Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE!!!

Mon May 23, 2011 9:01 am

as some of you are aware i am a committee member for cardiff astronomical society.
we will be setting our telescopes up at the master mariner pub on skomer road ,barry on june 15th to view this rare astronomical event. Last one was in2000 and next one will be 2018.
weather dependent obviously , but the moon will start to rise in its eclipsed state at 8pm and be fully up at 9.20pm.
as the moon will be low on the horizon it will appear to be enormous and should be dark red in colour before it starts to come out of the earths shadow to regain its usual white reflection.
Dont miss it, the pub is elevated above barry with views over the bristol channel. have a pint and look through our telescopes.
please leave a comment if your coming, cos this session is going to be plugged in a few papers. so numbers could be handy.
I`ve let you lot know first. ;)
8.30-11 pm kids welcome, but i wouldnt recommend it for under 10`s it is a pub after all.

Re: TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE!!!

Mon May 23, 2011 9:05 am

sounds good fella just keep us updated closer to the date.
im in if possible
:ayatollah:

Mon May 23, 2011 9:07 am

yeah no problem chief!!! :ayatollah:

Mon May 23, 2011 11:40 am

nugent wrote:as some of you are aware i am a committee member for cardiff astronomical society.
we will be setting our telescopes up at the master mariner pub on skomer road ,barry on june 15th to view this rare astronomical event. Last one was in2000 and next one will be 2018.
weather dependent obviously , but the moon will start to rise in its eclipsed state at 8pm and be fully up at 9.20pm.
as the moon will be low on the horizon it will appear to be enormous and should be dark red in colour before it starts to come out of the earths shadow to regain its usual white reflection.
Dont miss it, the pub is elevated above barry with views over the bristol channel. have a pint and look through our telescopes.
please leave a comment if your coming, cos this session is going to be plugged in a few papers. so numbers could be handy.
8.30-11 pm kids welcome, but i wouldnt recommend it for under 10`s it is a pub after all.

I'm not a member of an astronomical body, so have I got the facts right about the frequency of a lunar eclipse? I thought a total lunar eclipse was quite common with the last being on the 21st Dec 2010, and the next will be on 10 Dec this year. There have been nine since 2001, or am I misinterpreting what you are saying?

Mon May 23, 2011 11:50 am

Quite a cool idea to be honest. I love random events like this. :ayatollah:

Mon May 23, 2011 2:26 pm

gileos boot boy wrote:
nugent wrote:as some of you are aware i am a committee member for cardiff astronomical society.

I'm not a member of an astronomical body, so have I got the facts right about the frequency of a lunar eclipse? I thought a total lunar eclipse was quite common with the last being on the 21st Dec 2010, and the next will be on 10 Dec this year. There have been nine since 2001, or am I misinterpreting what you are saying?

We are both right lol. without boring you too much, this eclipse as with any type has a certain template (exactly the same path) This particular total eclipse is rare because it passes through the exact centre of the shadow cast by the earth, so it should be the darkest possible colour. probably red, though green and yellow have been seen :ayatollah:

Mon May 23, 2011 2:28 pm

Zabier wrote:Quite a cool idea to be honest. I love random events like this. :ayatollah:

I take it a yes then zabier. well done chief :ayatollah:

Mon May 23, 2011 3:06 pm

So if you are always looking into space, ever see Him ?? :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 23, 2011 3:09 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:

ALF he`s a city fan he is!

Mon May 23, 2011 3:11 pm

nugent wrote:
welshcitydragon wrote:

Yer he is taken over from DAVE JONES :lol:

ALF he`s a city fan he is!

Mon May 23, 2011 3:15 pm

alf and dai hunt as assistant !!!

Mon May 23, 2011 8:51 pm

nugent wrote:
gileos boot boy wrote:

We are both right lol. without boring you too much, this eclipse as with any type has a certain template (exactly the same path) This particular total eclipse is rare because it passes through the exact centre of the shadow cast by the earth, so it should be the darkest possible colour. probably red, though green and yellow have been seen :ayatollah:

OK, understood, (I think), :)

I spend lots of time on the Gower where my cousin lives. His neighbor has a hi-tech telescope with computer pointing and stuff. I try to time my visits for new moon. The dark sky makes it a great location for star gazing.

Tue May 24, 2011 5:05 pm

always best viewing the sky at night when the moon isnt out, can see much more!