Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Untapped potential of DJ's era: 12th Man "

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:04 pm

I hope the findings of the post season review conducted by the board are presented to our new boss, and more importantly I hope DJ's awful relationship with the fans (which was culturally cascaded to the players) was a major factor highlighted in the report, as our new boss certainly has a goldmine of opportunity that was arrogantly ignored by the previous regime dictated by DJ.

DJ's arrogance and point blank refusal to acknowledge or appreciate the positive impact our passionate & knowledgable fan base frequently contributed eventually led to his demise imo. His failure to make any effort in this regard within the media or any other medium proved counter productive and essentially pushed us away from him (as a notable majority) - this denied the club of the unity required to climb out of the hell hole that is the Championship and proceed in unison.

When considering DJ's remaining attributes as a football manager I doubt we've had any better. i don't beleive Lennie Lawrences'; or Eddie May's etc etc abilities to manage a club came close to what DJ can offer, but what the aforementioned were intelligent enough to do was get us - one of the most passionate sets of supporters in Britain - behind them. Tactics, or individual players alone didnt see us get through the divisions. It was ultimately Sam's knowledge of what a destructive machine can be created when we're all on board - this is evidenced in countless individual matches that can be called upon e.g. Leeds at home in the FA Cup.

The proof was in the pudding this season when we heard countless and consistent boos from our own support when we were 2nd n the league. Sounds crazy in hindsight, but it all stems from the culture and attitude/ approach from one man who acquired so much power in his reign his sombre and passionless personality was tattooed over all aspects of the club.

I cannot wait to see if our new fella at the helm is able to unite us all, via having a genuine affection for a massive group of unrivalled supporters who will undoubtedly worship him if the affection is mirrored. When that unity is established our new team of brand new players and staff will feel the weighted push of a huge 12th man, and with a balanced level of experience and skill will create imo an unstoppable force for the Championship.

We've shown we can be nearly within touching distance totally fragmented in the dressing room, stands and management - imagine how far we could get as one...we can only pin our faith in the Malaysians/ board to have this as a pivotal factor in their decision making accompanied with the obvious remaining attributes and I believe we'll have a summer of genuine optimism...

BLUEBIRDS!!!!!!!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " Untapped potential of DJ's era: 12th Man "

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:12 pm

I agree one of DJ's biggest disappoints was a lack of respect for us the fans.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:12 pm

Fantastic post Jon and Dave Jones is in my memory the only ever Manager to Never appreciate OUR FANTASTIC SUPPORTERS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:15 pm

Sacking Jones will all be for nothing if we get a manager with the same type of attitude towards us fans.

We need a man who will come in, and let everyone (including the owners) know the importance of fans, and the support that we as Cardiff City fans can deliver above other clubs fans

Good post mate :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:18 pm

carlccfc wrote:I agree one of DJ's biggest disappoints was a lack of respect for us the fans.

the only guy he ever respected in his time here and of course in this part of the world was the greenkeeper down the vale

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:24 pm

steve davies wrote:
carlccfc wrote:I agree one of DJ's biggest disappoints was a lack of respect for us the fans.

the only guy he ever respected in his time here and of course in this part of the world was the greenkeeper down the vale

Steve without doubt Spot on, I am not sure he knew where the training ground was.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:27 pm

Good post mate,heres hoping :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:31 pm

I thought I;'d said something to piss someone off and that this message was directed at me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nail & Head as far as I'm concerned! Haven't felt that connection with the players for a long time now!

Loved seeing Billy Davies push his way through Jacks fans at the end of the playoff semi final to salute the Forest fans. I don't like Billy, but would love a manager to do that sort of thing.

Out support is shit at the moment, but its the culture at the club and you've got to lead from the front as manager!!!

Well said Jon!!!

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:38 pm

12thMan wrote:I thought I;'d said something to piss someone off and that this message was directed at me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nail & Head as far as I'm concerned! Haven't felt that connection with the players for a long time now!

Loved seeing Billy Davies push his way through Jacks fans at the end of the playoff semi final to salute the Forest fans. I don't like Billy, but would love a manager to do that sort of thing.

Out support is shit at the moment, but its the culture at the club and you've got to lead from the front as manager!!!

Well said Jon!!!

Agree completly. New manager needs to come in and tell anyone that matters 'this is how it's gonna be, we need the fans at all cost to support us vocifirously, etc'. Hopefully it will happen

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:52 pm

I don't need a manager to thank me for doing what I feel I'm obliged to do in supporting the team. I know full well that I'm somewhat vocal in the stands (when I don't lose my f*cking voice that is :evil: ).

Manager, win the games. Supporters, stand up and sing. Players, play to the death and give it all you've got. That's how football works for me.

For what it's worth I can't count the amount of interviews post-match I distinctly remember Dave saying "The fans were terrific out there, but y'know, they always are" and something of that ilk. Maybe you want them in the stands with us?

I've never understood it myself but hey ho.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Great post, despite his "success" I genuinely hated him!

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:05 pm

The guys legacy here will be "Massive failure".

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:Great post, despite his "success" I genuinely hated him!

It's quite depressing that any human being can say that they "genuinely hated" another human being that they didn't know personally.

Fair enough if you didn't like the way the guy came across in his interviews, but I sincerely doubt you "genuinely hated" him.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:28 pm

strange how so little could have please so many.
yet davey boy chose to use it against himself rather than to his advantage

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:37 pm

JonScam wrote:I hope the findings of the post season review conducted by the board are presented to our new boss, and more importantly I hope DJ's awful relationship with the fans (which was culturally cascaded to the players) was a major factor highlighted in the report, as our new boss certainly has a goldmine of opportunity that was arrogantly ignored by the previous regime dictated by DJ.

DJ's arrogance and point blank refusal to acknowledge or appreciate the positive impact our passionate & knowledgable fan base frequently contributed eventually led to his demise imo. His failure to make any effort in this regard within the media or any other medium proved counter productive and essentially pushed us away from him (as a notable majority) - this denied the club of the unity required to climb out of the hell hole that is the Championship and proceed in unison.

When considering DJ's remaining attributes as a football manager I doubt we've had any better. i don't beleive Lennie Lawrences'; or Eddie May's etc etc abilities to manage a club came close to what DJ can offer, but what the aforementioned were intelligent enough to do was get us - one of the most passionate sets of supporters in Britain - behind them. Tactics, or individual players alone didnt see us get through the divisions. It was ultimately Sam's knowledge of what a destructive machine can be created when we're all on board - this is evidenced in countless individual matches that can be called upon e.g. Leeds at home in the FA Cup.

The proof was in the pudding this season when we heard countless and consistent boos from our own support when we were 2nd n the league. Sounds crazy in hindsight, but it all stems from the culture and attitude/ approach from one man who acquired so much power in his reign his sombre and passionless personality was tattooed over all aspects of the club.

I cannot wait to see if our new fella at the helm is able to unite us all, via having a genuine affection for a massive group of unrivalled supporters who will undoubtedly worship him if the affection is mirrored. When that unity is established our new team of brand new players and staff will feel the weighted push of a huge 12th man, and with a balanced level of experience and skill will create imo an unstoppable force for the Championship.

We've shown we can be nearly within touching distance totally fragmented in the dressing room, stands and management - imagine how far we could get as one...we can only pin our faith in the Malaysians/ board to have this as a pivotal factor in their decision making accompanied with the obvious remaining attributes and I believe we'll have a summer of genuine optimism...

BLUEBIRDS!!!!!!!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I must admit that is a BRILLIANT POST, and spot on, somehow we never had nearly as much influence on the games as we used to have. maybe though it is partly due to the new Stadium and the New fans, who are different and quieter ????

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:41 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Sacking Jones will all be for nothing if we get a manager with the same type of attitude towards us fans.

We need a man who will come in, and let everyone (including the owners) know the importance of fans, and the support that we as Cardiff City fans can deliver above other clubs fans

Good post mate :ayatollah:

Impossible

Whoever is next in the hot seat will know about Jones' non-relationship with the
fans and we will be the first buggers he tries to win over. Wont be difficult like...
a simple Hello will outshine anything that miserable tw*t Jones ever did :lol: :lol:

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:05 am

As soon as the 'DJ cloud' was lifted from our club i felt immediate genuine optimism for the new campaign. You have to commend the Malaysians also on their decisiveness and foresight to buck the trend and act with conviction. The names being touted about as DJ's replacement are undoubtedly a testament as to where he got us, but he has an ability and personality brick wall( in getting over the line) the size of the great wall in China! :D

The lack of footballing experience in the hiring team is not concerning me too much either as you can place a sizeable bet on it that Bellers will be involved at some level in that process, I would hope anyways.

Onwards and upwards :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:12 am

Spot on....

Neil Warnock appreciated us fans more during the Dave Jones era :ayatollah:

Still think Warnock and Cardiff would make a fantastic match, go and get him :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:38 am

Forever Blue wrote:Fantastic post Jon and Dave Jones is in my memory the only ever Manager to Never appreciate OUR FANTASTIC SUPPORTERS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Not good enough in THIS NECK OF THE WOODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :old:

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:23 am

It's a strange on because having met Dave Jones and having spoke to someone who did a lot of work at his home in the Vale he actually came over as a likeable person with a real sense of humour but he rarely conveyed this to the fans and his comments about 'people in this part of the world' really alienated him from the fans.

Personally i think his downfall was he raised our expectations to the point where we expected and demanded promotion but then he failed to deliver :(

With regard to the next Manager it would certainly help if he 'connected' with the fans and we foster the same sort of spirit and committment between fans and players that took QPR, Norwich and The Jerks :( all the way this season.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Leaving aside his failure to achieve promotion for me the two things which ultimately led to his downfall were the failure to even acknowledge our fantastic supporters after we had given the passionate vocal backing to his team home and away and his total lack of understanding as to the importance of the local derbies.

I really hope our next Manager shows us fans some respect and recognises that we are the most passionate, loyal and committed fans of ANY club. WE gave everything to the cause last season and we were ultimately let down but we will still be there in our numbers no matter what the future brings because we live for Cardiff City F.C. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: