Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Should Martyn Margetson be sacked?

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Should this guy be sacked like a dog ? He is supposed to be the goalkeeping coach yet must have had a say on bringing in Bywater who was third choice at Derby. This decision was one of the major reasons that we lost out on promotion yet Margetson has escaped any critisism. Also there is rumour that him and Heaton had a few issues towards the end of the season.I hope that Malky brings in Scott Loach as we could really do with a good keeper at present but I think it now time that City and Margetson part company so what do you all think?

Re: Should Martyn Margetson be sacked?

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:15 pm

:ayatollah:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Bloody right he should !

Got to get someone decent in to coach the keepers, should never have got rid of Georgie Wood !

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:Should this guy be sacked like a dog ? He is supposed to be the goalkeeping coach yet must have had a say on bringing in Bywater who was third choice at Derby. This decision was one of the major reasons that we lost out on promotion yet Margetson has escaped any critisism. Also there is rumour that him and Heaton had a few issues towards the end of the season.I hope that Malky brings in Scott Loach as we could really do with a good keeper at present but I think it now time that City and Margetson part company so what do you all think?

I was thinking the same earlier but having thought about it along with my views on Neil Ardley i may have got it wrong.

Dave Jones was a control freak and by all accounts he basically picked team, did tactics and ignored what his staff did. Maybe Margetson is a good coach but DJ over ruled him and told his keepers to stay on their line etc.

Regarding the academy DJ was reluctant to play any youngsters-maybe this season we will see a different side of things..

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Most definately, watched a few of his training/coaching sessions and they are pretty crap to say the least and that goes for all those who trained/coached our players over the last few years. I really believe the whole lot should go and clear the decks for who Malkey wants.
I am loathed to use the word "coaching" above, as it was nothing of the sort - very poor. :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:21 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:Should this guy be sacked like a dog ? He is supposed to be the goalkeeping coach yet must have had a say on bringing in Bywater who was third choice at Derby. This decision was one of the major reasons that we lost out on promotion yet Margetson has escaped any critisism. Also there is rumour that him and Heaton had a few issues towards the end of the season.I hope that Malky brings in Scott Loach as we could really do with a good keeper at present but I think it now time that City and Margetson part company so what do you all think?

He should go and Wilko, Donnelly.

I would keep Terry Burton and give Ardley more to do :D

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Wasn't it in 1 of carls updates that margetson wasn't overly happy about bringing in bywater? I heard it was more DJ's call

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:29 pm

Terry Burton is pretty poor on the training field also, Neil Ardley sounds ok but not much substance, but to be fair to Shaun, he seems to know what he is doing.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:34 pm

Besides ardley get rid of the lot of them Burton Margetson etc

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:40 pm

Dj brought in Bywater against Magetson's advice, Margetson didn't want him at all!

As for Heaton, he was a bag of nerves towards the end of the season and that is why they had words apparently.

I'm not bothered if he goes anyway (bring back George Wood!) :P

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:47 pm

In a word YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:51 pm

he has made some strange decisions with regard trainning,so for me yes :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:00 pm

20,000 fans could see bywater was a walking time bomb and was only a matter of time before he cost us promotion

that just goes to show it doesn't matter if your an ex pro you can still be a total downer who lacks the capability of being able to read into game situtions.

every football fan watches the same amount of football as a coach. , and the fans are right every time.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:09 pm

I don't think a keeper has ever improvd under margetson.
Even Heaton had to have a season back away to come back better.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:28 pm

Wasn't is Margetson who advised Jones Bywater was no good? Could be wrong....

Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:41 pm

Kanester wrote:Wasn't is Margetson who advised Jones Bywater was no good? Could be wrong....

I heard this aswell. :old:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:35 pm

I don't really care whether Margetson leaves or not, but Heaton is a good keeper. Don't see why Loach is that good seeing that he was lobbed from the halfway line by Matthews !

Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:40 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:I don't really care whether Margetson leaves or not, but Heaton is a good keeper. Don't see why Loach is that good seeing that he was lobbed from the halfway line by Matthews !

I dont think a mistake should judge the quality of a keeper. Paul Robinson was beaten from pretty much the corner flag, still a very good keeper.

Personally I'm more than happy with Heaton and Marshall.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:59 pm

I would hope Malky is allowed to bring in his own team.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:20 pm

Im not sticking up for him because i think hes rubbish but he didn't want Bywater but was told by DJ to get on with it.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:23 pm

birchblue wrote:

Im not sticking up for him because i think hes rubbish but he didn't want Bywater but was told by DJ to get on with it.

Well that is kind of his job, it isnt up to him to pick the keepers but to get the best out of them and he has failed with every keeper.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:36 pm

Very true but to be fair to him god wouldn't be able to sort Bywater out :lol: and yes he has made every GK worse that has come to us and has to go. :ayatollah:
He also is GK coach for the welsh team. :shock:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:16 am

Malky Mackay will most probably bring in the Goalkeeping Coach from Watford which i think is Alec Chamberlain the former Watford Keeper. I can see Malky bringing him in or a goalkeeper he played with in his playing days :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:57 am

YES WITHOUT A DOUBT AND TAKE WILKINSON WITH HIM . :evil:

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:06 am

When goalkeepers come to Cardiff they come off their line come for crosses, are quick to come out to get the ball to help defenders, but ater they are got hold of by Margetson, they go into their shell and become useless, Why do you think clubs have goalkeeping coaches? as much as I dislike calling for people to be sacked, I don't think Margetson is doing a good job, and should leave :thumbup: