Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Roberto Martinez

Sat May 21, 2011 11:53 pm

If Wigan get relegated later today and he leaves there, would you want him as your next manager assuming Dave Jones goes?

Re: Roberto Martinez

Sat May 21, 2011 11:55 pm

yes definitely.

Sat May 21, 2011 11:56 pm

No. As he is jack b*stard!
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Sat May 21, 2011 11:58 pm

Canton stand baz wrote:No. As he is jack b*stard!

explain how?

he just took a job and got our rivals playing good flowing football.

hes a good manager and gets teams playing properly and he knows how to change games when things are not going the teams way, at this level anyway.

Sun May 22, 2011 12:10 am

No, apart from the obvious. Wigan were on the way forward with Bruce and now they find themselves almost relegated.

Sun May 22, 2011 12:17 am

Midfield general wrote:
jamesbarnett91 wrote:

explain how?

mmmmm maybe as hes a previous captain and manager of Swansea could explain things for you :roll:

so what?

Sun May 22, 2011 12:33 am

I'm not sure ... I think he could organise the team well and swansea have not spent alot...

hughton got newcastle up, but in all honesty, mike ashley could of managed that team and got promoted, same as keane at sunderland

Sun May 22, 2011 12:43 am

Midfield general wrote:[quote="jamesbarnett91]so what?[/quote]

If you aren't old enough to remember (which judging by your other posts could be the case) ask others how previous Jacks captain John Cornforth was welcomed by the fans when he signed for City. :lol:[/quote]

im 20. I dont see what the deal is just because of his link with Swansea. If he came and got us up in 2 seasons you'd all be wet over him. Hypocrites.

Sun May 22, 2011 12:47 am

If you aren't old enough to remember (which judging by your other posts could be the case) ask others how previous Jacks captain John Cornforth was welcomed by the fans when he signed for City. :lol:[/quote]

How about Alan Curtis and Robbie James?

Sun May 22, 2011 2:01 am

NJ73 wrote:If Wigan get relegated later today and he leaves there, would you want him as your next manager assuming Dave Jones goes?

no, id rather see us win games rather then pass the ball sidewards :ayatollah:

Sun May 22, 2011 3:40 am

Andy Legg (a Cardiff City legend)?? Jason Bowen?? No ill-treatment there :roll:

Problem with Cornforth was that he simply wasn't that good if I remember :|

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun May 22, 2011 4:04 am

no, not good enough, prefer Jones

Sun May 22, 2011 6:20 am

Midfield general wrote:We all know that there is a long list of names who have gone from one club to the other but there are a 'certain' type of person who wouldn't be able to wipe off the 'Jack tag' from our fans and Roberto Martinez like John Conforth would be one of them.

That 'certain' type of player is usually one that didn't do too well at Cardiff so the fans do the usual and berate them for their past at an early stage. Being as fickle as we are, as long as they do well we are willing to forget that they played for Swansea.

We really are a bunch of double-headers. ;)

Anyone who is willing to come to Cardiff City deserves our full support.

Sun May 22, 2011 6:42 am

I would be very pleased with Martinez, but can't see Wigan either being relegated or getting rid of him if they were.

I also think that Sousa was the Manager down there who had the really negative tactics - I wouldn't want to see that week in, week out, but Martinez is a different thing altogether.

Just because he's been a Jack should have nothing to do with it - worst sort of tribalism.

If he came and was poor, then different ball game, but I'd give him a chance - I'd prefer him to Allardyce!

Sun May 22, 2011 6:54 am

100% yes i would be the happiest man alive if martinez came here. I believe everything swansea have acheived to this day is down to martinez

Sun May 22, 2011 7:25 am

Looking at the way Swansea play football, and for each other, some would say that is exactly why Martínez should be considered. Whether he would ever consider us is quite another matter.

Still only 37, Martínez has degrees in physiotherapy (Zaragoza) and business management (University of Manchester). Doesn't touch alcohol. Indeed, he had his first (and possibly last) ever drink at his wedding just a few years ago. The man has bundles of character, intelligence and leadership skills. It seems that Martínez comes from a close family. His father was former player and manager who has had a significant influence on Martínez so it is difficult to see how technically he could be a b*stard.

Personally, I hope that Swansea are promoted. They deserve it and Martinez, in no small part, has contributed to making it possible for them. Credit where it is due.

Sun May 22, 2011 7:54 am

Would bring excellent scouting system and coaches with him. Yes for me.

Sun May 22, 2011 7:58 am

I wouldn't want him. There are better managers available out there. I think one day he'll be a cracking manager but he still has a lot to learn.

Sun May 22, 2011 7:59 am

murphy wrote:
NJ73 wrote:If Wigan get relegated later today and he leaves there, would you want him as your next manager assuming Dave Jones goes?

no, id rather see us win games rather then pass the ball sidewards :ayatollah:

Sidewards hey!! A much improvement on us passing backwards before we hoof the ball from defense!! :lol:

Martinez is a tidy coach but a move to Cardiff would be as much as a stepping stone as Swansea was to him. I remember he declared he loved Swansea as was in for the long run!!! HMMMMM

Sun May 22, 2011 9:04 am

Excellent question.

Yes, definately, in fact I think you are still benefitting from what he put together at the Liberty.

I couldn't give a monkeys if he was your manager before. Just think of Robbie James, Alan Curtis and Andy Legg. 3 ex-Jacks who are amongst the top 50 players I've seen play for my club.

Sun May 22, 2011 9:15 am

Swansea City are benefiting still from the Martinez days and the whole philosophy of how they play is because of Roberto Martinez.

I can tell you this for a fact as it was said to me and a few other City fans as recent as March, Cardiff City have this rivalry with Swansea but their style of play is how Cardiff City need to play. It is not a perfect system that Swansea play as it is flawed because of the way the goalkeeper and two centre halves NEED much time on the ball to build the pattern of play and we exploited that when we beat them in February.

Those are the words of Craig Bellamy.

So yes I would take Roberto Martinez.

Sun May 22, 2011 9:16 am

Lawnmower wrote:

Excellent question.

Yes, definately, in fact I think you are still benefitting from what he put together at the Liberty.

I couldn't give a monkeys if he was your manager before. Just think of Robbie James, Alan Curtis and Andy Legg. 3 ex-Jacks who are amongst the top 50 players I've seen play for my club.

Definately have Martinez here.

Strange fact this though but in the league matches against us he has been their most unsuccessful mamager. He has only taken 2 points from us when the other 2, Sousa and Rogers, have takem 3. Then against we have failed to beat his sides.

Sun May 22, 2011 9:19 am

jamesbarnett91 wrote:

explain how?

hes a good manager and gets teams playing properly and he knows how to change games when things are not going the teams way, at this level anyway.

James!

I will explain. He had an interview recently. On this interview he states that his heart will always be with Swansea. For me it would be like Alex ferguson taking a job at man city. It just won't happen.

So for me. He is jack b*stard!
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun May 22, 2011 9:24 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:

Excellent question.

Definately have Martinez here.

Strange fact this though but in the league matches against us he has been their most unsuccessful mamager. He has only taken 2 points from us when the other 2, Sousa and Rogers, have takem 3. Then against we have failed to beat his sides.

He also beat us in a cup game, so it can be argued that he was the most successful as he never lost to Cardiff.

Sun May 22, 2011 9:24 am

I'd have Martinez here in a heartbeat but I have a feeling he will get the result he needs today and next season you will see Wigan in a stronger position.

However I do think the club should be looking at a similar sort of manager and not another DJ clone type and I would put Curbishley, Allerdyce and O'Neill in that box. I think it's time we look for a young manager like Martinez so De Matteo, Zola even Sousa as I think they are more in tune with modern football tactics and thats what we need.

These next few days / weeks are going to be pivotal in the future of our club as I really believe we are looking at a new manager for next season. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun May 22, 2011 9:38 am

castleblue wrote:

I'd have Martinez here in a heartbeat but I have a feeling he will get the result he needs today and next season you will see Wigan in a stronger position.

However I do think the club should be looking at a similar sort of manager and not another DJ clone type and I would put Curbishley, Allerdyce and O'Neill in that box. I think it's time we look for a young manager like Martinez so De Matteo, Zola even Sousa as I think they are more in tune with modern football tactics and thats what we need.

These next few days / weeks are going to be pivotal in the future of our club as I really believe we are looking at a new manager for next season. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Agreed with those names. (Except not sure about Zola and def dont want Sousa) I really want to see someone with hunger.

How about Keith Hill, took Rochdale up on nothing and got them near to the play-offs ina very tough league. F'ck just found out he's in talks with Barnsley. GET IN THERE NOW GETHIN.

Could Ferguson jnr be tempted ?

What about Robins -he's done OK at Barnsley with little resuorces. Houghton, Robinson
Shaun O'Driscoll or maybe a decent no. 2 from a premier club.

Sun May 22, 2011 9:56 am

carlccfc wrote:Swansea City are benefiting still from the Martinez days and the whole philosophy of how they play is because of Roberto Martinez.

I can tell you this for a fact as it was said to me and a few other City fans as recent as March, Cardiff City have this rivalry with Swansea but their style of play is how Cardiff City need to play.

So yes I would take Roberto Martinez.

Well said.

Sun May 22, 2011 10:03 am

Canton stand baz wrote:
jamesbarnett91 wrote:

explain how?

James!

I will explain. He had an interview recently. On this interview he states that his heart will always be with Swansea. For me it would be like Alex ferguson taking a job at man city. It just won't happen.

Which is why some in Swansea refer to him affectionately as "El Judas"?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... eport.html

Sun May 22, 2011 10:11 am

jamesbarnett91 wrote:explain how?

Canton stand baz wrote:James!

Uccello Azzurro wrote:Which is why some in Swansea refer to him affectionately as "El Judas"?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... eport.html

In the 80s Toshack took the Swansea job because the Cardiff board would not give him the managers post here. It was Toshacks way of getting his own back on Cardiff and it worked for him.

Most Swansea fans call Martinez El Judas as mentioned above. Ironic if he does a Toshack on them.

Sun May 22, 2011 10:30 am

Bakedalasker wrote:In the 80s Toshack took the Swansea job because the Cardiff board would not give him the managers post here. It was Toshacks way of getting his own back on Cardiff and it worked for him.

Most Swansea fans call Martinez El Judas as mentioned above. Ironic if he does a Toshack on them.

Exactly.

The attitude of some smacks of cutting your nose off to spite your face.

If RM becomes available, and he's interested, we should have a serious look at him.