Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

fao army or ex army

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Ive applied to join the welsh guards, gunna miss not being able to watch city play, i have been told to expect to be in by october are you allowed to have weekends off, so i can come home and watch city or do you have to be confined to your baracks. please let me know the army website doest specify.

Re: fao army or ex army

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:09 pm

Think you'll be confined to barracks during basic military training, although you may be allowed to go home once during that term!

Once you've finished your basic infantry training, you'll be allowed home on weekends, as long as there are no exercises going on1

It'll also depend on where you get posted after your basic military training! :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:15 pm

Cheers m8 doesnt look like i can watch city then because i was told by the time i finish basic it will be time for a summer tour. Better make up for it in august and september. :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:18 pm

You'll be lucky if you get 1 or 2 weekends off during your basic training

further training you get most weekends off unless your on duty, you cant pick when your on duty you'll basically be told

once your with your unit most weekends are free, except again when your on duties. more freedom to swap duties though.

Good luck pal its a good life.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Thank you m8 are family allowed to see you on visits also gunna be hard being away from mother and father for so long. Although the pro's out weigh the cons.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Good Luck fella enjoy it and keep your head down. :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:30 pm

sorry mate you wont get a chance to see much of your family during basic, you'll be to be busy and to knackered.
Well worth it though, if you miss them just think how proud they'll be when they come up to see your passing out

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:33 pm

Its a great life, but as has been said weekends home really depend on where you get posted, what duties you end up with etc.

Good Luck

Arte et Marte :ayatollah: (Would be a great motto for the City)

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks every 1 for your posts been very helpful cant wait :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Good choice mate, I'm an ex Welsh Guard and loved it.

Phase one off your training at Pirbright no chance of getting any City games in sorry. Hope you don't get a jack platoon sergeant as I did that made those first few weeks hell when he found I was from Cardiff!

Phase 2 the combat infantrymans course at catterick you can earn the odd weekend off. I never came back to Wales, a few of us tried sunderland, newcastle, middlesboro - hopefully boro ties in for you and you can get an away game in.

I was in London with battalion for a year or so and if your based there its perfect for watching city away with the amount of clubs down there.

Good luck with it, its hard work but worth it. Any questions PM me mate.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:13 pm

GarethBrad wrote:Good choice mate, I'm an ex Welsh Guard and loved it.

Phase one off your training at Pirbright no chance of getting any City games in sorry. Hope you don't get a jack platoon sergeant as I did that made those first few weeks hell when he found I was from Cardiff!

Phase 2 the combat infantrymans course at catterick you can earn the odd weekend off. I never came back to Wales, a few of us tried sunderland, newcastle, middlesboro - hopefully boro ties in for you and you can get an away game in.

I was in London with battalion for a year or so and if your based there its perfect for watching city away with the amount of clubs down there.

I cant wait man hope there are no jacks, ecspecially after thyre promotion, Only question is Cerimonial marching is hard as it looks i find it hard walking in a straight line never mind with all that gear on :lol: :lol:

Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:44 pm

lagerlewis wrote:Ive applied to join the welsh guards, gunna miss not being able to watch city play, i have been told to expect to be in by october are you allowed to have weekends off, so i can come home and watch city or do you have to be confined to your baracks. please let me know the army website doest specify.

If you ring the the Welsh Guards give your full name and addss. and ask the following.....

oooo Sarge.... can I have weekends off?

I'm sure you'll be sorted.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:55 pm

You know 89 Jones,ex 3 Para ?

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:16 pm

lagerlewis wrote:

I cant wait man hope there are no jacks, ecspecially after thyre promotion, Only question is Cerimonial marching is hard as it looks i find it hard walking in a straight line never mind with all that gear on :lol: :lol:

Don't worry about ceremonial you'll get PLENTY of practice! Just a bitch in the summer its fooking boiling you'll sweat buckets and buckets.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:18 pm

abf9 wrote:

No I don't recognise the name, been out a few years now.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:25 pm

GarethBrad wrote:
abf9 wrote:

No I don't recognise the name, been out a few years now.

Was in COP early 90`s.Did 22yrs.Mates with Galvin,Bragington,Brady.