Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

New fan looking back over first season of being hooked

Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:20 am

First of all I’ve got to say thanks to Annis (if you fund this out of your own pocket then good on you!?), and Carl (for taking up his own time in genuinely trying to keep others informed!) and everyone else for contributing and keeping me entertained. Last season was my first full season supporting and I’ve got to be fair this forum filled in the gaps between games and helped keep my interest and get me hooked! I honestly think the club may have missed a trick in not setting something similar(ish) up themselves. Maybe you were one step ahead.

Was never a massive football fan growing up and my dad wouldn’t have known one if it fell out of his ass! And my mates who did go down had season tickets with their families and I’ll be honest back then it was probably a daunting prospect going down on my own. It’s obvious now at the CCS that they have done loads to make it more accessible and to appeal to a wider fan base. And the same goes for all the marketing and web site facilities etc The downside obviously (from reading on here) has been the impact on the atmosphere. And I’ve got to be fair it was shocking for most of the season and not at all what I had expected - but it got much better towards the end so I hope it starts off like that next season! I reckon the singing stands are a good idea and will encourage people to sing. One question tho which might be a stupid one - if you go down there on your own and you don’t know the songs how are you going to join in? It’s f***ing hard making out the words of a crowd like that! Is there a site you can access for all the words etc? Might be one way of encouraging people to get involved…. Just a thought.

Not been to an away match yet but looking forward to doing so next season (starting with the first game of the season I hope!). I bet the last season has brought a lot of ‘glory supporters’ who are in the same boat as me. But I don’t think you can have premiership football without the fair-weather support element. It’s inevitable and if anything I think you might need it to survive. It’s surely a strong indicator of achieving the status too. So it’s probably best just to embrace them (if it ain’t too hard to stomach!)
I reckon I will always have more important things to me than football and with that in mind I reckon people should be cautious about ranking new fans based on how much commitment they can afford the club (least of all financially) or you could risk alienating them before they reach their peak! Got to be fair tho this forum really welcomes new supporters and opinions, I know I wouldn’t be writing this if it didn’t.

On that note I reckon I consider myself a supporter for a season now and have wondered whether I would still be as interested if the team were to get relegated to division two!? And in all honesty………….who knows? I just hope I’ve caught enough of a buzz to ride out the ups and downs!

I agree big time with (what I’ve perceived to be) the consensus on here that the team lacked discipline and raw motivation to win, and that that on the surface there seemed to be signs of ingrained cultural issues (players and management). I can’t believe how a player like Jay could go down so easily all the time, and how Keinan could blatantly foul people in the box (just examples). And the whole thing about going out on the piss before games etc I would have been happier with them getting away with it wasn’t for the fact that they just looked so disinterested at times on the pitch! I wouldn’t get away with acting like that in my work and with the money they are on I don’t see how they aren’t run a like military unit!

I reckon if you told all the players at the top top clubs in the world that they couldn’t drink during the season I bet that most players would say ‘no problem‘, mostly either because a) they drink a negligible amount or b) they are total professionals and will do what’s required. I know it’s an extreme example but I could see it going that way in the future.
Personally I would love to see CCFC be known for having the most disciplined players on and off the pitch, and I bet you the club would reap the rewards through improved performances.

I reckon Craig Bellamy has done something really great in coming here and that in a world dominated by money I think he has set an example to all others in his profession and even though yes I know he is still paid loads I think he has done / doing a pretty noble thing (as well as his work I saw someone post about Sierra Leone).

I properly enjoyed last season and I’m going to show my lack of years as a supporter now by saying that I think I’m actually looking forward to another year in the championship more than I think I would have done if we were in the PL. No funny smells from the Malaysians so far and I’ve got to be fair Mr Mackay did a good interview. Not got loads else to assess him on but I hope it was a great appointment.

Personally for me the top priority for next season would be improving the discipline and attacking spirit in the play. Hopefully with the new manager and possibly one or two more home-grown talents eg Earnie / Gabbidon, there will naturally become a new air of optimism and collective sense of purpose in the camp.

And more specifically team wise (in no particular order):

Getting a new winger: Bellamy is the only player we have who runs forward, without his head down! (ref to Chris Burke).

New left back: I thought Lee Naylor was a clear weak link for most of the season.

Sorting midfield out: Someone who can distribute the ball and win it back from the opposition much quicker.

Sorting strikers out: As currently we only really have the big man!?

Probably a lot to ask but the final comments I will make are on loan signings.
I feel like we took out too many loans and defaulted on them. It was defo a big gamble and it didn’t come off. I think this was most obviously highlighted in the case of JLS. You just have to consider what their motives are? How much loyalty do they have? Do they have long-term plans with the club? If the answer to the latter is no, then of course (but not in every case) they are likely to be less concerned about off the field antics and final scores. Their pay will have an unhealthy balance against their allegiance to the club, and there needs to be a better balance between the two.
I would rather see investment for long-term gains rather than see a short-term gamble again! Hope MM can do some good work and hope you all enjoy the next season as much as I did the last

Cheers to you all and I promise not to post anything so long winded ever again!……………………….

Re: New fan looking back over first season of being hooked

Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:38 am

Jesus Christ!! Are you sure you have only been down 1 season

What an excellent post!

Words for songs is a great Idea!!
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:49 am

Good post. Welome to the mad house!

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:01 am

I read the majority of it, then decided it was a good post :D

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:33 pm

TheMortgageAdvisor wrote:Good post. Welome to the mad house!

Welcome aboard :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks Annis! Keepin it short and sweet these days. Wasn't initialy trying to crash your messageboard I promise.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:45 pm

CDF-DNB wrote:Thanks Annis! Keepin it short and sweet these days. Wasn't initialy trying to crash your messageboard I promise.

You should do. You would make a lot of wives/girlfriends very happy. (including mine!!) :D :D :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: