Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: CHRIS HUGHTON HMMMM

Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:34 pm

He wouldn't have been my first choice but I think we could do a lot worse. Chris knows what it takes to get out of the Championship and when assembling his team, he will go for similar players to what he had at Newcastle. I think he will sign a team of battling players who will always give 100%. I doubt there will be many "pretty players" coming into the club. Chris will make us hard to beat and he isn't afraid to switch from 4-4-2 at home to 4-4-1-1 away.

He will want a Kevin Nolan type midfielder with an engine and can score goals. He will want a physical target man like Andy Carroll and a few thugs in midfield that can run their guts out, win tackles and rough them up like Bowyer, Barton, Butt, Guthrie and Smith. Also, he will definitely tighten us up defensively, when Newcastle walked the Championship how many clean sheets did they keep? Will he go for some of his old Newcastle players like Lee Bowyer, Leon Best and Wayne Routledge?

What I will say for Hughton is that he had so many arseholes to deal with at Newcastle, and he got them all playing for him, which suggests he has excellent man management skills. Will this mean he'll sort Chopra out and get him playing to his best again? Apart from the fact he is untested at another club and that's my only question mark about him, the rest of what Chris Hughton is all about is positive in my opinion.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:14 pm

If Hughton was to join, id like him to get alan smith down here, not a great player, but certainly not afraid to stick his boot in, or his gob for that matter! could you imagine him and bellamy in a dressing room when we are shit!! scary place to be :lol:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:16 pm

Interesting debate & slightly split. I'd say 60% in favour of Hughton & 40% against.

Who knows his first 'proper' job in management he may turn out to be a little gem........or?

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:16 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:Interesting debate & slightly split. I'd say 60% in favour of Hughton & 40% against.

Who knows his first 'proper' job in management he may turn out to be a little gem........or?

I hope so Stan, 51 yrs since we have been in the Top flight :shock:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:I'm undecided on this one if I'm honest.

In my opinion CH has got very little credentials as a manager. He managed a Newcastle team with a better quality bunch of players than Cardiff & QPR have got now so to use them as an example wouldn't be valid.

He is known to be an excellent coach & when interviewed comes across as a knowledgeable guy. I've actually met Chris a few times through mutual friends & he is a genuinely nice fella & a football man.

My problem if I was a CCFC fan would be after failing for 6 years with a manager on massive money the next appointment was going to have to be absolutely 1000000% spot on with regards to an experienced, tried & tested gaffer to get you up, someone who knows the second tier well & someone with nous with regards to buying & selling the right players to get you up & I really feel Chris Hughton really is not that man.

He is an up & coming manager with POTENTIAL no doubt but for me not the right option. By all accounts he wanted the Crystal Palace job & was overlooked for Dougie Freedman that says it all to me.

Not wishing to put a downer on things at all lads I just feel a club of your size really should have gone for the tried & tested route rather than what I'd say was a gamble on a manager who had a spell at a club with Premiership players.

If its Hughton I wish him & yourselves the very best of luck for the coming season. :ayatollah:

I have to say I agree with you, Martin O'Neil or Allerdyce would have been my choice, Di Matteo and Hughton could be good but are a big risk IMO.

On the positive side both are young so we can expect a more modern approach, Hughton at least plays a differnt formation away, and Di Matteo will play a different system to what we have become used to....

Time will tell, I am looking forward to the new season now :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Stan-QPR wrote:Interesting debate & slightly split. I'd say 60% in favour of Hughton & 40% against.

Well at least you've seen them in the top flight mate unlike many others :lol: :lol:

Bluebina-As you say Hughton has a plan B & is tactically very aware so on that front I think its a massive positive add to that he's a good guy motivation & man management is another massive plus but the experience in general & especially lack of it in the Championship is a niggling doubt for me. Also as I mentioned earlier giving him the responsibility (which the owners will have to) to buy & sell players is a gamble also. An old head like Warnock for example know how to use that market inside out I'm not sure Chris Hughton does. I don't agree with the director of football shit that clubs use but I honestly think someone working in tandem with Hughton to help him acquire the players he wants would help you out no end. I know you may laugh & I'm not putting his name forward but just as an example someone like Terry Venables, Gerry Francis (I know he's at Stoke) David Pleat would be perfect for that role & would take lots of pressure off the manager who can concentrate on the first team.

Just my opinion for what its worth. :lol:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Well at least you've seen them in the top flight mate unlike many others :lol: :lol:

Bluebina-As you say Hughton has a plan B & is tactically very aware so on that front I think its a massive positive add to that he's a good guy motivation & man management is another massive plus but the experience in general & especially lack of it in the Championship is a niggling doubt for me. Also as I mentioned earlier giving him the responsibility (which the owners will have to) to buy & sell players is a gamble also. An old head like Warnock for example know how to use that market inside out I'm not sure Chris Hughton does. I don't agree with the director of football shit that clubs use but I honestly think someone working in tandem with Hughton to help him acquire the players he wants would help you out no end. I know you may laugh & I'm not putting his name forward but just as an example someone like Terry Venables, Gerry Francis (I know he's at Stoke) David Pleat would be perfect for that role & would take lots of pressure off the manager who can concentrate on the first team.

Just my opinion for what its worth. :lol:

:lol:

Cheers Stan :lol: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:47 am

He was shite in the tranfer market. Pearch and Campell were shocking! The board signed Chiek!

He had a defence worth over 20 million of transfer fees.

Joey Barton was £75,000 a week.

Nolan and Smith were on £100,000 between them.

He had Andy Carroll.

Taking all that into account he did a good job getting Newcastle back into the Prem?

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:50 am

And he got SACKED by Newcastle Utd because Ashley did not think he was up to the job!

The story is that Barton and Nolan pulled the strings and got the players playing well.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:52 am

IsThatUJohnWayne wrote:If Hughton was to join, id like him to get alan smith down here, not a great player, but certainly not afraid to stick his boot in, or his gob for that matter! could you imagine him and bellamy in a dressing room when we are shit!! scary place to be :lol:

His contact runs out this summer.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:10 am

Citysince1964 wrote:A really poor choice in my opinion. No where near as good as Dave Jones. Hope I am proved wrong. The likes of Curbishley and Di Matteo are also no where near as good as Dave Jones. I said all along that the Dave Jones out brigade should be careful what they wish for.

Tell me what Dave Jones did here when he had a squad far better than anyone else's
in the Championship. He blew it.

DJ is a bottler

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:21 am

DJ wouldn't be fit to lace Alan Curbishley's shoes in my opinion.

Taffy what's you honest take on Chris Hughton should he turn out to be the new man at the helm?

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:12 am

Hughton didn't just take Newcastle up but put them in a very comfortable position within the Premier League when he was stupidly sacked. He also brought on youngsters like Carroll and got the best out of them.

He also turned around a club which was in turnmoil after being relegated with that idiot Shearer in charge and stabled it. If Di Matteo got the job I wouldn't be disappointed, but if I had a choice Houghton would get it hands down because he just what this club needs.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:43 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Hughton didn't just take Newcastle up but put them in a very comfortable position within the Premier League when he was stupidly sacked. He also brought on youngsters like Carroll and got the best out of them.

He also turned around a club which was in turnmoil after being relegated with that idiot Shearer in charge and stabled it. If Di Matteo got the job I wouldn't be disappointed, but if I had a choice Houghton would get it hands down because he just what this club needs.

The Hughton sacking was a bubble waiting to be pricked. Did he not get the sack when they went on a bad run of 5 loses or something? Agreed they were comfortable placed in the premier but you always felt the board were looking for any excuse to get rid of him.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:44 am

Houghton was given a job running the first team after they sacked Keegan and he didn't do well. That was why Shearer was brought in.

The squad he had to work with when he took Newcastle up:

Fabricio Coloccini - 10 million and £50,000 a week.

Jonás Gutiérrez - 6 million

José Enrique - 6 million

Alan Smith - 6 million and £50,000

Joey Barton - 6 million and £75,000

Kevin Nolan - 4 million and £50,000 a week

Ryan Taylor - £50,000

Steve Harper, Steve Taylor, Shola Ameobi were all on £30,000 a week. I could go on..........

Makes us look cheap doesn't it. No wonder DJ couldn't get take us up.

And his signings were very poor and cost Newcastle a lot of points.

Hughton FAILED after Keegan left!

Hughton FAILED in the transfer market! - WE DON'T HAVE A SQUAD!

Many give Nolan and Barton credit for getting the players to start playing again!

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:47 am

No, they beat Liverpool 3:0 in the next game after they sacked him.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:No, they beat Liverpool 3:0 in the next game after they sacked him.

:lol:

Got that wrong then.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:24 pm

Keegan would do a better job than Hughton.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:56 pm

What if man united sai that about fergie eh? Yes he had done decent ins cotland but he wasnt well known either and look at them now i say give him a chance

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:04 pm

TBH I don't care who we get out of CH, RDM or anyone else as it spells the beginning for change.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:14 pm

Don't forget he bought the goal machine legend that is Leon Best from Coventry for £2m!!

That's what I'm saying about letting him loose with cash. Disaster waiting to happen in my book & needs help & experience in that department.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:Don't forget he bought the goal machine legend that is Leon Best from Coventry for £2m!!

That's what I'm saying about letting him loose with cash. Disaster waiting to happen in my book & needs help & experience in that department.

Hold on, I remember Best having a good scoring run during last season :? After Carroll was sold ?

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:36 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Stan-QPR wrote:Don't forget he bought the goal machine legend that is Leon Best from Coventry for £2m!!

Hold on, I remember Best having a good scoring run during last season :? After Carroll was sold ?

Scored a hat trick in 1 game.

Check the rest of his scoring history for confirmation.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm

6 in 24 at Newcastle & 19 in 92 for Coventry. Poor return at Championship level.