Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Fred Keenor Statue

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:07 pm

It is really sad that it is taken so long for the funds to be raised for this statue, if it were for an egg head palyer then local companies would of been queing up to be associated
I think its a disgrace ,
really hope the target is met soon.

Re: Fred Keenor Statue

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:34 pm

It's an expensive statue.... I'm not overally fussed on the trust but the statue has raised a good amount.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:39 pm

i suppose we've taken 80+ years to do it, another 1 or 2 to raise the rest wont hurt
i cant wait and i agree, if it was an egger, it would be up and payed for by now

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:42 pm

eighty_8 wrote:i suppose we've taken 80+ years to do it, another 1 or 2 to raise the rest wont hurt
i cant wait and i agree, if it was an egger, it would be up and payed for by now

Thats very true as well .

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:30 pm

Has anyone suggested maybe selling those rubber wristbands around the stadium and the profits put to the Fred Keenor statue. Just a thought and it could be ongoing.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:54 pm

canton blue wrote:Has anyone suggested maybe selling those rubber wristbands around the stadium and the profits put to the Fred Keenor statue. Just a thought and it could be ongoing.

Great Idea Blue, sell them at the stadium during home games or have people selling the badges at the same time..... funds would be complete after 10 home games

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:55 pm

will it be designed with an anti theft device

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:12 am

exactly, i think the Trust have done a top job in getting this going, well done to those concerned
its the business people of Cardiff who i am having a go at

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks for the positive messages. The appeal was only officially launched in April 2010 - on the anniversary ofthe FA Cup win so I think the amount raised is good. Ordinary fans and small business people like Dilwar Ali, who organised a curry night, have been brilliant but we're disappointed that businesses with close links to Cardiff City and those big businesses in the city/South Wales have not contributed - the only major contribution was £500 from the owners of the Sand Martin - Marston's from Wolverhampton! We are now lobbying Assembly Members to ask them to put pressure on the new Sports Minister Huw Lewis (Merthyr & Rhymney)- we did not get anywhere with the previous Sports Minister Alun Ffred Jones. Julie Morgan the AM for Cardiff North has been particularly supportive. We are also producing a Keenor T-shirt for sale at the start of the new season as part of ongoing efforts. We'd be delighted to hear from anyone willing to organise events themselves- the fundraising committee is small in number.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:16 pm

Why not do a 5 a side football tournament, celebrating the heritage of Cardiff City and the Valleys, and donate all proceeds to the Keenor appeal. But also have a Cardiff City family day events......I believe that is one way in bringing all Cardiff fans together. :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:21 pm

The upcoming Fanzine will be in aid of the statue :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:21 pm

A match between the two City messageboards last year which raised more than £1,000 which was fantastic. As mentioned we need people to organise events. Other fans have run marathons in aid of the appeal so if, for instance, you've got a marathon on the horizon and would like to help the appeal please let us know through fundraising@ccfctrust.org.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Daya wrote:will it be designed with an anti theft device

SHUT UP DAYO YOU TART

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:43 pm

Who organised the match between the two message boards last time? Must admit that I would be up for it as I just came back from injury.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Was there a poll done to see how many people wanted the statue, and how much they'd be willing to donate?
From that, you could work out how much money there should be, no?

Just wondering if that was taken into account when commissioning the statue?

Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:56 pm

Whitchurch Blue wrote:A match between the two City messageboards last year which raised more than £1,000 which was fantastic. As mentioned we need people to organise events. Other fans have run marathons in aid of the appeal so if, for instance, you've got a marathon on the horizon and would like to help the appeal please let us know through fundraising@ccfctrust.org.

Well keep playing them instead of scabbing off the tax payer . Do your own work .

Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Whitchurch Blue wrote:Thanks for the positive messages. The appeal was only officially launched in April 2010 - on the anniversary ofthe FA Cup win so I think the amount raised is good. Ordinary fans and small business people like Dilwar Ali, who organised a curry night, have been brilliant but we're disappointed that businesses with close links to Cardiff City and those big businesses in the city/South Wales have not contributed - the only major contribution was £500 from the owners of the Sand Martin - Marston's from Wolverhampton! We are now lobbying Assembly Members to ask them to put pressure on the new Sports Minister Huw Lewis (Merthyr & Rhymney)- we did not get anywhere with the previous Sports Minister Alun Ffred Jones. Julie Morgan the AM for Cardiff North has been particularly supportive. We are also producing a Keenor T-shirt for sale at the start of the new season as part of ongoing efforts. We'd be delighted to hear from anyone willing to organise events themselves- the fundraising committee is small in number.

Why try tappint the tax payer if your doing this self funding ?

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:26 pm

is it true that £1 from every friendly ticket sold is going to the statue trust ?

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:29 pm

ellis3210 wrote:is it true that £1 from every friendly ticket sold is going to the statue trust ?

Yep. Means at atleast £10,000 will be raised from that game against Parma alone :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:04 pm

AfanBluebird wrote:
ellis3210 wrote:is it true that £1 from every friendly ticket sold is going to the statue trust ?

Yep. Means at atleast £10,000 will be raised from that game against Parma alone :ayatollah:

there you go then ... no need to lobby parliment.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Daya wrote:
AfanBluebird wrote:

Didn't The FA & UK Government (Sports Minister) fund the West Ham statue of Bobby Moore at Upton Park? :roll:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Yep. Means at atleast £10,000 will be raised from that game against Parma alone :ayatollah:[/quote]

there you go then ... no need to lobby parliment.[/quote]

Didn't The FA & UK Government (Sports Minister) fund the West Ham statue of Bobby Moore at Upton Park? :roll:[/quote]

Dunno , maybe Sludge @ his friends should ask the Welsh FA then ! Bobby of course was a National hero not a local one mind you and he lifted the World Cup for his Country. Slight difference.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:31 pm

Daya wrote:Yep. Means at atleast £10,000 will be raised from that game against Parma alone :ayatollah:

there you go then ... no need to lobby parliment.[/quote]

Didn't The FA & UK Government (Sports Minister) fund the West Ham statue of Bobby Moore at Upton Park? :roll:[/quote]

Dunno , maybe Sludge @ his friends should ask the Welsh FA then ! Bobby of course was a National hero not a local one mind you and he lifted the World Cup for his Country. Slight difference.[/quote]

But Welsh/Scottish/Northern Irish tax payers money still went to pay for it? Missing the point here Steve. I don't think Swansea/Wrexham ect. fans will not be impressed if their money went on a statue for our hero, but like the article says, he was a "National Treasure". I pretty much doubt Millwall or any other rival were impressed with others paying for the statue at the Boleyn. But I know West Ham did put a few pennies in the pot for it. £725,000 the statue came to all together.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:34 pm

All proceeds from the upcoming fanzine are going to the Statue :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:40 pm

AfanBluebird wrote:
Daya wrote:Yep. Means at atleast £10,000 will be raised from that game against Parma alone :ayatollah:

Dunno , maybe Sludge @ his friends should ask the Welsh FA then ! Bobby of course was a National hero not a local one mind you and he lifted the World Cup for his Country. Slight difference.[/quote]

But Welsh/Scottish/Northern Irish tax payers money still went to pay for it? Missing the point here Steve. I don't think Swansea/Wrexham ect. fans will not be impressed if their money went on a statue for our hero, but like the article says, he was a "National Treasure". I pretty much doubt Millwall or any other rival were impressed with others paying for the statue at the Boleyn. But I know West Ham did put a few pennies in the pot for it. £725,000 the statue came to all together.[/quote]

Subsidised Countries in general. National treasure to local Cardiff people . Milllwall pikeys dont pay tax they live off it in the form of a green and white :lol:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:30 am

Will there be a statue for Dave Jones in the future ? :D :D :D :D :D

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:43 am

Daya wrote:
AfanBluebird wrote:

Didn't The FA & UK Government (Sports Minister) fund the West Ham statue of Bobby Moore at Upton Park? :roll:

But Welsh/Scottish/Northern Irish tax payers money still went to pay for it? Missing the point here Steve. I don't think Swansea/Wrexham ect. fans will not be impressed if their money went on a statue for our hero, but like the article says, he was a "National Treasure". I pretty much doubt Millwall or any other rival were impressed with others paying for the statue at the Boleyn. But I know West Ham did put a few pennies in the pot for it. £725,000 the statue came to all together.[/quote]

Subsidised Countries in general. National treasure to local Cardiff people . Milllwall pikeys dont pay tax they live off it in the form of a green and white :lol:[/quote]

Scotland aren't subsided, North Sea oil has been bankrolling this country for 40 years. ;)

As for the statue, the fact that well over 1/2 of the money has been raised is great. We just need to be patient and keep things rolling -I like the wristband idea :D

I'll be making a business contribution as soon as soon as I can afford it, not fair on my staff or family at the moment if I did. I'd guess a lot of other local companies are in the same boat.

As for Keenor anyone who is making a judgement on his hero status
should read his book - not just a football hero, but a war hero too. Puts the modern footballers in the shade.

Even Bobby Moore didnt fight for his country.