Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Brighton sign Will Buckley

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:52 pm

Surprised at that one, I think he's an outstanding player, would have loved him at Cardiff

I definitely thought he'd have been worth nearer the 3m mark than the 1m that Brighton have paid for him

Watford fans might be fearing relegation now though with their 2 best players, Buckley and Graham, leaving

Re: Brighton sign Will Buckley

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:56 pm

Surprised at the 1m aswell mate thought he was worth more than that although i've only seen him play twice this season didnt we kick lumps out of him when he came down here

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:57 pm

Daniel_PT_blues wrote:Surprised at the 1m aswell mate thought he was worth more than that although i've only seen him play twice this season didnt we kick lumps out of him when he came down here

Mackay claimed we kicked lumps out of him. He is a very good prospect and well worth the fee.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:13 pm

Watford have major money problems and I think a lot of their players have release clauses in their contracts so the £1m could be because of that. He was alright but £1m is still a fair amount for one player who has had one good season. I'd want to know I was getting guaranteed quality for £1m otherwise you might as well gamble on two League One stars for £500k.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:18 pm

I have to apologise as I posted about this as well, but I am absolutely staggered they're only letting him go for a million and I am gutted we have missed out with this one. Imagine if Brighton manage to sort Leon Jeanne out as well? They'll have the best 2 wingers in the Championship imo.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:38 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:01 pm

Daniel_PT_blues wrote:Surprised at the 1m aswell mate thought he was worth more than that although i've only seen him play twice this season didnt we kick lumps out of him when he came down here

i went to the away game at Watford this year, and his performance against us (and albeit Lee Naylor) was the single best performance ive seen by one player against City since Graham Dorrans for West Brom and, i hate to say it, Jordi Gomez for the Jacks when we drew 2-2 at Ninian Park

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:27 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I have to apologise as I posted about this as well, but I am absolutely staggered they're only letting him go for a million and I am gutted we have missed out with this one. Imagine if Brighton manage to sort Leon Jeanne out as well? They'll have the best 2 wingers in the Championship imo.

Leon jeanne ? You sure ?

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:30 pm

west street seagull wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I have to apologise as I posted about this as well, but I am absolutely staggered they're only letting him go for a million and I am gutted we have missed out with this one. Imagine if Brighton manage to sort Leon Jeanne out as well? They'll have the best 2 wingers in the Championship imo.

Leon jeanne ? You sure ?

you dont want him, trust me

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:33 pm

Fair play to Brighton. That's a fair transfer fee to pay for a team that has just been promoted.

Dark horses next season I think.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:34 pm

lets put an offer in for the watford manager. :lol:

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:38 pm

Leon jeanne ? You sure ?

Leon Jeanne is the most skillful footballer I have ever seen, and trust me, he has 10 times the skill of Taarabt etc. He is sorting himself out and if he knuckles down with Brighton, you'll have a Premiership player. Probably the most naturally gifted footballer I will ever see in my lifetime, such a shame he wasted the majority of his career but I wish him all the best at wherever he ends up. He has shown great character and toughness to get back to this level.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

Leon jeanne ? You sure ?

Leon Jeanne is the most skillful footballer I have ever seen, and trust me, he has 10 times the skill of Taarabt etc. He is sorting himself out and if he knuckles down with Brighton, you'll have a Premiership player. Probably the most naturally gifted footballer I will ever see in my lifetime, such a shame he wasted the majority of his career but I wish him all the best at wherever he ends up. He has shown great character and toughness to get back to this level.

i respectfully disagree

he WAS good, not great, but maybe in his prime could have been a very good Championship player

but then he had chance after chance with his drug problems and blew it

fair enough if hes sorted himself out now, then he deserves a second chance in football but all im saying is that in my opinion he wasnt good enough for the Premier League in his prime, let alone now in his 30s, after drug and weight problems

he may well be good enough for teams outside of the football league but i can almost guarantee that he will be made to look awful in any level above league 2 now, the Championship is no place for Leon Jeanne

ive got nothing against the bloke, if he proves me wrong and is good enough then good for him, i cant see it though, ive seen far more talented players at Cardiff in my time

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Quality signing fair play to them!

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:15 pm

hes a great player,should have walked into the championship best eleven side,if someone had told me to give a list of ten realistic players id want at city buckley would be in the top three,brighton have a cracking signing there and would not surprise me in the slightest if they do a norwich next season

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:50 pm

If Watford need to offload players how about Marvin Sordell?
Young striker, scores a few goals and has bags of pace n energy!

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:51 pm

englishbluebird wrote:hes a great player,should have walked into the championship best eleven side,if someone had told me to give a list of ten realistic players id want at city buckley would be in the top three,brighton have a cracking signing there and would not surprise me in the slightest if they do a norwich next season

have to agree watch out for them this season played some cracking stuff last season mite be mad to say looking forward to sein them play hope we beat them tho :lol:

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:50 pm

englishbluebird wrote:hes a great player,should have walked into the championship best eleven side,if someone had told me to give a list of ten realistic players id want at city buckley would be in the top three,brighton have a cracking signing there and would not surprise me in the slightest if they do a norwich next season

they'll definitely be mid-table ish in my opinion
cant see them doing a Norwich at all with the quality of the division this year, its more likely that Southampton might id say

havent Brighton just sold their top scorer to Palace too?

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:16 pm

i respectfully disagree

he WAS good, not great, but maybe in his prime could have been a very good Championship player

fair enough if hes sorted himself out now, then he deserves a second chance in football but all im saying is that in my opinion he wasnt good enough for the Premier League in his prime, let alone now in his 30s, after drug and weight problems

he may well be good enough for teams outside of the football league but i can almost guarantee that he will be made to look awful in any level above league 2 now, the Championship is no place for Leon Jeanne

ive got nothing against the bloke, if he proves me wrong and is good enough then good for him, i cant see it though, ive seen far more talented players at Cardiff in my time

I understand your point, but did any of us ever get to see Leon Jeanne in his prime? My opinion is in the short time I saw Leon Jeanne play, he produced flashes of individual brilliance that left my jaw to drop. I have never seen anyone with so much raw ability and I believe a player of his talent rarely comes along. I believe he could have gone all the way, even on the level of Messi and Ronaldo as I think he was just as skillful as them, just my opinion.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

i respectfully disagree

I understand your point, but did any of us ever get to see Leon Jeanne in his prime? My opinion is in the short time I saw Leon Jeanne play, he produced flashes of individual brilliance that left my jaw to drop. I have never seen anyone with so much raw ability and I believe a player of his talent rarely comes along. I believe he could have gone all the way, even on the level of Messi and Ronaldo as I think he was just as skillful as them, just my opinion.

hmmmm i dont think i'm ever gonna agree with a comparison between Leon Jeanne and Messi unfortunately aha, sorry

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:26 pm

In Peter croychs autobiography he said leon Jeanne is the most talented player he has ever seen, Craig Bellamy also holds him in very high regard ! If leon had kept himself together there is no doubt he would have been a top premier league player! There is a reason why Gerry Francis likened him to George best! If fit leon would walk this league, he's twenty times the player Jet is!!!

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:27 pm

scott_w_ccfc wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

i respectfully disagree

hmmmm i dont think i'm ever gonna agree with a comparison between Leon Jeanne and Messi unfortunately aha, sorry

I'm not comparing them, just saying Jeanne's raw ability was probably on a par with Messi's raw ability, the difference is Messi has spent his whole career being professional and as a result has kept improving to become the best player in the world. If Jeanne was professional his whole career like Messi, he could well have gone on to achieve great things like Messi. Unfortunately, we will never know how good Leon Jeanne could have become. If Leon Jeanne had applied himself correctly through his whole career, he could have been a superstar.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:In Peter croychs autobiography he said leon Jeanne is the most talented player he has ever seen, Craig Bellamy also holds him in very high regard ! If leon had kept himself together there is no doubt he would have been a top premier league player! There is a reason why Gerry Francis likened him to George best! If fit leon would walk this league, he's twenty times the player Jet is!!!

I totally agree with you mate and you are spot on. I managed him when he was 13 playing for Caer Castell FC Under 15's and I have never seen to this day such a naturally talented footballer as him but its a shame he went the way of the demon.
I hope he does make good use of, what I would call, his last chance.
Good luck Leon. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:35 pm

i just couldnt see it buddy sorry

we'll never know though will we, i guess, which is a shame

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:40 pm

tenerife_blu wrote:
Jimbo27 wrote:In Peter croychs autobiography he said leon Jeanne is the most talented player he has ever seen, Craig Bellamy also holds him in very high regard ! If leon had kept himself together there is no doubt he would have been a top premier league player! There is a reason why Gerry Francis likened him to George best! If fit leon would walk this league, he's twenty times the player Jet is!!!

I totally agree with you mate and you are spot on. I managed him when he was 13 playing for Caer Castell FC Under 15's and I have never seen to this day such a naturally talented footballer as him but its a shame he went the way of the demon.
I hope he does make good use of, what I would call, his last chance.
Good luck Leon. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Really? I use to play for pentwyn dynamos in the same age group! Jammo and Dale joined us from care castell eventually! Leon was a freak! Head and shoulders above everyone at that age group! When he was 14 Howard wilkinson let him train with the first team at Leeds! He's just pure raw talent!

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Really? I use to play for pentwyn dynamos in the same age group! Jammo and Dale joined us from care castell eventually! Leon was a freak! Head and shoulders above everyone at that age group! When he was 14 Howard wilkinson let him train with the first team at Leeds! He's just pure raw talent![/quote]

yes mate! :D Pentwyn Dynamos were awesome at that age group, I know Jammo and Dale too. Yes Leon was way above his age group hence why he played for under 15's at age 13 lol. I could watch him play all day and not get a bit bored, he truly was a great talant. I recall, if I'm not mistaken that he also signed junior forms for Norwich at that age. I say again it was a great shame to have seen him go the way he did, he would have been world class a long time ago.