Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Adam Matthews comments

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Few minutes ago - taken off the live transfer window on yahoo.
I thought he went as a free agent for the money and no the club.

Eurosport: CELTIC: Teenage right-back Adam Matthews, 19, has signed a four-year deal at Celtic after leaving Cardiff on a free. "I just think it's the size of the club and the supporters," said Matthews.

"They have a massive fan base all over the world. They are one of the biggest clubs in the world, so that was the main factor.

"They are the second most supported team in the world so it was a no-brainer.

"Any player would love to play for them. I don't think anyone could turn down the chance to play for them."

Re: Adam Matthews comments

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:13 pm

Thinly veiled "my aspirations don't amount to much" comments imo.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Anybody know the compensation fee we got for him ?

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:19 pm

A couple of hundred thousand wasn't it?

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:22 pm

hes right.

we should have kept him but Jones forced him out and now all we can hope is that he scores against Swansea in the CL the season after next.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:23 pm

jamesbarnett91 wrote:hes right.

we should have kept him but Jones forced him out and now all we can hope is that he scores against Swansea in the CL the season after next.

I suspect the reason for leaving was more to do with his agent chasing a nice fat fee for himself. He's not good enough yet, won't play for celtic much next year and I'd be surprised if he was on more than he was offered here.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:40 pm

He was a player for the future, would have been a great addition to our squad this season if given a good run of games. :(

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:49 pm

MalagaCF wrote:He was a player for the future, would have been a great addition to our squad this season if given a good run of games. :(

So, was he a player for the future or should he have been given a run of games this season?

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:55 pm

bornsurvivor wrote:
MalagaCF wrote:He was a player for the future, would have been a great addition to our squad this season if given a good run of games. :(

So, was he a player for the future or should he have been given a run of games this season?

When he had a good run of games under Jones - he looked class. Unfortunately Jones then only gave him the odd game as a sub.
He is a young player for the future and should have been given a good run of games - He coped well in the championship when he played regular, So the answer is both.