Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE BIG BANNER

Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:47 am

What happened to the big Pride of Wales flag that we had made for the FA Cup?

Re: WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE BIG BANNER

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:28 am

SA17 Bluebird wrote:What happened to the big Pride of Wales flag that we had made for the FA Cup?

Still in the Supporters club office I think. It needs to be brought back out. Just tie it to the railings and keep it in one place like every other club seems to do!

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:03 am

new manager, new players...let's get the place filled with flags and the big banner

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:18 am

Arfur Europe may have it or its where I left it 2 years ago in the Trust office in the stadium. We have posted several times to surf it in recent years but nobody is interested. :?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:27 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:Arfur Europe may have it or its where I left it 2 years ago in the Trust office in the stadium. We have posted several times to surf it in recent years but nobody is interested. :?

Only just spotted this on the CCMB, so looked here too. This was my response to the same topic:

Just been told about this thread - missed it first time around.

It is still comfortably stored in a safe location awaiting the time when it can find a suitable home.

Splott Parker is right - it's crap for surfing as it's too heavy (it's actually made from a canvas material, not the usual nylon stuff) and looks at it's best when hung vertically off a building.

http://www.cardiffcity-mad.co.uk/news/t ... ndex.shtml

The club did kindly offer me the chance to meet with Phill Williams and Wayne Nash to look for places in which to hang the flag, but we have the problem of the rugby using the ground a few times and the height of said cavities are scarily huge!! For example, we went behind the scenes and I even climbed up the TV gantry ladder to have a mooch and the distance between top of the band of advertising above Row ZZ to the concrete below is a good two stories!

The club also graciously offered another location within the satdium, but due to a misunderstanding, me being on my own and trying to look after my 4yo daughter at the same time, it didn't happen. (The story was that I emailed WN and asked to drape it over the perenially unused block of Premier Seats nearest the Family Stand - I was a quarter of the way through doing this before one match last season and Phill Williams shouted up and said it was meant to go on the segregation netting. I had to ppick my lad up from football by that point, so had to leave).

The egg fans have done a very clever and professional job displaying theirs, as they've installed winches to the roof above the Family Stand which they connect their flag to (it's rolled up in front of Row A seats in non-match time). I've never been so can't comment on what this looks like. It only obviously works for them anyway, as they have no fans in that entire stand, thus it doesn't block anyone's view.

I really amof the opinion that I'd love to see it displayed during games however, so if ANYONE or any groups are willing to be responsible for it on match days, then drop me a PM.

It was paid for by the fans, belongs to the fans and I agree that the fans should benefit from it.

I might email Wayne when he gets back from hols and ask if the segregation offer is still available. If it is, would anyone on here fancy being in charge of said flag and laying it out before each home match and collecting and storing it again afterwards?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:36 pm

I might email Wayne when he gets back from hols and ask if the segregation offer is still available. If it is, would anyone on here fancy being in charge of said flag and laying it out before each home match and collecting and storing it again afterwards?

Sadly, and Im as bad as anyone, this is where it all goes quiet!

Nobody wants to be the one to do it.. I reckon the best chance is getting teenagers to do it, maybe stick something in a programme and getting a group of them to do it, they love stuff like that, but Im guessing you would still need an adult to supevise.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:41 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:I might email Wayne when he gets back from hols and ask if the segregation offer is still available. If it is, would anyone on here fancy being in charge of said flag and laying it out before each home match and collecting and storing it again afterwards?

Sadly, and Im as bad as anyone, this is where it all goes quiet!

Nobody wants to be the one to do it.. I reckon the best chance is getting teenagers to do it, maybe stick something in a programme and getting a group of them to do it, they love stuff like that, but Im guessing you would still need an adult to supevise.

Yeah, this is exactly where it's fallen flat in the past. Obviously would be best if we could just feckin lay it out somewhere, fix it in place and leave it for the season. I will ask Wayne of the chances of that in the email. Such a pity we're not getting the full use out of it though

:(

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Yeah ask him mate, cant hurt to ask.

Its a great flag, and as you said is such a wate locked away.

I myself genuinly havnt got time to do it, im guessing you would be needing someone to there around 1ish and lay it out and then take it down straight after.

theres got to be fans who live in the grangtowb/canton/riversise area who can do this?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:52 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Yeah ask him mate, cant hurt to ask.

Its a great flag, and as you said is such a wate locked away.

I myself genuinly havnt got time to do it, im guessing you would be needing someone to there around 1ish and lay it out and then take it down straight after.

theres got to be fans who live in the grangtowb/canton/riversise area who can do this?

Yeah, would be needed around that time on a matchday, or if the person / persons were sensible and built up a relationship with WN or PW, could do it day before / 2 days before etc.

I'll email Wayne in the meantime and firstly see if this option is still available and if there are any more 'semi-permanent' opportunities, shall we say.

One thing about the segregation netting space is that I'm not sure it's big enough (can't remember exact dimensions but that photo of the flag on Dumfries suggests it's approx same size as the side of a double decker bus) - also it could be damaged by away fans???? Never measured the netting up so haven't a scooby.