Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tsunami Wave

Fri May 20, 2011 8:14 pm

This picture was taken on the banks of Sumatra Island (the height of waves was of approx. 32 m = 105 ft). It was found saved in a digital camera, after the disaster.

We dont know for sure, but likely the one who took this is not alive any more (it was just a matter of seconds). :( :( :(

Re: Tsunami Wave

Fri May 20, 2011 8:18 pm

That's a cloud, surely? :shock:

Fri May 20, 2011 8:19 pm

if thats genuine, and not the work of some software geek. that is frightning :o

Fri May 20, 2011 8:20 pm

It's a hoax.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/tsunami-wave-sumatra.shtml

Fri May 20, 2011 8:22 pm

MalagaCF wrote:This picture was taken on the banks of Sumatra Island (the height of waves was of approx. 32 m = 105 ft). It was found saved in a digital camera, after the disaster.

We dont know for sure, but likely the one who took this is not alive any more (it was just a matter of seconds). :( :( :(

WTF Where did you find that ? But that will pale into insignificance if an island of the coast of Africa i think collapses you to a Volcanic eruption would cause an Super Tsunami that would reach a height of 650 meters high that is over 2000 ft. And that would head straight for America. Taking out the entire coast including New York Miami ETC. And they say its not if but when.

Fri May 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Frodo wrote:It's a hoax.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/tsunami-wave-sumatra.shtml

Thanks god for that. :ayatollah:

Fri May 20, 2011 8:29 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:WTF Where did you find that ? But that will pale into insignificance if an island of the coast of Africa i think collapses you to a Volcanic eruption would cause an Super Tsunami that would reach a height of 650 meters high that is over 2000 ft. And that would head straight for America. Taking out the entire coast including New York Miami ETC. And they say its not if but when.

I think you're talking about the island of La Palma in the Canary Islands?

The island is essentially a volcano, and during a future erruption half of it could potentially slide into the Atlantic in one piece causing a giant mega tsunami. I've seen the documentary and it's scary! Swiss scientists did a test in their wave tank using conservative estimates, and recorded an initial wave hight of 700 metres! :o

That research was a few years ago, so not sure if things have changed?

Fri May 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Frodo wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:WTF Where did you find that ? But that will pale into insignificance if an island of the coast of Africa i think collapses you to a Volcanic eruption would cause an Super Tsunami that would reach a height of 650 meters high that is over 2000 ft. And that would head straight for America. Taking out the entire coast including New York Miami ETC. And they say its not if but when.

I think you're talking about the island of La Palma in the Canary Islands?

The island is essentially a volcano, and during a future erruption half of it could potentially slide into the Atlantic in one piece causing a giant mega tsunami. I've seen the documentary and it's scary! Swiss scientists did a test in their wave tank using conservative estimates, and recorded an initial wave hight of 700 metres! :o

That's the one Chief. It is very scary the Island is one massive tank of water which has stored for millions of years. In an eruption it would heat the water and it would expand resulting in half the island tipping into the sea. In 1948 the island slipped a few metres and then stopped. The next eruption or the 50th eruption could lead to this. Its a case of when it happens.

Fri May 20, 2011 8:42 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Frodo wrote:I think you're talking about the island of La Palma in the Canary Islands?

That's the one Chief. It is very scary the Island is one massive tank of water which has stored for millions of years. In an eruption it would heat the water and it would expand resulting in half the island tipping into the sea. In 1948 the island slipped a few metres and then stopped. The next eruption or the 50th eruption could lead to this. Its a case of when it happens.

That'd be the one. Scary stuff! :shock:

Worth watching if it's on, or if you can get it on youtube.

Fri May 20, 2011 8:46 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
MalagaCF wrote:This picture was taken on the banks of Sumatra Island (the height of waves was of approx. 32 m = 105 ft). It was found saved in a digital camera, after the disaster.

WTF Where did you find that ? But that will pale into insignificance if an island of the coast of Africa i think collapses you to a Volcanic eruption would cause an Super Tsunami that would reach a height of 650 meters high that is over 2000 ft. And that would head straight for America. Taking out the entire coast including New York Miami ETC. And they say its not if but when.

i think you are talking about one of the canary islands, there`s a steep piece of land maybe cliff that ain`t that secure , just a small earthquake/ volcano will set it off :ayatollah:

Fri May 20, 2011 8:48 pm

If anyone's interested the documentary is on youtube and well worth watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhNHeAFdsUw

Fri May 20, 2011 8:50 pm

evil c wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

i think you are talking about one of the canary islands, there`s a steep piece of land maybe cliff that ain`t that secure , just a small earthquake/ volcano will set it off :ayatollah:

just noticed the reply above mine, i`m way too slow :lol:

Fri May 20, 2011 8:56 pm

maynard! i think thats a dust storm probably hitting the subburbs of melbourne! methinks!! lol! :lol:

Fri May 20, 2011 9:04 pm

doooomed we're all doooooomed I tell you :old:

Fri May 20, 2011 9:06 pm

Einstein wrote:doooomed we're all doooooomed I tell you :old:

NO JUST EVERY ONE ON THE EAST COAST OF AMERICA :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri May 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

Funnily enough the documentary in question is on the Eden documentary channel right now!

Fri May 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Frodo wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

Funnily enough the documentary in question is on the Eden documentary channel right now!

I have seen the documentary Chief its a recommend viewing :ayatollah:

Fri May 20, 2011 9:22 pm

thats not sumatra, it doesnt look anything like that. i know because i have been there. to me it looks exactly like one of the many huge fog banks that roll in off the california coast at dusk time frequently. saw one when i was in santa monica a few years ago, freaked me right out as i wonderd what it was but it happens all the time. as if a digital camera would survive a tsunami that big ffs.

Fri May 20, 2011 9:22 pm

thats not Sumatra Island its the clouds looming over dave jones's house

Fri May 20, 2011 9:25 pm

jinks-rct wrote:thats not Sumatra Island its the clouds looming over dave jones's house

:lol:

Fri May 20, 2011 9:37 pm

Frodo wrote:
jinks-rct wrote:thats not Sumatra Island its the clouds looming over dave jones's house

:lol:

Thank God he sold his horses :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri May 20, 2011 9:41 pm

its, as stated a dust cloud over OZ

but interestingly there is a yank who say an earthquake (well sunarmi-volcanic erruption) is going to end tomorrow, hes in carolina, which is one of the states thats gonna go under water, wonder what odds you can get on it hapening tomorrow :D

Fri May 20, 2011 9:51 pm

it looks like a sandstorm :?

Fri May 20, 2011 10:05 pm

HELLO ITS A HOAX

The photograph is certainly a compelling one. However, it does not show a tsunami wave nor was it taken in Sumatra. The description that comes with the image is pure nonsense. In fact, the photograph shows a massive dust storm that hit the town of Griffith, NSW Australia on November 13 2002.

Code:
The residents of Griffith rushed to seal their houses at dusk yesterday as a fierce dust storm raced into the town without warning, propelled by winds of up to 90 kilometres an hour.

Rolling in from the south west after a scorching day of 36C, homes were engulfed by the cloud which turned the sky pitch black.

The storm cloud was three kilometres from the town when this photograph was taken by local electrical engineer Denis Couch. Within five minutes it reached his home and simply took over, the winds spreading gritty dust around for an hour.

"I've seen dust storms but I don't think I've ever seen anything as exotic as that," Mr Couch said. Griffith had "just under an inch" of rain almost two months ago, and nothing since, he added.

The original photograph has a date stamp of "12.11.2002" (November 12, 2002). The prankster who launched this hoax apparently removed the date stamp because it would have immediately destroyed the illusion that the photograph was taken during the 2004 tsunami.

Fri May 20, 2011 10:20 pm

The Premier 1 wrote:HELLO ITS A HOAX

Yes, it was pointed out about the third reply. ;)

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:03 am

What would happen if another tsunami was to hit Sumatra again ? Like if a Tsunami as great as the Boxing Day Tsunami was hit sumatra again. What would happen ?

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:52 am

its not a tsunami, its a dust storm :lol: happened in america not so long ago

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:22 am

SAND STORMMMMMM!

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:29 am

Bit like this one.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:46 am

There is only going to be one winner when mother nature is pissed off, them poor people.