Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

He could stay on!!

Sat May 21, 2011 8:18 pm

Has anyone on here considered the possibility that Jonesy could stay on as our manager? It's not beyond the realms of possibility but it would put an air of anti climax and disappiontment amongst a lot of fans, although there are still good numbers of fans that believe he can still do a job for us ( I'm not one of them).

We've got to the stage now where keeping Jonesy on would make fans believe the owners have no ambition, we know if he were to stay on he would give us mid table security and possibly a play off place. I personally would be really disappointed if he were to stay on, any thoughts on promotion would go out of the window as far as I'm concerned.

Please Mr Tan and TG be bold, unload Jonesy and get us a fired up young manager with passion, someone who doesn't start his sentences with "People in this part of the world"! A long shot but I wouldn't be disappointed with someone like Dean Holdsworth.

Re: He could stay on!!

Sat May 21, 2011 8:21 pm

CF64 BLUE wrote:Has anyone on here considered the possibility that Jonesy could stay on as our manager? It's not beyond the realms of possibility but it would put an air of anti climax and disappiontment amongst a lot of fans, although there are still good numbers of fans that believe he can still do a job for us ( I'm not one of them).

We've got to the stage now where keeping Jonesy on would make fans believe the owners have no ambition, we know if he were to stay on he would give us mid table security and possibly a play off place. I personally would be really disappointed if he were to stay on, any thoughts on promotion would go out of the window as far as I'm concerned.

Please Mr Tan and TG be bold unload Jonesy and get us a fired up young manager with passion, someone who doesn't start his sentences with "People in this part of the world"! A long shot but I wouldn't be disappointed with someone like Dean Holdsworth.

Holdsworth :shock:

Surely we've got to be aiming higher than that ? It's alright doing well at a newly-promoted Conference side, which has earned the guy a move to a decent League 2 side, but it's a different kettle of fish managing City :lol:

Someone like Eddie Howe springs to mind for me, somebody who's done well at a League 1 club who eventually reached the play-off semi-finals, and who wouldn't be too costly to appoint !

Sat May 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
CF64 BLUE wrote:Has anyone on here considered the possibility that Jonesy could stay on as our manager? It's not beyond the realms of possibility but it would put an air of anti climax and disappiontment amongst a lot of fans, although there are still good numbers of fans that believe he can still do a job for us ( I'm not one of them).

Please Mr Tan and TG be bold unload Jonesy and get us a fired up young manager with passion, someone who doesn't start his sentences with "People in this part of the world"! A long shot but I wouldn't be disappointed with someone like Dean Holdsworth.

Surely we've got to be aiming higher than that ? It's alright doing well at a newly-promoted Conference side, which has earned the guy a move to a decent League 2 side, but it's a different kettle of fish managing City :lol:

Someone like Eddie Howe springs to mind for me, somebody who's done well at a League 1 club who eventually reached the play-off semi-finals, and who wouldn't be too costly to appoint !

Yeah, but you get my drift..fresh ideas, passion etc etc.

Sat May 21, 2011 8:32 pm

CF64 BLUE wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

Yeah, but you get my drift..fresh ideas, passion etc etc.

Absolutely, I want the same. I've been a DJ fan all the way through, and I can see his weaknesses etc. like everyone else, but the things he's done for the club have been nothing short of miracles ! Nobody else would've had the patience to turn us around amongst all the financial problems we've encountered.

So we should thank him and move on whilst getting someone younger in !

Sat May 21, 2011 8:38 pm

Agree totally he's done well for us during his tenure but fresh ideas are now needed even if it's just to lift people's spirits around the place.

Sun May 22, 2011 3:36 am

Please Mr Tan and TG be bold, unload Jonesy and get us a fired up young manager with passion, someone who doesn't start his sentences with "People in this part of the world"! A long shot but I wouldn't be disappointed with someone like Dean Holdsworth.

You stated: "keeping Jonesy on would make fans believe the owners have no ambition"

You really ARE having a laugh....

Any GUARANTEES the next guy will do as well, never mind better?!?!

Ambition?? Sometimes 'ambition' is having the bottle to keep things how they are; even when those around you are losing THEIR heads....

Dave Jones has shown he can take a team to the top six consistently and thet in itself takes some doing. One day (like Birmingham and Wolves before us) the final step into the Premiership will occur....

Unfortunately, gratitude and patience are in short supply at the moment....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sun May 22, 2011 6:54 am

I full agree that Jones will keep us in the Championship, and probably keep us competetive around the play-offs most years.

However, I also firmly believe that he will never get us up, as when big matches come, he will bottle them all.

The only "big" match I'd say he hasn't bottled was the quarter final of the Cup in 2008 - we played well there and showed fight. Whilst we won the semi final, we were against a poor Barnsley side (granted, who'd beaten some big teams on the way), but we should have smashed them (as we did a few weeks later in Ninian) and we ended up narrowly winning 1-0 and they almost scored - if they had, I'm convinced we'd have lost that match!

To get up, you'd have to win against better teams than that (either in a play-off final or a succession of games on the way to getting the automatic slot), and I just can't see him doing it for us.

If our ambition is to remain in the championship, Jones is definitely the man.

If we want to press on (all be it with the possibility of thing going wrong), then we need a new Manager and take the risk. I'd rather be in league 1 having tried something new and it failing than go through another six years of the passionless safety first stuff we've had from jones!

Sun May 22, 2011 5:01 pm

I would like to know if it happens that Jonesy stays on will people on here be pleased, not pleased or indifferent, also would people be optomistic that he could pull it off next season? Opinions vary and I personally would be disappointed as I believe he's already given it his best shot and failed.

Sun May 22, 2011 5:06 pm

CF64 BLUE wrote:I would like to know if it happens that Jonesy stays on will people on here be pleased, not pleased or indifferent, also would people be optomistic that he could pull it off next season? Opinions vary and I personally would be disappointed as I believe he's already given it his best shot and failed.

Gutted, absolutely gutted if he stays on.

An average manager would keep us in this division.

Sun May 22, 2011 5:10 pm

I would find it very difficult to support the team with jones pulling the strings again! We all know what happens at the end of each season......

Sun May 22, 2011 5:11 pm

Merlin wrote:I would find it very difficult to support the team with jones pulling the strings again! We all know what happens at the end of each season......

I would feel exactly the same Merlin :(

Sun May 22, 2011 5:29 pm

THis is where I think people are really harsh on Jonesy, on one of the replies here it says "if Barnsley had scored in that semi final, im convinved we would have lost"
Your basically slating Jonesy for even winning a game, nevermind losing one. He took us to an FA Cup final, best moment of my City life, better than the playoff final, which is also another final iv been fortunate to go to under Jonesy. Fair enough if u want him to move on, but no point slating him anymore. Leave it be

Sun May 22, 2011 6:00 pm

Pontypool_Bluebird wrote:THis is where I think people are really harsh on Jonesy, on one of the replies here it says "if Barnsley had scored in that semi final, im convinved we would have lost"
Your basically slating Jonesy for even winning a game, nevermind losing one. He took us to an FA Cup final, best moment of my City life, better than the playoff final, which is also another final iv been fortunate to go to under Jonesy. Fair enough if u want him to move on, but no point slating him anymore. Leave it be

There comes a time when a manager can no longer take his club any further and I think that point has been reached now with him and a lot of fans are now convinced that Jonesy's on his way, he's not popular with a lot of fans either as he has a tendency to belittle people from this part of the world whether that be intentional or unintentional the fact is he does it, but despite these things the Malaysians have to look at it in a businesslike way and make their decision on cold hard facts which leaves the possibility that they may think he can do the business for us and believe he needs another chance to prove it. :?