff City will always be the number 1 football side in Wales in my heart :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: infact it could have been 1985 my old man started taken me down.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:30 am

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:@ WashBlue and Tenerife Blue

There is a fella on this thread who is from Merthyr, he has said he started supporting Cardiff in the same season Merthyr Tyfill FC won the Welsh Cup and beat Atalanta at Pennydarren Park in the European Cup Winners Cup..how does that make sense.

Because i was a Young nipper you tit :lol: :ayatollah: thats theeeee side i supported and guess what im proud as punch my father got me following the mighty Bluebirds from a young age. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: