Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Question for those in favour of Hammams return

Wed May 25, 2011 5:41 pm

As some of you will be aware I am pretty against Sam returning but as you know, to form a solid opinion you need to know reasons for and against something. So 2 questions that the people who want the return could answer...

Number1:Bakers question, Now you have banned him for taking the piss, which is fair enough but he is asking a reasonable question that should be answered. What will Hammam bring that The Malaysians cannot?

Number2: Being that Sam has been out of football for what 5-6 years? The big plus point to many for Sam is his 'football knowledge'. Is this outdated?. 5-6 years is a long time in football.

This is not a snipe, these are genuine questions to get an opinion on this saga.

Thanks
:ayatollah:

Re: Question for those in favour of Hammams return

Wed May 25, 2011 5:51 pm

Whatever you feel about Hammam he is full of passion and full of passion for this club. Whatever his accounting misdemeanors I genuinely feel he had the best interest of the club and more importantly the fans at heart.

The fact is simple, keep him away from the books and the money and let him assist in rallying the players and the fans which I'm sure you would agree is something none of the current regime do :ayatollah:

Just an opinion :sleepy4:

Wed May 25, 2011 5:57 pm

Nathan Walker wrote:As some of you will be aware I am pretty against Sam returning but as you know, to form a solid opinion you need to know reasons for and against something. So 2 questions that the people who want the return could answer...

Number1:Bakers question, Now you have banned him for taking the piss, which is fair enough but he is asking a reasonable question that should be answered. What will Hammam bring that The Malaysians cannot?

Number2: Being that Sam has been out of football for what 5-6 years? The big plus point to many for Sam is his 'football knowledge'. Is this outdated?. 5-6 years is a long time in football.

This is not a snipe, these are genuine questions to get an opinion on this saga.

Thanks

1. A link between the manager and coaching staff(whoever they may be) which will create a cohesion that I believe is missing right now. Also, the obvious thing about footballing knowledge (which I will touch upon in point 2), as well as proven experience of owning and running two football clubs - and a track record of playing an active, hands on role in the football club that has benefitted us in the past, and seems to be missing now (e.g. being able to work hands on with Earnie, scouting youth players). And the fact he understands the importance of the fanbase, including to crucial role of crowd support.

2. Some of these bits of knowledge are things that never go out of date - being able to understand an individual player, identify his weaknesses and help him to improve is one of them. Also, he would still have numerous contacts in football, as well as having taken a keen interest in football at all levels. Also, he seemingly watches or listens to all of our matches, and has identified deficiencies etc.

I will leave it to others to improve on what I've said - mine is only a brief summary, and I know I've missed tonnes.

Wed May 25, 2011 5:57 pm

He as watched more football over the last few years than you or I.
As for what will he bring, how old are you and Baker, can you look back past the year 2000,the man has never been in charge of a club that got relegated, he has taken a team from the fourth division u up into the prem for ten years with a home based crowd of around 6,000 and kept them in the top half for the majority of thata time, he had 2 promotions in 4 seasons with us and we won a play off final, and you ask what does he bring. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed May 25, 2011 6:02 pm

01443casual wrote:Whatever you feel about Hammam he is full of passion and full of passion for this club. Whatever his accounting misdemeanors I genuinely feel he had the best interest of the club and more importantly the fans at heart.

The fact is simple, keep him away from the books and the money and let him assist in rallying the players and the fans which I'm sure you would agree is something none of the current regime do :ayatollah:

Just an opinion :sleepy4:

without pointing out the obvious, so am I, so are you, so are 20,000+ people. doesn't mean i'd want them on the board

i'm not sure how good a job he'd do at this right now, thing's are pretty even on the messageboards i reckon, but i think many fans not on here simply think of the problems & danger he caused to the club after he left. i don't think the majority of fans would be keen on him coming back. even if they accept him coming back on the board as a token gesture, i very much doubt he'll be able to rally the fans like he once did

Wed May 25, 2011 6:06 pm

BigGwynram wrote:He as watched more football over the last few years than you or I.
As for what will he bring, how old are you and Baker, can you look back past the year 2000,the man has never been in charge of a club that got relegated, he has taken a team from the fourth division u up into the prem for ten years with a home based crowd of around 6,000 and kept them in the top half for the majority of thata time, he had 2 promotions in 4 seasons with us and we won a play off final, and you ask what does he bring. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why do you feel the need to patronise and belittle people when giving an answer? If you had a bit of class like Tyler below you would just put an answer straight and not patronise people about age etc.

Wed May 25, 2011 6:11 pm

and he put bobby gould and alan cork in charge and gave him an open cheque book which he paid well over the odds for a lot of shit players which we are still paying for now even though sam has well gone, and remember 1 day liverpool man utd chelsea etc will be our feeder clubs :lol:

Wed May 25, 2011 6:12 pm

Nathan Walker wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:He as watched more football over the last few years than you or I.

Why do you feel the need to patronise and belittle people when giving an answer? If you had a bit of class like Tyler below you would just put an answer straight and not patronise people about age etc.

Belittle and patronise, and what part of Merthyr do you live in, i would not go to far from your creche if i was you, there are plenty of rude suprises waiting, f**k me patronising, you'd have been butted up the road before you'd finished your question. It's a bad world out there, toughen up, or stay in. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed May 25, 2011 6:14 pm

BigGwynram wrote:
Nathan Walker wrote:

Belittle and patronise, and what part of Merthyr do you live in, i would not go to far from your creche if i was you, there are plenty of rude suprises waiting, f**k me patronising, you'd have been butted up the road before you'd finished your question. It's a bad world out there, toughen up, or stay in. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ever been in the Wyndham :lol:

Wed May 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Wed May 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Gwyn I agree with what you are saying, but there is a but? I remember you begging with Sam when he was tearing our club apart, selling players. And what about running up the huge debt that we are now left with.
He called us his family, and yet he borrowed money from his own company at an higher rate than what you could have had it from an high street bank. I think, if he can't get what he wants, he would pull this club down with him, as he did with Wimbledon, and yet he can be charismatic to get what he wants, and then he has another side to him where he is spitefull and vindictive and would go to any lengths to get what he wants.
These are my opinions and observations, I would like to know yours, as you were very close to him?

Wed May 25, 2011 6:18 pm

Maesteg bluebirds wrote:Gwyn I agree with what you are saying, but there is a but? I remember you begging with Sam when he was tearing our club apart, selling players. And what about running up the huge debt that we are now left with.
He called us his family, and yet he borrowed money from his own company at an higher rate than what you could have had it from an high street bank. I think, if he can't get what he wants, he would pull this club down with him, as he did with Wimbledon, and yet he can be charismatic to get what he wants, and then he has another side to him where he is spitefull and vindictive and would go to any lengths to get what he wants.
These are my opinions and observations, I would like to know yours, as you were very close to him?

perhaps the people who were close to him know him differently, but i'd say that's very much the public image he now has. rightly or wrongly. which is why i don't think it'd be a popular move with the wider demographic of cardiff fans

Wed May 25, 2011 6:20 pm

Gwyn was just stating his shock and I agree with him all these statements what Hamman can bring to Cardiff City when the facts are there. plus his record at Wimbledon he did leave us in a bad light so there will always be rows about it.

For me Hamman saved the club when they were in a real mess and he brought fun and enjoyment to the club besides the football my son was little and loved the bloke as he always had time for him and other young supporters.

I still believe he got in a mess and got the wrong person into help him or the club as he got conned by Ridsdale and then we did when we all got season tickets almost 6 months early and he would buy players all ridsdale did was buy himself a couple of new cars as we never had an explaination what happened to that £3 million no players no tax paid or other bills.

Wed May 25, 2011 6:23 pm

Maesteg bluebirds wrote:Gwyn I agree with what you are saying, but there is a but? I remember you begging with Sam when he was tearing our club apart, selling players. And what about running up the huge debt that we are now left with.

He didn't though, where did you get that from, when Sam took over the debt off Citi bank and covered it with the Langstons money, it was done as an unsecured loan with a very low repayment schedule, just above base rate, now if you look at the loans we have had from other directors you will find all sorts of tie ins and security with soem rates over 20%. Perhaps that's where your going wrong.

Wed May 25, 2011 6:25 pm

BigGwynram wrote:

He didn't though, where did you get that from, when Sam took over the debt off Citi bank and covered it with the Langstons money, it was done as an unsecured loan with a very low repayment schedule, just above base rate, now if you look at the loans we have had from other directors you will find all sorts of tie ins and security with soem rates over 20%. Perhaps that's where your going wrong.

Gwyn: Am I right in saying that the citi bank loan had reverted to something mad like 300%? I can remember being told something like that (I've a sieve-like mind :oops: )

Wed May 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Eddie May wrote:Gwyn don not waste your time on a little boy called baker, he does not deserve to have a question even considered.

Just passing on some experience from living in the real word, where occasionally the keyboard doesn't protect you. :old:

Wed May 25, 2011 6:30 pm

Nathan Walker wrote:As some of you will be aware I am pretty against Sam returning but as you know, to form a solid opinion you need to know reasons for and against something. So 2 questions that the people who want the return could answer...

Thanks

I don't know what he said, but I'm not in favour of censorship, unless its absolutely necessary.

Sam's been out of football for "5-6 years". The Malaysians have NEVER been IN football!

With all his faults, I'd have him back. Eastern Passion In, Eastern Promise Out!
Last edited by gileos boot boy on Wed May 25, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 25, 2011 6:30 pm

Eddie May wrote:Gwyn don not waste your time on a little boy called baker, he does not deserve to have a question even considered.

I'm not Baker? I only asked 2 questions. Thankfully I had some decent answers.

Wed May 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi, been an avid reader of this board and thought'd I'd finally join. My thoughts on Sam Hammam are that as much as the next person when he was with us parading around the park I loved the bloke, however, when he decided to bring the club that close to administration it hurt alot. And its a hurt that I will always feel towards him. However, with this deal people are mentioning I would be happy to have him back for his footballing contacts and "passion" but I would want a gaurentee that he would have no involvment in the finances of the club after all I don't want the club to be in that position again.

Wed May 25, 2011 6:35 pm

gileos boot boy wrote:

Thanks

I don't know what he said, but I'm not in favour of censorship, unless its absolutely necessary.

Sam's been out of football for "5-6 years". The Malaysians have NEVER been IN football!

With all his faults, I'd have him back. Eastern Passion In, Eastern Promise Out!

maybe that's an advantage? everyone knows things get messy when chairmen/board members interfere with footballing matters. they should be there to keep finances ticking over, make sure we stick to budget(!!!) and so on. leave the footballing matters to the football staff (managers, coaches, players..)

Wed May 25, 2011 6:36 pm

this board is getting bitchy. :old:

Wed May 25, 2011 6:39 pm

hirwaunbluebird wrote:this board is getting bitchy. :old:

f**k off. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed May 25, 2011 6:41 pm

and you twice. :lol: :lol:

Wed May 25, 2011 6:44 pm

BigGwynram wrote:

Just passing on some experience from living in the real word, where occasionally the keyboard doesn't protect you. :old:

whose baker?

Wed May 25, 2011 6:58 pm

jinks-rct wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:

whose baker?

Exactly.

Wed May 25, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks

Nathan you answered question 1 with question 2. And that is Football knoledge of which the Malaysians have none. So with them (the Malaysians) and Sam both on board i think wde might just get a winner :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed May 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

Thanks

Nathan you answered question 1 with question 2. And that is Football knoledge of which the Malaysians have none. So with them (the Malaysians) and Sam both on board i think wde might just get a winner :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

To a certain extent Nukes, I suppose I did but I went further on in point two to say that has Sams football contacts been outdated leaving him with nothing over the Malaysians

Wed May 25, 2011 7:44 pm

Nathan Walker wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

Thanks

To a certain extent Nukes, I suppose I did but I went further on in point two to say that has Sams football contacts been outdated leaving him with nothing over the Malaysians

But have they ? You might be right you might be wrong i don't know. This is one that can be answered by one of our big guns. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed May 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Perhaps if Sam comes back he needs to keep a proffesional distance from the fans?

After all we'd sign everyone just to get success whereas a good CEO has to see the business side too, perhaps Sam got caught up with the fans dreams before?

I'm still haunted by his comment that if the fans turned on him he'd take the club down. (shattered dreams)

Thu May 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
gileos boot boy wrote:

Thanks

maybe that's an advantage? everyone knows things get messy when chairmen/board members interfere with footballing matters. they should be there to keep finances ticking over, make sure we stick to budget(!!!) and so on. leave the footballing matters to the football staff (managers, coaches, players..)

exactly