Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: PLASTIC FANS/GLORY SUPPORTERS/NOT SUPPORTING YOUR LOCAL TEA

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:59 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:
MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Going on from the Glasgow Rangers thread I would ask the following.

Given the fact that possibly over 50% of Cardif City Supporters come from outside of Cardiff
and many of these fans ignore/have ignored teams on their doorstep, ie Newport County, Swansea City, Merthyr Tyfil, Hereford United and to some extent Wrexham, do you not think that we are sometimes a tad hypocrtical in brandishing the 'Plastic Fans, Support your Local team argument out.

I was on an away trip back in 2005 where our bus picked up a load of lads in Cwmbran, we saw some Villa Fans in Frankley Services with a Walsall Villa Flag, the lads from Cwmbran proceded to give them a rendition of we support our local team.

Thing is, they dont do they. Walsall is 8 miles from Villa Park, Cwmbran is 18 Miles from Cardiff City Stadim, Newports Ground is 7.3 Miles from Cwmbran, neither set of lads support their local team do they.

Now lets take the argument, the point is, people from Walsall should support Walsall right? but people from Cwmbran are ok to ignore County and follow Cardiff, 11 Miles futher away. Dont tell me? County are shit,

Hypocracy at its finest.

Im not being funny here.

I am very glad that Cardiff City has so many fans from various places, but in the cold light of day, someone from Merthyr who supports Cardiff is just as bad as someone who supports Liverpool from Merthyr are they not?

Lads in Merthyr support Cardiff cos Merthyr are shit, lads in Newport support Cardiff cos Newport are shit, some people in Cardiff support Liverpool cos they reckon Cardiff are shit, every single one of these people turns there back on their local team to support someone higher up the league.

And you support Rangers. Why?

I support Cardiff City mate, I was born in Cardiff, my Grandfather and Father were born in Glasgow, I was taken to Ibrox when I was 5, Iv been going to NP/CCS since 1989. I follow Rangers through Family History.

Why does a kid from Porthcawl, who's father is from Porthcawl, and Uncle is from Porthcawl who have no ties to Cardiff, support Cardiff over Swansea, answers on a postcard.

So whats with the Rangers shit then ? Or are you changing your name to Gascoine from the halfway line ? :lol: :lol:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:01 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:
MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Going on from the Glasgow Rangers thread I would ask the following.

Given the fact that possibly over 50% of Cardif City Supporters come from outside of Cardiff
and many of these fans ignore/have ignored teams on their doorstep, ie Newport County, Swansea City, Merthyr Tyfil, Hereford United and to some extent Wrexham, do you not think that we are sometimes a tad hypocrtical in brandishing the 'Plastic Fans, Support your Local team argument out.

I was on an away trip back in 2005 where our bus picked up a load of lads in Cwmbran, we saw some Villa Fans in Frankley Services with a Walsall Villa Flag, the lads from Cwmbran proceded to give them a rendition of we support our local team.

Thing is, they dont do they. Walsall is 8 miles from Villa Park, Cwmbran is 18 Miles from Cardiff City Stadim, Newports Ground is 7.3 Miles from Cwmbran, neither set of lads support their local team do they.

Now lets take the argument, the point is, people from Walsall should support Walsall right? but people from Cwmbran are ok to ignore County and follow Cardiff, 11 Miles futher away. Dont tell me? County are shit,

Hypocracy at its finest.

Im not being funny here.

I am very glad that Cardiff City has so many fans from various places, but in the cold light of day, someone from Merthyr who supports Cardiff is just as bad as someone who supports Liverpool from Merthyr are they not?

Lads in Merthyr support Cardiff cos Merthyr are shit, lads in Newport support Cardiff cos Newport are shit, some people in Cardiff support Liverpool cos they reckon Cardiff are shit, every single one of these people turns there back on their local team to support someone higher up the league.

I support Cardiff City mate, I was born in Cardiff, my Grandfather and Father were born in Glasgow, I was taken to Ibrox when I was 5, Iv been going to NP/CCS since 1989. I follow Rangers through Family History.

Why does a kid from Porthcawl, who's father is from Porthcawl, and Uncle is from Porthcawl who have no ties to Cardiff, support Cardiff over Swansea, answers on a postcard.

The only answer i can give you is, What the f**k's it got to do with you why he supports who he supports.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:08 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:

Hypocracy at its finest.

Im not being funny here.

and for the record my father and uncle are originally from bridgend and there is a large support for the bluebirds but me and my father live in porthcawl now and if we want to travel 22 miles to watch a team weve supported for 3 generations we will and i wont have you mocking my love for the city because of distances between swansea and cardiff because you can start having a go at our neath and port talbot support before you start hitting porthcawl. And im not having a go at my brothers from neath and port talbot but thats where your aiming your arguement.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:11 pm

@Buckleys.

Absolutely nout.

Just like it has absolutely nout to do with anyone why someone from Lisvane supports Chelsea.

Yet they are given grief on these messageboards but someone from Newport who supports Cardiff is given free reign.

As Fred Elliott would say, 'Its Hypocracy, I say, Its Hypocracy.. :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:15 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:

Hypocracy at its finest.

Im not being funny here.

The greater likelihood of success, Cardiff is the bigger club from the bigger city. Same with the Neath & Port Talbot based Cardiff fans. They follow Cardiff knowing or thinking that at least 90% of the time Cardiff will finish above Swansea. Some will be confused as f*ck now what with Swansea's promotion because they sure as hell didn't start supporting Cardiff to support "Wales' second team"

Also, when you are told every day of your life through various ways that one of anything is somehow more important than another then some people will begin to buy into it.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:20 pm

and for the record my father and uncle are originally from bridgend and there is a large support for the bluebirds but me and my father live in porthcawl now and if we want to travel 22 miles to watch a team weve supported for 3 generations we will and i wont have you mocking my love for the city because of distances between swansea and cardiff because you can start having a go at our neath and port talbot support before you start hitting porthcawl. And im not having a go at my brothers from neath and port talbot but thats where your aiming your arguement.[/quote]

@John

Sorry fella, I dont mean any offence. Im just trying to be unbiased as I am sick to death of some of our fans taking the moral high ground when it come to people from South Wales supporting teams such as Liverpool, Man Utd etc or calling fans from Walsall who support Villa, Doncaster who support Leeds, or Barnet who support Arsenal as glory supporters when a MASSIVE CHUNK of our support overlook their local sides, NEWPORT COUNTY, SWANSEA CITY, MERTHYR TYDFIL, HERFORD UTD and to some extent Wrexham to support us.

It is pure hypocracy.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:23 pm

No just fans from South Wales who claim to support Celtic or Rangers

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:25 pm

SCFC10 wrote:The greater likelihood of success, Cardiff is the bigger club from the bigger city. Same with the Neath & Port Talbot based Cardiff fans. They follow Cardiff knowing or thinking that at least 90% of the time Cardiff will finish above Swansea. Some will be confused as f*ck now what with Swansea's promotion because they sure as hell didn't start supporting Cardiff to support "Wales' second team"

Also, when you are told every day of your life through various ways that one of anything is somehow more important than another then some people will begin to buy into it.

and i hate to blow your arguement out of the water SCFC10 but cardiff will always be my team, if i wanted to support swansea i would have ive always been a strong willed person but as a kid i wanted to watch football with my family and follow my families team and that was my decision no one elses and ill wish you all the luck in the world but if swansea end up playing champions league football and cardiff are in the conference it will still be cardiff. You make your choices in life and if i start backing a losing horse so be it my heart will always be in cardiff ive never been a turncoat and dont plan on starting now. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:26 pm

@SCFC10

It is amazing that if youngsters from Caerphily, Blackwood, Merthyr start supporting the Swans they will get Royaly abused.

Even more so if a bunch of lads from lets say... Tongwynlais hop down the M4 and start supporting Swansea.

Yet is OK for people to come from Maseteg and watch Cardiff, we welcome our brothers from Neath and Port Talbot, from Newport and Abergaveny who should all be following other League sides.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:27 pm

Hypocracy at its finest.

Im not being funny here.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:30 pm

No thats Bollox !!! ive supported Cardiff Since 86-87 during the 3rd and 4th division days so plastic fans i dont think so !!! :ayatollah: Hereford utd ??? jeeez thats a bit extrme aint it and even more extreme in supporting the Jacks and Newport

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:36 pm

So I should support Penarth AFC? No thanks...

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Warren of Merthyr wrote:No thats Bollox !!! ive supported Cardiff Since 86-87 during the 3rd and 4th division days so plastic fans i dont think so !!! :ayatollah: Hereford utd ??? jeeez thats a bit extrme aint it and even more extreme in supporting the Jacks and Newport

Are you winding me up mate,

WARREN FROM MERTHYR, started supporting Cardiff in 86-87!

Merthyr Tydfill won the Welsh Cup in in 1987 and played in the European Cup Winners Cup beating Atalanta at in Merthyr yet you supported Cardiff and your from Merthyr?

Chaos.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:38 pm

ive supported city since 1972 leeds in fa cup if city reiled on support from cardiff only prob get about 8 or9 thou every week so any supporter from any where wellcome i live nearer newport than cardiff cant stand the townies so cardiff better football better people

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Xentol wrote:So I should support Penarth AFC? No thanks...

Not at all mate.

But if you were from Newport I might think you would support Newport County, if you were from Neath it would be fair to say you might follow Swansea, if you were from North Wales it might be fair to say you would follow Wrexham over Cardiff and if you were from Abergaveny surely Hereford or Newport would be your local side.

The point is, loads of our fans support Cardiff over their nearest team, just like loads of people in south east wales support Man U and Liverpool over Cardiff.

All in the same category I would say>?

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:50 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:OK in a nutshell if you support
Chelsea Liverpool Arsenal Rangers Celtic Man ufuckingunited Man City or the Jacks since the end of the season you are officially a f*cking
PLASTIC !!!!

OR... before the end of this the season just gone you were from

Port Talbot, Neath, Porthcawl, Newport, Pontypool, Blackwood, Gwent, Aberdare, The Rhondda, Upper Rhymney Valley, Merthyr, Merthyr Valley, Abergaveny, North Wales, Maesteg, Usk, Monmouth and were a Cardiff fan you were a Glory Supporter???

you missed out bridgend...but thats cause we're the true cardiff fans :D

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:53 pm

should rhondda bluebirds support ton pentre afc :?

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:53 pm

Definition of a plastic supporter IMO is..A person who wears the shirt, talks the talk, but fails to walk the walk, they watch all their football from their armchair or from the pub, they never actually go to see their team play live..not even once, but they may well have had an oficial tour of the ground, they also call themselves Mancs or Scousers yet they may live in and talk like Cardiffians or Bristolians etc depending on where they reside and in the case of locals around here they're just as likely to support their local egg team when the 5 nations come around. If someone from Newport goes to see Liverpool play on a regular/semi regular basis then IMO they're not plastics, they pin their allegience to Liverpool but back it up by attending matches at Anfield, they're proper fans, we may disagree with their choice of team but they put their money where their mouth is. Plastics rarely attend any live games, like I said they talk the talk but fall flat on their faces when questioned about walking the walk. Blooooooooobirds!!

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:54 pm

CF64 BLUE wrote:Definition of a plastic supporter IMO is..A person who wears the shirt, talks the talk, but fails to walk the walk, they watch all their football from their armchair or from the pub, they never actually go to see their team play live..not even once, but they may well have had an oficial tour of the ground, they also call themselves Mancs or Scousers yet they may live in and talk like Cardiffians or Bristolians etc depending on where they reside and in the case of locals around here they're just as likely to support their local egg team when the 5 nations come around. If someone from Newport goes to see Liverpool play on a regular/semi regular basis then IMO they're not plastics, they pin their allegience to Liverpool but back it up by attending matches at Anfield, they're proper fans, we may disagree with their choice of team but they put their money where their mouth is. Plastics rarely attend any live games, like I said they talk the talk but fall flat on their faces when questioned about walking the walk. Blooooooooobirds!!

there is a some genuine fans who dont make it to games due the financial problems. Was my excuse for a bit :D

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:56 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:OK in a nutshell if you support
Chelsea Liverpool Arsenal Rangers Celtic Man ufuckingunited Man City or the Jacks since the end of the season you are officially a f*cking
PLASTIC !!!!

Port Talbot, Neath, Porthcawl, Newport, Pontypool, Blackwood, Gwent, Aberdare, The Rhondda, Upper Rhymney Valley, Merthyr, Merthyr Valley, Abergaveny, North Wales, Maesteg, Usk, Monmouth and were a Cardiff fan you were a Glory Supporter???

you missed out bridgend...but thats cause we're the true cardiff fans :D

Bridgend is 4 miles closer to CCS than the Liberty Bruv.. ;)

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:57 pm

CF64 BLUE wrote:Definition of a plastic supporter IMO is..A person who wears the shirt, talks the talk, but fails to walk the walk, they watch all their football from their armchair or from the pub, they never actually go to see their team play live..not even once, but they may well have had an oficial tour of the ground, they also call themselves Mancs or Scousers yet they may live in and talk like Cardiffians or Bristolians etc depending on where they reside and in the case of locals around here they're just as likely to support their local egg team when the 5 nations come around. If someone from Newport goes to see Liverpool play on a regular/semi regular basis then IMO they're not plastics, they pin their allegience to Liverpool but back it up by attending matches at Anfield, they're proper fans, we may disagree with their choice of team but they put their money where their mouth is. Plastics rarely attend any live games, like I said they talk the talk but fall flat on their faces when questioned about walking the walk. Blooooooooobirds!!

well said! theres a lot of people on here who think a plastic is someone living outside of their teams area.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:58 pm

[quote="MillarFromTheHalfWayLineChelsea Liverpool Arsenal Rangers Celtic Man ufuckingunited Man City or the Jacks since the end of the season you are officially a f*cking
PLASTIC !!!![/quote]

Port Talbot, Neath, Porthcawl, Newport, Pontypool, Blackwood, Gwent, Aberdare, The Rhondda, Upper Rhymney Valley, Merthyr, Merthyr Valley, Abergaveny, North Wales, Maesteg, Usk, Monmouth and were a Cardiff fan you were a Glory Supporter?you missed out bridgend...but thats cause we're the true cardiff fans :D[/quote]

Bridgend is 4 miles closer to CCS than the Liberty Bruv.. ;)[/quote]

is it? Bridgend is actually 1mile closer to s*****ea than cardiff,

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:03 pm

murphy wrote:should rhondda bluebirds support ton pentre afc :?

No mate but you could argue they should have supported Merthyr Tydfill or if your over 100, Aberdare Athletic.

Only as recently as the 1990's were Merthyr only ONE division below Cardiff yet the locals blanked them, and now most of these same people go down to Cardiff every week.

As recently as 2005 Methyr pulled in over 3,000 for an FA Cup tie so the potential was there.

As it happens, when Sam Hammam came on board and Cardiff went up the Leagues, all these people blanked Merthyr and Newport and to an extent Swansea and prefered to travel extra miles to watch Cardiff.

That my friend is what is knows as Glory Supporting.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:06 pm

No mate but you could argue they should have supported Merthyr Tydfill or if your over 100, Aberdare Athletic.

Only as recently as the 1990's were Merthyr only ONE division below Cardiff yet the locals blanked them, and now most of these same people go down to Cardiff every week.

As recently as 2005 Methyr pulled in over 3,000 for an FA Cup tie so the potential was there.

As it happens, when Sam Hammam came on board and Cardiff went up the Leagues, all these people blanked Merthyr and Newport and to an extent Swansea and prefered to travel extra miles to watch Cardiff.

fine ill go support merthyr than shall i? :lol:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:11 pm

i'm geographicilily a bit closer to cardiff then merthyr so i support my local team :D
Last edited by murphy on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:11 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:

fine ill go support merthyr than shall i? :lol:

Your alright, Merthyr is further from Bridgend than CCS, your ok by 1 mile :lol: :lol:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:23 pm

Those people (who just happen to live away from Cardiff are NOT plastics nor should they be seen as....

It's the people who only turn up on sunny days, or for 'big' games, or when City are on a roll and/or leave early at EVERY game they attend (shambles against Middlesbrough excepted :lol: ) and then moan that they've wasted their money or want their season tickets refunded or KNEW it would all fall apart who are the real 'plastics'

Summertime City Fans one and all.... :lol: :lol:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:35 pm

To put people in South Wales who support Cardiff in the same bracket as those from South Wales who support the big premiership clubs is insulting.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:45 pm

Wash DC Blue wrote:To put people in South Wales who support Cardiff in the same bracket as those from South Wales who support the big premiership clubs is insulting.

But they all ATTEND games just support different teams. For me there's only one team "The Blooooobirds" but I respect another proper fan who by his own choice supports a big 5 team, if he goes to games rather than watch on telly then I have no problem with him and he's certainly not a plastic.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:50 pm

So to summarise.

If you are from Merthyr, Newport, Gwent Valleys, Upper Rhymney Valley, Abergaveny, Usk, Porthcawl, North Wales, Neath, Port Talbot, Maesteg, Pontpool, The Rhondda, Aberdare, Abercynon, Mountain Ash, Nelson, or anywhere north of Fiddlers Elbow you are a Glory supporter because you chose to support Cardiff City Football Club over, delete as applicable.

Merthyr Tydfil, Newport County, Swansea City, Hereford United, Wrexham.

Same as someone from Walsall, Reditch, Hednesdord, Shrewsbury, Telford, Wednesbury, Willenhall, Smethwick
Dudley, Brierly Hill, Oldbury, Hilltop, Halesownen, Cannock would be a Glory Supporter for supporting for suporting Aston Villa over delete as applicable

WBA, Wolves, Shrewsbury Town, AFC Telford, Walsall.