Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

PLASTIC FANS/GLORY SUPPORTERS/NOT SUPPORTING YOUR LOCAL TEA

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:25 pm

Going on from the Glasgow Rangers thread I would ask the following.

Given the fact that possibly over 50% of Cardif City Supporters come from outside of Cardiff
and many of these fans ignore/have ignored teams on their doorstep, ie Newport County, Swansea City, Merthyr Tyfil, Hereford United and to some extent Wrexham, do you not think that we are sometimes a tad hypocrtical in brandishing the 'Plastic Fans, Support your Local team argument out.

I was on an away trip back in 2005 where our bus picked up a load of lads in Cwmbran, we saw some Villa Fans in Frankley Services with a Walsall Villa Flag, the lads from Cwmbran proceded to give them a rendition of we support our local team.

Thing is, they dont do they. Walsall is 8 miles from Villa Park, Cwmbran is 18 Miles from Cardiff City Stadim, Newports Ground is 7.3 Miles from Cwmbran, neither set of lads support their local team do they.

Now lets take the argument, the point is, people from Walsall should support Walsall right? but people from Cwmbran are ok to ignore County and follow Cardiff, 11 Miles futher away. Dont tell me? County are shit,

Hypocracy at its finest.

Im not being funny here.

I am very glad that Cardiff City has so many fans from various places, but in the cold light of day, someone from Merthyr who supports Cardiff is just as bad as someone who supports Liverpool from Merthyr are they not?

Lads in Merthyr support Cardiff cos Merthyr are shit, lads in Newport support Cardiff cos Newport are shit, some people in Cardiff support Liverpool cos they reckon Cardiff are shit, every single one of these people turns there back on their local team to support someone higher up the league.

Re: PLASTIC FANS/GLORY SUPPORTERS/NOT SUPPORTING YOUR LOCAL TEA

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:37 pm

i live 40 miles from Cardiff in a rural area but i support city because i love everything about Cardiff City and have done for 20 odd years.I am a season ticket holder and now my son is too.We go away on as many away trips as possible and have spent a lot of money doing so.But you see i dont care about the money i care about the club.Rain,shine,hot,cold win or lose myself and my son are there and ALWAYS will be.That i think takes me out of the so called "plastics fans" sector. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:41 pm

troobloo wrote:i live 40 miles from Cardiff in a rural area but i support city because i love everything about Cardiff City and have done for 20 odd years.I am a season ticket holder and now my son is too.We go away on as many away trips as possible and have spent a lot of money doing so.But you see i dont care about the money i care about the club.Rain,shine,hot,cold win or lose myself and my son are there and ALWAYS will be.That i think takes me out of the so called "plastics fans" sector. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Indeed it does

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:41 pm

i dont care where people live, if they watch a team regular their proper fans.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:42 pm

troobloo wrote:i live 40 miles from Cardiff in a rural area but i support city because i love everything about Cardiff City and have done for 20 odd years.I am a season ticket holder and now my son is too.We go away on as many away trips as possible and have spent a lot of money doing so.But you see i dont care about the money i care about the club.Rain,shine,hot,cold win or lose myself and my son are there and ALWAYS will be.That i think takes me out of the so called "plastics fans" sector. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Hello mate, its does take you out of the plastics yeah. Im glad you support Cardiff mate.

Genuine question though, are you nearer to Merthyr/Newport/Hereford and if so how come you dont follow them.

Also, if you do live nearer to any of those teams above, would you agree that it would be hypocritical for you to have a go at a Villa Fan from Walsall or a Leeds fan from Doncaster.. :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Look we all have our reasons for supporting our teams but what i dont get and never will is those that have to support either Celtic or Rangers. Most of these people have never been to Glasgow or are neither Catholic or Protestant. Just want to say they support either team and claim to be passionate about them. So plastic so full of Shit, give me Blackswan any day at least he only supports one team.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:48 pm

I understand where your coming from mate and to answer your question Merthyr is closer but since i was a kid Cardiff City have been(in my opinion) the only welsh team to support.That is a truthful and genuine answer to your question.I will always be there with my little pick and shovel. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:49 pm

Was under the impression that Cwmbran people hate Newport people though? So that would rule them out of supporting Cunty.

Also, where in Cardiff do you live Millar?

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:49 pm

I think it's a matter of opinion :? People from the valleys support Cardiff because it's in there family and fans from the valleys don't have a team in there town/county :ayatollah: Another thing is the majority of us dont generally like the City of Newport :lol: 99% of us if given the choice between Newport and Cardiff (both approximately the same distance away) if we were both in the same league would choose Cardiff out of a general love of the City compared to Newport :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:50 pm

wot about people who live across the other side of the world?

just a thought, should they now support perth glory etc...

i dont think all fans pick their team on success...

while i was young and in school i could quite easily have supported utd or liverpool like the rest of the kids but chose cardiff as my grandad brought me down to watch a few games... i got hooked and have followed ever since... i live about 12 miles from newport and 18 miles from cardiff but it never ever entered my mind to go and watch a newport game...

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Are you so cruel that you'd insist on everyone from carmarthen being Swansea fans, havent we got enough problems.

Insisting on everyone in west wales being swansea fans would make you worse than Robert Mugabe ;)

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:54 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Was under the impression that Cwmbran people hate Newport people though? So that would rule them out of supporting Cunty.

No idea one the first part, on the second part

Adamstown at the moment, you?

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:55 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:
tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Was under the impression that Cwmbran people hate Newport people though? So that would rule them out of supporting Cunty.

I'm just trying to work out is there a football team closer to you than City ;)

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:57 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:

I'm just trying to work out is there a football team closer to you than City ;)

;) :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:59 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:wot about people who live across the other side of the world?

while i was young and in school i could quite easily have supported utd or liverpool like the rest of the kids but chose cardiff as my grandad brought me down to watch a few games... i got hooked and have followed ever since... i live about 12 miles from newport and 18 miles from cardiff but it never ever entered my mind to go and watch a newport game...

Why did it never enter your head to watch Newport who are 6 miles closer, was it because Cardiff were in the higher divisions? are you are glory supporter.. :lol: only messing about fella, i hope you get my point though.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:01 pm

troobloo wrote:I understand where your coming from mate and to answer your question Merthyr is closer but since i was a kid Cardiff City have been(in my opinion) the only welsh team to support.That is a truthful and genuine answer to your question.I will always be there with my little pick and shovel. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:ayatollah:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:01 pm

i think its a case of whatever is in your blood im from porthcawl have never gone to see porthcawl town fc and have no interest in seeing them either lol. I support Cardiff City because my father does and my uncle does and my cousin does, its a family thing and our family club my kids god willing I have them will support Cardiff or atleast have a soft spot for them if they choose to follow a different team.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:04 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:wot about people who live across the other side of the world?

Why did it never enter your head to watch Newport who are 6 miles closer, was it because Cardiff were in the higher divisions? are you are glory supporter.. :lol: only messing about fella, i hope you get my point though.

of course i get your point... and it will be proved this season with swansea...

to be honest ive never really liked newport... i drove an extra 15 miles to abergavenny just so my little one wasnt born in the gwent..

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:11 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:i think its a case of whatever is in your blood im from porthcawl have never gone to see porthcawl town fc and have no interest in seeing them either lol. I support Cardiff City because my father does and my uncle does and my cousin does, its a family thing and our family club my kids god willing I have them will support Cardiff or atleast have a soft spot for them if they choose to follow a different team.

So taking aside Porthcawl town you chose to ignore your nearest proffesional side (Swansea) to follow Cardiff.

Were Cardiff in a higher League at the time mate? Genuine question, seems a bit mad to travel 20 miles extra a game, 480 miles extra a season to watch Cardiff.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:14 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Going on from the Glasgow Rangers thread I would ask the following.

Lads in Merthyr support Cardiff cos Merthyr are shit, lads in Newport support Cardiff cos Newport are shit, some people in Cardiff support Liverpool cos they reckon Cardiff are shit, every single one of these people turns there back on their local team to support someone higher up the league.

Glasgow Rangers cannot be put into the the same scum league as Newport, possibly Wimbledon, old and new. They are scum, totally abhorent scum end of. The Glasgow Celtic ain't much either, bigger, better perhaps but does anyone give a shite?

I'm Cardiff, one club, one football life. I couldn't give a lefties arse about the rest.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:14 pm

I've seen Bridgend Town play once :D :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:29 pm

It's usually a family thing. My dad took me down to watch the City when I was 9 and I've now been a season ticket holder for four years. Also like someone said earlier, if you go to games regulary then you're a proper fan, regardless of where you live. I don't believe it's right to "support" clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea etc just because they're the best and have no family connection with that club what so ever. You can't call yourself a "supporter" if you don't go to games without a reason. :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:34 pm

OK in a nutshell if you support
Chelsea Liverpool Arsenal Rangers Celtic Man ufuckingunited Man City or the Jacks since the end of the season you are officially a f*cking
PLASTIC !!!!

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:37 pm

JonCCFC wrote:It's usually a family thing. My dad took me down to watch the City when I was 9 and I've now been a season ticket holder for four years. Also like someone said earlier, if you go to games regulary then you're a proper fan, regardless of where you live. I don't believe it's right to "support" clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea etc just because they're the best and have no family connection with that club what so ever. You can't call yourself a "supporter" if you don't go to games without a reason. :ayatollah:

I agree

But the problem is, some of our fans are a bit hypocritical realy.

If your from Newport and you go in the Kop Shop and have a Season Ticket at Anfield you called a bit of a W*nker.

But if your from Newport and you support Cardiff, well, thats ok like.

Both as bad as eachother IMO.

Niether support their local team and both support a team in a higher division. For what reason other than to say their shit would someone from Newport have to support Cardiff, in the same way someone from Cardiff could now turn round and say Cardiff are shit I support Swansea. The person from Cardiff who supports Swansea would be abused and called a glory supporter and the person who supports Cardiff from Newport is accepted, Hypocracy at its best im sure you will agree.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:42 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:OK in a nutshell if you support
Chelsea Liverpool Arsenal Rangers Celtic Man ufuckingunited Man City or the Jacks since the end of the season you are officially a f*cking
PLASTIC !!!!

OR... before the end of this the season just gone you were from

Port Talbot, Neath, Porthcawl, Newport, Pontypool, Blackwood, Gwent, Aberdare, The Rhondda, Upper Rhymney Valley, Merthyr, Merthyr Valley, Abergaveny, North Wales, Maesteg, Usk, Monmouth and were a Cardiff fan you were a Glory Supporter???

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:47 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:OK in a nutshell if you support
PLASTIC !!!!

OR... before the end of this the season just gone you were from

Port Talbot, Neath, Porthcawl, Newport, Pontypool, Blackwood, Gwent, Aberdare, The Rhondda, Upper Rhymney Valley, Merthyr, Merthyr Valley, Abergaveny, North Wales, Maesteg, Usk, Monmouth and were a Cardiff fan you were a Glory Supporter???

BETTER BE A GLORY SUPPORTER THAN A PLASTIC :D

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:49 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Going on from the Glasgow Rangers thread I would ask the following.

Given the fact that possibly over 50% of Cardif City Supporters come from outside of Cardiff
and many of these fans ignore/have ignored teams on their doorstep, ie Newport County, Swansea City, Merthyr Tyfil, Hereford United and to some extent Wrexham, do you not think that we are sometimes a tad hypocrtical in brandishing the 'Plastic Fans, Support your Local team argument out.

I was on an away trip back in 2005 where our bus picked up a load of lads in Cwmbran, we saw some Villa Fans in Frankley Services with a Walsall Villa Flag, the lads from Cwmbran proceded to give them a rendition of we support our local team.

Thing is, they dont do they. Walsall is 8 miles from Villa Park, Cwmbran is 18 Miles from Cardiff City Stadim, Newports Ground is 7.3 Miles from Cwmbran, neither set of lads support their local team do they.

Now lets take the argument, the point is, people from Walsall should support Walsall right? but people from Cwmbran are ok to ignore County and follow Cardiff, 11 Miles futher away. Dont tell me? County are shit,

Hypocracy at its finest.

Im not being funny here.

I am very glad that Cardiff City has so many fans from various places, but in the cold light of day, someone from Merthyr who supports Cardiff is just as bad as someone who supports Liverpool from Merthyr are they not?

And you support Rangers. Why?

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:50 pm

Top post pal. :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:56 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:

Hypocracy at its finest.

Im not being funny here.

And you support Rangers. Why?

I support Cardiff City mate, I was born in Cardiff, my Grandfather and Father were born in Glasgow, I was taken to Ibrox when I was 5, Iv been going to NP/CCS since 1989. I follow Rangers through Family History.

Why does a kid from Porthcawl, who's father is from Porthcawl, and Uncle is from Porthcawl who have no ties to Cardiff, support Cardiff over Swansea, answers on a postcard.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:57 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:i think its a case of whatever is in your blood im from porthcawl have never gone to see porthcawl town fc and have no interest in seeing them either lol. I support Cardiff City because my father does and my uncle does and my cousin does, its a family thing and our family club my kids god willing I have them will support Cardiff or atleast have a soft spot for them if they choose to follow a different team.

So taking aside Porthcawl town you chose to ignore your nearest proffesional side (Swansea) to follow Cardiff.

Were Cardiff in a higher League at the time mate? Genuine question, seems a bit mad to travel 20 miles extra a game, 480 miles extra a season to watch Cardiff.

lol yes cardiff were in a higher league at the time but my father has always supported cardiff, if i had chosen to support swansea i dont think he would have said anything, just happy that i was following a welsh team rather than the likes of man united. But my dad took me to ninian park as a kid and thats where my heart was, now its at the ccs.