Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CHRIS HUGHTON HMMMM

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:46 am

I'm undecided on this one if I'm honest.

In my opinion CH has got very little credentials as a manager. He managed a Newcastle team with a better quality bunch of players than Cardiff & QPR have got now so to use them as an example wouldn't be valid.

He is known to be an excellent coach & when interviewed comes across as a knowledgeable guy. I've actually met Chris a few times through mutual friends & he is a genuinely nice fella & a football man.

My problem if I was a CCFC fan would be after failing for 6 years with a manager on massive money the next appointment was going to have to be absolutely 1000000% spot on with regards to an experienced, tried & tested gaffer to get you up, someone who knows the second tier well & someone with nous with regards to buying & selling the right players to get you up & I really feel Chris Hughton really is not that man.

He is an up & coming manager with POTENTIAL no doubt but for me not the right option. By all accounts he wanted the Crystal Palace job & was overlooked for Dougie Freedman that says it all to me.

Not wishing to put a downer on things at all lads I just feel a club of your size really should have gone for the tried & tested route rather than what I'd say was a gamble on a manager who had a spell at a club with Premiership players.

If its Hughton I wish him & yourselves the very best of luck for the coming season. :ayatollah:

Re: CHRIS HUGHTON HMMMM

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:49 am

That's exactly as I see it Stan! Top post

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:50 am

Stan-QPR wrote:

My problem if I was a CCFC fan would be after failing for 6 years with a manager on massive money the next appointment was going to have to be absolutely 1000000% spot on with regards to an experienced, tried & tested gaffer to get you up, someone who knows the second tier well & someone with nous with regards to buying & selling the right players to get you up & I really feel Chris Hughton really is not that man.

Sounds like your describing Warnock there Stan :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whats the latest gossip on his position. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:57 am

Definitely had Warnock in my mind as I wrote that Castle but as we all know theirs not many Neil Warnocks about but after hearing you had what was it 20 plus applications for the job? Chris Hughton being at the top surprises me.

Warnock is actively pursuing targets. Bernie is 100% on his side & will back him when needed. Don't listen to the media its typical Warnock playing down everything so we don't get ripped off. He's the master at that.

Cheers Jimbo lad.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:58 am

Top post, Roberto Di Matteo for me every time

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:I'm undecided on this one if I'm honest.

In my opinion CH has got very little credentials as a manager. He managed a Newcastle team with a better quality bunch of players than Cardiff & QPR have got now so to use them as an example wouldn't be valid.

He is known to be an excellent coach & when interviewed comes across as a knowledgeable guy. I've actually met Chris a few times through mutual friends & he is a genuinely nice fella & a football man.

He is an up & coming manager with POTENTIAL no doubt but for me not the right option. By all accounts he wanted the Crystal Palace job & was overlooked for Dougie Freedman that says it all to me.

Not wishing to put a downer on things at all lads I just feel a club of your size really should have gone for the tried & tested route rather than what I'd say was a gamble on a manager who had a spell at a club with Premiership players.

If its Hughton I wish him & yourselves the very best of luck for the coming season. :ayatollah:

wasnt he also an assistant for quite a while? he couldve learned his trait from there :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:17 pm

A really poor choice in my opinion. No where near as good as Dave Jones. Hope I am proved wrong. The likes of Curbishley and Di Matteo are also no where near as good as Dave Jones. I said all along that the Dave Jones out brigade should be careful what they wish for.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:17 pm

Ive posted similar sentiments to these before, Newcastle would have got promoted with the tea lay running it with the squad and resources they had at their disposal. :D

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:22 pm

For me the only two choices who are as close to sure things as you can get are Martin O'Neill and Neil Warnock but is too big time for us in my opinion and the other is unavailable.

After those two there is a group of slight gambles but ones who I wouldn't really have a problem with. Chris Hughton, Mark Hughes and Roberto Di Matteo.

So long as it isn't Mark Robbins, Neal Ardley or Terry Burton I am confident whoever comes in will do a job. It might take 1-2 years to settle mind.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:23 pm

Stan, until now always agreed on everyone of your posts on this one I have to disagree. To take Newcastle up at the first attempt, with 50,000 Passionate Fans DEMANDING IMMEDIATE SUCCESS, TO ME THAT IS PRESSURE AT THE HIGHEST and HE DID IT, THEN WAS SACKED WHEN NEWCASTLE WERE ABOUT 10th or 12th in the Premiership.

I would DEF Back him if he gets the job :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:31 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Stan, until now always agreed on everyone of your posts on this one I have to disagree. To take Newcastle up at the first attempt, with 50,000 Passionate Fans DEMANDING IMMEDIATE SUCCESS, TO ME THAT IS PRESSURE AT THE HIGHEST and HE DID IT, THEN WAS SACKED WHEN NEWCASTLE WERE ABOUT 10th or 12th in the Premiership.

whilst I agree he did have a premiership squad already there. He will need to come here and start from scratch and build a new side. Something he hasn't shown yet.

A gamble in my opinion

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:32 pm

Stan, you said it yourself in your post"young and up and coming"."regarded highly within the game as a top coach". As a few posters have hinted at already, I doubt very much that he'd come here on the premise of a shoestring budget. He's played and coached at the highest level in England, and if he gets the nod, I trust our owners and advisors implicitly. The guy is a winner

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:33 pm

Cardiff Crazy wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Stan, until now always agreed on everyone of your posts on this one I have to disagree. To take Newcastle up at the first attempt, with 50,000 Passionate Fans DEMANDING IMMEDIATE SUCCESS, TO ME THAT IS PRESSURE AT THE HIGHEST and HE DID IT, THEN WAS SACKED WHEN NEWCASTLE WERE ABOUT 10th or 12th in the Premiership.

whilst I agree he did have a premiership squad already there. He will need to come here and start from scratch and build a new side. Something he hasn't shown yet.

A gamble in my opinion

Yes, I agree, he was never my first choice, but if he gets the job, 100% behind him :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:35 pm

The job he at Newcastle was solid, it could have easily went wrong but he did have the core of an amazing squad.

Im not overally fussed on him but he deserves a chance if appointed and would get my support.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:35 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Yes, I agree, he was never my first choice, but if he gets the job, 100% behind him :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

To be fair you would be 100% behind any manager that isn't DJ :lol: :lol:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:36 pm

Citysince1964 wrote:A really poor choice in my opinion. No where near as good as Dave Jones. Hope I am proved wrong. The likes of Curbishley and Di Matteo are also no where near as good as Dave Jones. I said all along that the Dave Jones out brigade should be careful what they wish for.

I'm sorry, I've always been a supporter of DJ as Annis will tell you.

But Curbishly has a better record than Dave

Kept Charlton in the top flight for six years and look where they are now

Kept West Ham up.

Known to be good with yng players and also with players bought cheaply who have done well.

And just as I have criticised people who keep on about the Jones in Brigade/ mod It annoys me equally when people spout this stupid Jones Out Bridade stuff

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:38 pm

I think that Mark Robbins will get the job... Would be a good choice IMO. We need a manager who knows the championship well and can get players in cheaply, Mr Robbins is very good at that.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:41 pm

i think it will be hughton to be honest and i see it as a major gamble,id much prefer curbishley or even o driscoll i really rate him as a top manager

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:44 pm

Cardiff Crazy wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

To be fair you would be 100% behind any manager that isn't DJ :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

True :oops:
:lol: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:47 pm

i just hope whoever it is that there isnt a minority that get all negative if we havnt brought in the manager they want

we need the back whoever it is, 110%

it may take more than a season to settle but who cares

a new era is dawning and for one, im excited!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:09 pm

i would be very happy if its hughton
all this talk saying that their dog could of got that Newcastle team promoted is rubbish,
look at our team last year, we should of walked the league, but we didnt.
I think Hughton will bring a lot of top level experiance with him, sort out our defencand I back him to do a good job
Hope he allowed to make his own choice of backroom staff

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:15 pm

I personally would prefer Curbishley but wont be too disapointed if Hughton ends up with the job :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:23 pm

Annis - don't you think that right now we need a manager with experience of building a squad ? We are down to the bare bones and I feel a large part if hughtons success was he had a good squad in place already! I like the man and he did what he was asked to do at Newcastle but where we are right now I think he could be the wrong appointment! It's way too much of a risk for my liking, he could come good but I have a bad feeling about it!

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:29 pm

If he smiles a least once and says "Yes, as this is an important match, we'll need to raise our game", then he's OK in my books :)

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:35 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:

Annis - don't you think that right now we need a manager with experience of building a squad ? We are down to the bare bones and I feel a large part if hughtons success was he had a good squad in place already! I like the man and he did what he was asked to do at Newcastle but where we are right now I think he could be the wrong appointment! It's way too much of a risk for my liking, he could come good but I have a bad feeling about it!

Hughton, has plenty of contacts, mixed with all the right people. Took on massive pressure at Newcastle. Gives his all. I would back him. Still eager for success and to me Newcastle Fans are loyal but tough people to win over and he won them over :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:42 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Jimbo27 wrote:

Hughton, has plenty of contacts, mixed with all the right people. Took on massive pressure at Newcastle. Gives his all. I would back him. Still eager for success and to me Newcastle Fans are loyal but tough people to win over and he won them over :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I agree, he's very capable and keen to succeed too. I think he would be great for us :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:47 pm

- don't you think that right now we need a manager with experience of building a squad ? We are down to the bare bones and I feel a large part if hughtons success was he had a good squad in place already! I like the man and he did what he was asked to do at Newcastle but where we are right now I think he could be the wrong appointment! It's way too much of a risk for my liking, he could come good but I have a bad feeling about it![/quote]

Hughton, has plenty of contacts, mixed with all the right people. Took on massive pressure at Newcastle. Gives his all. I would back him. Still eager for success and to me Newcastle Fans are loyal but tough people to win over and he won them over :ayatollah: :ayatollah:[/quote]

I'll back anyone who's not Dave jones and I would give him my full support but he has 18 months managerial experience and no experience whatsoever of building a squad! He did well at Newcastle granted but I just feel it's too big a risk and there is better available! He is however a top bloke and will make a refreshing change from dj!

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:29 pm

id back him 100 % and im sure fans will realise it might take at least a season to establish a new era,im really looking forward to the 12th man coming into play something dave jones couldnt tap into unfortunately

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:30 pm

Annis I fully agree. If CH turns out to be your new boss he 100% deserves the fans support as he is a stand up honest gaffer.

My only negative is the experience. Don't think you can afford to f**k this massive appointment up. Geordies are tough supporters but let's be honest you lads are hardly gonna remain silent if things are not going to plan.

A lot will depend on who he is allowed to bring in & how much funds he will have to play with as your squad is now weak, a lot weaker obviously than last season.

Again I reiterate I wish him well I like the guy.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:48 pm

HE ALSO SANCTIONED THE TRANSFER OF HATEM BEN ARFA.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Also, another difference is, if players dont perform under Hughton he'll not be afraid to make changes. He plays with a solid formation where everyone knows their job. If they dont put a shift in, they get taken off.