Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

STEVE JONES RUNNING LEGEND!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:42 pm

i know its my second athletic post in 2 days but i was just wondering if anyone would like to join the facebook group i set up for ebbw vales former world marathon record holder steve jones! ... i started the group last year in honour of his 25 year old british marathon record and to try and get blaenau gwent council to honour the date [which they didnt after much hard work] ... anyway if any of you are on facebook i`d love it if you would join this group! ... his son and sister are members of the group along with charlie spedding and the great african runner henry rono ... for all those youngsters who never heard of steve jones well he broke the world record in 1985 while still serving in the RAF. steve also won the london, chicago and new york marathon! ..... http://www.facebook.com/?start=0&sk=inb ... 9196588649 :ayatollah:

Re: STEVE JONES RUNNING LEGEND!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:48 pm

this is steve during a 10,000 race .... watch and you`ll see what a tremendous athlete he was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlinW5Zw ... re=related :shock:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:20 pm

AHERNE wrote:i know its my second athletic post in 2 days but i was just wondering if anyone would like to join the facebook group i set up for ebbw vales former world marathon record holder steve jones! ... i started the group last year in honour of his 25 year old british marathon record and to try and get blaenau gwent council to honour the date [which they didnt after much hard work] ... anyway if any of you are on facebook i`d love it if you would join this group! ... his son and sister are members of the group along with charlie spedding and the great african runner henry rono ... for all those youngsters who never heard of steve jones well he broke the world record in 1985 while still serving in the RAF. steve also won the london, chicago and new york marathon! ..... http://www.facebook.com/?start=0&sk=inb ... 9196588649 :ayatollah:

I remember Steve Jones breaking the world record.

I did not realise 25 years later he is still the British record holder, that is unbelievable.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:11 pm

Magners wrote:
AHERNE wrote:i know its my second athletic post in 2 days but i was just wondering if anyone would like to join the facebook group i set up for ebbw vales former world marathon record holder steve jones! ... i started the group last year in honour of his 25 year old british marathon record and to try and get blaenau gwent council to honour the date [which they didnt after much hard work] ... anyway if any of you are on facebook i`d love it if you would join this group! ... his son and sister are members of the group along with charlie spedding and the great african runner henry rono ... for all those youngsters who never heard of steve jones well he broke the world record in 1985 while still serving in the RAF. steve also won the london, chicago and new york marathon! ..... http://www.facebook.com/?start=0&sk=inb ... 9196588649 :ayatollah:

I remember Steve Jones breaking the world record.

I did not realise 25 years later he is still the British record holder, that is unbelievable.

he still holds the 4 fastest times over the distance in the uk too! ... and only the other month mo farah took his half-marathon uk record! .... steve is the only athletic world record holder that as never been honoured by the queen either! ... i tried my hardest for blaenau gwent to honour him last october [25th anniversary] but they did absolutely nothing!

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:15 am

That's typical of our council !

A mate of mine was awarded coach of the year in the annual sporsts awards, they then banned him from organising any more MMA events in the borough 1

Hoping to stand as councillor in my ward next May, time to try and make some changes !

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:20 am

The Trooper wrote:That's typical of our council !

A mate of mine was awarded coach of the year in the annual sporsts awards, they then banned him from organising any more MMA events in the borough 1

Hoping to stand as councillor in my ward next May, time to try and make some changes !

its disgusting trooper especially as he put ebbw vale on the map! we`ll never see the likes of steve jones in wales again and blaenau gwent should build a bloody statue of the bloke not line their own pockets with tax payers money! .... what i wanted them to do was name the athletic track in brynmawr after him, so that kids would feel that they to go achieve greatness! ... i bet most people in wales dont even know who steve jones is, its criminal! .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz40AXEg8lI here he is breaking the WORLD RECORD!
and heres the interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvr7_vQDQiE humble man!
Last edited by AHERNE on Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:21 am

Shocking that he's the only world record holder not to be recognised.

What's he up to these days?

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:28 am

cyncoed blue wrote:Shocking that he's the only world record holder not to be recognised.

What's he up to these days?

he moved to america where reebook offered him a job .... he offered his services to british athletics, but he was never blue collared enough for them! ... he comes home very often and does talks but they seem to ignore him here! as you`ll see from the interview above he was just a normal valley boy that worked for the RAF at the same time as his running career! .... if he`d been running today he`d have been lottery funded and able to train at altitude! ... steve did his training at army camps and at home in ebbw vale! legend!

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:06 am

I grew up in Ebbw, we often used to drive past Steve pounding the roads and pavements.

LEGEND :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:34 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:I grew up in Ebbw, we often used to drive past Steve pounding the roads and pavements.

LEGEND :ayatollah:

i was lucky enough to race against him many times tangleupinblue and i`m sure i frightened him once in one race for the first 10 yards! :lol: funny to look back now and think that a world record holder was just yards from me on a start line and at the time i didnt think twice about it cause it was just the norm! ... how times have changed! :cry:

Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:46 pm

He was an incredible athlete.

He didn't receive nearly the amount of recognition in Wales that he should have done. It was usually just a cursory mention from Bob Humphries on Wales Today and that was it.

A real legend. What a fantastic thing to tell the grandkids AHERNE, that you raced againist him. :ayatollah:

How is your form at the moment ? I seem to remember reading on here or CCMB that you are a bit of a flyer yourself.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:11 pm

alfie sherwood wrote:He was an incredible athlete.

He didn't receive nearly the amount of recognition in Wales that he should have done. It was usually just a cursory mention from Bob Humphries on Wales Today and that was it.

A real legend. What a fantastic thing to tell the grandkids AHERNE, that you raced againist him. :ayatollah:

How is your form at the moment ? I seem to remember reading on here or CCMB that you are a bit of a flyer yourself.

i`ve had to semi-retire alfie due to constant foot problems! .... i do hope to start up again one day cause its in my blood but i think my winning races days are well and truly over now! .... but theres always veteran races and that would give me all the motivation i`d need! ... its why i find it so difficult to watch unfit players like chopra cause theres runners in wales running in local races that would jump over his head fitness wise and they do it for "the love of the sport"

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:22 pm

AHERNE wrote:

i`ve had to semi-retire alfie due to constant foot problems! .... i do hope to start up again one day cause its in my blood but i think my winning races days are well and truly over now! .... but theres always veteran races and that would give me all the motivation i`d need! ... its why i find it so difficult to watch unfit players like chopra cause theres runners in wales running in local races that would jump over his head fitness wise and they do it for "the love of the sport"

I agree AHERNE. I'm 40 now but run locally and whilst I don't rip up any trees I can still (occasionally) break 20 minutes for the 5k and still have hopes of cracking 40 minutes for the 10k and 90 minutes for the half marathon this year. The key to it is commitment. Seeing players like Chopra,JLS ,McCormack etc who have the ability but not the commitment is hard to take.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:31 pm

alfie sherwood wrote:
AHERNE wrote:

I agree AHERNE. I'm 40 now but run locally and whilst I don't rip up any trees I can still (occasionally) break 20 minutes for the 5k and still have hopes of cracking 40 minutes for the 10k and 90 minutes for the half marathon this year. The key to it is commitment. Seeing players like Chopra,JLS ,McCormack etc who have the ability but not the commitment is hard to take.

if you set your goals like that then i think you will achieve them! ... i always aimed like that! .... i felt just as cuffed running under 90 mins for the half-marathon as i did breaking 71 mins! .. its what drives us runners on! .. good luck with that and PLEASE pm me when you do break those times! :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:37 pm

ote]
i`ve had to semi-retire alfie due to constant foot problems! .... i do hope to start up again one day cause its in my blood but i think my winning races days are well and truly over now! .... but theres always veteran races and that would give me all the motivation i`d need! ... its why i find it so difficult to watch unfit players like chopra cause theres runners in wales running in local races that would jump over his head fitness wise and they do it for "the love of the sport"[/quote]

I agree AHERNE. I'm 40 now but run locally and whilst I don't rip up any trees I can still (occasionally) break 20 minutes for the 5k and still have hopes of cracking 40 minutes for the 10k and 90 minutes for the half marathon this year. The key to it is commitment. Seeing players like Chopra,JLS ,McCormack etc who have the ability but not the commitment is hard to take.[/quote]
if you set your goals like that then i think you will achieve them! ... i always aimed like that! .... i felt just as cuffed running under 90 mins for the half-marathon as i did breaking 71 mins! .. its what drives us runners on! .. good luck with that and PLEASE pm me when you do break those times! :ayatollah:[/quote]

Cheers. Will do. I did the cross country 10k near Hay on Wye last Sunday. That was tough little bugger :lol: Next one on list is Aberdare 10k , I'm told that is a good one for a PB but I need to get more hard work in first.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:52 pm

alfie sherwood wrote:ote]

I agree AHERNE. I'm 40 now but run locally and whilst I don't rip up any trees I can still (occasionally) break 20 minutes for the 5k and still have hopes of cracking 40 minutes for the 10k and 90 minutes for the half marathon this year. The key to it is commitment. Seeing players like Chopra,JLS ,McCormack etc who have the ability but not the commitment is hard to take.[/quote]
if you set your goals like that then i think you will achieve them! ... i always aimed like that! .... i felt just as cuffed running under 90 mins for the half-marathon as i did breaking 71 mins! .. its what drives us runners on! .. good luck with that and PLEASE pm me when you do break those times! :ayatollah:[/quote]

Cheers. Will do. I did the cross country 10k near Hay on Wye last Sunday. That was tough little bugger :lol: Next one on list is Aberdare 10k , I'm told that is a good one for a PB but I need to get more hard work in first.[/quote]
my only advice is to start off steady and let the idiots fly into the distance then pick them off one by one! its always a confidence booster to be overtaking runners than runners flying past you! i know its hard sometimes cause of the adrenaline rush but that first half mile to a mile of any race is so important. f**k that up and the race is gone and its just acase of hanging on! .... have a good un!