Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Was Reaching The Playoffs This Season Such A Good Result ?

Fri May 20, 2011 9:23 am

Well Dave Jones told us it was in fact he went a little further by saying Cardiff City were the only club to reach a playoff final, lose and then reach the playoffs in the following season. An interest statistic that and if it was a fact you would have to say in all fairness that getting to the playoffs this season was a very creditable result. So is that statement a FACT or just another piece of spin from Jones,here are the FACTS.

It is absolutely untrue as in season 2003/04 West Ham Utd lost out in the playoffs (final) to Crystal Place but reached the playoff final in season 2004/05 where they beat Preston in the final. Two other clubs Sunderland (2004) and West Brom (2007) who both lost in the playoffs during that season didn't need to worry about the playoffs the following season as both got automatic promotion. These result have all happened since Football League Division 1 was rebranded to the Football League Championship so where do these facts leave Dave Jones assertion that no other club who lost in a playoff final has reached the playoffs the following season, SPIN maybe Clutching at straws or just downright misrepresentation aimed at disguising the extent of his failure this season.

If you go back further 4 other clubs have lost a Championship, FL Division 1 or FL Division 2 (All the same level) playoff final who went on to gain automatic promotion the following season - West Brom (2001), Sunderland (1998), Middlesbrough (1991) and Chelsea ( 1988).

Also there have been a futher 7 occasions where a club has lost in the playoffs to qualify for the playoffs the following season, on 3 of these occasion the club has reached the final, won and got promoted Bolton Wanders (2001), Crystal Palace (1996), Leicester City (1994), on the other 4 occasions these clubs reached the playoffs in succesive seasons but lost Bolton Wanderers (2000), Sheffield Utd (1998), Leicester City (1992) and Blackburn Rovers (1989).

So the FACTS blow Dave Jones claims about Cardiff City completely out of the water anyone really surprised. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Re: Was Reaching The Playoffs This Season Such A Good Result ?

Fri May 20, 2011 12:58 pm

Not surprised at all.

Just more spin from DJ but now everyone is seeing through it. This guy needs to go now before he becomes a real hate figure if he is not one already.

Fri May 20, 2011 1:09 pm

I don't recall seeing Jones say that anywhere. I'm not saying he hasn't, I just don't remember him saying that. Given the squad we had though missing out on automatic was shit.

Fri May 20, 2011 1:13 pm

I'm fed up with talking about last season/how bad some think DJ is.....whats done is done, DJ is DJ and looks like he'll be gone. Thats me done im looking forward to a summer of fun!!!

Come on Carl get them fingers working, think your gonna need em :D :D

Fri May 20, 2011 2:11 pm

castleblue wrote:Well Dave Jones told us it was in fact he went a little further by saying Cardiff City were the only club to reach a playoff final, lose and then reach the playoffs in the following season. An interest statistic that and if it was a fact you would have to say in all fairness that getting to the playoffs this season was a very creditable result. So is that statement a FACT or just another piece of spin from Jones,here are the FACTS.

It is absolutely untrue as in season 2003/04 West Ham Utd lost out in the playoffs (final) to Crystal Place but reached the playoff final in season 2004/05 where they beat Preston in the final. Two other clubs Sunderland (2004) and West Brom (2007) who both lost in the playoffs during that season didn't need to worry about the playoffs the following season as both got automatic promotion. These result have all happened since Football League Division 1 was rebranded to the Football League Championship so where do these facts leave Dave Jones assertion that no other club who lost in a playoff final has reached the playoffs the following season, SPIN maybe Clutching at straws or just downright misrepresentation aimed at disguising the extent of his failure this season.

If you go back further 4 other clubs have lost a Championship, FL Division 1 or FL Division 2 (All the same level) playoff final who went on to gain automatic promotion the following season - West Brom (2001), Sunderland (1998), Middlesbrough (1991) and Chelsea ( 1988).

Also there have been a futher 7 occasions where a club has lost in the playoffs to qualify for the playoffs the following season, on 3 of these occasion the club has reached the final, won and got promoted Bolton Wanders (2001), Crystal Palace (1996), Leicester City (1994), on the other 4 occasions these clubs reached the playoffs in succesive seasons but lost Bolton Wanderers (2000), Sheffield Utd (1998), Leicester City (1992) and Blackburn Rovers (1989).

So the FACTS blow Dave Jones claims about Cardiff City completely out of the water anyone really surprised. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Where did you see this. I haven't seen Dj say it anywhere.

Not doubing you but a source would ne nice.

Fri May 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Not surprised at all.

Just more spin from DJ but now everyone is seeing through it. This guy needs to go now before he becomes a real hate figure if he is not one already.

Who says he's a hate figure????

I know there's benn criticism on both messageboards.

But we are not that important!!!!!!!

Fri May 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Not surprised at all.

Who says he's a hate figure????

I know there's benn criticism on both messageboards.

But we are not that important!!!!!!!

Fri May 20, 2011 2:55 pm

Elwood Blues wrote:
castleblue wrote:Well Dave Jones told us it was in fact he went a little further by saying Cardiff City were the only club to reach a playoff final, lose and then reach the playoffs in the following season. An interest statistic that and if it was a fact you would have to say in all fairness that getting to the playoffs this season was a very creditable result. So is that statement a FACT or just another piece of spin from Jones,here are the FACTS.

Where did you see this. I haven't seen Dj say it anywhere.

Not doubing you but a source would ne nice.

It's on Cardiff City Player he said it in the interview immediately before the Reading game at the Madjeski he was moaning about expectation levels and it was still a good achievement to reach the playoffs because no other team that has lost a final had reached the playoffs the following year.

Just more smoke & mirrors from a man desperate to deflect attention away from the level of failure this season, I couldn't beleve it at the time because I knew for a fact that West Ham had done it a few years ago. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri May 20, 2011 6:01 pm

IsThatUJohnWayne wrote:I'm fed up with talking about last season/how bad some think DJ is.....whats done is done, DJ is DJ and looks like he'll be gone. Thats me done im looking forward to a summer of fun!!!

Come on Carl get them fingers working, think your gonna need em :D :D

Yes, and the minute that Jones goes I will immediately cheer up, but until then, I'm still terrified he will be our Manager in August! :(

Fri May 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Us fans can be quite fickle at times. I predicted 8th at the start of the season. It was doom and gloom during pre-season, but then we managed the play-offs. Think of the other clubs that finished outside the top 6. Unfortunately Jones had a good squad to gain promotion but didnt. Is it his fault or the players? Both I would say. :o :o

Sat May 21, 2011 4:02 pm

its better than relegation...