Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Do you think the South Wales Echo is a good sports (football) paper for the LOCAL area?

You may select 1 option

View results

THE SOUTH WALES ECHO!

Tue May 24, 2011 3:08 pm

Do we still rate the SWE in Cardiff?

Re: THE SOUTH WALES ECHO!

Tue May 24, 2011 3:11 pm

I honestly cant believe people pay for it, isnt it something like 50p?? all it does is copy of this message board anyone. Tucker and Blooms egos are massively overinflated for poor "journalists"/sports writers. There ratings for players in games may as well be picked out of a hat they are generally so far off the mark.

Oh but that Carl writes a good piece ;)

Tue May 24, 2011 3:16 pm

The journalism is some of the laziest and replicated crap I have ever read! It doesn't excite, or allow anyone to use their inagination at all. It is just pure drivel! If I ran out of bog paper I probably wouldn't even wipe my arse with it!

Tue May 24, 2011 4:50 pm

Very poor lazy journalists who seem to copy and paste off football forums.The whole paper is garbage :evil:

Tue May 24, 2011 4:58 pm

I don't think it's very good for sport anymore. As has been mentioned, very lazy journalism.

An example of this:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city-fc/2011/05/24/cardiff-city-hit-by-333k-bill-as-roger-johnson-and-birmingham-suffer-drop-91466-28749601/

How old is Roger Johnson? How many years have Birmingham stayed up?
Both wrong in this report.

Tue May 24, 2011 5:13 pm

Melin(Craig)

Since OUR VERY OWN cARL CURTIS STARTED WRITING FOT THEM ON A WEEKLY BASICS OVER 4 MONTHS AGO, IT HAS NOW BECOME AN ENJOYABLE FOOTBALL READ, AS WE NOW READ THE TRUTH and GETS THE FANS VIEWS :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

SO FOR THAT, YES I THINK IT IS A GOOD PAPER NOW :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 24, 2011 5:16 pm

It's an agenda driven rag if you ask me I wouldn't waste a penny on buying it. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 24, 2011 5:18 pm

Cant buy it up here but if i could i would buy it yeah

Tue May 24, 2011 5:18 pm

never bought it due to the metro being free on the busses to college, and they just tell me things i've seen on sky sports news

Tue May 24, 2011 5:23 pm

The echo use to be a must purchase for me, and the sports echo/football echo.

I dont bother anymore though, the sport coverage is rubbish, and I get it all online anyway.

Saying that, I still buy a national paper most days and I can get all that online so Im contradicting myself a bit, or does it just show how crap the SWE has become. :lol:

Tue May 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Both the Western Mail and the Echo are absolutely rubbish. Journalism at it's worst!

Tue May 24, 2011 5:39 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Melin(Craig)

Since OUR VERY OWN cARL CURTIS STARTED WRITING FOT THEM ON A WEEKLY BASICS OVER 4 MONTHS AGO, IT HAS NOW BECOME AN ENJOYABLE FOOTBALL READ, AS WE NOW READ THE TRUTH and GETS THE FANS VIEWS :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

SO FOR THAT, YES I THINK IT IS A GOOD PAPER NOW :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:lol:

Well Carl's column is ok - if you like a fans point of view great! but the Echo should have people all over the stadium on match day speaking to people and taking more than one persons views?

I dont think the actual coverage is that bad - but the actual wording (and direction) and the intentions etc etc is pure crap journalism..... it doesn't really reach out?

But yes, Carl's column has added a little more interest to the saturday page! (although some people - seem to think not! reading other forums!!!) ;)

Tue May 24, 2011 7:00 pm

What's the point in paying for it when you can come on here and get them for free?

And I know I'd rather see the opinions of various messageboard posters than the lies and recycled messageboard posts that the Echo have put out in the past.

Tue May 24, 2011 7:04 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:

What's the point in paying for it when you can come on here and get them for free?

And I know I'd rather see the opinions of various messageboard posters than the lies and recycled messageboard posts that the Echo have put out in the past.

Hmm Dave I never said buy it ?

Tue May 24, 2011 7:04 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:The echo use to be a must purchase for me, and the sports echo/football echo.

I dont bother anymore though, the sport coverage is rubbish, and I get it all online anyway.

Saying that, I still buy a national paper most days and I can get all that online so Im contradicting myself a bit, or does it just show how crap the SWE has become. :lol:

Definitely shows how crap the Echo has become.

Would much prefer to spend 20p (30p on Saturdays) on the new little "i" paper that the Independent have brought out. A really interesting, FACT filled read with any conjecture and personal bias left for the comments pages and clearly pointed out from the actual reportage.

The reality is that papers like the Indy, the Times, the Guardian & the Telegraph (and to a lesser extent the Mail) are still interested in real journalism, though editorial pressures on some lead to a slight bias in the order articles appear in any given day.

The Echo clearly aren't, otherwise they'd have sacked those who have so clearly shown they're incapable of real journalism and brought in some who are.

Tue May 24, 2011 7:09 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
DaveSheffield wrote:

Hmm Dave I never said buy it ?

No, I know, just saying :oops:

Tue May 24, 2011 7:10 pm

Hmm Dave I never said buy it ?[/quote]

No, I know, just saying :oops:[/quote]

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 24, 2011 7:13 pm

It's dire for all sports to be honest with you!

Tue May 24, 2011 7:15 pm

As a footballing paper, its shit, but as a general paper I buy it when I can :ayatollah: