Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Superinjunction Farce

Sat May 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that this business is getting stupid, when a simple Google search will reveal the name of the footballer involved. The lawyers involved must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Re: Superinjunction Farce

Sat May 21, 2011 8:44 pm

This was interesting

http://twitter.com/#!/search/ryan%20giggs

Sun May 22, 2011 2:53 am

the irony is if "whoever" was with Imogen had put his hand up when the news broke it would have blown over in a week; all they have done with a super injunction is keep it is the papers for weeks

not very bright laddie :old:

Sun May 22, 2011 6:35 am

This is screaming out for a test case.

Imogen should get herself some sort of platform and just blurt out his name, see what the courts do. Seems one rule for the rich and another for everyone else. Very unusual that she could openly tell the truth and go to jail.

In life you make mistakes and a test of your character is how you deal with them. People get caught out having affairs every day, they do not have the option to act like scared kids and chuck money at something so their partners do not find out. Grow a pair and face the music when you make a mistake, that's life. They love the plaudits of success, you get a feeling for their real worth when the pressure is on.

Sun May 22, 2011 7:44 am

Midfield general wrote:
Its comtempt of court if you do it and what would you get for that..? Worst is a jail sentence but won't be for long would it..?

I wouldn't have thought it would be much of a sentence, especially as you add the outcry about the validity of these injunctions. She'd get the publicity she probably wants, that's for sure.

It could kill off these super injunctions. How do they evidence the affect it would have on their life if Injunctions were not given? The rest of the country seem to survive without them. They want to celebrity status and the money but cannot face the downside of their status.

Sun May 22, 2011 7:45 am

Wayne S wrote:This is screaming out for a test case.

Imogen should get herself some sort of platform and just blurt out his name, see what the courts do. Seems one rule for the rich and another for everyone else. Very unusual that she could openly tell the truth and go to jail.

In life you make mistakes and a test of your character is how you deal with them. People get caught out having affairs every day, they do not have the option to act like scared kids and chuck money at something so their partners do not find out. Grow a pair and face the music when you make a mistake, that's life. They love the plaudits of success, you get a feeling for their real worth when the pressure is on.

Well, I'd disagree.

Would it be newsworthy if you had an affair? Is it newsworthy if anybody has an affair? No.

When there are kids involved, why should it become public knowledge, leading them to get abuse at school etc?

And even more so, I'm sick to death of the tabloid view that some woman has an affair ( re: one night stand ) with a celeb, then hires Max Clifford and a story starts to emerge. Funnily enough there's more important news happening in the world.

Having said that, some superinjunctions are bs. Just that if you read the ruling in this particular footballers case, it seems there's evidence a large part of it may well have been deliberately constructed to get photos of Imogen and AN Other together, to build a tabloid story - meaning more money for Imogen. I'd say that's pretty disgusting.

Sun May 22, 2011 7:54 am

I was watching BBC News the other morning and they had an argument about it. It was quite interesting. There was the view from the lawyers where they felt a super injunction was necessary to protect the identity of those involved to stop reputations being tarnished in case the information was incorrect but then you had the papers who used the example of Strauss-Kahn where they said super injunctions can allow devious individuals to get away with things that would otherwise ruin their public persona and in sense they are therefore conning the public. Not only that but they questioned if the public deserve to know if an individual has habits such as, in Strauss-Kahn's case, being a sexual depraved individual.

Personally, I don't give a shit and I certainly can't see Twitter getting sued. It doesn't seem viable at all. If Twitter are successfully sued it opens a whole can of worms.