Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

question for those who were friends with sam back then.

Wed May 25, 2011 2:09 pm

we all have diferent views and theories regarding sam hammam some like him others dont .
lately there seems to be quite alot of sam hammam threads or him being mentioned which is obvious as he is owned millions by the club so his name will always pop up. some have always stuck by sam hammam and have been loyal to him over the years which is your choice and i have nothing against that. but could you answer this please.>
when sam was here and we were doing really well and seemed to be spending quite alot of money etc then the bombshell that we were millions and millions in debt and our best players had to be sold and cardiff city were all over the news saying we were going under and that we were up shit creek without a paddle.
quite a few used to meet with sam quite alot before all the debt stuff came out and you told us lots of news regarding what he was doing and his plans.
so just wondering did sam tell you about all the debt and trouble that was on the horizon before it came out or did he withold it from you aswell?
or did sam tell you that we were in trouble but not to tell the fans until it came out officially in other ways?

PS this isnt a sniping thread or a go at people who like sam hammam. :ayatollah:

Re: question for those who were friends with sam back then.

Wed May 25, 2011 2:13 pm

You should read shattered dreams to Wembley way ;)
Annis I want commision if you get a sale here :lol:

Wed May 25, 2011 2:22 pm

Sam wanted both a team and a stadium worthy of Championship football and I dont think he ever realized just how much running both side by side would eventually cost him so something unfortunately had to give .... with hindsight Im guessing he would have done things a bit slower and wiser but as we know Sam wanted it all here and now ( then I mean ) ..... CCFC imploded a bit financially and the rest is indeed history BUT have to agree you should have a read of Annis's book as the story is all there to see . And before you ask NO I am not a friend of Sam's and never met him , not even at the road show at Cwmaman club !!

Wed May 25, 2011 3:04 pm

It was obvious that the time scale of 2 to 3 years the council said it would take to get the new stadium up, as time went on you could see that what Sam had budgeted for over that period was being stretched.
We did pay over the odds for Kav and Thorney, but Sam was diving in hoping to get a team ready for the Prem and a new stadium at the same time.

Sam was foolhardy and naive, he didn't realise it was going to cost half a million to check on the impact results on butterflies over the ash tip, or the dandelions and how they would be devastated, or the millions needed to do soil and land test etc .

Al these things cost a fortune and they were all paid for while Sam was here, then when its all done Pr makes out he's the big Saviour when 90% of the work had been sorted.

As with regard to selling players to balance the books,that's when the rot set in, Sam had often said before that's how football works, you don't try a buy a player on the cheap from Man u, they don't need the money, the only way you'll get a player from them is you pay well over the odds.

The teams you buy players from are those struggling for cash, then you can pick up the bargains, so putting on a big front is part of the plan, because when others sense a weakness they are in like vultures, and that's how they work.

Sam was in to much of a rush, but so were a lot of us fans, let's be honest if the Malaysians give us two choices and the first one is 1. We are going to buy the best players this year and really have a shot at getting into the Premiership or plan 2.we need to balance the books, sell off or release any valuable players and replace them with hopefully some good prospective bargains from the lower leagues and hopefully over the next 5 years or so we can see some good results.

Which choice do you think will be most popular, but which one makes most sense.

Me I'm fed up or waiting and it would be shit or bust for me. :old:

Wed May 25, 2011 6:01 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:Sam wanted both a team and a stadium worthy of Championship football and I dont think he ever realized just how much running both side by side would eventually cost him so something unfortunately had to give .... with hindsight Im guessing he would have done things a bit slower and wiser but as we know Sam wanted it all here and now ( then I mean ) ..... CCFC imploded a bit financially and the rest is indeed history BUT have to agree you should have a read of Annis's book as the story is all there to see . And before you ask NO I am not a friend of Sam's and never met him , not even at the road show at Cwmaman club !!

only because they charged a quid to get in and you were to tight :lol:

Wed May 25, 2011 6:14 pm

BigGwynram wrote:It was obvious that the time scale of 2 to 3 years the council said it would take to get the new stadium up, as time went on you could see that what Sam had budgeted for over that period was being stretched.
We did pay over the odds for Kav and Thorney, but Sam was diving in hoping to get a team ready for the Prem and a new stadium at the same time.

Sam was foolhardy and naive, he didn't realise it was going to cost half a million to check on the impact results on butterflies over the ash tip, or the dandelions and how they would be devastated, or the millions needed to do soil and land test etc .

Al these things cost a fortune and they were all paid for while Sam was here, then when its all done Pr makes out he's the big Saviour when 90% of the work had been sorted.

As with regard to selling players to balance the books,that's when the rot set in, Sam had often said before that's how football works, you don't try a buy a player on the cheap from Man u, they don't need the money, the only way you'll get a player from them is you pay well over the odds.

The teams you buy players from are those struggling for cash, then you can pick up the bargains, so putting on a big front is part of the plan, because when others sense a weakness they are in like vultures, and that's how they work.

Sam was in to much of a rush, but so were a lot of us fans, let's be honest if the Malaysians give us two choices and the first one is 1. We are going to buy the best players this year and really have a shot at getting into the Premiership or plan 2.we need to balance the books, sell off or release any valuable players and replace them with hopefully some good prospective bargains from the lower leagues and hopefully over the next 5 years or so we can see some good results.

Which choice do you think will be most popular, but which one makes most sense.

Me I'm fed up or waiting and it would be shit or bust for me. :old:

that was a good read gwyn i agree back when sam took over i think we all wanted the rush approach. these days i would take the sensible approach as i like championship football. im not a fan of sam hammam but after what you just wrote i believe he should be given another go at cardiff city :ayatollah: and i would be 100% behind him.. the only worry is finances and will he be able to take critism or not have his own way??

Wed May 25, 2011 6:28 pm

how much do we owe sam? how much have we paid off? i thing for sure. if we borrowed money of lloyds bank or any other bank. we would not have a club to support today? :roll:

Wed May 25, 2011 6:33 pm

ninianblue wrote:how much do we owe sam? how much have we paid off? i thing for sure. if we borrowed money of lloyds bank or any other bank. we would not have a club to support today? :roll:

Exactly, all this carp he wants to destroy the club is bollox, he could have put us under anytime he wants to, we ain't paid back a penny of the debt. I think he sees it a bit like a penance for letting us down when he was here, he never set out to fail i promise you. :old:

Wed May 25, 2011 6:36 pm

BigGwynram wrote:
ninianblue wrote:how much do we owe sam? how much have we paid off? i thing for sure. if we borrowed money of lloyds bank or any other bank. we would not have a club to support today? :roll:

Exactly, all this carp he wants to destroy the club is bollox, he could have put us under anytime he wants to, we ain't paid back a penny of the debt. I think he sees it a bit like a penance for letting us down when he was here, he never set out to fail i promise you. :old:

i heard banks etc in the usa like backing people who have had business failure as they believe most will have learned from the experience :ayatollah: