Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Players Fallout Begins " I will Never play for DJ again

Sun May 22, 2011 6:19 am

FairPlay to Geypes has waited till the end of season to say his view,but does give an insight to how jones works, when he falls out with players.

Cardiff City’s Gabor Gyepes: I won’t play for Dave Jones again
by Terry Phillips, Wales On Sunday
May 22 2011

CARDIFF CITY defender Gabor Gyepes has vowed not to play for under-fire Bluebirds boss Dave Jones again.

Gyepes spoke out after Cardiff’s Premier League dream was destroyed by the 3-0 Championship play-off defeat to Reading.

The 29-year-old centre-back – signed by Jones from Northampton Town in a £200,000 deal in August 2008 – increasingly found himself on the periphery as the season unfolded.

Gyepes was a regular in the first half of the season alongside club captain Mark Hudson when Cardiff played some of their best football.

But the former Ferencvaros and Wolves man failed to make a solitary league start after Christmas with Hudson, Dekel Keinan and full-back Kevin McNaughton all preferred to the Hungarian international at the heart of the Bluebirds defence.

Gyepes even made way for Chris Riggott despite huge fitness concerns over the former Middlesbrough and Derby defender.

Riggott eventually broke down 16 minutes into his second game at Bristol City and never played for the Bluebirds again.

Unwilling to rock the boat as Cardiff’s season headed for despair under Jones, Gyepes has now spoken out about the way he has been treated.

And it makes uncomfortable reading for Jones as he seeks to stay in the Bluebirds hot-seat he has occupied for the last six years.

“If our manager stays it is very likely I will leave,” said Gyepes, who has made over 70 appearances for Cardiff but even failed to make it onto the substitutes’ bench for the semi-final reverse to Reading last Tuesday.

“After our defeat against Swansea in November our manager always blamed me for everything.

“I have to accept his decision because he is the manager and I can’t do anything.

“I haven’t played since March and at the end of the season I was out of the squad.

“I have waited for the end of the season because I can’t work with him.

“I have to think about my future and prepare for everything.

“I have a contract for one more year but I won’t be at Cardiff if the manager stays.”

Budapest-born Gyepes made his debut for Hungary in 2002 but a serious knee injury at Wolves almost derailed his career.

Rescued by Jones from the lower leagues at Northampton, he valiantly fought his way back into the Hungary set-up.

Gyepes’ form for Cardiff saw him, in March 2009, win his first call-up in three years for the 2010 World Cup qualifiers against Albania and Malta.

He would later be tasked with marking Cristiano Ronaldo in a Hungary-Portugal game but he lost his way at Cardiff amid significant investment from the Bluebirds’ Malaysian owners.

“The purposes and the coaching staff at Cardiff didn’t change this season,” Gyepes told the Nemzeti Sport daily newspaper in Hungary.

“But after the arrival of the new Malaysian investors we signed loan players from the Premier League.

“Craig Bellamy played a big role in our good performance but we couldn’t have reinforced the squad without the stable financial background.”

Though several of those loan players have now returned to their parent clubs, Cardiff would seem well blessed with central defenders whether Jones stays or not.

Apart from Gyepes, Hudson, Keinan and McNaughton, Anthony Gerrard is now back from his season-long loan spell at Hull while Darcy Blake can also operate in that area.

But Gyepes – Cardiff’s longest-serving centre-back – will now wait to see if the club’s Malaysian investors are prepared to back Jones again after the 54-year-old failed to get the Bluebirds over the Championship finishing line.

Gyepes, though, is determined to put his career back on track and re-live previous success when he won league and cup winners’ medals in his native Hungary.

“Those trophy successes are treasured memories,” said Gyepes, who even won a triple crown of Hungarian title, cup and Super Cup seven years ago at Ferencvaros.

“When I came here nobody knew me and I had to prove I am a good player, a good person to have around the football club.

“I have done that and now I need to play football again.”

Add a comment Recommend

You might also be interested in:
Dave Jones admits drink problem
Angry Cardiff City ‘fan’ lashed out at players at city centre restaurant
Millions of people preparing for the end of the world.....at six o'clock on Saturday
Cardiff City 0 Middlesbrough 3
Cardiff City 0 Reading 3

Re: Players fallout begins

Sun May 22, 2011 6:27 am

Seems a bit of a sulky piece really. If the manager decides you are at fault for something and wants you replaced then that is why they are paid, to make the big decisions.

They fly or fall by these decisions and DJ is probably about to fall, but I do find it interesting to see who comes out first when it comes to publicly blaming people. Not the strongest of characters.

Sun May 22, 2011 6:37 am

Agreed Wayne ,but a good manager should be able to keep team spirit within the squad even if players are not playing,not slagging them of in public such as Mathews.

Sun May 22, 2011 6:43 am

mike blues wrote:Agreed Wayne ,but a good manager should be able to keep team spirit within the squad even if players are not playing,not slagging them of in public such as Mathews.

Agree Matthews was the stand out public rant by DJ so he pre-empts Geypes as the first to show a lack of character, but then he is the manager. It's the timing of Geypes piece that I think is a bit sneaky, didn't see him having a go at the time.

Re: " Players Fallout Begins " I will Never play for DJ again

Sun May 22, 2011 7:00 am

Another of the 'forgotten men' as we struggled to cope at centre half.

Quite baffling how he never featured when Hudson was out. Kev could have
stayed left back and saved us over 15 points!

Jones very much OUT and quickly!

W

P.S. Nice to see young Adam on the pitch celebrating with his new team yesterday.
Another really shocking decision by our ex-manager (I hope) :D

Sun May 22, 2011 7:25 am

I think this is a dignified, well reasoned, and logical argument from Gyepes.

If he wasn't to say it now, when should he say it????

Gyepes is probably rightly scared that Jones will stay, and if he does, then clearly from what we've all witnessed and what he says in that article, there would be no place for him. By coming out now, it may be the final nail in Jones''s coffin (and if that were to be the case, we all owe Gyepes one!).

Gyepes has not been that bad for us, and Jones had a go at him to avoid the attention being turned onto his pathetic tactics against the Jacks in November. Poor old Matthews is another example if this kind of illogical self protecting kind of approach from Jones.

The quicker that Jones goes, the better, and Gyepes would then quite rightly feel that with a new Manager, he would have a chance of staying at City. What's wrong with that?

Sun May 22, 2011 8:11 am

Gyepes lost his way. He became too inconsistent and made a number of bad mistakes. I don't think he was good enough. Saying that, it didn't help (we're back to the reserve team argument here) that he had zero match practice before being shoved into the first team.

Sun May 22, 2011 8:12 am

I don't think there's anything sneaky or underhanded about this. If he'd had a go during the season that would have been different but this is a considered and well worded summary of his feelings towards the fat, useless, scouse tw*t.
"Sacked in the morning, he's getting sacked in the morning". Well we all have our dreams!!

Sun May 22, 2011 8:51 am

Gypes is not the only one who feels like this! By January there were many in the camp who were desperate to see the back of him but pulled it together for the sake of the club! I'm friendly with a well known championship player and after he played city he spoke to some of the boys in the players lounge, they were less than complimentary about dj and some of his staff!

Sun May 22, 2011 9:10 am

Gyppes story is a strange one.

Once he broke into the first team, eventually he replaced Darren Purse who at the time was awesome for us, Gabor did well. The following season we moved into CCS and he started partnering Hudson who lets be honest was a nightmare. Gabor struggled with Hudson yet the previous season looked good partnering Johnson. Gabor eventually lost his place to Gerrard and only really got recalled when either was injured. Come to think of it Blake was preferred in central defence over him so he was well down the pecking order.

Strange one to work out. Was Jones blaming Gabor when partnering his favourite Hudson for the bad defending or simple was Gerrard/Blake alot better than him?

Sun May 22, 2011 12:10 pm

Gyepes talks well in this article but with more than a little bitterness

He wouldn't be a 'pro' if he was happy to be left out of the team but at the end of the day he wasn't up to the job ACCORDING TO THE MANAGER (who, ironically, is paid to manage, and a fair number of supporters too!!

SOME will see this as another 'Bash the DJ' opportunity but when you look at it in context Gabor just wasn't good enough and should, as he threatens. move on now so we can get someone tidy in regardless of who the manager is for next season

Thanks for your efforts Gabor and good luck. Despite the above they were appreciated....

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun May 22, 2011 12:17 pm

Sven Ghali wrote:Gyepes talks well in this article but with more than a little bitterness

He wouldn't be a 'pro' if he was happy to be left out of the team but at the end of the day he wasn't up to the job ACCORDING TO THE MANAGER (who, ironically, is paid to manage, and a fair number of supporters too!!

SOME will see this as another 'Bash the DJ' opportunity but when you look at it in context Gabor just wasn't good enough and should, as he threatens. move on now so we can get someone tidy in regardless of who the manager is for next season

Thanks for your efforts Gabor and good luck. Despite the above they were appreciated....

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Hull's Player of the Season wasn't up to the job according to Jones.

Gyepes with Keinan would have been a better option, with Super Kev playing left back, imo. Better than playing Smauel LB.

Sun May 22, 2011 3:34 pm

i think hes shit and a liability and is never a championship player. his ex club northampton town is his level.

Sun May 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Gyepes just isn't good enough for this level.

Gerrard, however, definately is. I cannot wait till he returns next season with Hudson as his partner, Super Kev LB and Quinn RB.

Sun May 22, 2011 5:19 pm

good ridance wont be missed hope a few more follow just not good enough :ayatollah:

Sun May 22, 2011 5:30 pm

this is just what happened to Rafa before his exit at Liverpool. Players coming out against him and it was evident Rafa lost the dressing room by the performances on the pitch etc. The same is happening here, DJ has lost the dressing room and we now need a new manager to bring the team spirit back quickly before next season.

Sun May 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Theres a mistake in that article.

It claims Jones paid £200,000 for Gypes.

Not possible, remember, Jones has never had any money to spend.

Mon May 23, 2011 9:47 am

I think this is the end of dj too! He has done and he will eventually get us promotion but i feel he has lost the dressing room and the fans which makes life very difficult! Maybe time for a fresh start!

Mon May 23, 2011 2:08 pm

To me Gypes time was up when Parkin beat him for pace from the halfway line when we fell apart. He isnt good enough.

Mon May 23, 2011 2:37 pm

Did he ever play for Jones.
The rugby tackle was te finish of him.

Mon May 23, 2011 5:03 pm

I don't think it was his decision never to play for DJ again.

Mon May 23, 2011 6:35 pm

i dont think gypes will be missed :roll:

Mon May 23, 2011 11:53 pm

hopefully he'll never play for us again anyway