Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Any diabetics here?

Sun May 22, 2011 8:11 am

I been a diabetic 10 years and had a few minor diabetic hypos in those years but always feel them coming on but had a bad one Friday night without any warning and fell from the top of the stairs to the bottom, came to 4 times but drifted back unconscious each time had a lucky escape , battered and bruised bit shook up but ok now. Was wondering if anyone else here had similar experience.

Re: Any diabetics here?

Sun May 22, 2011 8:13 am

I'm guessing this is no time for a joke about the Reading game?...

This is awkward... :?

In all seriousness though that sounds horrible mate. Hope you're ok now. I'm sure those of us who don't have diabetes will realise how lucky we are... unless we have something else equally as bad.

Sun May 22, 2011 8:19 am

yeah am fine mate. All in all lost over 30 minutes of time and remember nothing at all about the episode. Now its happened once I am a bit worried that it could happen again at any time without warning. Luckily my girlfriends son was there and recognised it as a hypo and managed to get me to drink a small carton of orange juice through a straw as I was drifting back into consciousness then after a while I came around. Like I said a bit battered and bruised but ok thanks.

Sun May 22, 2011 8:28 am

ihatealiens wrote:yeah am fine mate. All in all lost over 30 minutes of time and remember nothing at all about the episode. Now its happened once I am a bit worried that it could happen again at any time without warning. Luckily my girlfriends son was there and recognised it as a hypo and managed to get me to drink a small carton of orange juice through a straw as I was drifting back into consciousness then after a while I came around. Like I said a bit battered and bruised but ok thanks.

Are the doctors aware of it or have you not informed them? They might be able to give you some medication to reduce the risk?

Sun May 22, 2011 8:52 am

ihatealiens wrote:I been a diabetic 10 years and had a few minor diabetic hypos in those years but always feel them coming on but had a bad one Friday night without any warning and fell from the top of the stairs to the bottom, came to 4 times but drifted back unconscious each time had a lucky escape , battered and bruised bit shook up but ok now. Was wondering if anyone else here had similar experience.

If you're getting Hypos without warning you should stop driving (if you are driving). I've had a few over the years but have always recognised the symptoms and dealt with them but the amount of time they give you to rectify the matter isn't long.

The way to avoid hypos is to nibble all day long probably without taking main meals but this invariably leads to weight issues.

Sun May 22, 2011 8:58 am

Gerry Hat Trick wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:I been a diabetic 10 years and had a few minor diabetic hypos in those years but always feel them coming on but had a bad one Friday night without any warning and fell from the top of the stairs to the bottom, came to 4 times but drifted back unconscious each time had a lucky escape , battered and bruised bit shook up but ok now. Was wondering if anyone else here had similar experience.

If you're getting Hypos without warning you should stop driving (if you are driving). I've had a few over the years but have always recognised the symptoms and dealt with them but the amount of time they give you to rectify the matter isn't long.

The way to avoid hypos is to nibble all day long probably without taking main meals but this invariably leads to weight issues.

Yes I know, I won't be driving any time soon. I have an issue with kidney stones which has caused me to have several water infections in the past month or so, which in turn has disrupted my sugar readings which are normally pretty stable. I think the mistake I made was going out for a few pints Friday night while my sugar was so irregular and this may have brought on the hypo. Pretty scary incident though and wouldn't want another that's for sure.

Sun May 22, 2011 9:00 am

My brother Jamie is diabetic and has been for 24 years, he has come close to the end after suffering many diabetic comas and it has been a huge strain on him and the family and was on the highest level of insulin intake that is possible but a couple of years ago he was fitted with a device that drip feeds insulin in to his body 24/7 and this has stabilised his condition.

There are still problems but the erratic rise and fall of his blood sugars have subsided thankfully but unfortunately he is in slow renal failure.

I sympathise with you as it is a terrible illness.

Sun May 22, 2011 9:08 am

carlccfc wrote:

My brother Jamie is diabetic and has been for 24 years, he has come close to the end after suffering many diabetic comas and it has been a huge strain on him and the family and was on the highest level of insulin intake that is possible but a couple of years ago he was fitted with a device that drip feeds insulin in to his body 24/7 and this has stabilised his condition.

There are still problems but the erratic rise and fall of his blood sugars have subsided thankfully but unfortunately he is in slow renal failure.

Well Jamie's condition makes my little problem pale into insignificance Carl. I am normally quite stable but I think this little incident was a bit of a warning to me to be more careful. Is Jamie looking at Dialysis in the future then? If so, that must be an even bigger worry for Jamie, yourself and the rest of the family.

Sun May 22, 2011 9:25 am

ihatealiens wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Well Jamie's condition makes my little problem pale into insignificance Carl. I am normally quite stable but I think this little incident was a bit of a warning to me to be more careful. Is Jamie looking at Dialysis in the future then? If so, that must be an even bigger worry for Jamie, yourself and the rest of the family.

Yes he is but the strangest thing about Dialysis for diabetics is that you have to be on deaths door literally as the supply is so low.

Sun May 22, 2011 11:54 am

That's awful. Worrying times for you then Carl