Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Whittingham..

Sat May 21, 2011 2:41 pm

is he out of contract this summer? Just wondering, cause we only paid 350k for him, we could at least 2m for him now :ayatollah:

Re: Whittingham..

Sat May 21, 2011 2:42 pm

he signed a new contract last season i think then his form dipped :|

Sat May 21, 2011 2:42 pm

I thought he signed a new contract just after xmas

Sat May 21, 2011 2:43 pm

ccfc1981 wrote:he signed a new contract last season i think then his form dipped :|

A new manager could easily get the best out of him. I feel DJ taught him a way to play last season, but then this season teams figured how to break him down. Thats why he's dipped in and out of form. :ayatollah:

Sat May 21, 2011 2:44 pm

Bledd10 wrote:
ccfc1981 wrote:he signed a new contract last season i think then his form dipped :|

A new manager could easily get the best out of him. I feel DJ taught him a way to play last season, but then this season teams figured how to break him down. Thats why he's dipped in and out of form. :ayatollah:

yeah was a different system this year too didnt work so well for him.

Sat May 21, 2011 2:51 pm

I dont know that his form did dip. Personaly I thought he became a better all round player. His tracking back and tackling improved, and his work rate definitely went up.
He was switched from one position to another every game and rarely played with the same person in midfield or behind him.
He didnt score as many goals but we had others taking free kicks, and he wasnt playing out wide as much.

Oh and I think he did sign a contract.

Sat May 21, 2011 4:09 pm

whitts needs to go, maybe he needs a change, but all this blowing hot and cold air, aint good enough for us :roll:

Sat May 21, 2011 4:15 pm

people seem to forget hes score like over 30 goals for us in two seasons, got almost as many assists, and covers way more ground than people seem to realise during a match

hes definitely a left midfielder and not a centre midfielder though

Sat May 21, 2011 7:46 pm

scott_w_ccfc wrote:people seem to forget hes score like over 30 goals for us in two seasons, got almost as many assists, and covers way more ground than people seem to realise during a match

Totally agree, we need to keep whitts and play him in his proper position.

Sat May 21, 2011 7:54 pm

wdb2721 wrote:
scott_w_ccfc wrote:people seem to forget hes score like over 30 goals for us in two seasons, got almost as many assists, and covers way more ground than people seem to realise during a match

Totally agree, we need to keep whitts and play him in his proper position.

sorry to disagree, but whitts is the plyer you want in our team to reach the play offs, im hoping next season, if hes not gone. hes on the bench :roll:

Sat May 21, 2011 8:10 pm

ninianblue wrote:whitts needs to go, maybe he needs a change, but all this blowing hot and cold air, aint good enough for us :roll:

Don't confuse him with Dave Jones :lol:

Seriously though, Whittingham is quality. As has been said on here already his goal tally this year isn't as big as he has been moved around quite a bit. At times this season he's even played on the right (Swansea away springs to mind). But when he was first played in the middle alongside Olofinjana around October time when we were on a roll, e.g Leeds away, I didn't hear anyone questioning his tackling etc. He was actually putting more than a foot in then for some of you that hadn't noticed, :roll: as well as providing the creativity and assists/goals. But the pairing of him & Olofinjana hasn't worked that well ever since (mainly because of the latter losing his form dramatically, and Whitts having to take on way more work than he is capable of), and I still believe that he was at his best in the middle in a three-man central midfield, with Drinkwater (you wonder what we'd have achieved had he stayed) acting as a box-to-box midfielder and Olofinjana's duties solely confined to protecting the back four (and when this was his main and only role, he was unstoppable). This allowed Whitts to act as a playmaker, like I've mentioned, doing all the creative stuff and keeping the ball moving, much the way McPhail does (switching play etc.). His natural position is obviously on the left and while I'd like to see him revert to this role in the near future, I believe that he's improved & developed immeasurably as a centre midfielder over the course of the season, and can be called upon whenever we need one !

P.S
For anyone who questions his work-rate, I think I'm correct in saying that he is one of the hardest workers we have, the stuff they use for this (it's called ProZone I think :? ) back this up, in fact I'm pretty sure Dave Jones himself said this a while back, either this or last season anyway :lol:

Sat May 21, 2011 8:17 pm

we could have done with his 25 goals this season,hes a player that will have umm, 15 good games a season, yeah, mediocre, i would like him on the bench next season? :roll:

Sat May 21, 2011 8:22 pm

ninianblue wrote:we could have done with his 25 goals this season,hes a player that will have umm, 15 good games a season, yeah, mediocre, i would like him on the bench next season? :roll:

Fair enough, that's your opinion.

We can't let him leave though !

Sat May 21, 2011 9:54 pm

one of the best passers free kicks player weve had down there in a very long time weve got nobody creative in midfield take whitts out and we would be nothing very underated

Sat May 21, 2011 9:55 pm

bluestar wrote:one of the best passers free kicks player weve had down there in a very long time weve got nobody creative in midfield take whitts out and we would be nothing very underated

Exactly :ayatollah:

Sat May 21, 2011 10:34 pm

What a goal by whitts - World Class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3LVoIihU4U :ayatollah:

Sun May 22, 2011 10:51 am

griff105 wrote:I dont know that his form did dip. Personaly I thought he became a better all round player. His tracking back and tackling improved, and his work rate definitely went up.
He was switched from one position to another every game and rarely played with the same person in midfield or behind him.
He didnt score as many goals but we had others taking free kicks, and he wasnt playing out wide as much.

Oh and I think he did sign a contract.

This^^^^^^^

I thought he was one of our most consistent players this season, created quite a bit and chipped in with a few goals, who will ever forget that goal against Barnsley??

He was our best player towards the end of the season even when the likes of Kev and Keinan were making mistakes.