Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Honest Hornet View Of Malky

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:14 pm

So I think most of us expect Malky to be appointed Cardiff manager.

What are you getting:

A young passionate manager who will try to instill a never say die attitude in the players. He has done well with limited funds, but the signings he has made have not been his own. Danny Graham was signed by Rodgers, who left before he joined, Don Cowie, McGinn and Buckley were all signed by our head of football at the time John Stephenson. I reckon you guys will probably appoint one of these fairly soon too. He generates a good rapport with the fans and has some good footballing ideas (although his set pieces are dreadful truly, especially when defending). In terms of attacking Malky certainly got us to do that we scored an astonishing 78 goals in the league last season.

What negatives does he have? A tendancy to blame referees and he bitches like hell if things are not going our way. The amount of times we heard last season that it was the refs fault something happened, when really we just underperformed. I would say that Malky has good links with some of the premiership managers, but Sir Alex has always been fond of Watford rather than the managers and I hear he is not overly impressed with cardiff. He does seem to lack a plan B if the game is not going to plan and his substitutions are appalling. Very rarely will Malky be able to change the game with a sub, however in his first season his half time team talks did seem to do the trick. In comparison to the ability he seems to be able to instill in attacking players, I would still say that defensively we were one of the worst in the league last season and some blame needs to be apportioned to Malky.

Overall = probably a good appointment given time, baring in mind that he needs to build a squad I would expect him to have some kind of 3 year plan to be in the premiership. Im not sure how he will perform if given funds, but I wouldn't expect them to be overly lavish, he will probably sign players who can get the job done.

Re: Honest Hornet View Of Malky

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:20 pm

i didnt realise until i just looked back at it, but our failure to get in the playoffs last year was probably due to the fact that we only managed 4 wins in our last 21 games. when we lost games, we lost lots of games in a row.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Have to agree with you there Hornet, Malky's nowhere near the finished article. I actually thought this would be the season to show what he's really made of, as the last 2 have been about trying to keep the club out of administration & survival in the Championship (both achieved). I was hoping that this year would finally see some stability, but looks like that ain't going to happen. Really could be doing without finding yet another manager - that would make it 7 in 10 years.

As for Cardiff, I'm confused why you'd want to appoint a largely untried manager that has had absolutely no links with your club. You're looking for someone to get quick results, and ultimately get promotion. Maybe Malky can do that, I don't know. But I'm surprised you'd take the gamble to be honest.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:22 pm

dont think he will come compensation will be to much and i dont blame him if he says no after trying to get shearer before him what a laughing stock weve become :evil:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:24 pm

hornet_fan wrote:i didnt realise until i just looked back at it, but our failure to get in the playoffs last year was probably due to the fact that we only managed 4 wins in our last 21 games. when we lost games, we lost lots of games in a row.

No Plan B, Unable to change a game, losing runs.

Sounds familiar!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:30 pm

there is something strange in it all. is it because Malky will be relatively cheap? If you really wanted promotion then really you need look no further than Hughton.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:33 pm

ANDYBLUE wrote:dont think he will come compensation will be to much and i dont blame him if he says no after trying to get shearer before him what a laughing stock weve become :evil:

why are we a laughing stock ffs. alan shearer was just another interviewee, along with 5 or 6 others, who decided to go public. One person decides to speak out, the press roll with it and you blame our club. come on mun

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:43 pm

i get what your saying valleycasual but other peoples perception of us is not good listening to talk shite this morning and there all litrealy all laughing at saying no players no money no manager wants to come here [i know weve got a bit more money than some people think] but it all seems to be draging on and a bit amature to me hope im wrong and all goes well :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:58 pm

TheMortgageAdvisor wrote:
hornet_fan wrote:i didnt realise until i just looked back at it, but our failure to get in the playoffs last year was probably due to the fact that we only managed 4 wins in our last 21 games. when we lost games, we lost lots of games in a row.

No Plan B, Unable to change a game, losing runs.

Sounds familiar!

ha ha :lol: :lol:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:02 pm

hornet_fan wrote:there is something strange in it all. is it because Malky will be relatively cheap? If you really wanted promotion then really you need look no further than Hughton.

That's the thing though, Hughton wouldn't be as great for us as some make it out to be. Our squad needs some serious rebuilding and Hughton has shown he can get a quality squad that has just been relegated (Newcastle) promoted back to the Prem at the 1st attempt.

That's why Brum would be perfect for him !

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:28 pm

Thanks for that HH

A very honest (goes without saying) and informative post.

On the Plan B front, I like the way that Sir Alex Ferguson's has, and uses a Plan B. He has proved how simple it is.

If things aren't going well he brings on a few of the following:

Ryan Giggs
Paul Scholes (prior to retiring)
Dimitar Berbatov
Ji Sung Park
John O'Shea
Michael Owen
Darren Fletcher
Wayne Rooney
Javier Hernandez
Michael Carrick
Anderson
Nani
Darron Gibson
Those Da Silva boys
etc

Now, why haven't Cardiff City or Watford FC use these tried and tested methods.

I should be the next manager you know.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:35 pm

ANDYBLUE wrote:i get what your saying valleycasual but other peoples perception of us is not good listening to talk shite this morning and there all litrealy all laughing at saying no players no money no manager wants to come here [i know weve got a bit more money than some people think] but it all seems to be draging on and a bit amature to me hope im wrong and all goes well :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I don't really care though what other people think. The transfer window don't open till July 1st, as for missing out on free's I think only David Norris is someone we missed out on. Ktf