Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

He's got it apparently

Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:59 pm

Great Headline.............................

'Crazy' Shearer accepts surprise offer to become new Cardiff boss

Published 20:53 14/06/11 By Simon Bird and Alan Nixon

Recommend

Newcastle-United-Alan-Shearer-cropped

Alan Shearer is ready to become the new boss of Cardiff.

The England and Newcastle legend will end his exile from frontline football, and ditch his role as Match of the Day pundit to take over at the Bluebirds.

Shearer will appoint Tommy Craig as his assistant, after Cardiff's speculative approach to the 40-year-old paid off.

Watford boss Malky Mackay had been favourite to take over, but Shearer delighted Cardiff by saying yes to their surprise offer.

The former England star was contacted more in hope than expectation.

But after talks he decided to take the job, this second crack at management after an eight-game spell with Newcastle ended in relegation in May 2009.

Shearer will take over from sacked Dave Jones and be given money to re-build the side.

He spoke last season of wanting to do his managerial apprenticeship and that he was happy to take a club with ambition in the Championship or below.

But his move to Cardiff will not help their chances of bringing Craig Bellamy back.

Bellamy and Shearer clashed in their Newcastle days and a second loan spell for the Manchester City striker is now unlikely, but an offer will be made to the controversial star.

Ironically Shearer's first job will be to buy two new strikers. Michael Chopra has also left for Ipswich and Jay Bothroyd on a free transfer.

Cardiff's move came after sifting through several experienced candidates and coming down to a final two of Mackay and Huddersfield's Lee Clark.

Shearer says he's mates reckon he's "crazy" for wanting a managerial role.

But he says he has "craved" being back and "challenging" himself again.

Shearer says: "When I was playing it was great, but it's still within me that I want to give it another crack at management. I would like to keep on challenging myself, it's just the way I am.

"It's the way I always have been. After 20 years as a player, I'm used to a challenge, the excitement, the adrenaline. I honestly don't think I have a choice, I will always crave that.

"It is imperative that you have the chance of success at my next job.

"It's just a case of, if the right one comes along.

"I loved my time at Newcastle, I loved those eight games despite what happened. If you're in football, it is like a drug. I love the game, and if the right job offer comes along, definitely.

"My friends do tell me I'm crazy for wanting to get back into management. There isn't any long-term security, do I need the hassle? But I do. I love it. I miss the highs and lows of winning and losing.

"It's horrible when you lose, the suffering, but you have to have that to appreciate the good times. Newcastle ended badly, but there is part of me that wants to have another crack at management."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Al ... z1PHZKkmjX

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Al ... 47021.html