Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

IF MARTIN O'NEILL.........

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:38 pm

Was given the job on £1.5m a year for 2 years and was given a £10m transfer kitty - WOULD he get Cardiff promoted?

If your answer is a resounding yes - Then what are the board waiting for?

At the end of the coming season, the promotion will be estimated to be worth £95-£100 million nicker!

MY guess is MON will require around £1.5m for the year which would be £29k a week. (bash his wages down to what Jones was on £20k a week) and pay him the other 9k x 52 if he gets us promoted?

£10m T/kitty would be enough in this division to get a championship team promoted in my opinion.

Even if your against MON's wages - and gave Hughton the job on £250k p/year, you'd still have to back him with a tidy transfer allowance.

Re: IF MARTIN O'NEILL.........

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:39 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Put like that and it makes a lot of sense. MO'N is the best manager around and his track record proves that. But I don't think our investors will take the risk, even considering their desire for prem football. I will be more than happy with Chris Hughton, BUT IF they do land MO'N what a statement of intent that would send, not just the championship this season, but our future in the top flight :shock:

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:22 pm

There are no guarantees in football and I think our Malaysians investors know that only too well after last season. Martin O'Neill is without doubt a very good football manager, however giving him a £10m transfer kitty does not mean that we would be certs to go up. The likes of West Ham, Birmingham, Middlesbrough, Leicester, Forest, Reading all have good managers and some of them will be spending big this season. If promotion to the promise land was as easy as giving Martin O'Neill £10m then every chairman would do it and recoup the £90m at the end of it!

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:35 pm

I disagree, not every chairman had billionaires on their board who are desperate for premiership football and the benefits of that advertising especially when you are hoping to acquire a gambling licence forth first Time in a countries history by 2013.

I really believe Martin O'neill and £10m will get us up - use that money wisely conbined with his contacts and free transfers and we could well be on the way ...

I think west ham will lose alot of quality players and our main threat will come from brum, reading, Leeds and Leicester next season....

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:48 pm

The point is, spending £1.5m on a managers wages, £10m on transfers and however much more on players wages, is a massive commitment regardless of how much money a club may have. Martin O'Neill could quite possibly achieve promotion based on your scenario, but then again he may not. Are our owners prepared to take that gamble? I dont think they are and thats why I think they will go for a different manager.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:49 pm

A definite yes!!! In fact when you put it like that it makes me think why aernt we doing this!!!

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Merlin wrote:I disagree, not every chairman had billionaires on their board who are desperate for premiership football and the benefits of that advertising especially when you are hoping to acquire a gambling licence forth first Time in a countries history by 2013.

I really believe Martin O'neill and £10m will get us up - use that money wisely conbined with his contacts and free transfers and we could well be on the way ...

I think west ham will lose alot of quality players and our main threat will come from brum, reading, Leeds and Leicester next season....

i agree 100% ... martin o`neill would be a dream of a manager! ... one send out one hell of a message too!

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:03 pm

IMO the malysians are so desperate for premier league football that if they don't get it this coming season then they will have to go all out for 2012/13 season. So why not just do it now? Think about it... Martin O'neill, Craig Bellamy, possible other malysians investors on board (Vincent tan is a clever man and I'll bet you he's already bringing others inboard!) the players we could attract with our setup would be a hell of alot better than what it is now! Also, notice how no other teams apart from fulham really have been talking about O'neill and how quiet he's been himself. Personally I think it's a better risk than the one we took last season!!!

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:19 pm

Also with £5m in s/t money, as well as (hopefully) Bellamy playing on a promotion based contract, possibly chopra going for at most £2m, bothroyds wages and the others that have left so far Plus jones' wages that have been freed up - we have funding don't we? I would bust a gut for O'neill ..... :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:35 pm

MON has a habit of walking when the going gets tough. Houghton all the way now :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:37 pm

Merlin wrote:Also with £5m in s/t money, as well as (hopefully) Bellamy playing on a promotion based contract, possibly chopra going for at most £2m, bothroyds wages and the others that have left so far Plus jones' wages that have been freed up - we have funding don't we? I would bust a gut for O'neill ..... :ayatollah:

Not much else to say mate but I totally agree with you.... Protest it is lol :D

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:44 pm

For me if the board want to make a true statement of intent and leave every other team in the league in envy and bricking themselves MON is the route we need to take.

I completely agree, 1.5m wages and 10m transfer would make that statement and we WILL have prem football in just over 12 months time.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:20 pm

MON was never going to happen, Real bad spin Doctoring from start, Dont be surprised to be surprised shortly!! :old:

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Leighton James Dont Like uS wrote:MON was never going to happen, Real bad spin Doctoring from start, Dont be surprised to be surprised shortly!! :old:

Personally I dont think it will happen - but that doesn't make it impossible - there are ways around everything in football!! :old:

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:58 pm

i ain't lost faith yet.......it will be absolutely amazing if we land the guy...

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:09 pm

Leicester must have thought the same when they got Sven. Hasn't helped them much though. Well not yet anyway

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:39 pm

But does the prospect of managing Cardiff City float his boat?? :o He's much more likely to go to a Prem club than to us surely? :?

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:45 pm

He's been out of football for a while though! Would he want to f**k up on the big stage straight away? Or take a challenge and push on from the division below - Knowing the malaysians will give him a bumper pay day after promotion? And a big kitty for the premier league.....

I agree it's a long shot, but we have to try and persuade him - if not, it's Hughton for me! :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:53 pm

MON is maybe the 5th or 6th best manager in the UK.

Not only would he take us up within a season, but he would also keep us in the Prem.

Crazy as it sounds, I think Kevin Keegan would do a great job here.

Did a great job with Newcastle Utd, Fulham and Man City.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:09 am

I dont think KK will feel what CCFC is all about? my opinion.....