Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

STEVE MACLAREN's BARMY ARMY!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:42 am

I dont expect this to be a popular suggestion but im really beginning to warm to the idea of Steve Maclaren being our next boss. Yes his record with England was poor but he took Middlesborough to their highest premier league position, won the Carling Cup with them and also took them to the Uefa Cup Final. He then led a small dutch club, on a small wage structure, to the dutch title and into the champions league. Admittedly he didnt do well at Wolfsburg but his track record suggests that he is good at small to medium clubs and without much money to spend. He seems desperate to get a job in this country but no premier league team will touch him with a barge pole. In light of this I think we really have a good chance of getting him in. His record is far superior to the likes of Mackay, Robins, Hughton and Di Matteo and his salary will be far less than the likes of MON. He has some great contacts with the game and comes across as a likeable bloke. For me he ticks all the boxes and I would welcome him here with open arms!

Re: STEVE MACLAREN's BARMY ARMY!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:44 am

I would be more than happy with him.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:45 am

I just can't see a former England manager taking a job in Wales. Just me.

Not too sure how i'd take to him, probably be ok. Good contacts, limited success, lots of pressure in this job and lets face it he capitulated with England.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:05 pm

i think that after his experience with England he would be delighted to take a job in Wales! The more I think about it I think he would be perfect. No one is keener to restore their reputation than him and he would work very hard to do everything in his power to take us up. If we made him feel wanted here then I think he could be a perfect fit for us!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:i think that after his experience with England he would be delighted to take a job in Wales! The more I think about it I think he would be perfect. No one is keener to restore their reputation than him and he would work very hard to do everything in his power to take us up. If we made him feel wanted here then I think he could be a perfect fit for us!

McLaren has a superb club track record.

Unfortunately though, like O'Neill he wont be coming here. He's going to the Prem.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:10 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
Jimbo27 wrote:i think that after his experience with England he would be delighted to take a job in Wales! The more I think about it I think he would be perfect. No one is keener to restore their reputation than him and he would work very hard to do everything in his power to take us up. If we made him feel wanted here then I think he could be a perfect fit for us!

McLaren has a superb club track record.

Unfortunately though, like O'Neill he wont be coming here. He's going to the Prem.

Usually a man with his track record would be destined for the prem but the only job available is Villa and theyve turned him down. Fans of premier league clubs dont want him and therefore i think that he will have to try and restore his reputation with a top championship club. You can be sure he wouldnt have been on a mega salary at FC TWente so we could afford him! I really hope the club have at least sounded him out as we have a unique opportunity to get a hungry, young, successful coach on a reasonable wage!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:17 pm

He's more hated in England than we are. Sign him up now!!! :ayatollah: :lol:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:24 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:He's more hated in England than we are. Sign him up now!!! :ayatollah: :lol:

TRUE!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Anyone will do at this stage.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:49 pm

would have some useful contacts too from his time abroad !!
id be more than happy with him !

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:52 pm

and furthermore, the last twice that DJ left a job he was succeeded by a former England manager.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:02 pm

everyday-im-shuffling wrote:would have some useful contacts too from his time abroad !!
id be more than happy with him !

This is my think, he would have some great contacts in Holland and Germany.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:27 pm

No! He's a ditherer.

StT.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:48 pm

Like Hughton would be a good appointment. He has bags of experience and has got results with teams. :D

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:No! He's a ditherer.

StT.

That so called dithering has still left him with a far superior record to the majority of the candidates in the running!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:54 pm

wont come here just look for the cheapest :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:

StT.

That so called dithering has still left him with a far superior record to the majority of the candidates in the running!

He, like DJ, comes from the old school. As we found out with our last encumbrant football has moved on much since the 70's. Regarding his international career, sure, it's pretty good but in the big games he was found wanting (remember the umbrella pic?). Where have I heard that before? His managerial record at club level is as follows:

Middlesbrough ... 38.80%
FC Twente ... 63.37%
VfL Wolfsburg ... 23.81%

My view is simply this: I've had enough of the old school, one size fits all approach to football. We need a dynamic manager who will get hold of the squad, tell them what's expected, both on and off the pitch, be tactically aware and give 100%. If SM ticks those boxes for you ... fine. But for me I wouldn't want him at City.

StT.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:
Jimbo27 wrote:

StT.

He, like DJ, comes from the old school. As we found out with our last encumbrant football has moved on much since the 70's. Regarding his international career, sure, it's pretty good but in the big games he was found wanting (remember the umbrella pic?). Where have I heard that before? His managerial record at club level is as follows:

Middlesbrough ... 38.80%
FC Twente ... 63.37%
VfL Wolfsburg ... 23.81%

My view is simply this: I've had enough of the old school, one size fits all approach to football. We need a dynamic manager who will get hold of the squad, tell them what's expected, both on and off the pitch, be tactically aware and give 100%. If SM ticks those boxes for you ... fine. But for me I wouldn't want him at City.

StT.

Just out of interest Steve who would you like to see get the job? Im not suggesting for one moment Maclaren is the best manager in the world, just saying he's far superior to a lot of names we are linked with and therefore we are more likely to get promoted with him. What other candidates have won what he has won, managed clubs successfully on a smaller budget, have great contacts in Europe and in the UK, and are actually available and desperately seeking work?

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:16 pm

i think get a youmg manager like hughton with fresh ideas about the game
who ever they get will tell us how serious of getting promotion next year ????
if they dont hurry it along there wont be any players available
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:19 pm

mind you a certain avram grant is lurking about hahaha

Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi Jimbo,

It's good to make contact. My feeling on this issue of a new manager is that I would prefer a younger track-suited coach type than our previous manager.

I think had the Malaysians come in a year earlier Jones wouldn't have been in charge this season. Personally I felt he was passed his sell-by date quite a while ago. With the previous scenario we could have got Gus Poyet (before his promotion with Brighton). Personally I'd be happy with di Matteo or Hughton.

The shocking collapse of the end of this last season meant that Martin O'Neill would now be virtually impossible to entice to a Champs club. My preferred choice, all along, has been Slaven Bilic (Croatian manager).

StT.