Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FAO StanQPR about Jay Bothroyd

Fri May 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Stan, just thought id give you the other side of Bothroyd since all ive read about him on your topic about him is negative posts...

it was only 6 months ago that i said to my mate i go to watch Cardiff with that he was the most talented player ive ever seen down Cardiff, for the first 6 months of this season and the whole of last season, he was absolutely outstanding...

all our play went through him, he held the ball up brilliantly, chipped in with goals and assists, has alot of pace for a big man and a fantastic first touch... when he didnt play, Cardiff played poorly, without exception... in fact since he's been playing poorly for the last 6 months of this season, Cardiff have been playing poorly too, which is no coincidence

he is a real top class player when hes on form, unfortunately football fans are very short-minded and only remember what hes done for the last 6 months rather than the 18 months before that when he was our most influential player, i dont consider him to be particularly lazy either, anyone watching the game back when we beat Leeds 4-0 at elland road this season would see that actually

what i will say, even though im sure you know this, is he does spend way too much time on the ground, dives at the first sign of contact and dives without contact alot of the time, also, i feel he doesnt score anywhere near enough goals with his head for someone over 6ft tall

however....
if i were a premier league manager for say Everton, Sunderland, Villa or.... QPR.... i would definitely take a punt on him for free because i think you will find that, on form, he's more than good enough for the Premier League, you dont get an England call up if youre a poor player, and he fully deserved that at the time, i was calling for him to get a call up for months before that.... he just really let himself down, form-wise, for the 2nd half of this season, but any striker can go through a bad run of form...

he's a top striker

Re: FAO StanQPR about Jay Bothroyd

Fri May 20, 2011 8:47 pm

Quality player on a free, it's a no brainer.

Fri May 20, 2011 10:00 pm

scott_w_ccfc wrote:Stan, just thought id give you the other side of Bothroyd since all ive read about him on your topic about him is negative posts...

it was only 6 months ago that i said to my mate i go to watch Cardiff with that he was the most talented player ive ever seen down Cardiff, for the first 6 months of this season and the whole of last season, he was absolutely outstanding...

all our play went through him, he held the ball up brilliantly, chipped in with goals and assists, has alot of pace for a big man and a fantastic first touch... when he didnt play, Cardiff played poorly, without exception... in fact since he's been playing poorly for the last 6 months of this season, Cardiff have been playing poorly too, which is no coincidence

he is a real top class player when hes on form, unfortunately football fans are very short-minded and only remember what hes done for the last 6 months rather than the 18 months before that when he was our most influential player, i dont consider him to be particularly lazy either, anyone watching the game back when we beat Leeds 4-0 at elland road this season would see that actually

what i will say, even though im sure you know this, is he does spend way too much time on the ground, dives at the first sign of contact and dives without contact alot of the time, also, i feel he doesnt score anywhere near enough goals with his head for someone over 6ft tall

however....
if i were a premier league manager for say Everton, Sunderland, Villa or.... QPR.... i would definitely take a punt on him for free because i think you will find that, on form, he's more than good enough for the Premier League, you dont get an England call up if youre a poor player, and he fully deserved that at the time, i was calling for him to get a call up for months before that.... he just really let himself down, form-wise, for the 2nd half of this season, but any striker can go through a bad run of form...

he's a top striker

Top post mate.

Tbh I agree JB has an abundance of ability & is a very good player but obviously I don't get to watch him live anywhere near as much as yourself. At the start of the season he was on a lot of people's lips as his performances were top draw & he was proving to be the player everyone knew he could be, I saw him at our place in November I think it was in our 2-1 win & thought he looked OK, not brilliant but OK. Since the turn of the year I've seen him a fair few times on the box & tied in with lots that I read on here & I've gotta say I've been really disappointed in him. As I mentioned in my thread he looks like a player that's given up, he doesn't do any of the things a hungry player would do, he doesn't fighht for the ball when he loses it he just moans at the ref, he hits the deck at least 20 times a game & tbh he doesn't even look that dangerous around the penalty area. Of course we know what POTENTIAL & ABILITY he has just look at his goal against us an absolute worldy but its to few & far between for me.

Hand on heart he's not my kind of player I like work horses like we have with Mackie & Helguson & you have with Bellamy. Bothroyd could learn a few things from good honest pro's like that.

What I will say though on the flip side is that 1 if anyone can get the best out of him I'd say Warnock could & 2 for free as mentioned above it really is a no brainer as he is I believe a £3m player so if we get him great lets see what new surroundings & a new gaffer will do for him, if we don't I won't lose any sleep over it. Win win.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri May 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:
scott_w_ccfc wrote:Stan, just thought id give you the other side of Bothroyd since all ive read about him on your topic about him is negative posts...

however....

he's a top striker

Top post mate.

Tbh I agree JB has an abundance of ability & is a very good player but obviously I don't get to watch him live anywhere near as much as yourself. At the start of the season he was on a lot of people's lips as his performances were top draw & he was proving to be the player everyone knew he could be, I saw him at our place in November I think it was in our 2-1 win & thought he looked OK, not brilliant but OK. Since the turn of the year I've seen him a fair few times on the box & tied in with lots that I read on here & I've gotta say I've been really disappointed in him. As I mentioned in my thread he looks like a player that's given up, he doesn't do any of the things a hungry player would do, he doesn't fighht for the ball when he loses it he just moans at the ref, he hits the deck at least 20 times a game & tbh he doesn't even look that dangerous around the penalty area. Of course we know what POTENTIAL & ABILITY he has just look at his goal against us an absolute worldy but its to few & far between for me.

Hand on heart he's not my kind of player I like work horses like we have with Mackie & Helguson & you have with Bellamy. Bothroyd could learn a few things from good honest pro's like that.

What I will say though on the flip side is that 1 if anyone can get the best out of him I'd say Warnock could & 2 for free as mentioned above it really is a no brainer as he is I believe a £3m player so if we get him great lets see what new surroundings & a new gaffer will do for him, if we don't I won't lose any sleep over it. Win win.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

fair enough mate, if he does go to you, which is unlikely to happen at the moment id say, let us know what you think of him

if he's anywhere near the level he was at for 18 months for us, you wont go down next year, i guarantee that