Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" CHOPRA DEPARTURE SURPRISES BLAKE "

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:40 am

Ex-Cardiff City forward Nathan Blake says he is surprised at the sale of striker Michael Chopra to Ipswich Town.

But Blake believes the departure, in an estimated £1.5m deal, of one of Cardiff's higher earners could signal cost-cutting measures by the Bluebirds.

"I thought... [Chopra] would have been critical to Cardiff's promotion push next season," Blake said.

"A little surprised, yes, but also... the flip side of that is he was one of the larger wage earners."

Cardiff are in a period of upheaval after a season that again promised so much but ultimitely ended in failure with their play-off semi-final defeat to Reading.

Long-serving manager Dave Jones has been sacked and the likes of players Jay Bothroyd, Chris Burke - both as free agents - Chopra and Adam Matthews have also left the Cardiff City Stadium.

Blake admits that Chopra's form dipped last season but says there are obvious reasons for his goal-scoring slump.

"I still think he looked half-decent but I didn't think he looked as sharp as say the season before last," added Blake, speaking on BBC Radio Wales' The Back Page programme.

"But form is something you have to play games [to get] and you have to say 90% of the time he was coming off the bench this season.

"So it's difficult to play yourself into form when you're always sat on the bench... and psychologically it messes with your confidence, especially if you're a striker.

"He's not an impact player, he's the kind of player you play from the beginning and nine times out of 10 he's going to get you a goal.

"So for me there should have been a way of fitting him into the team structure more often... he's got goals in him and you can never have enough goals in your team."

The appointment of a new manager is thought to be imminent, with ex-Newcastle United manager Chris Hughton and Watford boss Malkay Mackay two leading candidates, while former Barnsley manager Mark Robins has revealed he has been in contact.

Whoever the new appointment is, Blake believes the new boss will have to operate on a reduced budget compared with previous seasons and also make some root and branch changes.

"It certainly looks as though Cardiff are going to be scaling down on their outgoings," Blake said.

"You just need to go back to the drawing board. Whoever comes in is going to have to look all the way down to the coaching structure, the scouting structure, getting the right players in at the right age.

"Obviously they're going to need to pick up some free transfers... and if there is any money then sign one or two very experienced players.

"It is all going to depend on the manager, because you get the right man in and you don't need to spend millions and millions of pounds to get out of the Championship.

"You just need to have a good team ethic, know what you're doing, play to a certain philosophy and you can get out of that division.

"Anyone who thinks you need to spend, spend, spend. I think they way that Cardiff did it the season just gone... you're taking a massive risk."

Re: " CHOPRA DEPARTURE SURPRISES BLAKE "

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:45 am

I have heard that a £16-£20 Mill Budget is in place for next Season, But We will know soon if that is True :ayatollah:

But I also don't understand why they got rid of Chopra until a new manager had been appointed and had Decided what to do with Chops, as yes his of the field antics were a disgrace, But maybe a New Manager could of sorted Chops out, lets see how he does at Ipswich, be very interesting ?

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:48 am

Perhaps the Malaysians asked Bellamy for advice and he said "get what you can for the drunken gambler".

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:52 am

Forever Blue wrote:I have heard that a £16-£20 Mill Budget is in place for next Season, But We will know soon if that is True :ayatollah:

But I also don't understand why they got rid of Chopra until a new manager had been appointed and had Decided what to do with Chops, as yes his of the field antics were a disgrace, But maybe a New Manager could of sorted Chops out, lets see how he does at Ipswich, be very interesting ?

I agree with you on this one, Annis.

Really think that we should have waited for a new manager to be appointed before selling anyone :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:53 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I have heard that a £16-£20 Mill Budget is in place for next Season, But We will know soon if that is True :ayatollah:

Really think that we should have waited for a new manager to be appointed before selling anyone :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Def as on his day Chopra is a Top 5 Championship Striker. :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:53 am

Spot on Annis :ayatollah:

Back to the cost cutting,does that mean ANY OTHER PLAYER on eg.. £14 k or more going :?:
How about Jay with his demands,to come back and play for more money :?:

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:56 am

Forever Blue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Def as on his day Chopra is a Top 5 Championship Striker. :ayatollah:

If he stays fit, can see him getting 20+ next season with Ipswich. In my view, we now need three good strikers.

I honestly feel though, that if we get Malky as manager then he may be able to pursuade Jay to stay :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:02 am

Sorry but im glad he's gone, if he signalled his intention to leave on a free next summer, the club have cashed in, which is something we have slagged them off about regarding Jay, Joe etc. If the bellamy deal comes off chops would be a very expensive bench warmer! And if its true what insiders at the club are saying people r glad hes gone, arrogant and not a nice person. In this case, taking all this into account, the fact his personal life is in a mess to say the least, i think the relationship between club, fans and chopra has come to a rather natural end, it suits everyone which is rare in football nowadays

Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:01 pm

People were up in arms when they heard he was out on the piss before the 'Boro game. Now the so called, football free board, make a decision to rid the club of a player past his best and a bad influence and people are knocking them !

Can't have it both ways guys.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:12 pm

If it is malky and he does have a reported £16m-20m budget I think he could build an impressive side for us next season not full of big names and you can almost guarantee we will have a few watford players joining us too. I wouldnt rule out john eustace!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:36 pm

I don't think MC was a team player. I also think he was one of the "big ego's" that the Malaysians described recently, that was at our club!

Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Toally agree about chops, I honestly don't think we will replace chops and Jay with players of the same quality.

As for Blake he will say anything to get in the media

Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:23 am

Imo the club have done the right thing by selling chops (good luck to him),although i would like to see the new manager resign
jay and get earnie back where he belongs :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:34 am

i for one is glad he is gone, there is no place at our club for the obnoxious big ego players, we want players that commit 110% to the cause, and dont get pissed up on matchdays

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:22 am

I don't think any of us would be at all surprised if Chops bagged 20 goals next season, in fact I expect him to get around that amount, however, I don't thunk he would have done it here at Cardiff. He needs a new challenge and a change of scenery, you just have to accept that Chopra, is that type of player, he cannot or will not stay anywhere for too long. If Ipswich manage to hold onto Connor Wickam, they could be in for plenty of goals and excitement down at Portman Road.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:39 am

Leytonstoneblue wrote:

I don't think any of us would be at all surprised if Chops bagged 20 goals next season, in fact I expect him to get around that amount, however, I don't thunk he would have done it here at Cardiff. He needs a new challenge and a change of scenery, you just have to accept that Chopra, is that type of player, he cannot or will not stay anywhere for too long. If Ipswich manage to hold onto Connor Wickam, they could be in for plenty of goals and excitement down at Portman Road.

I disagree, I feel he would have scored 20+ last season if he had stayed fit. He is one of the best strikers in the Championship. Ipswich could well be up there if they add a couple more signings.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:26 am

annis, i can understand why they let chops go
the club has been slaughtered by certain people on here for letting players like Bothroyd, Matthews and Ledley run into the final year of their contract, yet with Chopra, we havent done that AND weve received a 7 figure fee for him
the club can never win sometimes, he obviously wanted to go and wouldnt have signed another contract so i see absolutely no problem at all with letting a player leave for a fair fee when he has one year of his contract remaining