Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" THE CARDIFF CITY DEFENCE "

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:06 pm

Hudson, keinan, Gerrard, McNaughton, Blake, Quinn...

there is the potential for a very strong defence here if Malky can get
the right four to gel. I'm not going to suggest which 4, just that we
do have some strong defenders. Sort these lot out Mr Mackay....

Then lets see the kind of attacking play Watford graced the league with
last season, with Craig Bellamy and a few new names adding to the firepower!!

A bit of bite, a bit of cohesion, some team spirit!

Happy Days!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: THE CARDIFF CITY DEFENCE

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:17 pm

good to have three decent cbs, one spare keeping kevin at full back. It has potential if they hit form and gel early.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:20 pm

Keeper is also very important.

BUT........

You win a game in midfield!

And we don't have one!

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:34 pm

A good keeper is needed deffo , im sure malkey will sort our midfield out

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:38 pm

the midfield and strikeforce is our most important area to sort first of all

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Mackay should bring in Scott Loach as our keeper, he's one of the best shot stoppers in the Championship.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:14 pm

eighty_8 wrote:the midfield and strikeforce is our most important area to sort first of all

Nope.

Start from the back and work your way forward. No team ever done nowt without a strong
defence. Its a holding midfielder who can tackle we've lacked for years. If Malky gets the
defence right, everything else will slot into place. Oooo i'm excited

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:18 pm

Im happy with the goalkeepers and defence. Id try and offload Gypes and Naylor to bring in another fullback but otherwise im happy.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:19 pm

taffyapple wrote:
eighty_8 wrote:the midfield and strikeforce is our most important area to sort first of all

Nope.

Start from the back and work your way forward. No team ever done nowt without a strong
defence.
Its a holding midfielder who can tackle we've lacked for years. If Malky gets the

leeds united got promoted with a poor defence last year.

bayern munich got to the champions league final vs Jose's Inter Milan with a poor defence too.

Whilst I agree the defence is important, teams with poor defences have still achieved.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:37 pm

Bloobirds101 wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

Nope.

defence.
Its a holding midfielder who can tackle we've lacked for years. If Malky gets the

leeds united got promoted with a poor defence last year.

bayern munich got to the champions league final vs Jose's Inter Milan with a poor defence too.

Whilst I agree the defence is important, teams with poor defences have still achieved.

Got to disagree. If you score a record number of goals (as leeds did that year), and your goal
difference is massive (it was) and you win a hell of a lot more games than you lose then the
defence did its job

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:49 pm

If we had sorted out the defence, we'd be in the Premier League by now. Seemed to be a lot of chopping and changing. Mind you, the goalkeeping problems did not help towards the end of last season. But on paper, we have some good defenders. Easier said than done, I suppose. Malky, Malky sort them out, Malky, sort them out ! :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:14 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Im happy with the goalkeepers and defence. Id try and offload Gypes and Naylor to bring in another fullback but otherwise im happy.

Agree. Everybody taffyapple mentioned are good enough without question. Our goalkeepers are more than good enough as well. As 2blue said we might need a replacement for Naylor should he leave, and perhaps a fourth CB (possibly a loan from a Prem club), to challenge Hudson, Gerrard and Keinan. I think RB is well covered :lol:

Next season we need a settled defence from the start. Obviously it might change now and again due to injury/suspension but we just can't keep chopping and changing again and again and again. It doesn't work.

Look at the Jacks. Their defence hardly ever changed and they only ever use De Vries as keeper so they already had a strong base from which to work from. In the end they went up. I mean, Ashley Williams, Alan Tate, Angel Rangel, Garry Monk and Neil Taylor were the only 5 defenders I can recall them using last season. Same with QPR and Norwich !

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:16 pm

We still need a left back and as already stated some creative, hard tackleing midfielders.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:46 pm

Atm I'd go with;

Kev...Gerrard...Hudson...Darcy

Think we need a new left back though.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:05 pm

Bluebird1993 wrote:Atm I'd go with;

If that's Kev at LB then yes I agree.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Bluebird1993 wrote:Atm I'd go with;

If that's Kev at LB then yes I agree.

Yeah Kev left back, Darcy doesn't look comfortable on the left imo.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:15 pm

kev, gerard, hudson, quinn..... Quinn had some outstanding games for us season passed.. One of the most improved players in a good while IMO :ayatollah:

Darcy is pretty strong and not bad with the ball.. maybe have him as a defensive midfielder

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Darcys distribution is shocking hees more of a bench player that fits into wherever you want defensively

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:22 pm

yeah i suppose.. f**k him then, sell sell sell :lol:

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:14 pm

JonnieBlue wrote:kev, gerard, hudson, quinn..... Quinn had some outstanding games for us season passed.. One of the most improved players in a good while IMO :ayatollah:

Darcy is pretty strong and not bad with the ball.. maybe have him as a defensive midfielder

Wouldn't mind that back four at all ! And totally agree about Quinn; absolutely incredible turnaround :ayatollah: Technically he's not the best but he knows his limitations. When I saw him at the game against Celtic (official opening of the new stadium), he looked very good going forward and strong at the back. Since that first couple of months in the side he's been out with injury and we almost forgot about him but he's done well to return like he has. I remember the surprise I felt when his name was announced before Leeds home back in January - I couldn't believe it and had to say his name at least twice before I remembered who he was :lol:

Him or Darcy at RB would be fine. I don't think Darcy's a midfielder at all but I guess he could be useful in that position :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:24 pm

i was shocked to hear him announced he was shite when he played before but know a completely different player

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Midfield general wrote:Will be interesting to see what Gerrard brings to the table

f**k me he'll be like a new man!

He liked it here, had a good rapport with the fans, was popular, was playing bloody
well after a shaky start and was a major reason we made the play-offs. But he
upset Mr Grumpy and that was that.

Put yourself in his shoes... You'd be itching to show Cardiff City supporters just
how wrong Dave jones was

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:30 pm

taffyapple wrote:Hudson, keinan, Gerrard, McNaughton, Blake, Quinn...

yea there is a few of us chuffed tonight !!!

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:31 pm

Right He needs to get in

Hahnemann
Caldwell
Gabbidon
Spector

Bowyer
Cowie
Sonko
Olifinjana

Earnie
Phillips
Benjani
Carew

Sorted

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:31 pm

Gerrards fault was coming back over weight and as with rossco and chops (got dropped) DJ won't tolerate it and righly so.

From his twitter he seems to be working out on hols, in this case he can be an asset

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:51 pm

A good keeper is vital.

Defenders can also do their job better if they have faith in the keeper.

BUT........

David Batty, Javier Mascherano, Torsten Frings.......

Don't forget the importance of a holding player.

Every great defence has a holding playing protecting them.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:A good keeper is vital.

Defenders can also do their job better if they have faith in the keeper.

BUT........

David Batty, Javier Mascherano, Torsten Frings.......

Don't forget the importance of a holding player.

Every great defence has a holding playing protecting them.

Olofinjana was performing this role spectacularly well early last season. But as soon as he started playing in a two-man central midfield he tried doing too much and he was very inconsistent !

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:40 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Im happy with the goalkeepers and defence. Id try and offload Gypes and Naylor to bring in another fullback but otherwise im happy.

This.

As others have said it's a midfielder who can tackle we need - Oli at the very start (think Pompey away for example) or, better still, Riccy Scimeca in his prime, the best example of what we need I've seen since Kav.

Re: " THE CARDIFF CITY DEFENCE "

Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:18 am

taffyapple wrote:Hudson, keinan, Gerrard, McNaughton, Blake, Quinn...

I was actually thinking the same thing today that we have the makings of a strong defence with some good cover in most positions.

I think a keeper who commands his area and can actually catch crosses would be nice too. I can't remember the last time we had a keeper like this? Even Alexander was pretty poor in this regard and came under the 'good shot stopper' category.